The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amir Khan can he really change ???

+5
jammin
88Chris05
The Galveston Giant
bhb001
TRUSSMAN66
9 posters

Go down

Amir Khan can he really change ??? Empty Amir Khan can he really change ???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 20 Apr 2012, 10:03 am

Everyone assumes Khan is immature both in and out of the ring.....I agree with the latter as he has no understanding of how to conduct himself whatsoever...No one likes a whinger or someone who disagrees with something in the face of over-whelming evidence....Also no one likes the race card being played either!!!!

However.. how much of what Khan does wrong in the ring is immaturity or just plain natural instincts....

Have a feeling with the kid that the chinny tag has a high degree of resonation with him....(Have a feeling he's the vain type who probably reads what we write on here and others write on external sites !!!)....

Also in his defence I believe he has a huge degree of pride and is one of the few Boxers around who think about legacy rather than just the money!!!!

Also believe that there is a touch of Holyfield about him and that his natural instincts when hurt are to go macho and want to hit back rather than think long term!!! Think he has a huge need to prove people wrong...as he is a very sensitive type!!

Holyfield despite his huge skill never learned how to play the defence card when hurt......For sure Khan is slightly better than he was.. but his natural instinct is to exchange when hurt!! A plus for us but a negative for him...

Which leads me to the question.......

Is it all too ingrained or can he change???? Me thinks not!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan can he really change ??? Empty Re: Amir Khan can he really change ???

Post by bhb001 Fri 20 Apr 2012, 10:18 am

I reckon you are probably right on this. By this stage of a boxers career, you normally know what to expect and his vanity is his achilles heel. It will not change, but if he can tone it down a bit, it shouldn't get in the way of a very good career. Yes, I don't like a lot that comes out of his mouth, but I do wish him luck and do genuinely cheer for him when he is in the ring. I still think there are plenty of chapters to write in his book before he hangs up his gloves

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 20 Apr 2012, 10:22 am

He's went awfully quiet since getting his rematch, the silence is nice. Think he would have changed by now if he was going to, he is a man now but doesn't act like it most of the time.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 20 Apr 2012, 10:39 am

Interesting question, Truss.

From the outset, there's nothing to suggest that a twenty-five year old who is not yet thirty fights in to his professional career can't change, at least to a certain degree. But there are slightly extenuating circumstances in Khan's case. These nigh-on thirty fights have come after a highly successful amateur career, and within them he's faced a lot more genuine quality than most twenty-five year olds have met. In that sense, it's very possible that we've already seen all the answers Khan has when he's asked serious questions in the ring.

Another key point which you've made is that Khan's problem is one of instinct, which is practically impossible to cut off. When I saw the article title, I immediately thought of Bernard Hopkins. There's an idea floating around that Hopkins has always been a cautious, canny, counter-punching fighter, but he hasn't. His earlier incarnation was an aggressive fighter, who would seek out an opponent rather than let them come to him etc. He realised this didn't play to his strengths, and slowly adapted his style to become the incredibly consistent and successful Hopkins we've come to know.

The difference being, of course, Hopkins' change was one born of a lot of thought, experience and the like. It didn't rely on fighting instinct or having to make a decision in a split second. Khan's change, if he can ever make it, will have to include both of those. Very, very difficult for anyone.

Will be very interesting to see how Khan deals with the next 'panic moment' in his career.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by jammin Fri 20 Apr 2012, 11:19 am

Firsty the focus should be on the ring. He's so called immaturity out of the ring is non-talking point.

I don't have an issue with Khan wanting to hit back straight away being hit. That is a fighters trait, Sugar Ray Leonard did the same.

I don't think Khan has significant ring IQ, his offensive ability has in a way hidden this deficiency. Peterson out thought Khan in that fight, found him out even though I had Khan winning the boxing match, I had Peterson winning the fight.

Herein lies the intrigue. Chin? Check. Heart? Check. Smarts? We'll find out....

Can he learn? Is he humble enough to do so?

The fact Roach has apparently asked Khan to follow a stick and move strategy and not counter Peterson on the inside tells me that Roach doesnt think he can.

Should be a cracking fight. We have a great May to look forward to!

jammin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Apr 2012, 7:11 pm

I felt that in the first match, Khan allowed his man back into the fight by sitting back and almost admiring his good work done in the previous round (Khan being poor as opposed to Petersen being good). I found it very frustrating that on occasion, Khan was clearly boxing the ears off Lamont only to allow Petersen to keep walking forward and regaining the upper hand. At the time I wondered if there was a stamina issue with Khan and that he was taking a breather every other round because the only other option was that Khan simply wasn't being given sound tactical advice by his corner (and I can't see Roach advising his man to stand his ground and be hit repeatedly)
Yes they probably toook Petersen somewhat lightly, yes, Petersen fought the best fight of his life but I firmly believe that if Khan sticks to his boxing he wins a fairly comfortable UD this time round.

When Hatton fought Mayweather, Floyd would walk him onto right hands and I wondered why Khan didn't do the same to Petersen who was wide open to straight shots and uppercuts all night (tactical naivety yes, but from whom? Roach or Khan?)

As to whether or not Khan can change depends on how he's matched in future. They may very well stick him in with guys who play to his strengths, but this isn't going to aid him in his quest for greatness. He's got to fight every kind of guy with every kind of style...and if he loses, I'd like to see him correct these flaws in rematches but boxing doesn't always allow fighters that luxury.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 20 Apr 2012, 7:29 pm

I have never thought Khan has much of a boxing brain, in fact I have never thought he has much of a brain at all.

What he does have is heaps of talent. All he needs is a good game plan that he is capable of executing and he will win more fights than he loses at the very top level. He lost to Peterson in my eyes because he just wasn't focused enough and as a result let Peterson dictate. I expect him to win the rematch.

Khan is what he is, he just needs a good puppet master with the right plan.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 20 Apr 2012, 9:29 pm

Some serious under-estimation of Peterson going on here. LP executed a great fight plan and took Khan out of his stride. My impression is that he will up his game further and win decisively.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 20 Apr 2012, 10:24 pm

In terms of instinct it is very to do anything about it- it is by definition ingrained, but he's still young enough, and his career young enough for him to gain alot more experience, and then draw from it. I certainly think that he has huge talent, but needs to concetrate more, and work to his strenghts- I haven't seen the Peterson fight, but from the comments on here it seems that when he did he was clearly better than his opponent, but then lapsed , let Peterson walk onto him, and then tried to play Peterson's game instead of his own. How he performs in this fight will tell us a lot about Khan, and I for one hope he does well- I'm not particularly nationalistic, but he's the one british fighter that I think could build a real legacy, and let's face it we haven't got a huge amount to get excited about at present

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 20 Apr 2012, 10:48 pm

Khan didn't lapse and let Peterson to walk him down. That is doing a gross disservice to Peterson. Peterson used his skills to cut the distance, slip Khan's flurries and work where HE wanted to work. Kahan has tremendous talents. But only when the opponent is over-matched. When they are equally matched, his opponent seem to be able to alter their plans and make things uncomfortable for Khan.

He didn't let Peterson play his game. Peterson from R3 onwards forced Khan to slug it out. Khan's skills are there for all to see. So are his negatives. He aint that good. Credit to him for wanting to prove that he is the best. But pressure fighters will have his number.

I dont buy into this deal that he tries to prove his critics wrong by trading and taking blows. Which boxer wants to be punched in the face. He has no jab to keep pressure fighters away. He cant run all night either because skilled fighters will cut off the ring and make him duke it out which he cant. He needs space. Cut out his space he becomes innefectual (relatively). Give him space and he'll destroy you.

He wants a legacy. Unfortunately his legacy will be what most british boxers have at the top level. Nearly there. Second best.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 21 Apr 2012, 8:40 am

I'm more of the belief that Khans problem against Peterson, and Maidana to some effect is that he moves in straight lines. He lands a couple of quick punches and goes straight back, he needs to move side to side.

Khan has bags of ability but sometimes due to his ego he needs to be brought down to earth, Prescott did and now so has Peterson.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 21 Apr 2012, 10:57 am

Some very good responses.....Do feel another of Khan's problems is he feels the need to entertain (good for us..bad for him)...and believes he needs to engage more than he does!!

Fact is we'd applaud a good quality Boxing performance just as much..

All the tools but a little bit Hearnish in the way he gets carried away by the moment!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down