The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Many Countries Have You seen In Test Rugby?

+51
blackcanelion
Shifty
Taylorman
GunsGerms
Metal Tiger
funnyExiledScot
asoreleftshoulder
EWT Spoons
BigWilly
bsando
Looseheaded
Gibson
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
Jenifer McLadyboy
Swperb
disneychilly
tomhughesnice
the-goon
Geordie
offload
tigertattie
Dubbelyew L Overate
Pete330v2
debaters1
SecretFly
Cyril
LordDowlais
BristolDave
beshocked
Scrumpy
Notch
Thomond
captain carrantuohil
fa0019
Mickado
thomh
Breadvan
LondonTiger
bedfordwelsh
GLove39
dallym
PenfroPete
doctor_grey
kiakahaaotearoa
mckay1402
The Saint
Glas a du
aucklandlaurie
hjumpshoe
ScarletSpiderman
Biltong
55 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

How Many Countries Have You seen In Test Rugby? Empty How Many Countries Have You seen In Test Rugby?

Post by Notch Mon 15 Jul 2013, 9:55 pm

Just having a think about this earlier- the number of teams I've seen in Test Rugby. Thought I would publish my list and people could publish theirs and we could have a bit of a competition to see whose is longest. If you saw them once or a hundred times, it doesn't make a difference. All must be countries who appear on the IRB Rankings, with the exception of the British and Irish Lions. Sound fair? Every country is worth one point, if you saw a country (or the Lions) in a midweek match or an A international thats worth half a point. But you can't count the same country twice. i.e. if you saw the All Blacks beat Munster and Ireland thats still just 1 point.

Ok? Ok.

This is just meant to be a bit of fun but I'll be updating a league table. NO LYING!

Table

PenfroPete, 21 points (20 countries + the Lions)
GunsGerms, 19 points (18 countries + Pacific Islanders)
tigertattie, 19 points (19 countries)
EWT Spoons, 19 points (19 countries)
LordDowlias, 19 points (17 countries + the Lions + the Pacific Islanders)
LondonTiger, 17.5 points (17 countries + the Lions)
hjumpshoe, 17 points (16 countries + the Lions)
BigWilly, 17 points (16 countries + the Lions)
Swperb, 16.5 points (17 countries)
offload, 16 points (16 countries)
doctor-grey, 16 points (15 countries + the Lions)
bedfordwelsh, 16 points (15 countries + the Lions)
BristolDave, 16 points (15 countries + the Lions)
GLove39, 16 points (16 countries + Pacific Islanders)
debaters1, 16 points (15 countries + Pacific Islanders)
the goon, 15 points (15 countries)
Notch, 14 points (15 countries)
thomh, 14 points (14 countries)
Glas a Du, 14 points (14 countries)
Jenifer McLadyboy, 14 points (14 countries)
Pete330v2, 13 points (13 countries)
dailym, 12 points (12 countries)
beshocked, 13 points (12 countries + Lions)
Risca Rev, 12 points (12 countries)
The Saint, 11 points (10 countries + the Lions)
captain carrantuohil, 11 points (11 countries)
kiakahaaotearoa, 10 points (10 countries)
Gibson, 10 points (10 countries)
Mickado, 10 points (10 countries)
fa0019, 10 points (9 countries + the Lions)
tomhughesnice, 9 points (9 countries)
bsando, 8 points (8 countries)
MetalTiger, 8 points (8 countries)
Shifty, 7 points (8 countries)
ScarletsSpiderman, 7 points (7 countries)
mckay1402, 7 points (6 countries + the Pacific Islanders)
Breadvan, 6.5 points (7 countries)
Biltong, 5 points (5 countries)
asoreleftshoulder, 4 points (4 countries)
Looseheaded, 3 points (3 countries)
Geordie Falcon, 1.5 points (2 A games and a club vs country)
Thomond, 1.5 points (3 club vs country)

Last edited by Notch on Sat 20 Jul 2013, 10:28 am; edited 38 times in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

How Many Countries Have You seen In Test Rugby? Empty Re: How Many Countries Have You seen In Test Rugby?

Post by Notch Mon 15 Jul 2013, 9:56 pm

Here's my list;

Six Nations
Ireland, England, Wales, France, Italy, Scotland- 6 points

Rugby Championship
New Zealand, Argentina, South Africa, Australia- 4 points

Others
Samoa, Fiji, Tonga*, Romania, Portugal*- 4 points

Total= 14 points

*Portugal I saw in a friendly at Ravenhill against Ulster so NOT a test match. Tonga I also saw at Ravenhill. Their full touring squad played Irish Wolfhounds at Ravenhill. Although Tonga treated it like a test match, it's still a half point.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

How Many Countries Have You seen In Test Rugby? Empty Re: How Many Countries Have You seen In Test Rugby?

Post by Biltong Mon 15 Jul 2013, 10:10 pm

Are we talking live or on tv?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 15 Jul 2013, 10:17 pm

Japan (rwc 99), Argetina v Samoa (rwc 99), Tonga, New Zealand, Baabaas (x3), Ireland (6Ns). That will prob be the lowest score on here.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 15 Jul 2013, 10:34 pm

Biltong wrote:Are we talking live or on tv?

Live of course! Heh I should specify it.

Scarlets- you've never seen Wales?! Sorry I'm not sure whether or not to count the Baa-Baas... on the one hand, they mainly play test teams. On the other hand they are officially a rugby club. And on the mutant third hand they don't normally participate in capped games.

As a compromise I will count the side you saw them against. So England vs BaaBaas counts as seeing England, seems like common sense.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by hjumpshoe Mon 15 Jul 2013, 10:39 pm

6nations-all 6pts
4nations-all against Wales 4pts
Japan, Canada, USA, Romania, Samoa Fiji-all against Wales 6pts
Lions-against Argentina 1/2pt?
Baabaa's-against Wales 1/2pt?

I make that 17-18 points depending on the status of the Lions and Baabaa's matches. Quite surprised its that high actually and doing this brought back many good memories. Nice idea Notch, good thread!clap 

hjumpshoe

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 15 Jul 2013, 10:39 pm

Oops I assumed that was a given. Rwc 99 I managed two games in two days, Wales v Japan (sat) and Argentina v Samoa (sun).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 15 Jul 2013, 10:40 pm

If I answer this truthfully it makes me look very old.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 15 Jul 2013, 10:45 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:

laughing  Its that bit below your user name that makes you look very old, so you may as well fess up to the question.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 15 Jul 2013, 10:45 pm

hjumpshoe wrote:6nations-all 6pts

I make that 17-18 points depending on the status of the Lions and Baabaa's matches. Quite surprised its that high actually and doing this brought back many good memories. Nice idea Notch, good thread!clap 

Thanks hjump! Smile 

Yeah as Argentina are a test nation, I'm counting that as a full point. But I'm not counting the BaaBaas, just the teams they played against so I count that as 17 points!

Same for me, just thinking about all the tests I've been to since I was a kid. One of the first test matches I went to was Scotland vs Romania in 2002! Haven't thought about that in a looooong time.

The most disappointing test match I went to was also the most expensive and it was in Edinburgh too; RWC 2007, Scotland 0-40 New Zealand.

The Kiwi fans were booing Dan Carter for kicking penalties at goal. The Scottish players looked like they were saving it for Italy, which of course they were. And I couldn't tell the teams apart because they were both in drab kits with lots of grey (NZ were the ones that could catch the ball). At least I contented myself with knowing that I'd seen the World Champions elect... Rolling Eyes 
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 15 Jul 2013, 10:46 pm

Wales, New Zealand, Australia, Samoa
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 15 Jul 2013, 10:49 pm

Biltong wrote:Wales, New Zealand, Australia, Samoa

It's so much easier to see test matches in Europe. One very cheap flight and short journey away from every Six Nations venue and all 3N teams come through Europe every year!

Er, I'm also assuming you've seen South Africa?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 15 Jul 2013, 10:52 pm

Yeah sorry, us against all four.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 15 Jul 2013, 10:57 pm

Whilst I've seen France and the All Blacks, I haven't seen Ireland play either team so I still have two games to tick off my bucket list.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by hjumpshoe Mon 15 Jul 2013, 10:58 pm

Notch wrote:
hjumpshoe wrote:6nations-all 6pts

Thanks hjump! Smile 

Yeah as Argentina are a test nation, I'm counting that as a full point. But I'm not counting the BaaBaas, just the teams they played against so I count that as 17 points!

Same for me, just thinking about all the tests I've been to since I was a kid. One of the first test matches I went to was Scotland vs Romania in 2002! Haven't thought about that in a looooong time.

The most disappointing test match I went to was also the most expensive and it was in Edinburgh too; RWC 2007, Scotland 0-40 New Zealand.

The Kiwi fans were booing Dan Carter for kicking penalties at goal. The Scottish players looked like they were saving it for Italy, which of course they were. And I couldn't tell the teams apart because they were both in drab kits with lots of grey (NZ were the ones that could catch the ball). At least I contented myself with knowing that I'd seen the World Champions elect... Rolling Eyes 

17 will do mate! The main memory ive been reminded of is the 1st time i watched France in Cardiff. The crowd was bouncing and it got a bit tight in the standing section at the bottom of the North? stand where we were.Us kids got lifted ova the barrier and taken to watch the match in the disabled section in the corner. My favourite non welsh player at that time was Serge Blanco and when France scored a try in the corner(think it was Blanco himself), they celebrated about 2 meters in front of me and the great man was there, in front of my face. Think i was the only welsh fan who went home happy that day.Very Happy 

hjumpshoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:02 pm

hjumpshoe wrote:

17 will do mate! The main memory ive been reminded of is the 1st time i watched France in Cardiff. The crowd was bouncing and it got a bit tight in the standing section at the bottom of the North? stand where we were.Us kids got lifted ova the barrier and taken to watch the match in the disabled section in the corner. My favourite non welsh player at that time was Serge Blanco and when France scored a try in the corner(think it was Blanco himself), they celebrated about 2 meters in front of me and the great man was there, in front of my face. Think i was the only welsh fan who went home happy that day.Very Happy 

Awesome story. Thats what its all about.

Favourite performance I saw that wasn't Irish was Wales beating Scotland on the way to the Slam in 2005. First half was just phenomenal. That was a brand of rugby you couldn't help but love to watch, its not like Wales today.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:06 pm

Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:07 pm

Are you telling us how many countries you've seen or are you just counting...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by hjumpshoe Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:08 pm

[quote="Notch"

Favourite performance I saw that wasn't Irish was Wales beating Scotland on the way to the Slam in 2005. First half was just phenomenal. That was a brand of rugby you couldn't help but love to watch, its not like Wales today.[/quote]

Yeah Wales came out firing that day mate and blew the Scots away. Ryan Jones was immense if i remember right, started and finished the 1st try which set the tone for the match.

hjumpshoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:09 pm

Ryan Jones was brilliant in that gameplan, a lovely footballing 8 who is sadly wasted under Gatlands template. He may win things, but he can't half make the game very one-dimensional. Not a fan at all.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:15 pm

Wales versus Scotland, France = 3 points.
Wales versus, NZ, SA, Aus and Arg = 4 points.
Wales versus Canada, Japan, Fiji = 3 points.
Lions versus Argentina = 1 point(?)

I think my list could do with a bit of work.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by hjumpshoe Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:21 pm

Unfortunately Ryan isnt capable of that any more mate, he's a different player now, more brain and less brawn. Also i think he was playing 6 that day, may be wrong though, not that it matters. Agree to a point about Gatland's gameplan mind, but i think that's mainly because Int'l defences are so well organised in the modern game. Also, losing Shane from the set up meant that we couldn't rely on a touch of magic to score tries anymore, we needed something different. In fairness, when you've got the size in the backline that Wales have, you'd be a fool not to use it. Especially given the fact that it is very effective. But yeah, i'd love nothing more than for Wales to start playing a more exciting brand of rugby, as long as they still win!!!!

hjumpshoe

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:25 pm

Wales, usa, Romania, how do i count the Pacific Islands? England, france, Ireland
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:26 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:

Why Laurie, because you have to admit to seeing New Zealand vs Rhodesia? Whistle 

I have seen NZ play SA, France, World XV, Australia, Argentina, England, Scotland, Fiji in NZ. Couldn't tell you how many times for some of those like SA and Australia.

I have seen France play Australia and NZ vs France at Stade de France.

I have seen England vs Scotland at Murrayfield.

Ireland vs England in Dublin.

Wales vs NZ at MS.

U2 at Twickenham.

I don't know if that last one counts!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:30 pm

That last one shouldn't have been admitted.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:30 pm

mckay1402 wrote:Wales, usa, Romania, how do i count the Pacific Islands?  England, france, Ireland

Oh the Pacific Islanders touring team? I guess as one team- seems vaguely racist to count the Lions as a composite team of four nations and not the Pacific Islanders as another composite team!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:32 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Jeez Laurie, I'm surprised you are still alive at your age.
Do you have a nice trophy wife to wheel you around and pre-chew your food?

I have seen - in no particular order - all the 6 Nations teams and and all the 4 RC teams.
Also US, Canada, Georgia, Samoa, Russia
Lions, Barabarians
And the Sovreign Independent East Midlands Nation of Northampton.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:34 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Why Laurie, because you have to admit to seeing New Zealand vs Rhodesia? :whistle

I have seen NZ play SA, France, World XV, Australia, Argentina, England, Scotland, Fiji in NZ. Couldn't tell you how many times for some of those like SA and Australia.

I have seen France play Australia and NZ vs France at Stade de France.

I have seen England vs Scotland at Murrayfield.

Ireland vs England in Dublin.

Wales vs NZ at MS.

U2 at Twickenham.

I don't know if that last one counts!

Cheeky bugger!

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:34 pm

I also saw France vs Scotland in a maquis tent next to Stade de France for the last ever 5 Nations in 1999. Or was it 98? I lived in Paris from 98 - 99 so I imagine it was 99. The memory's fading. Not surprising. My last memory of that night was on the Champs d'Elysée with a Scot in a kilt commandeering a street cleaner and a Moroccan chasing after him with a broom.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:36 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
Jeez Laurie, I'm surprised you are still alive at your age.  
Do you have a nice trophy wife to wheel you around and pre-chew your food? I have seen - in no particular order - all the 6 Nations teams and and all the 4 RC teams.
Also US, Canada, Georgia, Samoa, Russia
Lions, Barabarians
And the Sovreign Independent East Midlands Nation of Northampton.

Doc, my wife would frighten a police horse.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:37 pm

Good effort kia- you need to get Italy to complete the Grand Slam of Tier 1 nations like a few other posters have!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:38 pm

Before someone else brings it up, does Sevens International rugby count?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:40 pm

The Saint wrote:Before someone else brings it up, does Sevens International rugby count?

I dont think anyone else would count sevens as a test!

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:41 pm

The Saint wrote:Before someone else brings it up, does Sevens International rugby count?

Oooh good question. I'm going with no- its evolving into a different sport for all intents and purposes, with sevens specialists becoming sought after in their own right within that sport. Rugby Union, 15 a side. No Sevens, no league.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:44 pm

Okay it was worth asking! We'll leave out A team games then too, as those are tests that tie a player to that playing nation.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:46 pm

I saw New Zealand beat England last saturday night at Eden park, it was the women though.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:46 pm

The Saint wrote:Okay it was worth asking! We'll leave out A team games then too, as those are tests that tie a player to that playing nation.

No, I'm including A team games- but only at half the value in terms of points. Maybe I shouldn't?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:52 pm

Ah, so that was where games against Romania and Portugal came in? With that said, do you get an extra point/half point for 'Ireland A'?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:54 pm

The Saint wrote:Ah, so that was where games against Romania and Portugal came in? With that said, do you get an extra point/half point for 'Ireland A'?

No, I reckon that it should cap out at one.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue 16 Jul 2013, 12:00 am

Wales (Home, Away & Neutral)
England (H & A)
Scotland (H & A)
Ireland (H, A & Neutral)
Italy (H & A)
France (H & N)

Australia (H & N)
Samoa (H & N)
Fiji (H & N)
New Zealand (H & N)
South Africa (H & N)

Namibia (N)
Tonga (N)
Hungary (N)
Serbia (N) - was Serbia & Montenegro then

Japan (H)
Argentina (H)
Canada (H)
Romania (H)
Pacific Islanders (H)

Also
B&I Lions v Argentina
Wales v Baa Baas
Baa Baas v New Zealand
Baa Baas v Australia
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 16 Jul 2013, 12:12 am

Whopper effort Pete
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by dallym Tue 16 Jul 2013, 1:45 am

New Zealand V Tonga
France V Japan
Australia V Italy
South Africa V Namibia
Fiji V Samoa
Japan V Canada
South Africa V Samoa
New Zealand V Australia
New Zealand V France
New Zealand V Ireland

So that's 12 different countries - NZ, Tonga, France, Japan, Australia, Italy, South Africa, Namibia, Samoa, Fiji, Canada and Ireland

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Jul 2013, 2:21 am

Wales v Fiji
Wales v Italy
Wales v SA (2)
Wales v England (2)
Wales v Argentina
Wales v Ireland
Wales v Scotland (4 2 home, 2 away)
Wales v Australia
Wales v France
UAE v Japan

12 then. I think it'll take a country that I haven't seen to make me go to the Millennium again though. My last two games were England RWC 11 warm up on hospitality and Wales v France Grand Slam decider for free (competition win). Because the game before that was the dreadful Wales v Ireland in 11, I'm a bit wary of spending money for a ticket again.

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 3:42 am

(6 Nations) Scotland, France, England, Ireland, Wales, Italy = 6
(Rugby Championship) New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, Argentina = 4
(Others) Canada, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, Romania. = 5

So I've seen a total of 15 teams (16 if you count the Pacific Islanders?). Looking forward to the autumn so I can add Japan to the list.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 16 Jul 2013, 7:25 am

Well heres mines:

6 Nations - Scotland, France, Wales, Ireland, England, Italy

RC - New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, Argentina

Other - Lions, BaaBaas, Fiji, Japan, Samoa, Romania, Canada
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 16 Jul 2013, 7:35 am

Argentina! 12.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 16 Jul 2013, 7:40 am

England against the other 6Ns teams home and away (6pts)
England against NZ (RWC91, 1993)
Leicester vs Australia and South Africa (2pts) (seen these two against England as well including Paris 99 vs SA Sad)
Lions v Argentina (2pts) (Seen England play them as well)
England v Netherlands (RWC99 qualifier)
England v PI Countries (Samoa - not sure when, Fiji - when Rory Underwood got 5 tries, also RWC 99 1/4 play-off spot, Tonga RWC 99)
England v romania 1989
England v Canada (early 90s forget the year)
Saxons v USA

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 16 Jul 2013, 7:45 am

Wales v England,SA(x2),Samoa,Fiji,Canada.

Ospreys v Russia count? Go on....
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next