The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are You Not Entertained...Are You Not Entertained! (Title in Homage to the Davidemore style of posting)

+3
davidemore
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
owen10ozzy
7 posters

Go down

Are You Not Entertained...Are You Not Entertained! (Title in Homage to the Davidemore style of posting) Empty Are You Not Entertained...Are You Not Entertained! (Title in Homage to the Davidemore style of posting)

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 01 May 2013, 1:42 pm

Following on from this past weekends action I picked up on something amongst not only posters on here but also on other forums and websites with regards to British fighters (though I am sure it also applies to others). Many times in the past we as fans have complained about fighters not testing themselves against the very best. They are ridiculed for building up a padded record for far to long before reaching for the top. Or they get to the top and claim a belt before doing all and sundry to retain the belt fighting stiffs rather than looking to unify the division. Yet once someone chooses to go against the grain and do what we as fans want them to do...what happens?...they are lambasted in certain quarters for stepping up and coming up short.

Only this weekend Martin Murray went across the pond to the backyard of a guy generally regarded as a P4P Top 3 and gave him one of the toughest fights of his career. Whilst some claimed robbery, the majority agreed that he probably did just come up short. In the immediate aftermath he was applauded for his performance...his grit and determination and willingness to travel were praised. Yet in the few days since I have seen people and even sports writers claim that having failed twice at the top, he is simply just short of the elite level and should now focus on clearing out the domestic scene back home.

Now I can certainly see why this would be a good thing in his case, with the likes of Macklin, Barker, Lee and upcoming prospect Billy Joe Saunders all great domestic clashes. Yet why should he merely focus on that. Why not chase a fight with Chavez Jnr...or GGG...or heaven forbid get a rematch with Sergio Martinez, the man he just pushed to the edge.

The same applies to Barker and Macklin. Whilst Macklin has a fight in place with huge punching Gennady Golovkin, Darren Barker is setting his sights on Chavez Jnr. Instead of giving the men props for chasing arguably two of the 3 best names in the division and doing so away from the UK, people have instead decided to focus on the fact neither stands a chance. I have heard them simply be dismissed as cannon fodder for the best and as such they should seek out a domestic clash with each other. Why? Because they came up short against Martinez they should just stop in there pursuit of a World Title Fight or to be called the best in there divison?

Another fighter who has dared to fight above there so called station is Lee Purdy. Following on from yet another injury to Kell Brook it has been decided that Lee Purdy will now face Devon Alexander for the IBF Title. A man who has come back from a defeat and steadily worked his way back into some form of contention and is then given a shot to become World Champion...takes that opportunity and is put down because in the eyes of many he doesn't stand a chance of winning..I guess he should just retire now!

Only 12 months ago the polarizing figure that is David Haye was spouting off that he deserved a shot at Vitali and was the only guy in the Heavyweight division who could give the Champion a huge pay day. Having lost in a meek at best display against Wladimir earlier, he was rightly lambasted for having the audacity to think he deserved to go straight in against the older brother. Following a decisive victory over Derek Chisora and time away from the ring he recently announced his comeback, declaring that he would work his way back into contention for a title shot. His first opponent is Manuel Charr, beaten by Vitali already yet ranked number 8 by the WBC. What has happened? Yep that's right...Haye has been criticised to high heaven for his choice in opponent. Those very people claiming he should get back in line and fight some ranked opponents before calling out the Champions are now slaughtering him for doing just that..baffling to say the least!

Amir Khan is routinely dismissed as being a good fighter with a very poor chin whose time at the top is over. Having been knocked out by Judah he has chosen to rebuild and take on some 'easier opponents' while doing so. Molina was a blow up lightweight whilst Diaz was a fighter well past his best who Khan should not be fighting. But lets just stop a minute and think what would have happened had he instead chose to go in with an opponent in the Top 5 or rematch Peterson and Garcia. That's right..many would be spouting that he didn't deserve the chance to jump straight back in with best. Here is a fighter who, yes has been beaten 3 times and does indeed have problems taking a punch, yet instead of focusing on the negative points why don't we instead just give him props for wanting to take on the best. Here is a bloke who has stepped in with 4 of the top 6 fighters in the division (Judah, Maidana, Garcia & Peterson), and on 2 occasions has done so in the opponents back yard, yet he is on plenty of occasions been bashed from pillar to post.

I am sure there are many more examples of this kind of thing happening and not just with Brits (anyone have any please share) and for me its one of the biggest double standards which boxing fans have. So I ask you...just what can a modern day fighter do to appease the oh so lofty expectations of us fans...because from what I can see:

- Travelling and fighting in other peoples back-yards doesn't work....despite the claims to many stay at home their whole career.

- Stepping up to elite level early despite the fact you may get found wanting doesn't work....despite the claim too many prospects stay around padding out there records.

- Chasing and fighting the very best fighters in the World only to lose...but then trying again doesn't work...despite the fact we despise fighters for wanting to protect there '0' and hate in when people don't rematch!

- Coming back and fighting your way into contention...doesn't work...despite fan's spouting there fury at people merely trash talking their way into contention.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Are You Not Entertained...Are You Not Entertained! (Title in Homage to the Davidemore style of posting) Empty Re: Are You Not Entertained...Are You Not Entertained! (Title in Homage to the Davidemore style of posting)

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 01 May 2013, 1:53 pm

Its the same posters mate, David and Az.....

They spew all these levels, b-level, lower D upper, C level fighter, Euro fighter.

The point in pro boxing is to try to reach the top.

But when the likes of Purdy, Rees, etc get as shot these idiots, yes IDIOTS write the biggest load of garbage on how they shouldn't be sharing a ring with world title holders, even though they have won nearly ever domestic and European honour.....where else are they supposed to go??

Its telling when the posters we have to endure day in day out dont even watch the fights in the first place, they read numerous reports and then come to their own conclusion.

Davide's articles are always identical to Dwyer who posts on YouTube and Az has fighters in his top5 P4P who he has (a) never seen before and (b) got beat by a limited journeyman in a previous fight.

I love it when local lads get their big chance. OK they may not have the talent, but if they have won the British, commenwealth, EBU titles etc. They are worthy of a chance at the big time.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Are You Not Entertained...Are You Not Entertained! (Title in Homage to the Davidemore style of posting) Empty Re: Are You Not Entertained...Are You Not Entertained! (Title in Homage to the Davidemore style of posting)

Post by davidemore Wed 01 May 2013, 1:59 pm

I know boxing.... are you not entertained!?

Very good post.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 01 May 2013, 2:01 pm

My main concern with Lee Purdy is his health. Nothing wrong with him wanting to be a Champ, but he is easily one if not two levels below world, and is drastically unproven. Haye is a talker with no great wins on his record. Rees was right to fight Broner, he is world level and it was a great pay day and opportunity.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 01 May 2013, 2:08 pm

I thought the Mormeck win was pretty good. As was the Ruiz win.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 01 May 2013, 2:11 pm

Davidemore -

I think we have gone over this in a previous post on Kell Brook with regards to Lee Purdy but i'll state my point again. I could buy into Purdy being a level or two below once he gets beaten by him but until he does I won't. Yes he has lost before and to an infinitely less talented name than Devon Alexander. However he came back and rebuilt himself and has now been given a shot at World Level...why shouldn't he take it? I can see where your going with regards to his health but the fact his he isn't stepping in with a guy who is known to either...

a) be a concussive puncher

b) be a guy who is hugely aggressive in his style of fighting

Add the fact that Purdy has never been shown to have a weak chin and is defensively pretty sound and I can't see how his health is at any more risk than when anyone steps between the ropes.

As for Haye he is an Undisputed Cruiserweight Champion and at the time I wouldn't say McCormeck or Enzo were bad names to have on your record. My point with regards Haye was that he was slated for talking his way into a title fight with Wlad and attempting to do the same with Vitali...and people said unless he was going to work his way into contention then retire. Now he has come back and declared that he is going to fight his way to a title shot the same people are still not happy!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 01 May 2013, 2:26 pm

Owen are you insane? Until he gets battered you wont admit he is way below Alexander in terms of class? A punchers chance does not mean that he is going to be world class, it just means he has a chance of knocking him out. Purdy has lost to C level fighters, looked like turd in his last outing, and has never really fought above British level. I want Lee to win, I am a fan of his aggression, but he is not world class. We don't need to watch Devon, "pa, pa, pa!" his way to victory to know that.

David Haye has fought manufactured toffee his whole career. He is a mega disappointment and i feel, only interested in the money.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 01 May 2013, 2:28 pm

David Haye should have stayed active and he would never have fallen out of the top ten. He got greedy and impatient, then he realized he is nowhere because he was so dire against Drone. Talented, yes. Wish him well? Always, he's British. Tired of hearing him talk and not fight? Certainly.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 01 May 2013, 2:38 pm

But what's to say he will get battered?! Ok past form would suggest he isn't going to win...but you make it sound like he is going to receive an absolute pasting and if he is to at World level then it won't be by a guy who lacks real punch power and has had his fair share of pretty poor performances.

You said yourself he has a punchers chance if nothing else so why not take the fight for the chance, however small, of picking up what would be a huge win, a world title and the opportunity to then make more money in one fight than he would 10 at domestic/European level....is it worth the risk YES...against Alexander...even more so!

As for Haye I agree he talked far to much and he should have fought other people at Heavyweight earlier. However his talking has stopped lately and he is now back and willing to fight people outside of Vitali and Wlad so surely he is appeasing those who had a problem with him talking his way into a title fight?!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 01 May 2013, 2:51 pm

Alexander got shown up by a flat footed Kotelnik, got worn to the wire by Mattysse and cried like a baby against Bradley.

Hardly made of steel. Purdy could still cause an upset. If he takes away Devons movements, the whole aura of the game changes. Plus Purdy does have a decent whollop on him.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 01 May 2013, 8:21 pm

Not sure why anyone would pop at Purdy for taking the fight. He's a pro boxer, his dream is to be world champion, you take your chance because it may never come again.

Pop at Alexander for taking an 'easy' defence. Say you have no interest in the fight because you think it will be a cakewalk. But you can't pop at Purdy.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 May 2013, 9:16 pm

I'll pop at Purdy...........

The one in... The New Avengers..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 01 May 2013, 9:24 pm

You hoping Purdy gets nailed?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 May 2013, 9:35 pm

Not bothered.............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 01 May 2013, 9:38 pm

I meant the one from the new avengers... by a certain beefster

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 May 2013, 12:08 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Alexander got shown up by a flat footed Kotelnik, got worn to the wire by Mattysse and cried like a baby against Bradley.

Hardly made of steel. Purdy could still cause an upset. If he takes away Devons movements, the whole aura of the game changes. Plus Purdy does have a decent whollop on him.

Purdy is rubbish. He should be the spit bucket carrier.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down