The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan to move up to Welterweight.

+19
tunes666
PPVxHOTTY
joeyjojo618
Lumbering_Jack
Gerry SA
BoxingFan88
winchester
manos de piedra
owen10ozzy
bellchees
AlexHuckerby
eddyfightfan
azania
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
KO-KING
BoomBoomBaby
TRUSSMAN66
OasisBFC
hampo17
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Khan to move up to Welterweight. Empty Khan to move up to Welterweight.

Post by hampo17 Sun 05 May 2013, 11:11 am

Khan, 26, will meet Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer in Los Angeles this week to discuss moving up to the 147lb division.Schaefer would like Khan to challenge the winner of this month's IBF welterweight title fight between champion Devon Alexander and Lee Purdy.That fight would take place in December and win would put him in pole position to box Mayweather next May.Khan said: "Going up to welterweight and meeting Devon Alexander is a possibility."It seems the fights at light-welterweight with Danny Garcia and Lamont Peterson are not getting made."I am not going to wait around for them because one day they will move up."I am getting big for the weight and I am just going to see what Richard Schaefer says when we meet."I could be one fight away from the Mayweather fight as long as things go to plan."Khan was impressed with Mayweather who proved that right now he is clearly the best fighter in the world against Guerrero.Khan added: "Floyd didn't show one bit that he is aging against Guerrero."His movement is still amazing and technically he was superb."To beat Floyd you have to beat him at his home game - box him the way he fights."You have to use speed otherwise there is no point in getting in the same ring as him. Of all the fighters who can face him I would have a chance because of my speed."I have got the speed and ability that can cope with him"

While he may do OK against Alexander, Mayweathers right hand would have him doing the chicken dance inside four rounds.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Khan to move up to Welterweight. Empty Re: Khan to move up to Welterweight.

Post by OasisBFC Sun 05 May 2013, 11:32 am

one fight away from a mayweather fight?
dream on.

he was on his way after maidana but his career took a nose dive and he seems intent on getting back to the top slowly which is to his credit. he should give the floyd talk a miss for a year or so.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 05 May 2013, 11:33 am

His punch resistance is the problem...........He'll be able to pack some size on his legs....But he struggles to take a 140 shot...............and the amount of mistakes he makes.............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sun 05 May 2013, 11:38 am

it's such a huge black cloud over his fights and ability.

getting wobbled in his last fight against a non puncher is so sad to see from a fan.
getting into the ring against a 147 fighter, he could be dropped at any minute.

his chin is weak but i do have to appreciate his ability to recover and get back to his feet - if only if it's to be dropped again. the man refuses to stay down.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 05 May 2013, 11:53 am

He is a plausible name to fight Mayweather why not???

Popular fighter......Has huge home support......and is a bigger name than some that have been mentioned...

leonard qualified for Hagler by being dumped of Howard.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BoomBoomBaby Sun 05 May 2013, 12:04 pm

Khan has the speed to bother FMJ but not beat him. No one beats FMJ at WW...no one. Alvarez would get outclassed at light middle to even if he was on peds......but......that wouldn't make a difference.......would....it......truss???

BoomBoomBaby

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sun 05 May 2013, 12:13 pm

OasisBFC wrote:it's such a huge black cloud over his fights and ability.

getting wobbled in his last fight against a non puncher is so sad to see from a fan.
getting into the ring against a 147 fighter, he could be dropped at any minute.

his chin is weak but i do have to appreciate his ability to recover and get back to his feet - if only if it's to be dropped again. the man refuses to stay down.

Diaz isn't a weak puncher, he isn't a mathysse, but he's got good power.

I doubt Floyd would stop khan, he'd beat him but don't think he'll stop him

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 05 May 2013, 1:01 pm

If Khan fought Diaz at 147 instead of 143 catch weight then he would have probably had another KO loss on his record

Ever since the offset the move to 147 was a bad move imo for Khan. He isn't too big for the weight, he doesn't really rehydrate too high and walks around probably only a couple lbs over 150.

He has got chin problems, and his conditioning is the only thing that has kept him up, which won't get any better than that as his punch resistance may get better but that doesn't matter as welterweights on the whole are going to punch harder than lightwelterweights

The main concern I had against Khan moving up was he doesn't hit hard enough to discourage a welterweight. He talks about his power in the lead up to every fight but he just doesn't hold any real power. He fast so will score plenty of early damage and flash knockdowns, but its the case of death by 1000 cuts with khan. Everyone knows that if you press him than he'll crumble and he doesn't have the power to flatten you out. He also doesn't have the boxing skill or defence to keep his chin out of harms way for a whole fight. He can box, but you always know you'll have about 3 rounds at least where you can get to him hard

He is delusional, he is miles away from Mayweather. He may beat Alexander but lets see if he gets to Alexander. I think that Alexander is easily the front runner for Mayweathers next fight especially as Alexander will go into it with a belt after he beats Purdy

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 05 May 2013, 1:11 pm

But people were calling Diaz a blown up LW.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 05 May 2013, 2:12 pm

Exactly, imagine if it was a proper welterweight at the proper welterweight limit

Diaz is a blown up LW but there was only one person in there who looked like they would benefitted from a higher weight limit. Khan just doesn't suit 147

Weight will make khan slower which is the only asset he really has

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 05 May 2013, 2:20 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Exactly, imagine if it was a proper welterweight at the proper welterweight limit

Diaz is a blown up LW but there was only one person in there who looked like they would benefitted from a higher weight limit. Khan just doesn't suit 147

Weight will make khan slower which is the only asset he really has

Diaz is not a light puncher. He's a decent banger. But Khan does need to sort out his defense otherwise.....

I reckon a higher weight will suit Khan. Just as he was getting bounced at LW the move up made him stronger. Perhaps the same can be said at 147. Plus the bigger guys are slower which will help Khan, until they land.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 05 May 2013, 3:42 pm

khan is no quicker than zab judah in his prime, and see a similar fight happening but khan will be wobbled and maybe even KOd.

he can't have tried that hard to get the fights, more like he knows mattteysse will KO peterson and be set to fight khan, and wants no part of him (i also agree with him)

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 05 May 2013, 4:03 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:khan is no quicker than zab judah in his prime, and see a similar fight happening but khan will be wobbled and maybe even KOd.

he can't have tried that hard to get the fights, more like he knows mattteysse will KO peterson and be set to fight khan, and wants no part of him (i also agree with him)

picard

The guy who lost to Judah and Alexander? The most overrated boxer on this board.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 05 May 2013, 4:25 pm

Khan/Matthysse would be a rocky ride, but one Khan could genuinely win but could be sparked at any second in.

Diaz timed Khan, whereas Matthysse doesn't have that kind of arsenal in his locker. Matthysse's struggles with Alexander at 140 and Judah at 140 make me think that Matthysse is very overrated, I imagine Peterson will run him very close also, perhaps beat him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 05 May 2013, 4:32 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Khan/Matthysse would be a rocky ride, but one Khan could genuinely win but could be sparked at any second in.

Diaz timed Khan, whereas Matthysse doesn't have that kind of arsenal in his locker. Matthysse's struggles with Alexander at 140 and Judah at 140 make me think that Matthysse is very overrated, I imagine Peterson will run him very close also, perhaps beat him.

Agreed.

His myth is based on him running through the fat Soto who was 3 divisions outside his best.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun 05 May 2013, 4:48 pm

People rate Matthysse because he should have one of the best records at his weight. 90% of people thought he beat Alexander and most people think he beat Judah too. Add to that a few decent wins against Olusegun, Dallas Jr and Soto and his record is as good as anyone else there really.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 05 May 2013, 4:59 pm

If he had either of those wins on his record i would say it reads better than that of Guerrero's who was the best thing since sliced bread heading into the Mayweather fight according to a few people.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 05 May 2013, 5:07 pm

bellchees wrote:People rate Matthysse because he should have one of the best records at his weight. 90% of people thought he beat Alexander and most people think he beat Judah too. Add to that a few decent wins against Olusegun, Dallas Jr and Soto and his record is as good as anyone else there really.

I had him winning against a weight drained Alexander but had Judah ahead. A boxer as he is hyped up here shouldn't have any issues with Judah.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 05 May 2013, 5:08 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:If he had either of those wins on his record i would say it reads better than that of Guerrero's who was the best thing since sliced bread heading into the Mayweather fight according to a few people.

Let the over-egging commence.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 05 May 2013, 5:09 pm

Khan would need to be close to punch perfect to beat Mathysse I think. If you look at how Peterson was able to walk him down and pressure him using a style thats not neccessarily natural to him, or how Maidana got on against him then Khan would be at huge risk to a big punching durable Matthysse.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 05 May 2013, 5:11 pm

If Khan fought the way he did against that bloke he won his first title from he wins.

I'd like to see Maidana fight Lucas. Bombs away.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 05 May 2013, 5:19 pm

You mean over egging in the same sense of 'oh Mayweather beat another P4P fighter, a 4 weight world champion etc etc'....all because Guerrero beat andre Berto. A guy who had been already beaten by Ortiz (who many people say lacks the psychological level required to stay at the top)...he beat Litzau who had been knocked out by the little known Hernandez and his two other big wins were against Katsidis and Casamayor. Who with the utmost respect were well past there best!! If that makes you a P4P top ten fighter it worries me!! Plenty of people around who should be higher on that list than Guerrero!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 05 May 2013, 5:24 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:You mean over egging in the same sense of 'oh Mayweather beat another P4P fighter, a 4 weight world champion etc etc'....all because Guerrero beat andre Berto. A guy who had been already beaten by Ortiz (who many people say lacks the psychological level required to stay at the top)...he beat Litzau who had been knocked out by the little known Hernandez and his two other big wins were against Katsidis and Casamayor. Who with the utmost respect were well past there best!! If that makes you a P4P top ten fighter it worries me!! Plenty of people around who should be higher on that list than Guerrero!

He beat the No 8 P4P fighter. The 3rd best WW (second best being JMM). So in short Floyd beat the best available WW he hasn't beaten yet.

Hopefully Saul next and he will suffer the same result. No doubt you will find something to b1tch about after that.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 05 May 2013, 5:56 pm

No I wouldn't actually Az. You can come out with comments like that when you find something to suggest I would.

I said in numerous other threads in the lead up to last nights fight that it would be an easy nights work for Mayweather. I stated on many occasions that Guerrero was essentially flavour of the month and whilst he was good he is nowhere near the fighter which was being touted. He was nothing more than a mandatory defence for Floyd. Everyone has them when they are champion and it is no slight on Mayweather because the performance was excellent. Just don't go blowing up the guys record and making out that he beat some absolutely quality fighter because it was nothing more than a standard victory.

Just because it says he is p4p number 8 in the ring magazine doesn't mean he is. Far to much emphasis is put on this whole oh he is a multi weight champion etc etc....with 17 weight classes and numerous belts on the line which frequently get vacated it is no wonder we have people with multiple titles! Again, this isn't a slight on Mayweather, he did what he had to do and did it in impressive fashion but Guerrero was a good victory, nothing more nothing less.

Much like Wladamir, Floyd finds himself in the tough situation of not having many challenges around right now. Everyone was clamouring for the Manny fight 3 years ago and it didn't happen. Don't need to get into the reasons as its been done to death. Now everyone is clamouring for Saul...if it doesn't happen then it harms Floyd's legacy and he would have only himself to blame. I think he wins it and I think it would be a clinic, but he is his only real challenge out there now....the size and the fact he is young and unbeaten makes it the challenge that it is. Other than that I would argue that very few people remain to challenge him or increase his ledger further...

Marquez again since he has grown into the weight class now...but you would have to say he looks tailor made for Mayweather.

Bradley - Perhaps but you would argue that it isn't one which particularly gets the pulse racing and he should have the loss to Manny on his record.

Lest we forget that very shortly Adrian Broner could have a strap at Welterweight and in 12 months will most likely be ready for a tilt at Mayweather...so it's not like he can just keep avoiding the percieved biggest threats out their because someone is going to keep breaking through and everytime he doesn't face them his legacy is tarnished that little bit more.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Sun 05 May 2013, 6:15 pm

Khan has a glass chin so if he moves up in weights he will only get knocked out more often.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 05 May 2013, 6:22 pm

I am a fan of Khan, but he isn't in Mayweathers class skillwise.... he is going to take a couple of right hands from Mayweather and the fight will be over, unfortunately he just can't take a good shot.

Mayweather is

1. Faster
2. Better defensively
3. Bigger
4. Has a longer reach
5. More skilled
6. Punches harder
7. Has better movement
8. Can fight inside
9. Better chin

If you look at it that way, it looks a formality...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 05 May 2013, 6:27 pm

Id give Khan the handspeed advantage over Mayweather

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 05 May 2013, 6:39 pm

Khan's hands didn't look especially quick agaisnt Diaz

Back to the thread and I think it's too simplistic to say that the jump in weight from LWW to WW will do to his punch resistance what happened when he jumped up from LW to LWW

Khan's feet aren't very fast which is why I think that Mayweather can be classes as "faster". Khan uses a lot of movement as he doesn't have the head movement or reflexes to slip punches so he needs to just stay away completely from punches. That is a hard game plan to execute for 12 and when he slows down in the middle rounds he takes heaps of punishment normally. Any added weight will probabaly tire him out faster or/and slow him down

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Sun 05 May 2013, 6:46 pm

Mayweather against Khan would be a total mismatch.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 05 May 2013, 6:52 pm

It would be nice to see Khan try to avenge some defeats also

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 05 May 2013, 8:54 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Id give Khan the handspeed advantage over Mayweather

I think its exceptionally close though, Mayweather's speed is unreal, its like the other guy is moving in slow motion sometimes. I think Khan looks faster because he throws lots of punches, half the time you don't see Mayweather's punch until it lands.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 05 May 2013, 10:05 pm

Khan's hand speed is overrated.

All his speed and power lasts 2-3 rounds

After that he's pretty average. Throw in he can't take a shot.

Mayweather would KO him inside 6

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 05 May 2013, 10:10 pm

You are selling khan short............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 05 May 2013, 10:37 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You are selling khan short............
Look against Peterson
Look against Diaz

His speed was gone by mid fight.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 05 May 2013, 10:38 pm

Thinking more of the can't take a shot bit............With his speed and jab he'd more than likely pose anybody problems..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 05 May 2013, 10:45 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Thinking more of the can't take a shot bit............With his speed and jab he'd more than likely pose anybody problems..
Well he got dropped by a career lightweight in Diaz, so Mayweather would have no problems dropping him. IMO obviously.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun 05 May 2013, 11:28 pm

Floyd would obliterate him. One sided and stopped in 2 rounds. It wouldn't even be the slightest bit competitive.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Sun 05 May 2013, 11:48 pm

Would like to see Khan get a shot (and big payday) against Floyd. It would be a formality, but only because Floyd is streets ahead of any other LWW/WW right now. Khan has had a pretty tough career for a 26 year old, been in some wars. No question that he has challenged himself against the best around. After his loss to Mayweather I would like to see him try to avenge at least one of his loses (not Peterson, I wouldnt give that cheat the time of day).

Ive got a lot of time for Khan these days, although I was extremely critical of him early in his career.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Sun 05 May 2013, 11:53 pm

Apart from speed what boxing skills/attributes does Khan present in a fight against Floyd? In other words what we are saying is 'Once Khans speed gets sussed out Floyd will give him a lesson' well didn't Garcia do this, had a feel for his speed and then caught him in the exchanges. All this nonsense on 'styles make fights' is irrelevant when it comes to Floyd because no style has ever troubled him.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Mon 06 May 2013, 12:03 am

Gerry SA wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Thinking more of the can't take a shot bit............With his speed and jab he'd more than likely pose anybody problems..
Well he got dropped by a career lightweight in Diaz, so Mayweather would have no problems dropping him. IMO obviously.

He hasn't fought at 135 for 6 years, khan last fought at LW in 4 years, also the KD was due to him being off balance not really related to his chin, although being hurt later was, Diaz hits harder than Mayweather, is bigger than Mayweather. Khan's speed isn't overrated either, P4P one of the fastest right now

Last edited by KO-KING on Mon 06 May 2013, 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 06 May 2013, 12:05 am

KO-KING wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:

He hasn't fought at 135 for 6 years, khan last fought at LW in 4 years, also the KD was due to him being off balance not really related to his chin, although being hurt later was, Diaz hits harder than Mayweather, is bigger than Mayweather

How dare you posts such facts?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Mon 06 May 2013, 12:30 am

Diaz came in heavier than Khan has ever been in any fight so has moved up the weight well and maybe brought on a bit of power with it. He admitted him self he is in the beat shape and form of his career. He is not a bad fighter at all and on this form he will probably give allot of fighters in that division a tricky fight.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 06 May 2013, 12:32 am

Come on. Diaz became a fat, light punching career lightweight who decked Khan. Lets keep to that story. Stating that he has been a WW fo6 6 years and has over 65% KO rate is irrelevant. Khan has been a LWW for 4 years.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 06 May 2013, 1:09 am

He was a past his best fighter though, whos only real world level success came at lightweight and was very patchy since.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 06 May 2013, 1:18 am

He said he was in the shape of his life. I know all boxers say that prior to a fight, but he said it after the fight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 06 May 2013, 8:39 am

azania wrote:He said he was in the shape of his life. I know all boxers say that prior to a fight, but he said it after the fight.

Well it must be true then.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 06 May 2013, 10:21 am

So you know better than he does.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 06 May 2013, 11:25 am

I believe Diaz was in great shape for the Khan fight. All fighters going against Khan will have some extra motivation knowing that knocking him out is genuinely possible if you have any sort of power and also it's a ticket to bigger things. Every fighter who fights Khan will believe they will win and won't just show up for the pay day as they're always 1 punch away from hitting the big time.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 06 May 2013, 11:38 am

For all his frailties...Khan stil outboxes everyone he fights with his height, jab and speed...

He's a poor man's Tommy Hearns.....Unfortunately however he gets to caught up in offense and forgets defense.......

Tommy was intimidating enough to get away with the same vice!!

Not a question of a coach teaching him defense he's too far gone with his habits.....

Thing is though before Mayweather got to him which he would.. he'd provide probably the sternest test Mayweather has had for a long time..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon 06 May 2013, 12:06 pm

There must be better fights for Mayweather than Khan out there. Khan would be an easy night and easy money for Mayweather.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next