The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tonights Fight Thread.

+54
88Chris05
Diggers
tommyhearnsprodigalson
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
bhb001
KC
KingMonkey
Mayweathers cellmate
J.Benson II
two_tone
Bellz84
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
spencerclarke
compelling and rich
Mr Bounce
LivinginItaly
Basset
trenchtownbaboon
Sugar Boy Sweetie
manos de piedra
TheMackemMawler
RanjitPatel
Coola
Dr Gregory House MD
Lumbering_Jack
OasisBFC
Steffan
Pedro147
kingraf
milkyboy
Seanusarrilius
Happytravelling
The Beast
Cast a Shadow
tunes666
TopHat24/7
ONETWOFOREVER
rob-glos
JabMachineMK2
seanmichaels
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
EdWoodjr
djlovesyou
John Bloody Wayne
Strongback
Captain Charisma
BoomBoomBaby
winchester
eddyfightfan
azania
ShahenshahG
jimdig
BallchinianMuffwig
hampo17
58 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Tonights Fight Thread. - Page 4 Empty Tonights Fight Thread.

Post by hampo17 Sat 06 Jul 2013, 8:29 am

First topic message reminder :

Redemption is here. David Price has the chance to gain revenge over Tony Thompson, and I have gone on record during this weeks podcast, saying Thompson will win again.

We also have Prizefighter: The Light Welterweights. Kevin Mitchell will also be appearing on the bill.

If you want to get invovled on Twitter as well as here then follow @v2boxing.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Tonights Fight Thread. - Page 4 Empty Re: Tonights Fight Thread.

Post by azania Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:20 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:To be honest Price can't box in the pros. His footwork is terrible and don't get me started on his balance. His jab is just stupid at one point it looked like all he wanted to do was paw his jab and hold thompsons hand.

A guy that big should have a ram rod jab. With an effective jab you can control fights, tempo, distance, and defend as well as attack. Where is Prices jab?

Just looking for that big right hand, Haye is the same. Maybe British boxing is to blame here.

Well said

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:22 am

John Bloody Wayne wrote:laughing 
How are you not banned?

I have zero idea. I'll enjoy it while I last. Hope you guys can endure me for a while longer.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:24 am

where does price go now? retirement beckons i think.

he showed a bad chin in the first fight, and a lack of determination in this one, he could have continued but he just didn't want it. he was waiting to be KO'd.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Coola Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:24 am

They will build Price up again with a few easy fights and there's no doubt the mugs from Liverpool will come out to watch again.

Look out for Price Vs Audley 2 at the Echo Arena! lol

Coola

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:28 am

A few low key fights to rebuild his confidence and then cadh in on him. He has that equaliser in his right.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:29 am

the thing is he was beat the domestic lot convincingly and nobody would be interested in those type of fights, the euro champ is pulev who would destroy him and nobody will give him the time of day at world level, so i don't see where he goes, its not like he is offering shed loads of money to come to liverpool, and the big problem is price's confidence after losing by KO twice. shame, but i don't see anything significant from price in the future.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:34 am

eddyfightfan wrote:where does price go now? retirement beckons i think.

he showed a bad chin in the first fight, and a lack of determination in this one, he could have continued but he just didn't want it. he was waiting to be KO'd.
I don't think that was the case at all. If he wanted to he could have taken a Knee but he was trying to hold and smother Thompson for a rest but Thompson was very smart in not allowing him. You could clearly see Price was gassed, and when you are in a ring being hit and your arms are heavy and you have not gas left there really is not much you can do apart from hope the other guy starts to tire as well or wait for the ring to go... I find the hard punchers often gas quickly as the power does not come from nowhere... this was even the case with Tyson who I felt also used to gas out towards the later rounds..

Last edited by tunes666 on Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:36 am; edited 2 times in total

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:34 am

I hope some of you took my tip at 33/1 round 5. Sorry to the Price fans, it really is shocking how bad he is when he comes up against a top 20 contender

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:39 am

He hasn't cleaned up the domestic scene. It now seems a grwst decision from maloney to duck fury when the fight could have happened. Instead he waited until it was impossible to make.

He hasn't lost to chisora yet either.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:40 am

Superheavyweight is the weakest division in amateur boxing. Bronze medalists don't win world titles. haha. Idiots.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:42 am

I dont believe Price was poorly conditioned through lack of effort in training camp. Hes not a slob that comes in over weight so you can tell he looks after his conditioning. Hes a huge guy so conditioning is always likely to be an issue if he doesnt pace himself. I think he was extremelly nervous and it burned up alot of his energy. He also doesnt many rounds or experience under his belt. But I dont think it was a case of him not working hard in camp.

I question the benefit of bringing in someone like Lewis for a fight like this. As Thompson said post fight, you cant change a fighter in one camp and for a fight of this magnitude it was going to be risky trying to make big changes. You also have the awkwardness of having two different coaches.

In raw physicality and power Price still has potential. I think its safe to say he wont be a quality world champion but in a post Klitschko era I still wouldnt write him off at least being able to contest for a world title if he can re-goup. However I think the loss will crush him mentally and Im not sure he has the grit to put aside the demons. It was a big gamble that backfired.

I think his chin is also still an issue. Thompson wasnt catching him with huge shots. They were mainly arm punches and still hurt him on occasion so I do think hes vunerable there.

Rebuilding his confidence will be the biggest challenge but even after that he still needs alot surgery. Basically hes a big powerful guy and has got along on that at domestic level but he has alot of work needed to make the next step up in level.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:46 am

I just want to say 88% of you haven't got a clue. You's have never fought and your opinion don't mean sh!t.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:49 am

TheMackemMawler wrote:I just  want to say 88% of you haven't got a clue. You's have never fought and your opinion don't mean sh!t.

I once got into a right scrap with a gypsy at the local travelling fair back in 1995 and came out with a draw. Do I belong to the 12%?

Az was/is right. Price is pants.

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:54 am

For all those who think Fury is the only Heavyweight Briton has, Peter Fury him self has said on Twitter he would be able to fix Price and that he does not think Price is finished.

PF - "As I said Price can come again it's not the end. But everything's 100% wrong."...

PF - "it's simple and fixable. It's a small thing but unless seen this happens"

Follower - "Hi Peter,do you think that's end of pricey"
PF - "no sir"

PF "put it this way he would of beat Thompson easy in our camp."

Follower - "would u take him under ur wing??"
PF - "he's a nice kid that's their call."

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:55 am

Most boxing fans are like fat cockney tottenham fans - they can't even throw a ball straight, never mind play a sport. Fakes.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:56 am

Everything's 100% wrong yet it's simple and fixable.

Good luck with that then.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:58 am

Thankfully I'm an Arsenal fan:D 

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 07 Jul 2013, 1:19 am

Nah, honestly. If you've (anyone) have never had a fight in anger, then why be here.

I like watching tennis but I've never played, so I wouldn't comment on a forum - same with cricket.

Personally i think those who've never fought have no right to watch the game, never mind discuss it.

what do you know? Nothing
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Jul 2013, 1:22 am

TheMackemMawler wrote:Nah, honestly. If you've (anyone) have never had a fight in anger, then why be here.

I like watching tennis but I've never played so I wouldn't comment on a forum, same with cricket. Personally i think those who've never fought have no right to watch the game, never mind discuss it.

Poppycock!

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 07 Jul 2013, 1:24 am

SUCK ME CHEB YA SILLY SCOUSE LADY. WHAT DO YOU KNOW?
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 07 Jul 2013, 1:57 am

TheMackemMawler wrote:Nah, honestly. If you've (anyone) have never had a fight in anger, then why be here.

I like watching tennis but I've never played, so I wouldn't comment on a forum -  same with cricket.

Personally i think those who've never fought have no right to watch the game, never mind discuss it.

Absolute rubbish

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Jul 2013, 2:08 am

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:

I like watching tennis but I've never played, so I wouldn't comment on a forum -  same with cricket.

Absolute rubbish

Forum World would be an empty place if Mackem made the rules.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Sun 07 Jul 2013, 7:14 am

Presumably you've fought? Given the fact that no one has heard of you, you were probably crap and therefore arguably less qualified to talk about it on a forum than someone like me who still has a '0' Whistle 

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 07 Jul 2013, 7:33 am

TheMackemMawler wrote:I just  want to say 88% of you haven't got a clue. You's have never fought and your opinion don't mean sh!t.

My opinion is valid and if you want to spar with me to confirm it then great. Personally your argument is quite silly really. Jose Mouriniho never played football yet is 1 of the top coaches in world football.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 07 Jul 2013, 7:59 am

And the 12% who have fought are all punch drunk. We are 100% clueless as a forum.

... As anyone whose read a debate between truss and az could testify to;)

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sun 07 Jul 2013, 8:37 am

Didn't Mackem Mawler win the boards 'best newcomer' at last years end of year awards?

Looks like he is well on course for 'biggest prize tw*t' at this years awards now.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by trenchtownbaboon Sun 07 Jul 2013, 8:40 am

TheMackemMawler wrote:SUCK ME CHEB YA SILLY SCOUSE LADY. WHAT DO YOU KNOW?

Laugh 
trenchtownbaboon
trenchtownbaboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sun 07 Jul 2013, 8:48 am

With regard to the fight, what a disappointment for Price. Across two fights he has shown neither the chin or the engine to get past a has been like Thompson, and make no mistake TT was selected because he had half a name but was expected to roll over. Price has relied on size & power, but his all round game has been exposed. His career isn't finished but there's no way he's headed for big money showdowns with the likes of Wlad, Haye etc after this, hence Maloneys tears.

Personally I don't mind Fury, but anyone pointing to this as some sort of reflected victory for him is wrong. His career best win remains a morbidly obese Chisora. I suspect if he fights Haye he won't be able to handle the speed & will be hugely vulnerable to Hayes big right, can't see past a Haye victory there, especially given the struggle Fury had with with Cunningham. If Fury loses to Haye whilst Price gets a few noddy wins under his belt, we may get to see Price Fury afterall.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Basset Sun 07 Jul 2013, 9:09 am

Has anybody got a link to the fight? Can't seem to find it on YouTube. Thanks

Basset

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 07 Jul 2013, 9:14 am

Thing is Fury fought Johnson and played it sensible and safe and won at canter - it shows that he has the ability to at least assess his opponent, - to go twelve rounds etc etc. I dont think Fury would fight Thompson like he fought cunningham - more like how he fought Johnson

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Sun 07 Jul 2013, 9:27 am

Maybe fury is regretting not fighting price before. On the evidence of last night fury would best price quite comfortably. A missed opportunity to make some money.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 07 Jul 2013, 9:36 am

I said before this fight that it was an absolute "Must Win" for Price or he has nowhere to go as a pro. Having a sledgehammer right hand is simply not enough at this level. Once you get someone who is accomplished enough to get past Price's size and that big right, he's a nothing fighter.

I am guilty of championing Price in the past but I didn't look past the power or the level of opposition. Despite him amassing a 15-0 ledger with 13 early KOs, the level of opposition was pretty poor. His last three opponents had a combined age of about 130. Yes Thompson was included in that, but he's a savvy old bar steward whose only defeats came in his fifth fight on points or against Wladimir Klitschko. Nothing to be too ashamed of.

Price has proved here that he simply does not have it at any level above domestic. Stamina issues, balance issues, footwork is non existent and he can't jab effectively for someone who's 6ft 8. If he was anywhere near the class he'd been hyped to be, Thompson would have hardly laid a glove on him. This was not the case, because he really isn't that good.

Size in this case, most definitely is not everything.

Sadly for the British heavyweight division on the world scene this is now laid at Haye's & Fury's doors. There's nobody else remotely close. Sadly one is a mouthy so & so with scarcely enough talent to back it up and no chin either & the other is a money-chasing loudmouth with a fair amount of talent and a hard punch who always talks a good fight but doesn't always deliver.

The future's bright, peeps...

Last edited by Mr Bounce on Sun 07 Jul 2013, 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Can't spell...)

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 07 Jul 2013, 9:47 am

Spot on Bouncy

For a man of Prices size it is unforgivable that he does not own a ram rod jab to dictate action. His jab last night was terrible. Had he been taught to use his jab as Wlad does I believe he would have beaten Thompson. Price is also a plodder when coming forward. He is not a fat overweight heavy and was bouncing a bit on his toes in there.

I like Price he is a nice guy but if he is to carry on he needs to drop the nice guy act and get a little mean.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 07 Jul 2013, 10:18 am

Can I just say, before Reeborn says he was first Wink I called this outcome on this weeks podcast. First prediction I've gotten right Yahoo 

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun 07 Jul 2013, 10:34 am

seems like mackem had one too many last night

gazza was a much better footballer than me, but quiz us about football and i bet id beat him

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 07 Jul 2013, 10:49 am

maybe mackem should have a breathalyzer on his laptop to avoid things like this! laughing 

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Sun 07 Jul 2013, 10:50 am

Its a disgrace that a 41 year old fat man had better cardio than Price.

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 07 Jul 2013, 10:54 am

Rowley has better cardio than price?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Sun 07 Jul 2013, 10:55 am

Ha

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 07 Jul 2013, 10:56 am

Price isn't the fighter many hoped he would be. But neither is he a chinless wonder. I hope he can come back from this massive set back but it doesn't look likely.

He might as well carry on and make a few quid though as he hasn't been taking health threatening blows. Chisora wouldn't be a bad call after a confidence building fight.

I do think it's imperative he gets a decent corner team though.

All those claiming they have made a brilliant prediction maybe want to back and see what they wrote though. Most thought if he were to lose he would be flat on his back. Basically we were all wrong. I was worried for him in this rematch but never did I think he would just run out of fight.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 07 Jul 2013, 11:20 am

This worrying thing from Prices perspective was that there were so few positives to take Even in the first fight, he looked like he was in more control and then got caught. This fight, it was really difficult to see what kind of plan he was trying to implement. From what I gathered the plan was to essentially box like Lewis behind a jab and using fundementals. But he didnt look capable of this and his fundementals looked poor. I didnt know what he was trying to do in there. I honestly think a large part of this was down to the pressure he was under and the nervousness. This was built up as a fight that could end his career if he lost and for someone in his position with so little experience it was an enormous amount of pressure to be under. It was like an Audley performance where he just doesnt turn up in the ring mentally. I dont think Price had recovered his confidence at all from the first defeat. Price just didnt show any real instinct to go along with his size. Some fighters have a natural instinct and ability to read whats in front of him and less fortunate ones need to develop it with experience. I think thats what Price needs.

I dont think he needs to pack it in. The problem was he was touted well beyond his capability and was being pushed to try and challenge a Klitschko within 20 fights. Clearly with the luxuy of hindsight he needed alot more rounds and experience. I think he could benefit from getting a new team around him and going back to the beginning. Maloney has blamed Lewis for the loss and Lewis has hinted that Price needs to change his set up. I think trying to repair his confidence is the first thing and he may be better off making some changes behind the scene and going back to the beginning.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun 07 Jul 2013, 11:26 am

he's a bit too gun ho at the moment, he needs to settle down. wlad was like this in his early career and got caught. fighting a wlad (current version) like game plan would be the ideal thing, work behind his jab and keep him at range then when they get inside tie them up and use your size to lean and wear your opponent out. it remains to be seen whether he's got the brain and basic fundamentals to back this up and at 30 unlike the younger version of wlad he doesn't have much time to make these improvements

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellz84 Sun 07 Jul 2013, 11:39 am

compelling and rich wrote:he's a bit too gun ho at the moment, he needs to settle down. wlad was like this in his early career and got caught. fighting a wlad (current version) like game plan would be the ideal thing, work behind his jab and keep him at range then when they get inside tie them up and use your size to lean and wear your opponent out. it remains to be seen whether he's got the brain and basic fundamentals to back this up and at 30 unlike the younger version of wlad he doesn't have much time to make these improvements

Agree completely c&r, Price needs to adopt a Wlad-like strategy. When Price is getting hit, it does seem to shake him and he needs to use the jab and certainly needs to tie up inside. Thompson was hitting him at will from close range, and that was just suicide from Price, he had to tie up. Perhaps shows just how good Wlad is though, in comparison with the current heavyweights - Thompson looked good against Price, but hasn't gotten anywhere near Wlad in 2 attempts.

Bellz84

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 07 Jul 2013, 11:46 am

As you say time isnt really on his side and he doesnt have appear to have anything close to Wlads natural potential so its difficult to say if he can turn himself into this Lewis/Wlad clone that people want. Sometimes I think if you try to fundementally change a fighter too much in a short space of time you wind up making things worse. With hindsight bringing Lewis in and having essentially two different trainers training him may not have been a positive at all. There was no sense of a coherent plan. I think nerves and lack of composure from Price played its part though. I think he just needs to slow his development process down, re-assess targets and focus on a more basic level.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:10 pm

yeah i agree manos, i do have my doubts of how he will come back from this mentally. the likes of tom dallas were highly tipped at one point and his first defeat (against price) ruined him and looked awful since, i know a part would have been him being simply found out but he did appear to worsen after the defeat.  

think some are being harsh on price by saying he needs to stop though, he's unfortunate really that he plys his trade in the heavies where one bad performance means you get put on your arse. some of the smaller weights classes will avoid this. with abit of improvement he can easily be around euro level and once the klits are gone the jump up to world level isnt that much further, unless of course someone makes a large improvement. would be interesting to see fury v thompson so we can get a good read of how good or bad thompson is. as wlad fight is pretty hard to judge him on

Last edited by compelling and rich on Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:13 pm

If if if if . If he could box like Wlad etc. He can't because he's not good enough. Wlad is an ATG. Price is like an unpolished turd.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:22 pm

I think what he needs first is experience and a few hundred rounds of sparring at full tilt against fresh durable opponents who can hit a little. He also needs to move to Warren. Warren gets ordinary fighters very far and only holds back the better talent. He'll build him up slowly but surely and eventually price may realise his full potential and if he doesnt - he'll be financially stable. Maloney I think needs to retire - if his hopes rest on price then he's had it and his health is going to suffer more outside the ring than price's would inside.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:40 pm

I thought watching Maloney last night was cringeworthy until I just read Mackem's posts...

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:46 pm

Mackem and drinking don't go well together. Try Khat dear friend before it gets banned

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:57 pm

I think the loss will be tougher to take because Price gave no indication he wanted to continue. He will be harder on himself because he will feel he quit.

It's important that an athlete goes to the end from what I've seen. Not finishing a race can have a devastating effective on an athlete psychologically, I'm thinking Sonia O'Suillivan and Paula Radcliffe not finishing races and finding it hard to come back from that mentally.

I've no problem with the stoppage as Price was not defending himself intelligently and was not throwing anything back. If anything the ref gave Price too much of an opportunity to continue. The ref put the decision in the Price's hands. Price didn't want to be in that position, he wanted the ref to take him out.

The way the fight ended was almost worse than if Price had been KO'd.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next