The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Positive LIONS - Time to Roar!

+17
jimmyinthewell68
GunsGerms
bluestonevedder
Mickado
RuggerRadge2611
George Carlin
bedfordwelsh
westisbest
patersonismyhero
Toadfish
offload
RDW
Cyril
Ulster12
LondonTiger
ultra
RubyGuby
21 posters

Go down

Positive LIONS - Time to Roar! Empty Positive LIONS - Time to Roar!

Post by RubyGuby Mon 10 Jun 2013, 9:26 am

Whilst I think it's perfectly acceptable for us "fans" to disagree and side with our own nations players on occasion; the threads sometimes get sabotaged and become overly toxic. As a consequence I am going to suggest that this remains a positive Lions Thread as now is the time we need it most. In essence I am going to ask for positive comments on players not from your own country only. I will ask the mods to remove anything negative. Let's just try and have one thread dedicated to this. It will make a difference if we can as some excellent posters are becoming disillusioned which is a great shame at this exciting time. Of course i will start with my offerings:

I thought Ben Youngs was MOM and looking sharp and getting back to his menacing self in his last game. I'm glad to see a class act like Corbisiero being given this opportunity. Without his recent injuries he would have been on the plane and for me he looks a modern day (and of course younger) Gethin Jenkins. Ritchie Grey looking well and I'd like to see him alongside POC; possibly for the Test combo. It's time to see OUR boys get after it as the Aussies are gelling as a nation against US and they will be well up for the task. Be positive about your compatriots where you feel threy have shown their mettle thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Positive LIONS - Time to Roar! Empty Re: Positive LIONS - Time to Roar!

Post by ultra Mon 10 Jun 2013, 9:29 am

This is more like it!

I can't wait for George North to get the ball in space and not have to close my eyes in worry!!

ultra

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 10 Jun 2013, 9:31 am

George North has definitely been the star for me, with the added bonus that his running style always makes me chuckle.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ulster12 Mon 10 Jun 2013, 9:34 am

Really excited about SOB Tips and Heaslip in the back row for tomorrow, that is a dangerous trio!

And of course Hogg at 10, hope he has a stormer!!

Ulster12

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 10 Jun 2013, 9:35 am

Yeah, North is pretty incredible.

Just slots in at centre and runs through and round half the Reds side. His passing is better than I thought too. He's definitely a more rounded player than I gave him credit for.

[/grittedteethmode] Wink

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 10 Jun 2013, 9:42 am

I love this Lions - it's great as a Scotsman to be able to cheer on some talented players for a change….! Very Happy

Joking aside it is great being able to cheer on these players you don’t normally get to – I was going mental when Bowe and North made those breaks, I normally have my head in my hands!

What is particularly pleasing is to see the Scots involved with these world class players and not look out of place. I’m so happy that Stuart Hogg is involved – he will learn so much from these players and the fact that his first ever pro start at 10 will be running a backline of Roberts, BoD and North etc is incredible!

Hogg was 8 when waltzing O’Driscoll was created in 2001!!!

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Mon 10 Jun 2013, 9:45 am; edited 2 times in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 10 Jun 2013, 9:44 am

Very impressed with POC and Gray - test starters for me. Also think the Irish backrowers have really stood up. Vunipola has been excellent and Youngs is pushing Phillips all the way. Most dissapointed about Bowe as I thought he was a certain at 14 and playing really well.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Mon 10 Jun 2013, 9:46 am

Great idea for a thread, let’s hope it lasts. Think we all (admitting my guilt) get too caught up in the little battles and miss the big picture!

After the second game I was amazed to go through the squad and see that, with the exception of fly half you could have a very good debate about 2 people for pretty much every position. Injuries have taken a bit of their toll on that now but still think there are some great options everywhere and some serious headaches for the selectors.

Highlights for me have been North, SOB, Bowe (great shame), Tipuric (Can't wait to see a bit more) and Halfpenny's kicking. That performance from the tee was unbelievable. Reminded me of an England game years ago when Wilkinson was having that sort of game when Will Greenwood went over for a try somewhere near the middle. He then ran over and touched it down as close to touch as he could just to challenge the young man. Would be a better story if he got it but he missed!

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by patersonismyhero Mon 10 Jun 2013, 9:51 am

Going to agree, it's nice to watch the Welsh boys have stormers in the way they do and be ENJOYING it for once.

For example having watched Phillips year in, year out, score tries from the breakdown 5-15m out from the try line, at key moments, I always scream at my (or other sometimes) teams to do their homework and know it's going to happen. Now I can kick back and relax about it (assuming he features in the tests.)

As much as I would LOVE to see all of Grant, Gray, Maitland and Hogg line up against Oz, in reality I think seeing 50% of them in the Starting XXII is realistic. These are our star players and so it's credit to all the other nations that so many have been kept out of the touring squad and probably the test side.

patersonismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 10 Jun 2013, 9:55 am

North has been class so far.

Backrow does look quality for tomorrow's game.
Lets hope the injuries keep to a minimal.

Been impressed with Youngs aswell.

Look forward to seeing Zebo playing.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 10 Jun 2013, 9:56 am

Paterson - All 4 of the Scots lads are good enough to feature in the Test team IMO - It just depends on how Gatland wants to play. He has an abundance of talent at his disposal so let's bring it on and take it to these Aussies thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 10 Jun 2013, 9:59 am

Youngs, Gray, Parling, SOB, POC and Vunipola have all impressed me and am hoping Corbs hits the ground running.

Bowe looked sharp before injury
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Jun 2013, 10:00 am

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:Yeah, North is pretty incredible.

Just slots in at centre and runs through and round half the Reds side. His passing is better than I thought too. He's definitely a more rounded player than I gave him credit for.

[/grittedteethmode] Wink

Cyril! Wink thumbsup guinness

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 10 Jun 2013, 10:00 am

RubyGuby wrote:Paterson - All 4 of the Scots lads are good enough to feature in the Test team IMO - It just depends on how Gatland wants to play. He has an abundance of talent at his disposal so let's bring it on and take it to these Aussies thumbsup

Matt Stevens is about the only player I definitely do not want to see in a match day squad. Sorry, to be positive instead, there seems to be some great quality available across all positions. I would be happy (bar maybe one player) with pretty much any lineup put out.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 10 Jun 2013, 10:00 am

I agree Ruby. I think that what is being overlooked by a lot of people is that the areas where we have played less well in the games up to now are the areas where we figured that we would. The areas where the team listing indicated that we would be strong, we were. I would be more worried if there had been any galloping shocks (apart from injuries) but I don't think that there have been, really. Conditions, weak opponents and unfamiliarity simply have got to be taken into account, regardless of how much it might suit some posters personal agendas to ignore them.

If you take a potential front row of 1. Corbs/Grant (either one is a very strong technician) 2. Best and 3. Jones, then I genuinely believe we will take apart the Aussie scrum. If any of the Aussie front row of Robinson-Moore-Alexander get injured, then I think that they are in deep poop as the replacements for each are a definitely step down in quality. If we were going to lose players in the front row, then I'd rather it was at 1 - being able to call on replacements that are the quality of Grant and Corbs is terrific if you think about it. Whom would the fourth choice Wallaby loosehead be? Hmm, exactly.

Central jumpers being POC and Gray really is a hugely strong test pairing (although both Parling and AWJ will do a job as well) and our tail jumpers are so much better than Australia's current offerings at line out play - especially if Croft gets on. The only concern is Best finding his best arrows. Youngs has played absolutely fine, however and I wouldn't be too upset if he started.

Thank god that Youngs has started to play well because it gives us a genuine change of pace and style if for whatever reason Philips is getting no change out of Genia. Sexton is playing well and needs no further comment. I don't share the views of the Farrellhaters, incidentally - I may have reservations about his behaviour sometimes but I don't need to have a beer with him, I need him to get his backline moving and kick his goals and he shows every sign of doing that.

I think that BOD/Roberts will score a truckload midweek as their unfortunate opposite numbers are a university student and an office worker. Don't care about that - these two need fluency and practice but show every sign of being as influential as they were in 2009.

I also have no fear about the back three - I'd start with Leigh and have Hogg on the bench as a supersub who can genuinely cover wing, full back and centre (where he's played for Glasgow). I would be happy with North and Maitland, provided Sean can take his chance to show us why he's here in the first place which I honestly don't believe he's had the chance to do yet.

So, in summary - a kevlar front row, an excellent boiler house combining experience and athleticism, the best collection of loose forward options that the NH has had in a decade, a first choice halfback combination with skills, a centre combination with previously proven complementary abilities, wingers playing well and a goalkicker who currently cannot miss. What's not to like at the moment?

We may well not win the series, because that's the nature of the sport and mistakes will inevitably be made in the cauldron of a test match. But I think that we have more reason to be optimistic than we did against either set of test opponents in 2005 and 2009.

Looking forward to it.

I think that it would have taken less space just to say that I agree with Ruby. Run
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Jun 2013, 10:06 am

What excites me is that injuries have occurred and, unlike normal where you call up some kid from home with little experience, we are able to call up the likes of Grant who arguably will strengthen the squad even more! Happy days!

I'd love to see Welsh players playing in the tests but honestly, hand on heart, I just want to see the best team from those who have put their hands up this tour. I've said all along in the pre- tournament 'pick your Lions team' threads that all I want is for Gatland to take who he wants and then pick the best from those who play well in the warm up games.

Looking forward to seeing Bod and Roberts together, but thought that Bod and Tuilagi looked good.

Would like to see what a front row of Vunipola, Youngs/Hibbard and Jones could do too if they get the chance!

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 10 Jun 2013, 10:08 am

To be fair to Stevens, knock on aside, I thought he actually did pretty well on Saturday! He demolished their scrum and showed up well in the loose. It is still, um, surprising that he was selected (as positive as I can be) be he stood up well and by no means embarrassed himself.

From Twitter it sounds like he is a positive tourist too with his guitar playing and singing and that all helps the squad.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 10 Jun 2013, 10:09 am

Hogg I though played really well on Saturday, he seemed to be everywhere in that 1st half, North for me was trully outstanding though.

He is an absolute monster.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 10 Jun 2013, 10:15 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:To be fair to Stevens, knock on aside, I thought he actually did pretty well on Saturday! He demolished their scrum and showed up well in the loose. It is still, um, surprising that he was selected (as positive as I can be) be he stood up well and by no means embarrassed himself.

From Twitter it sounds like he is a positive tourist too with his guitar playing and singing and that all helps the squad.

He did very well on Saturday, just glad there are stronger options available. I am sure he is a damned fine tourist especially in his role of official food taster - there to make sure that no-one gets food poisoning.

I think it is great that, while we all obviously have our favourites, there is strength in depth. Hopefully this positivity lasts.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 10 Jun 2013, 10:17 am

North is a bloody superstar and I'm thankful for the opportunity to cheer him on for once!

His offload is absolutely lethal.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 10 Jun 2013, 10:19 am

Lions with a ruck in midfield:

Sexton - Roberts - BOD - North lining up across the pitch

How do the Aussies defend that, there's so many permutations for what way the ball could go. If Roberts can pick up the Leinster loop, they will be devastating.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 10 Jun 2013, 10:40 am

Mickado wrote:Lions with a ruck in midfield:

Sexton - Roberts - BOD - North lining up across the pitch

How do the Aussies defend that, there's so many permutations for what way the ball could go. If Roberts can pick up the Leinster loop, they will be devastating.

Especially if you have 2 of Zebo/Maitland/Cuthbert or Hogg/Halfpenny coming in from their wings or from full back to add to the attack.

Any word on Kearney? My gut instinct sadly is if we don't see him this Saturday, we might not see him at all.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 10 Jun 2013, 10:42 am

Excited by the backrow for tomorrow's game. Looks like the best balanced backrow we've fielded so far.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 10 Jun 2013, 10:43 am

It would be sad for Kearney, but in terms of preperation for test 1/2P needs to play on Saturday IMO, which means he is probably now redundant.

It reminds me of Mike Catt in 2001 - he had a back injury that ruled him out of most games but they kept him on the tour - he came back for a game and his back went while chasing a ball.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:12 am

Best players so far in order of worth as I see it:

Bowe / 1/2p. Bowe best attacking threat and also good D. 1/2p is an incredible athlete with lazer like goal kicking. A real asset.

POC - has been outstanding in all games he has played. Some think he may oust Warb as captain.

North - A real counter attacking threat. Was never in doubt that he would be one of the key Lions.

Grey - Will definitly feature in the tests.

Vunap - Lucky to have benifited from injuries to Healy and Jenkins who are better players but when given the chance he certainly embraced it which is the sign of a good player.

Sexton/Philips - Test certainties. As Sexton is well able to attack the line flat this may also allow Philips to use him as a decoy and attack the line himself. The two together might just be devastating.

Drico/Roberts - Both have been very effective. Drico is joint top try scorer for the tour so far and Roberts has probably made more yards than anyone else up the middle.

We cant afford too many more injuries.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:21 am

bowe played excellent pity about injury otherwise lion starter for certain

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Mon 10 Jun 2013, 1:00 pm

There are quite a few positions where we could cope if the optimum choice isn't available - the centres ought to be okay come what may, back-row lots of options, second row lots of options (so long as they involve POC!). Was impressed with Parling against the Reds, Gray has been good, AWJ has been good. But POC is that one level up, for me.

Biggest worry is Sexton, I do hope he's not in real trouble with this hamstring.

After that, particularly having lost Tommy Bowe, we need George North to stay fit.

Am impressed by Youngs at S/H, I don't mind too much whether it is Phillips or Youngs in the test team.

It's hard to judge Vunipola, although he's looked pretty good so far; if he plays in the test team, it may tip the balance towards Hibbard at hooker, as the strongest scrummager.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 10 Jun 2013, 1:02 pm

this threads a nice change......

so far:

Vunipola - Wasn't a huge fan, but hes really impressed me so far, scrummaging has been strong, his work in the loose has been excellent and powerful.

POC/Gray - They have both been very good (especially POC - the mans a machine), currently the test pair! (although I personally am hoping Evans can step it up from his last performance, he has been wales most under-rated player this year and I think he is a more complete player in the tight than AWJ.)

Heaslip - Well, well, well, this is not the same Heaslip I watched in the 6 nations. Looks like hes enjoying the chance to carry the ball slightly wider into the midfield and use his dynamism and ball-handling skills. Seems a step up in every department from the last outings (I'd say these were more familar showings to his early international career!)

Bowe - such a shame he got injured, had him pencilled in for a wing spot for the test alongside North and halfpenny.

Maitland - I think he'll take Bowe's spot, Cuthbert has done some very good things, and some bad things. Maitland has been consistent and is an excellent footballer, alongside the power of North and defensive consistency of Halfpenny I think Maitland would complete an excellent back 3 with Hogg on the bench as cover/to make an impact.

Hogg - Never worried about him in attack, but his tactical awareness and decision making I thought were good against the Reds (an area I thought wasn't as great), he tried to keep the ball in hand once too often but proved his worth at the back for me.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 10 Jun 2013, 5:24 pm

At last!About time we had some unity. clap

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 10 Jun 2013, 5:53 pm

Vunipola certainly the find of the tour for me, and the quality of options in the back row is as strong as I can remember for the Lions.

The two Welsh bulldozers, Roberts and North, look ready to do some damage, and Sexton has looked a class act.

My confidence is growing, notwithstanding the unlucky run of injuries.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down