The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Price - Still have the World at his feet ???

+15
Adam D
monty junior
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
tunes666
TheMackemMawler
milkyboy
ShahenshahG
BoxingFan88
Strongback
seanmichaels
TopHat24/7
ONETWOFOREVER
bhb001
Rowley
TRUSSMAN66
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

David Price - Still have the World at his feet ??? Empty David Price - Still have the World at his feet ???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:09 pm

Timing is everything in life........and the funny thing is the Thompson loss just might be what the guy needed......Let's face it the loss was a bit freakish apparently he had an injured eardrum which does affect your balance....

More importantly he is out of the equation at the the right time!!........It will take him another year to get to World level after he beats Thompson which he will!!!!.... and in that time both Klits will probably be gone........Fury or Haye will probably be damaged goods........and believe it or not I still think he's the most polished out of all the Brit heavies If not the best...Haye still is but he gets older and more de-motivated day by day,,,,

Napoleon always said "Never mind if he's good.......... Is he lucky???

Have a feeling a la Schmelling-Louis........The Thompson loss might not affect him one bit.........It might actually do him long term good...As the streets might clear up for him!!

Price still has the World at his feet..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

David Price - Still have the World at his feet ??? Empty Re: David Price - Still have the World at his feet ???

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:23 pm

I am really conflicted on this Truss, before getting splattered by Thompson I had the most hopes for Price of all the upcoming contenders. Seemed to me he had decent conditioning, half decent fundamentals and obvious power. However when he gets knocked out in such conclusive a manner by what did not look a huge punch against a guy not noted as a huge puncher you can only worry.

However the knockout against Thompson might not hurt him too greatly, will obviously force him to work on his defence and will probably move him down the pecking order for one of the brothers so far that they may have exited by the time he is ready. If that is the case he may still be able to make an impact because if he finds himself in a division where the likes of Fury, Wilder and Chisora are scrapping over the belts there is no reason to think he cannot more than hold his own in that company. He may find himself as something of a heavyweight Khan, capable of winning titles but equally as capable of losing them.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

David Price - Still have the World at his feet ??? Empty Re: David Price - Still have the World at his feet ???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:30 pm

You're right to be conflicted Rowley.....It was a shocker !!

He is technically very good and has more chance of making opponents eat a jab whilst he sets them up for a right....

He's Bruno-ish in an age where Bruno would be top quality !!!..........

He isn't that great but post-Klit he may be enough..

cheers for the post..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:37 pm

Makes you laugh doesn’t it Truss. As men of our age both know only too well Bruno was something of a figure of ridicule in our youth. Could you imagine him in with Fury, would not give Fury the proverbial snowball in hells chance.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:38 pm

Too true Rowley...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:39 pm

I can see where you are coming from, Truss, but I reckon Wlad will be around for the next three years at least, fighting probably three times a year. If we are both right, then he may have to prove himself against Wlad anyway. Then it is just a question of how much Price has learnt from being knocked out. Good luck to the lad, but he is lucky to get an immediate crack at Thompson again. Let's hope that he grasps this chance with two gloves and proves that he is world class.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:39 pm

A china chin in the heavyweight division is a MAJOR disadvantage for him. He will have to commit himself to forming a style that focuses on defense first like Wlad.

Wlad is the top dog at heavy but everyone knows his weakness. However his opponents have to work out the enigma that is his defense. Can Price do the same?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:43 pm

bhb001 wrote:I can see where you are coming from, Truss, but I reckon Wlad will be around for the next three years at least, fighting probably three times a year. If we are both right, then he may have to prove himself against Wlad anyway. Then it is just a question of how much Price has learnt from being knocked out. Good luck to the lad, but he is lucky to get an immediate crack at Thompson again. Let's hope that he grasps this chance with two gloves and proves that he is world class.

But how good will Wlad be in three years and Price is taller and just as big..........and just as technically efficient...Wlad now for sure but in three years.

Onetwo still not sure about his chin...apparently he had a burst eardrum last time out.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:55 pm

It is a good point, Truss, but he hasn't shown any signs of rust yet. His brother is noticeably slower, but there does seem to still be life in the youngster yet!! Only time will tell, I guess, but it can only be to Price's advantage should he get through this test.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Jun 2013, 5:18 pm

The Thompson rematch will tell us whether or not the first fight was just a horrible day at the office and he gets his career back on track or if Price will be another Michael Grant, Dominic Guinn, Joe Messi (Lionel Messi has more chance of winning the HW title than that clown) and numerous other HW's that people (many on this forum) seem to hitch their wagon to as quickly as Katie Price walks down the aisle.

World at his feet? Not so sure about that, I don't think that even a convincing win over Thompson will silence the naysayers.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 5:19 pm

It's a moot point for some but in three years he'll be 40 and I can't believe by then he won't have regressed...

History and the nature of the human body say's it will be so...Joe.

But will he have regressed enough......and will he fight Price earlier or at all..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 6:58 pm

If he can do a Wlad, then maybe yes (or close).  However I don't think a) he can; and b) he'd be at Wlad's level if he did.

But he should still have enough in him to make a couple of million, especially if he improves his marketability. If that's the route he goes he could be cannon fodder for Joshua in 3-4 yrs time.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 18 Jun 2013, 7:09 pm

I have a feeling he'll meet Chisora and Chisora will end up the HW champ. I'll save this post.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 18 Jun 2013, 7:52 pm

Can't say I see Price as good technically.  He's fairly robotic and nothing too exciting about his footwork. He has a big right hand and a stiff left jab.  Talent wise on a similar level to Fury for me.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 8:40 pm

Wladimir Klitchsko has excellent footwork, a factor that I severely underestimated when I claimed that Haye would knock him out. Every time Haye leaped in, Klitchsko's footwork got him out of range.

Price isn't anywhere near as good in that department in my opinion. I have seen Price dropped in a professional fight before as well. I really like Price and I really hope he wins, but I think its going to go a similar way.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 18 Jun 2013, 8:45 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZIjF58Nc1I

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:38 pm

Great expression 'world at your feet'. Basically anyone standing up has the world at their feet. Price, has the world at his back.

On a less az centric note. I was concerned about price's durability, and stiff 'European style' back in his amateur days. I had been impressed by his offensive work as a pro but ultimately, unless he can do a klitschko and protect his frailties it's going to be a struggle for him. Seems a nice guy, hope I'm wrong.

Certainly the defeat in principle could have been a potential blessing, as it could have taken him out of the limelight whilst they worked on him... However, in taking Thompson on again, It doesn't look like that's the plan. History could repeat itself.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:51 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZIjF58Nc1I

Nice!!
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 10:27 pm

If he has a chin THAT weak, then why was he not wobbled when Skelton planted a couple on him?.. I don't think he has a great chin but I think making out he has a china chin is a little premature.   I think he has good power and used it with good skill and not slugging.  I think more than his chin, maybe he has shown a few defensive flaws...

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 11:36 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Wladimir Klitchsko has excellent footwork, a factor that I severely underestimated when I claimed that Haye would knock him out. Every time Haye leaped in, Klitchsko's footwork got him out of range.

Price isn't anywhere near as good in that department in my opinion. I have seen Price dropped in a professional fight before as well. I really like Price and I really hope he wins, but I think its going to go a similar way.

When, exactly?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 18 Jun 2013, 11:49 pm

tunes666 wrote:If he has a chin THAT weak, then why was he not wobbled when Skelton planted a couple on him?.. I don't think he has a great chin but I think making out he has a china chin is a little premature.   I think he has good power and used it with good skill and not slugging.  I think more than his chin, maybe he has shown a few defensive flaws...

Well Khan almost got his head took off by Maidana in the 10th round of their fight and didn't go down whereas he was heavily put down by an old has-been lightweight in Julio Diaz.

I think that any future opponent Price faces will go for the same spot that Thompson landed on as his eardrum mustn't be the strongest if it preforated so easily by such a light(ish) punch. His chin may be able to withstand a decent punch but will his ears be able to withstand heavy shots in the future, I dont think so.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 18 Jun 2013, 11:53 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:Wladimir Klitchsko has excellent footwork, a factor that I severely underestimated when I claimed that Haye would knock him out. Every time Haye leaped in, Klitchsko's footwork got him out of range.

When, exactly?

Did he not get put down in his first pro fight. I am nearly sure I remember hearing that. Didnt see it myself
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Wed 19 Jun 2013, 12:52 am

He was wobbled by a shot after the bell but not put down. However he was put down by something like 6 or 7 different fighters in the Amateurs, considering he was even then fully grown and filled out that's pretty worrying. For all they say about Wlad's chin apparently he was never downs in the AM's in over 100 fights.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 19 Jun 2013, 1:17 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
tunes666 wrote:If he has a chin THAT weak, then why was he not wobbled when Skelton planted a couple on him?.. I don't think he has a great chin but I think making out he has a china chin is a little premature.   I think he has good power and used it with good skill and not slugging.  I think more than his chin, maybe he has shown a few defensive flaws...

Well Khan almost got his head took off by Maidana in the 10th round of their fight and didn't go down whereas he was heavily put down by an old has-been lightweight in Julio Diaz.

I think that any future opponent Price faces will go for the same spot that Thompson landed on as his eardrum mustn't be the strongest if it preforated so easily by such a light(ish) punch. His chin may be able to withstand a decent punch but will his ears be able to withstand heavy shots in the future, I dont think so.

Looks like glass eardrums alright, major flaw for any fighter.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 19 Jun 2013, 8:48 am

... amir khan is necky, price is eary.

It's all the rage... no-one goes down to a chin shot these days, it's so passé dahlings.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 19 Jun 2013, 8:55 am

Going down to a chin shot is so mainstream.

David Price and Amir are boxing hipsters

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 19 Jun 2013, 9:09 am

And let's not forget Darren barker against martinez. Going down to a rabbit punch, and rolling on the floor like christiano ronaldo.

Pushing the boundaries of the sport Adam. Britain leading the way again.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 19 Jun 2013, 9:11 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

When, exactly?

Did he not get put down in his first pro fight. I am nearly sure I remember hearing that. Didnt see it myself

No. You've been smoking Az's pipe too much.

He was jelly-legged by a sucker punch when he turned his back after the ref called stop boxing. Didn't go down, but did wobble.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Wed 19 Jun 2013, 12:10 pm

Totally and utterly agree with Trussman.

Price would either thoroughly outbox or ko Tyson

Too green for David Haye just yet, but I think he could have Wilder.

Of course, people will look at the Thompson loss and say he's chinny. Price said his eardrum was busted and his balance went. Perfectly plausable and very annoying for him.

If he wins the re match either by landslide points ( he was outboxing Johnson when he got caught ) or by KO, then all that Trussman is saying is 100% bang on.

If struggles and gets a split decision the jury will be out.

Won't bother to comment on a loss.

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Wed 19 Jun 2013, 12:30 pm

He should beat Thompson, and would need a stoppage by mid-late rounds to impress.  If he doesn't win it's hard to see where he goes.  A burst eardrum can stop anyone and it's a bit early to say he is chinny yet.  He has pretty complete boxing skills and a strong punch, I'd expect Thompson to test his chin a few times though, so we will probably have some sort of answer to his chin question after this one. 

Price is much better than Tyson Fury for me I have to say.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 19 Jun 2013, 12:35 pm

armchairwarrior wrote:Totally and utterly agree with Trussman.

Of course, people will look at the Thompson loss and say he's chinny. Price said his eardrum was busted and his balance went. Perfectly plausable and very annoying for him.

If he wins the re match either by landslide points ( he was outboxing Johnson when he got caught ) or by KO, then all that Trussman is saying is 100% bang on.

I really hope you are right, but I don't see him winning Sad

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Wed 19 Jun 2013, 12:40 pm

I agree Blakk Mamba, Price looks the part, is understated and professional. 

Sadly boxing is suffering the x factor effect - reality TV style marketing. 15 - 20 years ago, a David Haye and a Tyson Fury might fight each other, but not as the biggest fight the UK has seen.

How have we got to the point where an okish heavyweight fights a former double cruiserweight and heavyweight champ who is prob no 3 in the world and it is a HUGE EVENT!!!

Would you put on a special tennis match of Andy Murray v q good but charismatic british guy for millions of pounds? What is the outcome likely to be? Is it worth PPV

Tennis and other sports have to be about "the sport" and in they are pure in that sense. 

This is reality Tv stuff, marketing dream. The gypsy angle will be done to death in the build up. By the time the fight takes place, most people will probably see it as an almost even match.

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Wed 19 Jun 2013, 12:42 pm

Boxing fan 88 - why not? He won the first round, was winning the second. He got caught...

If he had been losing, or it was very close, I might agree....

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Wed 19 Jun 2013, 12:54 pm

armchair - agreed sometimes there is just too much pantomime.  I appreciate that some fighters need to gee themselves up for a fight by calling the other guy garbage, but Tyson lambasts guys in other weight divisions like Carl Froch, Darren Barker and Amir Khan whom he will never fight - for me that is just unprofessional as the sport is hard enough as it is, and it's that that has made me dislike his character.  I can take it with a pinch of salt when it's a guy in your weight division you're hoping to fight, but this is just yobbish behaviour.

Unfortunately given the lack of quality heavies around, Tyson (whom I agree with you is no better than okish) is ranked top 5 by some organisations - which makes the Haye - Fury bout a fight between two top 5 heavies - hence a 'big' fight.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidBlunkettsuppercut Wed 19 Jun 2013, 1:45 pm

armchairwarrior wrote:Totally and utterly agree with Trussman.

Yes You do have a point Truss
DavidBlunkettsuppercut
DavidBlunkettsuppercut

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 19 Jun 2013, 2:24 pm

I see I'm not the only one who sees a future for Mr Price..........

Has the tools can he avoid the bombs..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Wed 19 Jun 2013, 2:49 pm

Truss - he's a good fighter, he has the amateur background giving him a well schooled style, he has power, and he handles himself professionally - crucially he has the size, he is too big to get manhandled. 

I'd like to see him do well.  As I say, think it's too early at this point to say he hasn't got the chin.  Time will tell, and this second bout against Thompson will be a real litmus test for him.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Jun 2013, 2:53 pm

crucially he has the size, he is too big to get manhandled.

He doesn't fight to his size though (if that makes sense). There was footage of him working with Lewis and on the occaisions that Lewis moved in close, Price seemed to shrink into himself. Perhaps he was intimidated by Lewis but if he's going to make it, he needs to have a bit more confidence in himself and not be overawed by reputations

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 19 Jun 2013, 3:16 pm

Great perspective Truss, something I agree with. Feel he was unlucky against Thompson, it really did seem like a bit of a freak shot that downed him.

Think you're right in saying its worked out well in terms of timing - if he'd have beaten Johnson, maybe he'd have been under too much pressure to seek out a Klitschko too early and would have been beaten handily in his current form, by Haye too.

Think that the Fury train will come off the rails if he faces Haye, as he has too much for Fury and Price right now. In a couple of years however, its likely that Price has had enough fights to fix the holes we've seen and learn to fight more to his strengths rather than to cover up his weaknesses.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 19 Jun 2013, 3:41 pm

Said it before life is about timing......If I hadn't of gone to a party in 87 you guys probably wouldn't have had the pleasure of my company..........

Brings a tear to your eyes I know..

Haye-Fury I reckon will be sealed.........Consensus suggests Fury gets ko'd.........Which leaves a motivation-less Haye.........who is knocking on..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 19 Jun 2013, 3:44 pm

I think a Haye win propels him to within touching distance of Vitali, who can't ignore him and does want to fight him, he'll have beaten an ex Klit opponent convincingly and beaten a well ranked opponent. I think i heard Wlad in an interview say that he'd face Haye again if he got himself in contention with a couple of good wins, which is exactly what these will be (Fury ranked  higher than talent suggests and a game, fit Chisora)

Think he'll face Vitali next year and retire him, and then face Wlad and lose and call it a day. Wlad then holds every single belt in the HW division.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 19 Jun 2013, 3:52 pm

Don't see Haye-Vitali..........Haye seems himself as a superfighter. What he'll get offered will be regarded as an insult by him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Jun 2013, 3:53 pm

Yup, agree with Jabby. A Haye wins pretty much secures him a shot against the K's and, given they've said they will fight him as long as Haye earns it, whatever your opinion of Tyson as the ideal warm up opponent, Haye will not be lacking motivation after Fury.

Should the K's duck him and he's forced to fight Price, I think the anger he'll have at being messed about will end up with him taking out that anger on Price.

If timing is everything, Price better hope he's got to wait in for the gas man that day.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 19 Jun 2013, 3:54 pm

I think Fury is a good opponent........A top 10 guy who is undefeated....

However the percentage won't please Haye for a Vitali fight...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Jun 2013, 3:56 pm

Don't see Haye-Vitali..........Haye seems himself as a superfighter. What he'll get offered will be regarded as an insult by him..

Haye also knows that Vitali, age be damned, is the jewel in the crown. Widely acknowledged (even by his own brother) as the better of the two, I think Haye will take the opportunity to face Vitali.

Should Haye win, he will look to make his money facing Wlad again in THE unification fight

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 19 Jun 2013, 3:56 pm

I think Haye will have to put his ego aside to win the title from Vitali, think he'll agree much less favorable terms for a fight he thinks he'll win over a fight with Wlad where he'll be happy to price himself out of it currently.

Agree with Fury being a good opponent on paper Truss, but if we look at his talent....well....

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Wed 19 Jun 2013, 3:57 pm

if I were Haye I'd gamble - he's made plenty of cash and will make a bundle for bashing Fury.  Take the pay cut against Vitali knowing that if you beat if you will probably get near 50/50 with Wlad as he will be desperate to avenge his brother - and that will be a bigger purse as literally everyone would want to see it.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 19 Jun 2013, 3:58 pm

DAVE667 wrote:

Haye also knows that Vitali, age be damned, is the jewel in the crown. Widely acknowledged (even by his own brother) as the better of the two, I think Haye will take the opportunity to face Vitali.

Should Haye win, he will look to make his money facing Wlad again in THE unification fight

With all due respect (which isn't much Cool )........His brother is going to say that isn't he..

Everybody else widely acknowledges Wlad is the best...You're becoming a fanboy of Haye me thinks..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Jun 2013, 3:59 pm

BlakkMamba wrote:if I were Haye I'd gamble - he's made plenty of cash and will make a bundle for bashing Fury.  Take the pay cut against Vitali knowing that if you beat if you will probably get near 50/50 with Wlad as he will be desperate to avenge his brother - and that will be a bigger purse as literally everyone would want to see it.

Great minds think alike

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 19 Jun 2013, 4:04 pm

Blakkmamba hasn't got Haye's ego........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next