The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amir Khan to reinstate Ariza?

+4
The Galveston Giant
OasisBFC
azania
Daz
8 posters

Go down

Amir Khan to reinstate Ariza? Empty Amir Khan to reinstate Ariza?

Post by Daz Fri 06 May 2011, 12:04 pm

Afternoon chaps

Amir Khan’s management team have requested a meeting to reinstate conditioning coach Alex Ariza after he was sacked last December in the aftermath of his Third World defence against Marcos Maidana.

Khan arrived here in Nevada on Thursday and will attend the Boxing Writers Association of America annual awards dinner where he will presented with the ‘Fight of the Year’ award for his thrilling contest against Maidana.

It came as a shock that Ariza was jettisoned after Khan had cited his fitness as a major factor which got him through a torrid 10th round against the Argentine the morning after the fight. It led to a public war of words between Khan’s handlers and Ariza.

Ariza, Freddie Roach’s head conditioning trainer, also oversees Manny Pacquiao’s fitness regime. “We are having a meeting [Friday] with Amir, myself and Alex. The Khans requested it,” explained Roach, who will act as peacemaker.

“Amir did not look himself against Paul McCloskey [last month in Manchester]. It was his first time since Amir came to me that he had not worked with Alex. I wasn’t really that satisfied with the McCloskey fight.”

Khan’s next opponent in July was expected to be Timothy Bradley, who holds two light-welterweight world titles, but the American's management team failed on Wednesday to meet a deadline set by Golden Boy Promotions, Khan’s US handlers, to sign the contract. Bradley’s team have requested more money than is being offered.

Full article here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxingandmma/amir-khan/8496173/Freddie-Roach-brokers-peace-talks-between-Amir-Khan-and-former-fitness-coach-Alex-Ariza.html

I think its a good move by team Khan. Espy as he looked out of sorts against McCloskey. What are your thoughts?

Daz

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan to reinstate Ariza? Empty Re: Amir Khan to reinstate Ariza?

Post by azania Fri 06 May 2011, 12:07 pm

Good move by Khan. A strength and fitness expert is almost essential in today's boxing. Jogging and chopping trees is not enough nowadays.

Ariza is supposed to be the best in the business also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 06 May 2011, 12:12 pm

The new bloke Khan brought in wont be happy!!

But Ariza is proven at world level. Good to see Khan eating some humble pie for the sake of his career.

Smart move.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 May 2011, 12:15 pm

Khan's job is to fight. Its the people behind him to do whatever needs to be done. Also it could be Ariza who has a face full of pie. The bottom line is that as he is supposed to be the best, Khan should use him. If he is being greedy, then he has to go.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Fri 06 May 2011, 12:24 pm

Ariza comes across very slimy and brown nosing - he is seen to be very very good at his job - however, its no secret that manny went against his advice for the marg fight because he didnt want to bulk up as much as had previously. he felt he was slower.

khan tweeted that in the dressing room before maidana (his last fight with ariza) he was punching hard but had no zip in his punches.

roach brought the new guy, not the khans.
if roach has a good relationship with ariza id like to see him back with khan though.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 May 2011, 12:27 pm

Personally I think Roach has noticed the change in Khan and, in order to ensure he keeps this wiining streak going, has suggested that Khan might be advised to go back to Ariza.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 06 May 2011, 1:18 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Personally I think Roach has noticed the change in Khan and, in order to ensure he keeps this wiining streak going, has suggested that Khan might be advised to go back to Ariza.

Good point Dave, coincidence or not, Amir just hasn't looked the same since and Ariza left. He looked out of sorts against McKloskey, and whatever the reason for them being reunited, Khan cannot afford a performance like that against the big boys. Overall a good move for Khan.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 06 May 2011, 1:21 pm

Dazstarr wrote:Afternoon chaps

Amir Khan’s management team have requested a meeting to reinstate conditioning coach Alex Ariza after he was sacked last December in the aftermath of his Third World defence against Marcos Maidana.

Khan arrived here in Nevada on Thursday and will attend the Boxing Writers Association of America annual awards dinner where he will presented with the ‘Fight of the Year’ award for his thrilling contest against Maidana.

It came as a shock that Ariza was jettisoned after Khan had cited his fitness as a major factor which got him through a torrid 10th round against the Argentine the morning after the fight. It led to a public war of words between Khan’s handlers and Ariza.

Ariza, Freddie Roach’s head conditioning trainer, also oversees Manny Pacquiao’s fitness regime. “We are having a meeting [Friday] with Amir, myself and Alex. The Khans requested it,” explained Roach, who will act as peacemaker.

“Amir did not look himself against Paul McCloskey [last month in Manchester]. It was his first time since Amir came to me that he had not worked with Alex. I wasn’t really that satisfied with the McCloskey fight.”

Khan’s next opponent in July was expected to be Timothy Bradley, who holds two light-welterweight world titles, but the American's management team failed on Wednesday to meet a deadline set by Golden Boy Promotions, Khan’s US handlers, to sign the contract. Bradley’s team have requested more money than is being offered.

Full article here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxingandmma/amir-khan/8496173/Freddie-Roach-brokers-peace-talks-between-Amir-Khan-and-former-fitness-coach-Alex-Ariza.html

I think its a good move by team Khan. Espy as he looked out of sorts against McCloskey. What are your thoughts?

The highlighted bit made me chuckle, and I have no idea why. That's all.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Fri 06 May 2011, 2:13 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Personally I think Roach has noticed the change in Khan and, in order to ensure he keeps this wiining streak going, has suggested that Khan might be advised to go back to Ariza.

Good point Dave, coincidence or not, Amir just hasn't looked the same since and Ariza left. He looked out of sorts against McKloskey, and whatever the reason for them being reunited, Khan cannot afford a performance like that against the big boys. Overall a good move for Khan.

I think its a bit premature to suggest that Khan hasnt looked the same since Ariza left as he's only had the 1 fight since then.
The problems he had against McCloskey were more down to his boxing deficiencies rather than a lack of fitness and conditioning.
Personally, I didnt really understand why they got rid of Ariza in the first place, he's widely regarded by many as the best in the buisness.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Fri 06 May 2011, 4:08 pm

Khan gets on well Ariza, it is just his dad and other that have problems with Ariza.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Fri 06 May 2011, 4:12 pm

D4 serious question, but do you work in the boxing industry or something?

This may seem like a pi$$ take but Im being genuine its just that you seem to know alot about boxers personal relationships and goings on.

So me being the 'see the best in people' kinda guy that I am came to this conclusion. As the only other options are 'deluded', 'full of keek' or stalker???

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Fri 06 May 2011, 4:55 pm

alanqlm wrote:D4 serious question, but do you work in the boxing industry or something?

This may seem like a pi$$ take but Im being genuine its just that you seem to know alot about boxers personal relationships and goings on.

So me being the 'see the best in people' kinda guy that I am came to this conclusion. As the only other options are 'deluded', 'full of keek' or stalker???

Well Ariza and Khan going out after the Maidana fight to bars make me think the get along well.

Ariza has also said he has nothing against Khan just some of his management team.

Khan has called Ariza the best conditioner in the world and that he gets on well with him.

The argument was with Khan's management (dad) and Ariza.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down