The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sam Warburton!!!

+17
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
glamorganalun
munkian
maestegmafia
BigTrevsbigmac
daidimview
Rory_Gallagher
flyhalffactory
Rugby Fan
lostinwales
bedfordwelsh
thebluesmancometh
GloriousEmpire
dragonbreath
ChequeredJersey
Notch
majesticimperialman
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sam Warburton!!! Empty Sam Warburton!!!

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 29 May 2013, 5:05 pm

Just bean reading that Sam Warburton might not be fit enough for the first game in Hong Kong.

What with Gethin Jenkins ALSO IN DOUBT, it is not looking too good for the Lions right now.

Are these injuries due to the training that they are doing? Or are some players carrying injuries from their club games?

If Sam Warburton is not fit Paul O'connell will take the captains arm band.

Lets hope their are no more injuries, at least before the first test.

discuss.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Sam Warburton!!! Empty Re: Sam Warburton!!!

Post by Notch Wed 29 May 2013, 5:10 pm

No need to risk either of them this early in the tour. Vunipola and Tipuric with O'Connell to Captain.

Just hold them back for the Western Force.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 29 May 2013, 5:11 pm

We knew this was a risk when we picked so many injury prone players. But missing the Baabaas match is hardly the be all and end all of the tour
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Wed 29 May 2013, 5:17 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Just bean reading that Sam Warburton might not be fit enough for the first game in Hong Kong.

What with Gethin Jenkins ALSO IN DOUBT, it is not looking too good for the Lions right now.

Are these injuries due to the training that they are doing? Or are some players carrying injuries from their club games?

If Sam Warburton is not fit Paul O'connell will take the captains arm band.

Lets hope their are no more injuries, at least before the first test.

discuss.

Warburton injured Never I don't believe it Whistle . I told everyone who was outraged when he was named as Captain not to worry. There is no way Sam will finish this tour in one piece. Though to get injured before it even starts is sooner than I expected.

He is a delicate boy too much gym bulk, makes you strong doesn't make you hard raspberry

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Wed 29 May 2013, 5:41 pm

Welsh Lions dropping like flies...interesting. I often wonder if these untimely injuries result from stress and performance anxiety and the lack if requisit fortitude.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 29 May 2013, 5:56 pm

This is to be expected from a lot of players, Gatlands training regime is far more intense than a lot of players are used to, and Wales regularly suffer from minor knocks, pulls and trips.

You have to remember that on the lions tour also the competition is far higher than test level, all wanted to highlight their abilities more and more, so they push each other beyond the capabilities they usually would, added to the fact that Welsh players were 75% of the training squad for 2 weeks it's not very surprising the first few issues were Welsh.

The average injury rate on a lions tour is 6-8 isn't it? last time out Lions lost that in 2 tests (5 players subbed off injured in test 2 alone) so I'd expect at least 8 players getting injured on tour, with 1 probable from next weekend (not including Hartley)

After the initial shock I expect training to calm down a bit and for players to settle into routines which will help, especially as Jenkins and Warbs have been prone recently.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 29 May 2013, 6:04 pm

Why is it not looking good?

Vainupolo and Tipuric could easily step in for both
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 29 May 2013, 6:25 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Why is it not looking good?

Why? Why is it not looking good? These 2 injuries are before the test as even started. That's why is not looking good.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 29 May 2013, 6:31 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:

Why? Why is it not looking good? These 2 injuries are before the test as even started. That's why is not looking good.

I bet you my house there has always been and always will be at least a few injuries before every test on every tour OK Thats how lions rugby is, last tour we had lost Flannery, O Leary, Shanklin, Quinlan suspended and 1/2p didn't fly out till later due to injury. Not to mention Ryan Jones flying out and becoming injured stepping on SA soil and not training.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 29 May 2013, 6:41 pm

hey ho - If there are more Welsh casualties you ay have to wonder about the lack of match fitness coming into the Lions tour due to the lack of 'meaningful' games

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 29 May 2013, 6:46 pm

It's no surprise that Lions players get injuries. It's not uncommon for players to leave the tour after the first match. By that standard, we have hardly had a disastrous start.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 29 May 2013, 6:49 pm

As I said we were 4/5 players down by the time the plane landed in SA last time, right now we are missing 1 nd a few more have knocks that may or may not keep them out for a few days

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 May 2013, 7:39 pm

If it was down to you, Warburton and Jenkins would already be on the plane home by now Madge.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 May 2013, 7:54 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:Welsh Lions dropping like flies...interesting. I often wonder if these untimely injuries result from stress and performance anxiety and the lack if requisit fortitude.

ghost

Probably just a spooky coincidence that they're Welsh.

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 29 May 2013, 9:42 pm

Risca Rev wrote:

If it was down to you, Warburton and Jenkins would already be on the plane home by now Madge.

If it was left to me they would not have been their in the first place.

(1) How can you justify Gethin Jenkins place, when he is not first choice for his club?

(2) How can you justify Sam Warburton as Captain of the Lions as the last 8 games he was captain of Wales they Lost. It does not matter how much they Lost by. a loss is a loss. ok. thumbsup

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 29 May 2013, 9:48 pm

I actually doubt if any of the players selected are totally 100% fit, its been a long season and all of them are carrying knock and bruises that (outside a Lions year) would be rested over the summer.

For what its worth I wouldn't have picked Jenkins, James is far better technical scrummager but the reason he's not first choice is that Toulon have decided to go for sheer brute strength and a 'destructor' type prop in Sheridan. That has never been a part of Jenkins' game
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 May 2013, 9:55 pm

Risca Rev wrote:

If it was left to me they would not have been their in the first place.

(1) How can you justify Gethin Jenkins place, when he is not first choice for his club?

(2) How can you justify Sam Warburton as Captain of the Lions as the last 8 games he was captain of Wales they Lost. It does not matter how much they Lost by. a loss is a loss. ok. thumbsup

You're either extremely ignorant or just plain twp. Judging by your poor writing style, I'll guess the latter.

Jenkins the first choice prop for the current NH champions. Why would they select him?

Warburton has probably done more as captain recently than any other NH captain. Who would you have had? Keeping in mind, as has been explained to you on plenty of occasions, he's not a guaranteed test captain. I really do wonder if you have anything positive to add to Lions discussions?

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 29 May 2013, 10:17 pm

I think Warbs is one of the key players (immaterial of his captaincy), so IMHO don't risk him. Gatland has stated that all the squad will get game time during the first three games so he will come in soon.

I think.......

6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Heaslip

.........is our best option for the tests so lets make sure these guys have the best prep, game-time for Dan, making sure Warbs is fit, and Hulk Heaslip well just "SMARSH"

On a side issue disappointed that Hook is not starting at 10 (or at least 12) on Saturday........ where is that putting him with regards to standby duty?
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 29 May 2013, 10:35 pm

Hulk Heaslip? Erm

I must be missing something regarding Heaslip. He is one of the least physical 8s in the world at the minute. Very rarely breaks the gain line.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by daidimview Wed 29 May 2013, 10:46 pm

Get injured going to the bar!

daidimview

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed 29 May 2013, 10:52 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:I think Warbs is one of the key players (immaterial of his captaincy), so IMHO don't risk him. Gatland has stated that all the squad will get game time during the first three games so he will come in soon.

I think.......

6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Heaslip

.........is our best option for the tests so lets make sure these guys have the best prep, game-time for Dan, making sure Warbs is fit, and Hulk Heaslip well just "SMARSH"

On a side issue disappointed that Hook is not starting at 10 (or at least 12) on Saturday........ where is that putting him with regards to standby duty?

Hook was pants last Saturday at 10.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 29 May 2013, 11:30 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:I think Warbs is one of the key players (immaterial of his captaincy), so IMHO don't risk him. Gatland has stated that all the squad will get game time during the first three games so he will come in soon.

I think.......

6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Heaslip

That would be a good backrow.

By the way SOB is also injured, looks like tips will be in tomorrow too

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu 30 May 2013, 6:40 am

Lets see how the players shape up prior to the first test.

However, current back row on form (from Lions squad)

Croft
Tipuric
Heaslip

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 30 May 2013, 6:49 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Lets see how the players shape up prior to the first test.

Croft
Tipuric
Heaslip

If you include Tipuric who hasn't played for two weeks, then I think it's very fair to say that Sam Warburton is the form blindside after Croft went missing vs Wales while Warburton was superb. He's played well against 14 men last week. But there are some very good flankers in this squad and Croft is not top of the pile.

That a-side. I think our mate FHF was referring to ability rather than just form.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu 30 May 2013, 7:05 am

maestegmafia wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Lets see how the players shape up prior to the first test.

Croft
Tipuric
Heaslip

If you include Tipuric who hasn't played for two weeks, then I think it's very fair to say that Sam Warburton is the form blindside after Croft went missing vs Wales while Warburton was superb. He's played well against 14 men last week. But there are some very good flankers in this squad and Croft is not top of the pile.

That a-side. I think our mate FHF was referring to ability rather than just form.

Some players have been playing the last 2 weeks Croft being one of them and has been outstanding. Tipuric is simply a better player than Warburton in a lot of people's opinion not just mine & has also been playing more consistently throughout the season than Warbs.

All just opinions we will never agree so as I said let's just wait & see how the players pan out in the games to come. At the moment Warburtons involvement isn't clear at all.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 30 May 2013, 7:56 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
All just opinions we will never agree so as I said let's just wait & see how the players pan out in the games to come. At the moment Warburtons involvement isn't clear at all.

Why is Warburtons involvement in the tour not clear...? Most would consider that he is captain a pretty clear indication of his roll on the tour...!!!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu 30 May 2013, 3:46 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:

Why is Warburtons involvement in the tour not clear...? Most would consider that he is captain a pretty clear indication of his roll on the tour...!!!

Involvement due to injury -

'Lions skipper Sam Warburton is set to miss the opening two tour games – and that will only give him a fortnight to prove his fitness for the opening Test with Australia.

Warburton was left out of Warren Gatland's team to take on the Baa-Baas after sitting out training in a steamy Hong Kong on Wednesday as Gatland’s squad prepare for their opener against the Barbarians on Saturday.

The Wales flanker is suffering from a long-standing problem with his left knee, which has to be carefully managed, and Gatland won’t risk him until the swelling has gone down.

Now Warburton, 24, could also miss the clash with Super 15 outfit Western Force in Perth on Wednesday.

Warburton, pictured, is not expected to see action until the Lions tour moves up a level against the Queensland Reds in Brisbane on June 8.

Lions backs guru Rob Howley attempted to play down Warburton’s injury scare, saying: “Sam had a slight bump in training last week and we just want to give him time before Saturday.

“The bump was to his knee. It’s just a bit puffy, that’s all – and we will assess it over the next 24 hours.”

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 30 May 2013, 3:50 pm

I also read that he could've played if they pumped it full of injections but it wasn't worth the risk. Drs say just to stay off it for 4-5 days.

Whether he makes the mid week game remains to be seen
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 30 May 2013, 3:51 pm

Hardly sounds like the serious tour threatening reason you are eluding to..!

Maybe less stirring and more interest in rugby could be your personal Moro from now on...?

Surely Sean O Bruens injury is far worse? He's been out two weeks and is still injured.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu 30 May 2013, 4:24 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Hardly sounds like the serious tour threatening reason you are eluding to..!

Maybe less stirring and more interest in rugby could be your personal Moro from now on...?

Surely Sean O Bruens injury is far worse? He's been out two weeks and is still injured.

Wow you do exaggerate! All I said is 'his involvement is not clear'.

A swollen knee can mean a lot of things & particularly if it is a 'troublesome knee that needs to be managed'.

Coaches will always talk down injuries but from the doublespeak about it certainly isn't clear when he will be playing again. Meanwhile other flankers will have the opportunity to prove themselves.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 30 May 2013, 4:25 pm

No shock at Warburton being injured, he hardly plays for the Blues or Wales. The next one to get injured is J Roberts but he goes off during a game for Wales but, he is always fit for the next game (except for the Blues) to get another cap/payslip. It seems to be a Cardiff Blues trait as Gethn Jenkins is now injured (he is getting back to the Cardiff ways early).

Someone on here stated Warburton is the most successful captain in the NH, is he? I seem to remember the last two championships G Jenkins and R Jones lifting the trophies as they were captains more than Warburton ignoring R Jones being captain for all the games in the 2008 GS.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 30 May 2013, 4:49 pm

Warburton should be sent home and given the rest of the season off to get his knee right for next season.

Time to send for Chris Robshaw or Tom Wood.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 30 May 2013, 4:50 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Warburton should be sent home and given the rest of the season off to get his knee right for next season.

Probs Kelly Brown before them
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 30 May 2013, 4:51 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Warburton should be sent home and given the rest of the season off to get his knee right for next season.

Way to overreact Maj. Common sense dictates waiting at least a few days to see what happens.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 30 May 2013, 4:53 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:

I was just about to say or Kelly Brown.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 30 May 2013, 4:53 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:

Sadly Brown didn't even get a stand-by letter for the tour Headscratch
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 30 May 2013, 4:54 pm

Is that confirmed? Silly move, IMO
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 May 2013, 4:54 pm

Maj, O'Brien and Kearney were not considered for this game as they are carrying injuries too. Where is your article about them, or your comments about sending them home? Or is your morbid hard on only for Warburton?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 30 May 2013, 4:56 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Is that confirmed? Silly move, IMO

According to another Scottish player (Jim Hamilton IIRC) - so it's "reliable rumour". Hard to believe, I'd have had him close to the starting XV at 6.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 May 2013, 4:56 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

Isn't that still a rumour? No-one knows the standby list do they? The rumour was that Best was not on the list either but that proved untrue.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 May 2013, 4:57 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:

Isn't that still a rumour? No-one knows the standby list do they? The rumour was that Best was not on the list either but that proved untrue.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu 30 May 2013, 5:02 pm

Griff wrote:Maj, O'Brien and Kearney were not considered for this game as they are carrying injuries too. Where is your article about them, or your comments about sending them home? Or is your morbid hard on only for Warburton?

To be fair Griff those players that haven't been involved with domestic play offs/finals would be considered first to play this weekend. Sam would definitely have been playing if fit Kearney & O'Brien probably wouldn't have.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 30 May 2013, 5:02 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Hardly sounds like the serious tour threatening reason you are eluding to..!

A swollen knee can mean a lot of things & particularly if it is a 'troublesome knee that needs to be managed'.

Coaches will always talk down injuries but from the doublespeak about it certainly isn't clear when he will be playing again. Meanwhile other flankers will have the opportunity to prove themselves.

Trev

Read what you just wrote.

As I said you are exaggerating a story beyond all possible parameters.he has a bump on the knee.

As I said Sean O Brien has a worse injury and is more likely to miss the tour.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 May 2013, 5:31 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
Griff wrote:Maj, O'Brien and Kearney were not considered for this game as they are carrying injuries too. Where is your article about them, or your comments about sending them home? Or is your morbid hard on only for Warburton?

To be fair Griff those players that haven't been involved with domestic play offs/finals would be considered first to play this weekend. Sam would definitely have been playing if fit Kearney & O'Brien probably wouldn't have.

They'd possibly be on the bench though. The news report quotes Gatland as saying they weren't considered as they are injured. All I'm saying is that Warburton is not the only injured player. We can't send all players home as soon as they pick up a knock. There'd be no squad left!

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 30 May 2013, 5:42 pm

It appears that "form" can stretch back as many moons as necessary when Welsh players are concerned. I vote we bring back Richard Hill, he was a form blindside a while ago too

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 30 May 2013, 6:01 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

Way to overreact Maj. Common sense dictates waiting at least a few days to see what happens.

Maj has posted numerous threads regarding his incomprehension that Warburton is a very good player and worthy of the praise he constantly receives.

I agree with all the other guys that Robshaw and Woods would be quite a way down the list of replacements should one be needed.

No one mentioned POM or Rennie yet..? Maybe even another eight option like Beattie or a decent back up flyhalf like Biggar or Hodgson...?

Well, I'd have Robshaw 2nd in line for flanker berths behind Brown, ahead of POM or Rennie. Number 8s are a different position altogether though Ryan Jones to cover all of 4,5,6,8 would be a good call-up.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 May 2013, 6:16 pm

BamBam wrote:It appears that "form" can stretch back as many moons as necessary when Welsh players are concerned. I vote we bring back Richard Hill, he was a form blindside a while ago too

You need to get some original material mate. The Richard Hill joke is a little old now.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 30 May 2013, 6:45 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Maj has posted numerous threads regarding his incomprehension that Warburton is a very good player and worthy of the praise he constantly receives.

I agree with all the other guys that Robshaw and Woods would be quite a way down the list of replacements should one be needed.

No one mentioned POM or Rennie yet..? Maybe even another eight option like Beattie or a decent back up flyhalf like Biggar or Hodgson...?

Well, I'd have Robshaw 2nd in line for flanker berths behind Brown, ahead of POM or Rennie. Number 8s are a different position altogether though Ryan Jones to cover all of 4,5,6,8 would be a good call-up.

As mentioned above its most likely Sean O'Brien not Warburton Ryan Jones is a great call CJ..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 31 May 2013, 6:19 am

maestegmafia wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:

Tom Wood (Eng) 70
Kelly Brown (Sco) 69
Chris Robshaw (Eng) 65
Thierry Dusautoir (Fra) 58
Ryan Grant (Sco) 52

Trev

As I said you are exaggerating a story beyond all possible parameters.he has a bump on the knee.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/international/sam-warburton-knee-injury-is-worse-than-first-thought-8638714.html

Maes,
It's not exaggeration I just said its not clear & this backs up what I said.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 31 May 2013, 6:42 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:

Tom Wood (Eng) 70
Kelly Brown (Sco) 69
Chris Robshaw (Eng) 65
Thierry Dusautoir (Fra) 58
Ryan Grant (Sco) 52

Trev

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/international/sam-warburton-knee-injury-is-worse-than-first-thought-8638714.html

Maes,
It's not exaggeration I just said its not clear & this backs up what I said.

Wow the Independent used to be one of the few sensalisim free news papers, that article makes it sound like he might never play again, when every other piece says "he has a bump on the knee"...!

You are so persistently pedantic you make me think that you don't want Warbuton to captain the lions.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next