The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather to fight in UK

+16
88Chris05
KO-KING
manos de piedra
Lumbering_Jack
Rodney
tunes666
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
azania
Rowley
TRUSSMAN66
owen10ozzy
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
TopHat24/7
Seanusarrilius
hampo17
bellchees
20 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Mayweather to fight in UK - Page 3 Empty Mayweather to fight in UK

Post by bellchees Tue 30 Apr 2013, 4:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just seen this on the BBC,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/22351479

Ellerbe said: "Floyd cannot wait until we can come over there and give the UK fans a big, big fight."

He is planning on visiting the UK later this year ahead of returning for a fight.

"Floyd has a tremendous fan base in the UK and we're looking at working on something now where he's going to come over there," added Ellerbe.

"Ever since the Ricky Hatton fight back in 2007, UK fans have been very loyal to Floyd and he definitely acknowledges that and he wants to bring a big, big event to the UK.

I'm talking with a couple of people now and they're giving me some options, and Floyd will definitely be coming to the UK.

The UK are his biggest and best fans. He has tremendous love affair for the UK fans

We'll see how this thing plays out, his focus is Saturday night and then we'll go from there. But we're definitely going to bring a big, big event to the UK."

I'm sure this has been put forward a few times since the Hatton fight but nothing has ever come of it.

Anyone believe he'll come over here for a fight?

Is Khan the only opponent or would a fight against a non UK fighter sell just as well?

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Mayweather to fight in UK - Page 3 Empty Re: Mayweather to fight in UK

Post by bellchees Wed 01 May 2013, 5:59 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:I understand manos and I'm not trying to beat up in pacman because his achievements are there for all to see.

But.....he stepped up for a LMW title fight against margarito? Really?

How much cherry picking can that be??

Im just comparing because their both great (pacman and may) and should be compared when we talk about going up in weights and fighting cherry picked opponents.

Why doesn't Pacquiao fight Alvarez??

Why doesn't Huck fight Vitali?

Why doesn't malignaggi fight Martinez??

It sound ridiculous but that's the equivalent.

I think mayweather has done more than enough to stake his claim.

He does not need these 22 year olds that have proved absolute nothing in their careers. (Rhodes, hatton, Gomez, Mosley......)

Neither would he want Martinez who is at 38 quite clearly not the same.

He should fight this weekend then fight the following:

Alexander (IBF champ only 1 defeat)
Danny Garcia (WBC ring champ LWW and undefeated in his prime)
Timothy Bradley (beat Pacquiao and come off that war to increase his fan base also undefeated)
Marquez 2. (Marquez has now grown into the weight and could cause more problems. Battered pacquaio to close the book)
Amir Khan ( pure money fight in th UK at wembley)

Retire.

I'd have no problem with the fights you've listed there for Mayweather but he cannot fight all those people at his current 1 fight a year policy. It would take him 5 years and by then Marquez will be retired (hopefully), Khan will have been pancaked several times over and the other 3 could pick up losses fighting at world level. Each fight would be OK if it were to take place this year or early next year but after that half of them wont be viable candidates. 1 Fight a year against very good but not great opponents isn't enough to claim to be at the top of the sport like Floyd does like to spout off about.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 01 May 2013, 7:26 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:I understand manos and I'm not trying to beat up in pacman because his achievements are there for all to see.

But.....he stepped up for a LMW title fight against margarito? Really?

How much cherry picking can that be??

Im just comparing because their both great (pacman and may) and should be compared when we talk about going up in weights and fighting cherry picked opponents.

Why doesn't Pacquiao fight Alvarez??

Why doesn't Huck fight Vitali?

Why doesn't malignaggi fight Martinez??

It sound ridiculous but that's the equivalent.

I think mayweather has done more than enough to stake his claim.

He does not need these 22 year olds that have proved absolute nothing in their careers. (Rhodes, hatton, Gomez, Mosley......)

Neither would he want Martinez who is at 38 quite clearly not the same.

He should fight this weekend then fight the following:

Alexander (IBF champ only 1 defeat)
Danny Garcia (WBC ring champ LWW and undefeated in his prime)
Timothy Bradley (beat Pacquiao and come off that war to increase his fan base also undefeated)
Marquez 2. (Marquez has now grown into the weight and could cause more problems. Battered pacquaio to close the book)
Amir Khan ( pure money fight in th UK at wembley)

Retire.

I suppose the key issue is the context of the argument. Nobody is touting Huck or Malignaggi as one of the ten greatest fighters of all time. Same with Pacquaio. If people were arguing Pacquiao was a top ten all time fighter then that would be different.

Being considered one of the ten best fighters ever places alot of scrutiny and challenge on a fighter to really push themselves. Mayweather through a combination of inactivity and not challenging himself as much as he could in his post Hatton career has created a strong reason not to place him in the top ten in my opinion.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3