The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"BIG" Free Agent signed by TNA

+17
Shot 21 LCFC
Crimey
DP
Kenny
MetalMotty
Kay Fabe
The_Enigma
NickisBHAFC
VDT
Mr Video Man
Hero
Adam D
Dr Gregory House MD
Fernando
ManUtdImy
Bull
Dolphin Ziggler
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

"BIG" Free Agent signed by TNA - Page 2 Empty "BIG" Free Agent signed by TNA

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 30 May 2013, 8:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

"@TNADixie: And the ink is just drying on a BIG free agent that will rock #ImpactLIVE on @SpikeTV. Tune in & join us on this summer adventure."

Any guesses who?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

"BIG" Free Agent signed by TNA - Page 2 Empty Re: "BIG" Free Agent signed by TNA

Post by Adam D Wed 05 Jun 2013, 11:14 am

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:Lesnar will knock Jackson the f*ck out!!!

That is a ridiculous comment as they are different weight classes.

And Lesnar was not very good in UFC once people found out he didnt like to get punched.

Jackson is a harder man than Lesnar ever was but smaller so would most probably lose in a fight.

And as for King Mo - he isnt really a big MMA star, certainly not in the same category as Rampage.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

"BIG" Free Agent signed by TNA - Page 2 Empty Re: "BIG" Free Agent signed by TNA

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 05 Jun 2013, 11:31 am

My pal who does the Daily Mirror stuff said intriguing rather than exciting but he was undoubtedly a star in MMA.

The point with King Mo was they clearly thought he was going to be worth something to them yet he's not been so far. Makes me wonder whether this signing is primarily for the Bellator stuff or TNA as I saw it announced as a Bellator/TNA signing

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 05 Jun 2013, 11:38 am

Pretty much underestimates Lesnar as a whole that statement too. Let alone him being a different entity I also think he had to be really bloody good to do what he did. I'd venture he is easily the superior athlete.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Wed 05 Jun 2013, 1:16 pm

Adam D wrote:
Shot 21 LCFC wrote:Lesnar will knock Jackson the f*ck out!!!

That is a ridiculous comment as they are different weight classes.

And Lesnar was not very good in UFC once people found out he didnt like to get punched.

Jackson is a harder man than Lesnar ever was but smaller so would most probably lose in a fight.

And as for King Mo - he isnt really a big MMA star, certainly not in the same category as Rampage.

I was only jokin (in my head I said it in the style of Chris Tucker in Friday). I dont actually know what Jackson looks like as Im not massively into MMA. Although I know he must be a star as I instantly recognised the name.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by DP Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:38 pm

He played BA in the A Team movie.

Whether that helps I don't know, but I might keep an eye, having had a baited interest in MMA.

DP

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:50 pm

Oh him?! Wow that is quite big!! Still wont make me watch TNA though.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by DP Wed 05 Jun 2013, 6:08 pm

Same here, but I'll keep an eye out.

DP

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu 06 Jun 2013, 11:39 am

His promos should be good.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 06 Jun 2013, 11:49 am

I think Jackson could be a very very good signing for TNA, mainstream media interest may not be off the chart but it'll divert some eyes to TNA, which even if only briefly is something they wouldn't have had previously.

He's clearly very charismatic, as for how he'll do in the ring, well he's reportedly a huge pro wrestling fan, hence why he appeared on Raw and seemed genuinly interested, so at least he'll be egear to train, also if I remember correctly (not a huge MMA fan) he was renown in Pride for his impressive slams, so if he can translate that into a pro wrestling context he could be devestating without having to be fundementally amazing.

All in all potentiolally a good signing for TNA but hopefully he calls himself 'Rampage' Jackson as Quinton is a really gay name, not that I'd say it too his face.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Thu 06 Jun 2013, 11:58 am

You're right, I read the other day that he actually won a match (possibly a title too) with a power slam. If he can manage to not knock people out when he drops them, he should be ok in that respect!

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 06 Jun 2013, 12:05 pm

I could be overshooting the mark here, but ever since I heard and though about the signing, I've had the ever ever so slightest wiff of a Goldberg, physical, charasmatic, genunine sporting background and mainstream profile.

Obviously if Goldberg was so easy to replicate he wouldn't be a one off over 10 years later, but depending on how he takes to wrestling, and if TNA are sensible, there's every chance he could be a big signing for them.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu 06 Jun 2013, 12:29 pm

The problem though, is that if he still fighting for Bellatore, he will be restricted to what he can do in the ring in case of injury.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 06 Jun 2013, 12:39 pm

nasisillmatic wrote:The problem though, is that if he still fighting for Bellatore, he will be restricted to what he can do in the ring in case of injury.

Is that not King Mo you're thinking of?, unless I'm mistaken Rampage is totally retired from MMA.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 06 Jun 2013, 12:43 pm

Dr Gregory House MD wrote:
nasisillmatic wrote:The problem though, is that if he still fighting for Bellatore, he will be restricted to what he can do in the ring in case of injury.

Is that not King Mo you're thinking of?, unless I'm mistaken Rampage is totally retired from MMA.

This was a double signing. TNA and Bellator have signed Rampage.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 06 Jun 2013, 12:47 pm

Crimey wrote:
Dr Gregory House MD wrote:

This was a double signing. TNA and Bellator have signed Rampage.

Ah, thanks, saved me from the strenuos effort of actually having to use Wikipedia.

This has dented my optimisim some what, I though Jackson would be 100% dedicated to his wrestling training, but if he's going to continue in MMA then I'm less optimistic, that said all the points I made still stand, and he's infinatly a more useful signing that King Mo.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:17 pm

He's said this week that he plans to be in a tag team with King Mo. Could be interesting, gives them both a chance to come in with some impact and hide their deficiencies as they begin, whilst probably highlighting their MMA skills as their gimmick/style rather than looking notably behind wrestling wise.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by CJB Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:01 pm

A few things as more of a MMA fan than Wrestling

Jackson is known as one of the most entertaining/colourful characters around MMA
One of the main two things he is known for in terms of fighting style was his slams, which he famously used to knock out Ricard Arona ima. Number one contenders bout.
Him and King Mo also have a little rivalry with little digs and Rampage naming him 'Queen Mo' so not sure what to make of that. I think Bellator would love a joint TNA and Bellator storyline which sees King Mo win current Bellator tournament and then the belt whilst Rampage wins the next tournament. They would simultaneously win the tag team titles. However with a Rampage v Mo Title Fight coming up they'd have one fighter turn which could persuade some TNA fans to tune in to Mo v Rampage

CJB

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Mon 10 Jun 2013, 3:24 pm

I've not watched wrestling in months but when I heard that Rampage had joined TNA I thought I'd share a few thoughts:

Rampage is a genuinely big name in the MMA world being a former Pride and UFC champion. His record is 32-10 (W-L) so with over three times more wins than losses he's a proven veteran whose had a very successful career. Rampage also possesses real knock out power, however, its precisely this power that has stunted his growth as a mixed martial artist as he became a very one dimensional fighter towards the end of his UFC career, eventually losing his last 3 fights. Jackson even alluded to his "addiction" to knocking people out in his TNA debut. Ultimately Jackson is a more old skool fighter who's not been able to adapt to the modern sport of MMA. His last big fight was against current reigning Lightheavyweight champion Jon Jones who submitted him in the fourth round. Jones personifies the new generation of versatile and multi-talented mixed martial artists who have a wide range of skills and possess extraordinary athletic ability.

Jackson is a charismatic figure, in one respect suited to the world of pro wrestling but I very much doubt we will see Rampage in a TNA ring for several months, as he will also be working for Bellator and will need to be trained how to wrestle safely and pull his punches, otherwise he will be a risk to whoever he's facing. Nevertheless it would make sense for TNA to try and have him wrestle on the BFG card in October to boost PPV sales and give their flagship PPV that marquee feel.

I don't really think this is the kind of signing TNA need - yes it makes headlines and may boost ratings until the novelty wears off, but Jackson is not going to turn into the new Goldberg. Historically cross-over fighters have not made successful wrestling careers and even though Rampage is arguably the highest calibre of fighter wrestling has attracted, I don't see that trend changing.

In my opinion, TNA should look to sign quality wrestlers such as Christian again from WWE. They need guys who know how to wrestle, can sell, can tell a story and who are ring generals. Rampage is a novelty not an investment.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2