The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amir Khan

+47
eirebilly
trottb
Knowsit17
Nico the gman
Rowley
JDandfries
Super D Boon
supremeskills
Captain Lucas
Strongback
OasisBFC
oxring
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
The genius of PBF
milkyboy
fearlessBamber
Waingro
PPVxHOTTY
monzon
JabMachine
Geb85
Boxtthis
jbeadlesbigrighthand
The Galveston Giant
jammin
BallchinianMuffwig
paperbag_puncher
Herman Jaeger
TopHat24/7
TRUSSMAN66
Jon El
Imperial Ghosty
horizontalhero
Steffan
lovely_london
superflyweight
Valero's Conscience
bhb001
manos de piedra
Bob
ShahenshahG
sodhat
88Chris05
Scottrf
ONETWOFOREVER
huw
azania
51 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Amir Khan - Page 4 Empty Amir Khan

Post by azania Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

Why are so many hating on him? He wants to fight Floyd. Good for him. Yet some criticise him for that. He beat Maidana. Many criticise him for not standing toe to toe. He says he wants to fight the best. He's called arrogant.

When Hatton said the sme thing he became a british institution and hero or the masses.

Why the double standards? Has Khan got a point when he claims its his ethnicity that many of his detractors have issues with?

azania

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan - Page 4 Empty Re: Amir Khan

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:46 pm

I actually agree with you for once Az and think Steward would be a far more suitable trainer for Khan than Roach who despite being a great trainer does tend to make his fighters a tad one dimensional. If we consider some of the notable fighters who have been trained by Steward they share a common trait with Khan, a great jab, it should be the foundation upon which he fights.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:47 pm

Why do people get surprised when people change their opinion on a fighter based on a fight? Surely this is a natural?

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:48 pm

azania wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:I'm still wondering where i've said no one called it to Collazo?

Semantics.

Not semantics at all, you've completely misunderstood what I said, I for one called the fight last night to Khan but wouldn't call it a robbery by any means.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:51 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
azania wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:I'm still wondering where i've said no one called it to Collazo?

Semantics.

Not semantics at all, you've completely misunderstood what I said, I for one called the fight last night to Khan but wouldn't call it a robbery by any means.

Semantics.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:57 pm

How is that semantics? Did I ever say no one called it for Collazo?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:01 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:How is that semantics? Did I ever say no one called it for Collazo?

Don't think anyone has ever called the Collazo and Hatton fight a robbery but rather pointed out that in a 15 round fight he may well have been stopped as he was out on his feet..

A comment like that especially when it starts with "Dont think anyone" can easily be interpritted that you mean noone called it for Callazo.

Now you tell me that isn't what you meant. Well if it isn;t it isn't and I'll leave it at that.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:02 am

It can only be construed in that way if you wish to twist things

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:04 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:It can only be construed in that way if you wish to twist things

Not twisting anything. Just assuming as many would also. But I'll leave the last word on this ridiculous matter to yourself.

Over to you.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:07 am

Think it's only you who would assume such a thing as it's fairly clear what I said.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:10 am

Az you're talking balls. Just because no one calls a fight a robbery doesn't mean there won't be differing opinions on the result.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:18 am

Scottrf wrote:Az you're talking balls. Just because no one calls a fight a robbery doesn't mean there won't be differing opinions on the result.

Was going to put it a little more subtly, but no need to add to Scott's perfect summary here.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:23 am

88Chris05 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:Az you're talking balls. Just because no one calls a fight a robbery doesn't mean there won't be differing opinions on the result.

Was going to put it a little more subtly, but no need to add to Scott's perfect summary here.
I value conciseness over tactfulness Wink

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:31 am

I see. The issue seems to be the use of the word 'robbery'. When the word 'anyone@ preceeds that my asumption was as I wrote.

If I misinterpritted it then I#m wrong. No big deal to get hung up over semantics.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:33 am

It wasn't semantics as quite clearly proven by the views of both Scott and Chris, unlucky you must try harder.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:34 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:It wasn't semantics as quite clearly proven by the views of both Scott and Chris, unlucky you must try harder.

Yep

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 am

I don't hate Khan, though my dislike for him has just risen following his less than gracious reaction to losing. For a man with "no choice but to move up" he suddenly seems keen on regaining his titles. If he does secure and win a rematch it'll only show how neglectful and complacent he can be.

Based on the initial issue though, I think it's always been a case of extremes. Either you loved Khan or you hated him. I've strayed along both paths in the past and nowadays I do my best to stay objective. I think Khan's ability could get him far in the sport. I think he's been overhyped to an extent that he was expected to walk yesterday's fight. I don't think his personality is to be desired, particularly his neglect of what fans he has on British shores with his fight deals. And now his devotion and commitment could be brought into question.

Khan has his pros and cons like everyone. On a parting note I'm not convinced he can mix it with Mayweather as he's been trying to pass off all this time, at least not yet.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:16 am

I wonder if team Khan made the right decision having David Haye in tow. Not the best person to have whispering in your ear if you want to appear gracious in defeat.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:30 am

trottb wrote:I wonder if team Khan made the right decision having David Haye in tow. Not the best person to have whispering in your ear if you want to appear gracious in defeat.
oh contraire trotty, if khan had actually listened to him and come up with a credible excuse like a bruised pinky then non of this debate would be raging

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:33 am

au contraire... forgive my delboy french. Mange tout mange tout rodney

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:40 am

[quote="Knowsit17"]If he does secure and win a rematch it'll only show how neglectful and complacent he can be.[quote]

The opposite argument has been used to show how great Lewis was as a heavyweight i.e. lost to inferior fighters and the won convincingly on the rematch. Now, I'm not saying that Khan will be convincing on the rematch, just that, in this situation, it is natural for him to want one. He does need to learn from this and stop blaming the ref. If he can do this, I think he can come back. What it does prove is that he is not near the level to take on FMJ and so hopefully we will have heard the last from this for a year or so.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:23 am

I am not a very active boxing fan but i do watch the big fights (well what i consider big). I have just watched the Khan fight and honestly believed that he was the better boxer but there wasnt that much in it.

The decision was made but its not a big a travesty as some of the other decisions. I have seen, in the past, Marcus Beyer completely beaten and out on his feet yet still got a victory because the fights were in Germany. Now they were horrible results.

Khan will come back stronger and will win the (if it goes ahead) rematch between these two.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:37 am

[quote="bhb001"][quote="Knowsit17"]If he does secure and win a rematch it'll only show how neglectful and complacent he can be.

The opposite argument has been used to show how great Lewis was as a heavyweight i.e. lost to inferior fighters and the won convincingly on the rematch. Now, I'm not saying that Khan will be convincing on the rematch, just that, in this situation, it is natural for him to want one. He does need to learn from this and stop blaming the ref. If he can do this, I think he can come back. What it does prove is that he is not near the level to take on FMJ and so hopefully we will have heard the last from this for a year or so.

An argument that can be used either way by all means. Lewis went on to stand among the best of his generation, whether Khan can do the same remains to be seen. To use a more recent example, Paul Williams was hailed as a huge hit in the middle weights but lost to massive underdog Carlos Quintana. Of course he came back to KO Quintana in one round, thus demonstrating how badly he had messed up in their first fight. And of course Williams is now best remembered as the man Martinez sparked spectacularly to put himself on the map...

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:43 am

I thought Peterson got his tactics spot on and did well to change to plan B when things weren't working. Maidana has already showed if you push Khan back to the ropes and keep him on his back foot he isn't effective, Peterson kept the space between them at a minimum and actually ran after Amir when he tried to run away, good tactics.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:24 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I actually agree with you for once Az and think Steward would be a far more suitable trainer for Khan than Roach who despite being a great trainer does tend to make his fighters a tad one dimensional. If we consider some of the notable fighters who have been trained by Steward they share a common trait with Khan, a great jab, it should be the foundation upon which he fights.

Absolutely agree. A tall rangy fighter with a good jab.

Cotto would have seemed more perfect for Roach (yet picked Manny) and Khan tailor made for Manny.

However - Manny is a "whore" (according to Steve Bunce). He does have an awful habit of dropping fighter in the lurch for broadcasting commitments/can't really be bothered. Ref: Jonathon Banks. Gets his shot at the big time - the fight with Adamek. Who is in Banks' corner? Some assistant - Manny was at a HBO meeting/fight.

Khan does well with a stable trainer.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Norwichdale Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:57 pm

Been reading the boxing forum for a while but this is my first post so please go easy on me guys!

Just wanted to say that i think Khan can easily come back from this defeat. It was a very close fight and i was expecting a draw to be announced. Without the points deductions he would have won, although not as comfortably as i am sure he thought it would be. Peterson got his tactics bang on and deserved the result but i think if Khan had fought a better tactical fight, then he would have won with some ease.

I am sure he will come back and regain a world title of some variation. I am however a little unsure about his credentials as a p4p contender due to his lack of power. He is at his best when fighters stand off him a bit and he gets the space and time to dart in and out and deliver his quick combinations. When faced with a come forward, pressure fighter, he does not have the punch power to deter them from just steaming forward and walking through his punches (Maidana would have beaten him with a little more educated pressure imo). This i think would especially be a problem he carries on with his plans to step up a division. He has the skills and natural talent to come again, but he will have to learn to be more elusive, improve his defence and not be so willing to stand and trade, if he wants to get to the top again.

Norwichdale

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:07 pm

Norwichdale wrote:Been reading the boxing forum for a while but this is my first post so please go easy on me guys!

DIE NEWBIE DIE!!!!!

Sorry. My bad.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:09 pm

Welcome NorwhichDale. Nice analysis.

He can definitely come back - but it will hurt his p4p and overall standings a little bit.

Peterson has a great story - but he's not that great.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Welcome aboard, Norwichdale.

Hope you will enjoy the forum.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:17 pm

Think the problem he will have is fighters will look at this fight and Maidana and see a template for beating Khan very much emerging and so he really needs to do some graft in the gym because you have to think he is going to encounter a lot of guys looking to get on his chest and pressure him inside.
On the plus side he has shown a willingness to graft and improve before so perhaps should not be written off just yet, but plenty of work to be done you'd have to think.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:26 pm

If he can't keep Peterson off him, how is going to manage with a top welterweight. Looks to small for a step up imo, he'll get outmuscled up there with his lack of size and strength.

His best bet is to stay at light welter, and work on his weaknesses such as in- fighting. Must be dawning on his fans he's no superstar, but there are some good fights for him in this division. Maybe he can prove the doubters wrong. Certainly this is the division to do it.

I probably had Peterson just about winning it, even without the deductions, too much back pedalling cost Kham imo especially as Peterson landed the heavier punches.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:43 pm

Herman Jaggery wrote:If he can't keep Peterson off him, how is going to manage with a top welterweight. Looks to small for a step up imo, he'll get outmuscled up there with his lack of size and strength.

I agree with this. I mean, they were talking about going up against Victor Ortiz. Imagine the Ortiz from the Berto fight showed up against Khan? No way Khan could handle that type of pressure. Let's face it: Khan has serious holes in his inside game, and he doesn't have the ring generalship, footwork, or cool head to stop opponents from getting inside. Shame, because he's pretty much world class at everything else. Even his chin proved to be solid again on Saturday night.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:59 pm

Close fight. Did not score it round by round but 'felt' like Peterson deserved nod for effective aggression. I did not like all that running Khan did. Very untidy.

Think this loss will benefit Khan as he will now have much more incentive to work on his weaknesses (examples):

-> Lack of awareness when he has his gloves cupped around his face - it seems to me he just closes his eyes and hopes for the best. Horribly open to overhand right hooks, body shots and uppercuts when he's in that posture.

-> Underuses uppercut - which is potty as when he throws it, it is an effective punch.

-> Lack of inside game - you don't have to hold to neutralise an inside fighter. He should look to take a step forward, spin off and turn and mix that with the spoiling and covering up.

Have to say I've revised my assessment of his potential now though and think a move to 147 at this point would be madness.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:04 pm

fearlessBamber wrote:Close fight. Did not score it round by round but 'felt' like Peterson deserved nod for effective aggression. I did not like all that running Khan did. Very untidy.

Think this loss will benefit Khan as he will now have much more incentive to work on his weaknesses (examples):

-> Lack of awareness when he has his gloves cupped around his face - it seems to me he just closes his eyes and hopes for the best. Horribly open to overhand right hooks, body shots and uppercuts when he's in that posture.

-> Underuses uppercut - which is potty as when he throws it, it is an effective punch.

-> Lack of inside game - you don't have to hold to neutralise an inside fighter. He should look to take a step forward, spin off and turn and mix that with the spoiling and covering up.

Have to say I've revised my assessment of his potential now though and think a move to 147 at this point would be madness.

Khan did that with ease against Judah, I was surprised he didn't utilise that move more.

As alluded to elsewhere, I think Khan's lack of grace in defeat is likely to do him more harm than the loss itself. Much like Haye's comments post Wlad, it would have been best to accept the loss and move on. My wife was wincing with some of the stuff he came out with. Surprised Khan came out with those comments really especially as he has been in close contact with the likes of DeLa Hoya who was the master of being gracious in defeat

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:35 pm

Lets be honest Peterson did not win this fight this was a hometown decision. Khan had two points deducted which cost him the fight one would have been enough Peterson also did not got warned for using the head it was not all Khans fault that is like what hapned with Hatton against Mayweather the ref blamed Hatton for everything and took a point off him which made Hatton lose his cool.

I like Peterson he is a good guy but he did not win this fight. It was in his hometown with a biased ref what a surprise he wins a SD and Khan gets deducted two point! America loves a good story and this one is a bout a boxer who was homeless becoming a world champion dont let the judges or ref get in the way of a good story lol they will probably make a movie about this in hollywood like the did about Mickey Ward who was not that good!

If they have a rematch Khan will win but he needs to forget about Mayweather thats just silly he would get schooled. He should have a rematch with Peterson in a neutral venue and when he wins that he should fight Bradley who I think would beat him or else he should fight Brook which is a fight I would love to see.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:44 pm

I used to come on the boxing section to read the musings of people like the Captain, Chris, Windy, Col Lion, Manos & Tino (plus his sidekick Rowley) among others.

Those mentioned though have all been surpassed in keeping my attention by one Waingro, I find myself inexplicably drawn whenever I see his name to find out what his next words of wisdom will be. All others must try harder in the face of Waingro.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:48 pm

Dass wrote:I used to come on the boxing section to read the musings of people like the Captain, Chris, Windy, Col Lion, Manos & Tino (plus his sidekick Rowley) .

Have been called many things in my time on here and 606 but Tina's sidekick hurts probably more than anything other.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:50 pm

Dass wrote:I used to come on the boxing section to read the musings of people like the Captain, Chris, Windy, Col Lion, Manos & Tino (plus his sidekick Rowley) among others.

Those mentioned though have all been surpassed in keeping my attention by one Waingro, I find myself inexplicably drawn whenever I see his name to find out what his next words of wisdom will be. All others must try harder in the face of Waingro.

Its the British curse - We like eccentric people, we call Waingro eccentric because its politer than special.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:55 pm

rowley wrote:
Dass wrote:I used to come on the boxing section to read the musings of people like the Captain, Chris, Windy, Col Lion, Manos & Tino (plus his sidekick Rowley) .

Have been called many things in my time on here and 606 but Tina's sidekick hurts probably more than anything other.

Tina = Batman
Rowley = Robin (Burt Ward version)

Laugh

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:19 pm

Dass wrote:
rowley wrote:

Tina = Batman
Rowley = Robin (Burt Ward version)

Laugh

harsh dass, just because Jeff likes wearing tights at the weekend shouldn't make him a figure of ridicule

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:28 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
fearlessBamber wrote:Close fight. Did not score it round by round but 'felt' like Peterson deserved nod for effective aggression. I did not like all that running Khan did. Very untidy.

Khan did that with ease against Judah, I was surprised he didn't utilise that move more.

As alluded to elsewhere, I think Khan's lack of grace in defeat is likely to do him more harm than the loss itself. Much like Haye's comments post Wlad, it would have been best to accept the loss and move on. My wife was wincing with some of the stuff he came out with. Surprised Khan came out with those comments really especially as he has been in close contact with the likes of DeLa Hoya who was the master of being gracious in defeat

I must admit I did not watch the Khan interview. I am trying to like him and listening to his nonsense is no help.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:50 pm

ODLH was really gracious after the Trinidad fight DAVE, yeah well done.

IMO Khan feels he is entitled to get the decision because he was champ but this is boxing and he once again can not trade effectively and chooses to grab, push, and hold. The ref warned both men to stop their dirty tactics so Khan should shut up.

He kept his eye off the ball with Peterson a fighter we have been told he should have beaten, a fighter who has lost to Bradley, and Rios and who drew with Ortiz.

Khan just aint much of a fighter although he can box as he is an athlete but never a fighter.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Despite the argument about the decision, it is axiomatic that Khan must work on his inside fighting.

The fears from the Maidana bout were realised when he was faced with a pressure fighter who was quicker and smarter than Maidana. Khan was in all sorts of trouble.

I didn't think he was too hurt or in danger of going down but too often, he didn't win the exchanges and took too many seemingly needless shots to give the round away.

He was far better than Peterson when he engaged at range and even did win a few inside exchanges. He must work on this.

About LP, wasn't it nice to see a fighter who actually did switch to plan B. This is a guy billed as a boxer but realised that wasn't working and effectively switched to a pressure fighter. So many fighters talk about plans but we never see it... This was not the case and it was a pleasure to see someone switch it up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Incrediblexman Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:47 pm

He's cocky and his reaction to losing was disgraceful. Amir Khan looked as if he was becoming quite a prospect but this fight puts a lot of doubts in my mind. He needs to improve his punching power and his inside game. The referee warned him several times before both point deductions. He really only has himself to blame.

Incrediblexman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4