The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amir Khan

+47
eirebilly
trottb
Knowsit17
Nico the gman
Rowley
JDandfries
Super D Boon
supremeskills
Captain Lucas
Strongback
OasisBFC
oxring
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
The genius of PBF
milkyboy
fearlessBamber
Waingro
PPVxHOTTY
monzon
JabMachine
Geb85
Boxtthis
jbeadlesbigrighthand
The Galveston Giant
jammin
BallchinianMuffwig
paperbag_puncher
Herman Jaeger
TopHat24/7
TRUSSMAN66
Jon El
Imperial Ghosty
horizontalhero
Steffan
lovely_london
superflyweight
Valero's Conscience
bhb001
manos de piedra
Bob
ShahenshahG
sodhat
88Chris05
Scottrf
ONETWOFOREVER
huw
azania
51 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Amir Khan - Page 2 Empty Amir Khan

Post by azania Wed 07 Dec 2011, 2:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

Why are so many hating on him? He wants to fight Floyd. Good for him. Yet some criticise him for that. He beat Maidana. Many criticise him for not standing toe to toe. He says he wants to fight the best. He's called arrogant.

When Hatton said the sme thing he became a british institution and hero or the masses.

Why the double standards? Has Khan got a point when he claims its his ethnicity that many of his detractors have issues with?

azania

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan - Page 2 Empty Re: Amir Khan

Post by azania Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:06 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:I think he is trying to be Azania without the mercurial wit, vast knowledge and lacking the courage of his (usually wrong) Convictions. Azania = Kerry Katona + Wikipedia - he's breeding em faster than we can kill em.

I dont know whether to laugh or be offended! Erm

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:08 pm

azania wrote:lovely_london, you say he has been fighting bums. So who should he be fighting in his weight class.

Please answer. Who has he avoided?

He needs to move up a weight class. He should have moved up after Maidana as the competition is poor in his division. Just like Haye it is important to move up a division where there are better fighters.

And it's no excuse to say he wants to fight everyone in his division. If those figters are poor it does not make khan good for beating them

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:08 pm

lovely_london wrote:He needs to move up a weight class.
OK. When he does, don't say he's avoiding XXX at LWW then.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:11 pm

lovely_london wrote:
azania wrote:lovely_london, you say he has been fighting bums. So who should he be fighting in his weight class.

He needs to move up a weight class. He should have moved up after Maidana as the competition is poor in his division. Just like Haye it is important to move up a division where there are better fighters.

And it's no excuse to say he wants to fight everyone in his division. If those figters are poor it does not make khan good for beating them

He's a LWW for goodness sake. He has to grow into the division. Plus if he moved up you would be saying he ducked other LWW.

Why doesn't he move up to MW of even cruiser. Weight hopping is ridiculous. Credit to hm for cleaning up a division before moving up.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:13 pm

azania wrote:
lovely_london wrote:

He's a LWW for goodness sake. He has to grow into the division. Plus if he moved up you would be saying he ducked other LWW.

Why doesn't he move up to MW of even cruiser. Weight hopping is ridiculous. Credit to hm for cleaning up a division before moving up.

But cleaning up a division of C level fighters with the odd B level fighter does not make Khan great. He is average.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:14 pm

lovely_london wrote:
azania wrote:
lovely_london wrote:

But cleaning up a division of C level fighters with the odd B level fighter does not make Khan great. He is average.

So who should he have fought at WW? Who are these A list fighters at WW?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:16 pm

lovely_london wrote:But cleaning up a division of C level fighters with the odd B level fighter does not make Khan great. He is average.

That moment you decide to leave the conversation...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:18 pm

I think the Ring top 10 for each division must be 5 bums and 5 average fighters.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:21 pm

Scottrf wrote:I think the Ring top 10 for each division must be 5 bums and 5 average fighters.

Depending who Khan fights though. If he fights and beats the No 1 that guy them becomes a bum.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:21 pm

tell me who he has fought that makes him this great fighter?

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:22 pm

lovely_london wrote:

No no no. Tell me who he should have fought at WW after he fought Maidana at LWW.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:23 pm

lovely_london wrote:

Aaron Pryor and Kostya Tyzyu.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:27 pm

azania wrote:
lovely_london wrote:

No no no. Tell me who he should have fought at WW after he fought Maidana at LWW.

You're arguing he is a great fighter and does not deservve criticism so please tell me who he has fought that makes him great. failure to answer this just proves he fights B level fighters only.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 07 Dec 2011, 10:41 pm

lovely_london wrote:
azania wrote:
lovely_london wrote:

You're arguing he is a great fighter and does not deservve criticism so please tell me who he has fought that makes him great. failure to answer this just proves he fights B level fighters only.

No. I haven't used the adjective great next to Khan. You are attributing that to me. I reserve the work for Floyd and Paq wrt currect and active fighters. You have claimed that all he has fought has been bums and that he should have moved to WW. So who at WW should he have fought that was available and above the current level of fighters he already fought and beaten.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 07 Dec 2011, 11:10 pm

lovely_london wrote:You're arguing he is a great fighter and does not deservve criticism so please tell me who he has fought that makes him great. failure to answer this just proves he fights B level fighters only.

Spoiler:

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Wed 07 Dec 2011, 11:11 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:The guy has been wrapped up in cotton wool all his career. His handlers have been very careful with him as he is fragile. He has the ability but not the fighting spirit that's why he is at odds with himself every time an opponent gets inside.

No offence, but that's Love sacks. Look at the heart he showed against Maidana, a pretty hard punchers in most peoples books- he was a great amateur, has won to world titles. He got caught cold against Prescott and that will be held over him like Lewis's loses to McCall and Rahman. But to answer the original question , yes IO reckon his race and religion have a lot to do with it- Anti muslim sentiment in rife in the red top papaers ,and morons like the EDL are depressingly getting a lot of support.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Wed 07 Dec 2011, 11:17 pm

horizontalhero wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:The guy has been wrapped up in cotton wool all his career. His handlers have been very careful with him as he is fragile. He has the ability but not the fighting spirit that's why he is at odds with himself every time an opponent gets inside.

No offence, but that's Love sacks. Look at the heart he showed against Medina, a pretty hard punchers in most peoples books- he was a great amateur, has won to world titles. He got caught cold against Prescott and that will be held over him like Lewis's loses to McCall and Rahman. But to answer the original question , yes IO reckon his race and religion have a lot to do with it- Anti muslim sentiment in rife in the red top papaers ,and morons like the EDL are depressingly getting a lot of support.

Stop talking nonsense. Plenty of muslim boxers get the support of the British public.

Please tell me 5 quality fighters khan has fought in his career? your reply should be an interesting read.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 07 Dec 2011, 11:18 pm

lovely_london wrote:Stop talking nonsense. Plenty of muslim boxers get the support of the British public.

Please tell me 5 quality fighters khan has fought in his career? your reply should be an interesting read.
Maidana, Malignaggi, Kotelnik, Judah, McCloskey.

This game is easy.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 07 Dec 2011, 11:27 pm

Oh and Bradley has been running also. Otherwise Khan would prob be undisputed champ.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Wed 07 Dec 2011, 11:41 pm

Scottrf wrote:
lovely_london wrote:Stop talking nonsense. Plenty of muslim boxers get the support of the British public.

This game is easy.

malinaggi was decent at best about 3 years before he fought Khan. He has no power and his record is very average. mcloskey is pants and is fighting guys like prescott which highlights he is a C level figghter. Judah was good about 5 or 6 years ago but has gone downhill and was not considered a tough opponent when he fought khan. maidana is B+ level and is the highest calibre fighter khan has fought which says it all.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 07 Dec 2011, 11:48 pm

lovely_london wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

This game is easy.

malinaggi was decent at best about 3 years before he fought Khan. He has no power and his record is very average. mcloskey is pants and is fighting guys like prescott which highlights he is a C level figghter. Judah was good about 5 or 6 years ago but has gone downhill and was not considered a tough opponent when he fought khan. maidana is B+ level and is the highest calibre fighter khan has fought which says it all.
Spoiler:

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 07 Dec 2011, 11:57 pm

I dunno what we are allowed to say and not to say on here nowadays but I do think if he were of a "different type of person" he would be more liked by your average person in the these isles

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:14 am

lovely_london wrote:
horizontalhero wrote:

No offence, but that's Love sacks. Look at the heart he showed against Medina, a pretty hard punchers in most peoples books- he was a great amateur, has won to world titles. He got caught cold against Prescott and that will be held over him like Lewis's loses to McCall and Rahman. But to answer the original question , yes IO reckon his race and religion have a lot to do with it- Anti muslim sentiment in rife in the red top papaers ,and morons like the EDL are depressingly getting a lot of support.

Stop talking nonsense. Plenty of muslim boxers get the support of the British public.

Really - who are they? the only other muslim boxers I can think of are Danny Williams,and as he's not of middle eastern decent he is less likely to be seen as such, and Naz, who planty of people hated.

Quality of opposition isn't brilliant but hes's still won two world titles, and is rated as the man at LWW-and he wants to fight Bradley and Mayweather.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:17 am

horizontalhero wrote:
lovely_london wrote:
horizontalhero wrote:

Really - who are they? the only other muslim boxers I can think of are Danny Williams,and as he's not of middle eastern decent he is less likely to be seen as such, and Naz, who planty of people hated.

Quality of opposition isn't brilliant but hes's still won two world titles, and is rated as the man at LWW-and he wants to fight Bradley and Mayweather.

stop bringing race into everything. I know plenty of asians who dislike him so it has nothing to do with racism.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 08 Dec 2011, 2:47 am

Sorry but Kotelnik, Malignaggi, Maidana and Judah are far from being average fighters or bums. They're not going to be troubling any p4p top tens but they are with the exception of Mayweather, Pacquiao and Marquez (a fight with whom was slated as taking on an old man) every bit as good as the likes of Berto and Ortiz at Welterweight.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon El Thu 08 Dec 2011, 9:07 am

horizontalhero wrote:
lovely_london wrote:
horizontalhero wrote:

Muslim boxers? Ali. Tyson.

Jon El

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 08 Dec 2011, 9:17 am

Jon El wrote:Muslim boxers? Ali. Tyson.
He meant famous ones Wink

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 08 Dec 2011, 9:24 am

That word "Hating"....Man how I hate it.......

For me he's doing an excellent job....but hey he's calling out everybody and telling everybody he's the second coming and it leaves him wide open to criticism......

A la Honeyghan, Eubank and Haye....Brits don't like big mouths...

Like I'm saying he's fighting the best around...AVAILABLE.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 08 Dec 2011, 1:05 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:That word "Hating"....Man how I hate it.......

Yeh, it's the kind of word that's only used by, or in the context of, someone who has a non-generic feature but also happens to be a bit of a tool and, rather than looking at the 'tool' bit, blames everyone's dislike on the 'non-generic feature' bit.

Most decent intelligent people don't care whether you're black, white, asian, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, tall, short, gay, straight etc etc, they may well however get disgruntled if you blame one of these reasons for them thinking you're a bit of a knob!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 09 Dec 2011, 1:03 am

Jon El wrote:
horizontalhero wrote:
lovely_london wrote:
horizontalhero wrote:

Muslim boxers? Ali. Tyson.

Sorry , thought we were talking current boxers, and Tyson's conversion lasted about a week

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 09 Dec 2011, 1:08 am

lovely_london wrote:
horizontalhero wrote:
lovely_london wrote:
horizontalhero wrote:

stop bringing race into everything. I know plenty of asians who dislike him so it has nothing to do with racism.

The question in the original post was whether his ethnicity was a factor in his unpopularity- kind of brings race into it doesn't it mate?

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 09 Dec 2011, 4:14 am

The light welterweight division is suddenly looking hot with Soto and now Brandon Rios moving up. Strange that Khan should now declare there's nobody to fight in the division, I mean just as it's getting good.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Fri 09 Dec 2011, 7:00 am

People hate Khan because he talks a lot of nonsense, thinks he's charismatic but is as interesting as a plank of wood a lot of the time. People like Mayweather have the charisma and wit to pull of their trash talk and a lot of it is tongue in cheek whereas Khan is a bit wooden.

He's far from average as a fighter though. His list of opponents isn't amazing buts its good and its hard to think of many 25 year olds these days who have fought opponents as solid at this stage. Has come back well from a crushing defeat and is making noise about fighting the best and will travel. Dunno what else people expect from him. Not his biggest fan but he does receive a lot of undue criticism.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Fri 09 Dec 2011, 7:46 am

When Hatton said the sme thing he became a british institution and hero or the masses

Hatton had earned the right to say that by then, 40 something fights against some former P4Pers and future HOFers, Khans not even had 25 bouts yet and he's not fought any REAL REAL threats so far bar Maidana.

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Fri 09 Dec 2011, 9:12 am

The level of fighter that Khan has had recently is far better than if he had stayed with ol Frank Warren. I give him credit for this, but calling out someone is a far cry from making it happen, so no credit for what is affectively running his mouth off. I think his career is moving in the right direction at the right pace; something I would not have said prior to his loss where he was being protected. To my eyes, he is now interesting again and I look forward to see how far he can go,

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by jammin Fri 09 Dec 2011, 9:50 am

Herman Jaggery wrote:The light welterweight division is suddenly looking hot with Soto and now Brandon Rios moving up. Strange that Khan should now declare there's nobody to fight in the division, I mean just as it's getting good.

Rubbish! The light welterweight has been one of the most if not the most talent rich for the last 12 - 18 months along with the super middles.

The suggestion that he may be moving up to Welter to avoid the likes of Rios is laughable.

jammin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 09 Dec 2011, 11:24 am

jammin wrote:
Herman Jaggery wrote:The light welterweight division is suddenly looking hot with Soto and now Brandon Rios moving up. Strange that Khan should now declare there's nobody to fight in the division, I mean just as it's getting good.

Rubbish! The light welterweight has been one of the most if not the most talent rich for the last 12 - 18 months along with the super middles.

The suggestion that he may be moving up to Welter to avoid the likes of Rios is laughable.

Yeah Khan is too big for the weights to have any trouble with someone moving up.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Fri 09 Dec 2011, 1:18 pm

I really don't get criticism of Khan. It seems to be centred on the fact that he's shot his mouth off a bit, and that he's not yet fought the best in the world.

I can understand the first criticism to some extent. It's not like he's said anything terrible, though. He's also toned this down recently - probably simply a sign of maturity. It's not shock that a young kid who's suddenly catapulted to fame, and is being told he's the best thing since sliced bread should start to believe it. It's to Khan's credit that he hasn't thought he's already made it, but has kept working hard.

Criticisms that he hasn't fought the best aren't particularly fair. You don't walk into major fights, you've got to prove yourself first. Khan's level of opposition has been decent, and he's been setting himself up to get the bigger fights. Yes, he needs to kick on, but it seems he wants to do that.

Some of the other criticisms just seem to be people looking to justify a personal dislike. Khan's had 6 fights at LWW, so I don't see why there should be a huge clamour for him to move up a weight. As for the arguments that he only fights bums because the bookies make him a heavy favourite for his fights - I think an investigation of how odds work would be in order.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Fri 09 Dec 2011, 2:14 pm

Khan has built himself up a decent record and he's moving along nicely against good opposition. He's rightfully getting himself in place for a super fight provided he gets through another tough fight this weekend in Peterson. I don't think people 'hate' him, but it's easy to think of a few aspects of his behaviour that make fans less inclined towards supporting him:

* His 'glass jaw'. Rightly or wrongly this is the perception of him. People usually like their boxers to be tough, and Khan seems a bit fragile.

* The perception that he's always been the 'golden boy' type after winning his olympic medal (which ironically was silver). I think people see that he was carefully matched in his early career, and even now he's been fighting good top ten fighters that kind of suit him and his style. Maidana was the exception here. I think the reason why people liked this fight so much was because they were dying to see Khan in there with someone that could crack - people are kind of waiting on him either proving himself or being exposed.

* His constant discussing of money and deals, etc. I personally hate it when boxers dedicate a lot of their chat towards money and how big of a draw they are, etc (FMJ being the worst). Boxers should fight first and foremost. I don't want to hear about long drawn out financial negotiations. Khan loves talking about stuff like this now that he thinks he's big time.

* His stupid (and frequently badly misspelled) Twitter 'wars' that he has with other boxers

* His slagging off of other British boxers not in his weight class

* His overblown statements about his abilities/achievements that are arrogant to the point of being lies (lots of boxers do this, but it's still a point against him).

These are just some of the reasons I can think of. However, I can't get over these failings as a fan. I think Khan is an exciting boxer to watch and I think more and more that he'll take on really tough fights in the future. If he keeps winning people will come round. He's just not quite as 'likeable' as someone like Hatton.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 09 Dec 2011, 3:08 pm

Nice post Boxthis I agree with your points
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Geb85 Fri 09 Dec 2011, 4:05 pm

If khan fought floyd it's a win win situation for khan! Mayweather gets slagged for fighting Hatton whan a weight above! So fighting khan would add the same if he loses he's screwed if he wins the guys a weight below

Geb85

Back to top Go down

Post by Geb85 Fri 09 Dec 2011, 4:38 pm

Not saying he will lose but u never know

Geb85

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachine Fri 09 Dec 2011, 4:51 pm

Khan has fought the best fighters at his weight consistently, he's been looking for Bradley but that hasn't materialised. You can't say a boxer is "B" grade by rubbishing people he's beaten.

If you beat everyone in your weight division, this means you're a top class boxer - world class, hence the fact he has 2 world titles. You don't defend titles against the top men in your weight division by being anything other than the very best it has to offer.

I think London is a WUM

JabMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Fri 09 Dec 2011, 5:07 pm

I think Khan will beat Peterson. I'd fancy him against Alexander or Bradley, too, but it's doubtful that either of those will fight him. He's the best light-welterweight in the world, and the most exciting (in part down to his sometimes dubious defence, admittedly).

Once he's moved up put him in with Ortiz, Mosley, Berto or Jones and he'd win. He most definitely isn't overrated.

As for why he's not more popular in the UK, well, it's a mixture of things, but certainly little to do with his boxing ability. When he was younger he was quite cocky, especially during the very early days of his professional career and away from the cameras. Also, sadly, you'd be surprised how many people, British or otherwise, still see an Asian person as primarily an Asian person. To a lot of idiots he isn't British. Course, that's stupid, the lad was born in the UK, but even if he wasn't, who cares, he's an excellent fighter and has grown into a positive role model.

I don't know how anybody could watch a fight like his versus Maidana and not want to see him fight again.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Fri 09 Dec 2011, 5:15 pm

I don't know how anybody could watch a fight like his versus Maidana and not want to see him fight again.

Thank god the so called best LWW didnt get tagged any earlier, otherwise Maidana would have walked him down to a UD. Also can you please break down why you fancy him against Bradley, id love to see why he beats Bradley.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 09 Dec 2011, 5:19 pm

maidana couldn't walk him down to the end of that round Laugh

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Fri 09 Dec 2011, 5:21 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:maidana couldn't walk him down to the end of that round Laugh

You know what I meant Smile

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 09 Dec 2011, 6:56 pm

We don't know what you mean at all because Khan survived the Maidana onslaught taking many flush shots on the way before finishing the fight the stronger of the two, he won the fight fair and square so fail to see the relevance of all these what IFs.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Fri 09 Dec 2011, 7:04 pm

PPVxHOTTY wrote:...can you please break down why you fancy him against Bradley, id love to see why he beats Bradley.

Quite simply, Khan's a bigger puncher, has quicker hands, and his supposed 'glass chin' has survived against more concussive hitters than Bradley.

Bradley would have a resonable chance, sure, but i'd be quite confident Khan could evade his biggest shots, or survive them if not, whilst Bradley would struggle with Khan's movement, offensively, and defensively should Roach decide they're going to fight on the backfoot, which i doubt.

70/30 Khan, or thereabouts.

You also have to ask why Bradley's not kean on the fight. Khan would fight him tomorrow, home or away. Bradley just doesn't fancy it. I'm sure Khan and Roach are sniffing blood already.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 09 Dec 2011, 7:07 pm

The bigger question is how does Bradley beat Khan?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next