The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sam Warburton

+16
funnyExiledScot
doctornickolas
goodoldstarsandstripes
Cymroglan
kultschar
RubyGuby
Cari
Coleman
Taffineastbourne
Shifty
welshy824
rodders
nottins_jones
Draigoch
Turkster
wales606
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sam Warburton Empty Sam Warburton

Post by Guest Sat 13 Aug 2011, 9:45 pm

Fair play to the lad, he's had two good games. Just watching the Sky coverage back and Fitzpatrick and the host have caught the typical media disease and misquoted Gatland. Best number 7 in the world? Who said that please.

Anyway, fair play to him. If we get a few more destructive forwards like him and maybe Lydiate, we will be okay.

Back to top Go down

Sam Warburton Empty Re: Sam Warburton

Post by wales606 Sat 13 Aug 2011, 9:47 pm

Yeah, Gats said he thought he was the best 7 in the NH, which is probably right at the moment.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sat 13 Aug 2011, 9:49 pm

massive for Wales, so happy we've got 2 thirds of a fantastic backrow with Lydiate as well, now we just need to sort out the no 8 position, this world cup may be too soon for Faletau, but he looks the long term bet, good to see. thumbsup

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Sat 13 Aug 2011, 9:52 pm

Well, it's been plain to see that he's very good for a while. Today I thought he went up another few gears, he was simply fantastic. Hitting rucks, linking up, tackling, carrying, stepping out for a line out, gathering loose ball...

The ten minutes leading up to the Wales try I couldn't believe it, he was everywhere. An astonishing level of fitness and ability.

I don't want to compare him to anyone (Pocock, McCaw etc..) but he does seem to model his game on McCaw and was simply awesome today.

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Sat 13 Aug 2011, 9:56 pm

I hate how he's compared to Martyn Williams when really they aren't similar players at all. Sam has always said how he's idolised Richie McCaw; I think his style is more similar to the All Black captains.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 13 Aug 2011, 9:57 pm

Draigoch wrote:
I don't want to compare him to anyone (Pocock, McCaw etc..) but he does seem to model his game on McCaw and was simply awesome today.

Well I will then, he's the closest thing in the NH to Pocock and McCaw that I've seen. He's a fantastic player and Wales are very lucky to have him. I'd say he's a real contender for the next Lions captain.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Sat 13 Aug 2011, 10:01 pm

warbs and lydiate are a fantastic set of flankers and i think they will make a name for themselves at the wc, espicially as alot of the SH fans havent heard of them and are bigging up the likes of pocock.

as a teenager who plays flanker it is such a good thing to watch players like warburton and lydiate to see how they play the game and how i can learn from watching them

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 13 Aug 2011, 10:02 pm

nottins_jones wrote:I hate how he's compared to Martyn Williams when really they aren't similar players at all. Sam has always said how he's idolised Richie McCaw; I think his style is more similar to the All Black captains.

I don't think anyone compares them like for like, I think everyone is just happy Wales have replaced someone who was such an amazing player for us so quickly.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Sat 13 Aug 2011, 10:08 pm

Alyn some people on here have, saying how he's learnt everything he knows from him which is all BS. The commentators tend to say it a bit too often aswell, today in particular. Martyn's a bit of a lag on the squad now, however Gatland's hinted for him to be involved next week. Perhaps he'll get his 100th cap.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 13 Aug 2011, 10:09 pm

nottins_jones wrote:Alyn some people on here have, saying how he's learnt everything he knows from him which is all BS. The commentators tend to say it a bit too often aswell, today in particular. Martyn's a bit of a lag on the squad now, however Gatland's hinted for him to be involved next week. Perhaps he'll get his 100th cap.

I think Martyn will captain Wales against Namibia to be honest mate, Rees is injured it seems, Warburton will be captain for Wales at the world cup, and Warburton will be rested for the Namibia game. Williams can get his 100th cap as captain and say goodbye all in one go.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sat 13 Aug 2011, 10:13 pm

nottins_jones wrote:Alyn some people on here have, saying how he's learnt everything he knows from him which is all BS. The commentators tend to say it a bit too often aswell, today in particular. Martyn's a bit of a lag on the squad now, however Gatland's hinted for him to be involved next week. Perhaps he'll get his 100th cap.

I seem to remember a big debate about why Welsh rugby went downhill after the 70's and the result of it all was that all the experience that came from those years was lost because the great players weren't involved in the game any more, glad we've learned from that and are now using experience from people who've been there, seen it and done it all to help our youngsters along, long may it continue I say.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sat 13 Aug 2011, 10:22 pm

Wales have a great backrow at its creation.All three will be seen as greats.If we could import some second row forwards like our near neihbours import backs/front rowers we might be cooking with gas!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sun 14 Aug 2011, 12:59 am

Am i wrong in thinking that this back row will be better if Wales secure Ben Morgan as our No.8? Toby is very athletic, but i think Morgan would be ideal coming off of the scrum gaining a few more yards with Warbs and Lyds there to clear out for him. Hes a heck of a unit.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:46 am

Actually Gatland stated he will play Martin Williams against Argentina.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:54 am

Coleman wrote:Am i wrong in thinking that this back row will be better if Wales secure Ben Morgan as our No.8? Toby is very athletic, but i think Morgan would be ideal coming off of the scrum gaining a few more yards with Warbs and Lyds there to clear out for him. Hes a heck of a unit.

Do you think that Ben Morgan may choose to play for England (provided he gets the opportunity) as Falatau is being considered by many as the future 8 for Wales?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:57 am

Oops.. back on topic, Warburton is really developing well, and the captaincy seems to have given him extra impetus. Playing style apart, he definatley will have learned a lot from Martyn, mentally at least.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:58 am

Bread of Seven's has done really well over the last year or so which is good to see. I'm not sure he'll be captain at the RWC, but we'll definitely see him as Welsh captain again in future.

If he's mimicking Richie McCaw, then he can only get better although he might not be smart enough to get away with what RM does! Wink

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:04 am

Ben Morgan will choose Wales IMO and then we can perm any of the following (no pun intended Toby)

8 - Toby, Morgan, Delve
7 - Warburton, Tuperic, Turnbull
6 - Lydiate, Delve, Ryan
5 - Bradley, Toby (don't shout at me), Ryan
4 - AWJ, Charteris

We need more grunt and Morgan brings it. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:48 am

In fairness, i think maybe Ben Morgan will, but if he dosnt wont hold it against him. Got to do whats right for him. Would be good to have contrasting number 8s available to us. We do in a way now, but Delve never seems to get a look in.

But Warbs is geting better, thought making him captain against England was a bit much, but he really seems to have jumped on it and used it to up his game. Only problem i had was when the Ref was giving him an ear bashing he was saying "Oh yeah sure, sure. Sure, sure. Yes, sure." In a slightly petulent way. He needs to get in the ear of the ref more. But it comes with time i guess.

On a side note. My uncle renamed Toby yesterday during the game.

Ladies and Gentlemen... Froby Faletau

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:55 am

Coleman wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen... Froby Faletau

I dare you to up to him and call him that Cool
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:58 am

I think he'd take it well, its just a playful nickname. If i started talking about his lip slug, i dont think he'd be so happy.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Aug 2011, 10:05 am

Froby Clubbing

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Sun 14 Aug 2011, 12:13 pm

Sunday Times' Stephen Jones on Sam Warburton:

'Growing into the role, though he may be better off concentrating on his flanking skills for now' 7

He gave Fourie an 8. What a fool.
Also Hape got a 1 (!) and Flood a 3..ouch

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Sun 14 Aug 2011, 12:31 pm

Fourie was meant to destroy our backrow at the breakdown. Guess that didn't happen so only god knows how he got an 8 and Warburton a 7.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:14 pm

What?! Stephen Jones is an idiot - Warbs was a 9/10 this Saturday and 8/9 last week.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by kultschar Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:20 pm

I think Warburton should remain Captain - did anybody notice how vocal and pumped up the man was? He was screaming at his team mates, organising them, encouraging them. Im a big fan of Rees but I think he is a bit too quiet (like Jones before him)

kultschar

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:21 pm

I am a fan of Rees as a player but never a Captain. Warburton has all the attributes, intelligent, vocal and leads from the front - he can of course only get better. It's been a long time for Wales to have such a leader and all of a sudden a few players are starting to stand up.

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:23 pm

I always thought he was good, but in that 10 minutes where he was everywhere and stood up as a captain to take us to a victory really showed me the quality that he has. Yesterday he would be a 9 or even a 10 for me. What else could he possibly do? Drop a goal?

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:26 pm

He could have been politely more assertive with the ref. I actually think refs will like him as he seems a non controversial balanced lad, even in defeat he was generous last week (unlike some)
thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:29 pm

Not only does he lead by example he also looks comfortable during interviews.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:37 pm

Agree that more interaction with the ref may have stoped some of the nonsense re the yellow cards .He will learn.Great 7 in a great backrow.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by goodoldstarsandstripes Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:00 pm

Warburton is a lad.

goodoldstarsandstripes

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:14 pm

Draigoch wrote:I always thought he was good, but in that 10 minutes where he was everywhere and stood up as a captain to take us to a victory really showed me the quality that he has. Yesterday he would be a 9 or even a 10 for me. What else could he possibly do? Drop a goal?

lets be fair to the lad he isint parrise Wink

still found that one of the best things to watch parrise basically carried his team, then slots over a drop goal aswell if italy had a team of parrise's well...

anyway back on subject. warburton does look the real deal- the fact he has stepped up to the captains role at such a young age

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:20 am

I like what he brings to the team.

Not only a great player but a good captain.

He is a fitness fanatic and will expect others to follow which will raise the bar again. I think he was also instrumental in the no beer policy last week and forcing through a more professional attitude. Where he leads others will follow and people like Powell already look immature next to him.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:36 am

I guess the big worry for Wales is he doesnt follow the familiar pattern of looking really promising but then starts believing his own press and stops working hard and improving.

You only have to look back to 2003 to see Wales had an entire team of extremely promising young players and look at how many of them are still around today.
Far too many of them have fallen off the wagon over the years for my liking.
The New Zealanders were raving about Jonathan Thomas all action displays at the 2003 World Cup, here we are in 2011 with JT only 28 and instead of being at the peak of his powers he looks a very, very average player.

A whole host of players like Gareth Cooper, Dwayne Peel, Robert Sidoli, Michael Owen, Duncan Jones, Dafydd Jones, Ceri Sweeney, Huw Bennett, Alix Popham, Mark Jones, Gavin Henson, have all fallen by the way side and failed to reach their potential.

If I'm being honest it's better to be thankful for what Warburton is doing now, instead of hoping what he might do for us in the future.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:44 am

I know there's a bunch of Welsh fans on here who don't rate Gatland, but I think he deserves huge credit for taking what was becoming a big weakness for Wales in the back row, and turning it into a strength. He's backed his new young trio so far, and I think if you put Ryan Jones to 8 and use Falatau as an impact sub, then you'll strike the right balance.

The Sunday Times buffoon, Stephen Jones, went as far as to say that Warburton was a future Lions captain. Not sure I'd go that far, but I do think he's the best 7 in the NH at the moment, and coming from a Scot and big fan of John Barclay, that's high praise.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:54 am

To be fair Michael Owen had to retire through injury no ? Headscratch
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:54 am

As an aside, I'm surprised this lot haven't copped on and used Sam for their advertising Smile

http://www.warburtons.co.uk/

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:55 am

Bread of Seven 🤦
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:57 am

I thought Warburton was absolutley outstanding at the weekend, perhaps one of the best displays from an openside Flanker I have ever seen. His ability to make the tackle, get on his feet and try to disposses the tackler was superb. Eitherway the Lions 7 berth will be hotly contested and an area of considerable strength.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:16 am

AlynDavies wrote:

I think Martyn will captain Wales against Namibia to be honest mate, Rees is injured it seems, Warburton will be captain for Wales at the world cup, and Warburton will be rested for the Namibia game. Williams can get his 100th cap as captain and say goodbye all in one go.

Probably best thing to do as Jacques Burger will probably injure at least one Welsh player. Better to lose Martyn Williams than Sam Warburton. Namibia's only strength is their captain. He is definitely their best player by a long way and will give any Welsh backrower a hell of a battle!

I really rate Warburton. He is a good player. Don't get ahead of yourselves though. He is a work in progress. I also think Fourie is hugely overrated.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:31 am

If he's vocal and inspiring on the pitch why does he need to be captain? Anyone playing can do that. The only unique thing about the captain is that they communicate with the ref. Any thoughts on the fact Wales got 2 yellow cards from repeat ruck infringements and the penalty count was so high?

He will gain expereince of communicating with refs and figuring out how to 'play' them so it may well be a case of sucking it up for now.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:33 am

"If he's vocal and inspiring on the pitch why does he need to be captain?"

You lost me after that sentence Hammer - sorry

Yellow cards were harsh IMO and he didn't deal with the England players in the same way despite having his hand in his pocket reaching for the card.

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:50 am

A lot the penalties came from scrums where the English scrummaged illegally anyway
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:06 am

RubyGuby wrote:"If he's vocal and inspiring on the pitch why does he need to be captain?"

You lost me after that sentence Hammer - sorry

Yellow cards were harsh IMO and he didn't deal with the England players in the same way despite having his hand in his pocket reaching for the card.

I thought Roberts' yellow was harsh but Phillips deserved his, cynical way to breakdown the play.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:07 am

Cari wrote:As an aside, I'm surprised this lot haven't copped on and used Sam for their advertising Smile

http://www.warburtons.co.uk/
I guess it's because the vast majority of the population won't have heard of Warburton. There are only a few rugby players that are well known among non-rugby followers. Jonny is one (for the right reasons) and Henson is another (for the wrong ones).

I'm afraid it would be a case of Sam Who?

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:39 am

Radge - Banahan did exactly the same as Phillips and the ref went to punish with a yellow and then stopped - I found that very strange as did the commentators.

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:40 am

They would have heard of him now Milk thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:44 am

Ruby, Wales had received repeated warnings about this type of offence and also a final warning. England hadn't up until that point.

The ref was just giving both sides the same opportunity to address the problem. OK

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:48 am

Sorry Milk but the ref brought both Captains together in the first half and made Tindall go back and get Easter and told both teams that there are repeated infringements with players coming off the floor and others illegally infringing around the ruck (28 th minute) - Both teams - and he then failed to penalise Care and he sent off Roberts who was the tackler in that incident. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next