The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Many Countries Have You seen In Test Rugby?

+51
blackcanelion
Shifty
Taylorman
GunsGerms
Metal Tiger
funnyExiledScot
asoreleftshoulder
EWT Spoons
BigWilly
bsando
Looseheaded
Gibson
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
Jenifer McLadyboy
Swperb
disneychilly
tomhughesnice
the-goon
Geordie
offload
tigertattie
Dubbelyew L Overate
Pete330v2
debaters1
SecretFly
Cyril
LordDowlais
BristolDave
beshocked
Scrumpy
Notch
Thomond
captain carrantuohil
fa0019
Mickado
thomh
Breadvan
LondonTiger
bedfordwelsh
GLove39
dallym
PenfroPete
doctor_grey
kiakahaaotearoa
mckay1402
The Saint
Glas a du
aucklandlaurie
hjumpshoe
ScarletSpiderman
Biltong
55 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

How Many Countries Have You seen In Test Rugby? - Page 4 Empty How Many Countries Have You seen In Test Rugby?

Post by Notch Mon 15 Jul 2013 - 21:55

First topic message reminder :

Just having a think about this earlier- the number of teams I've seen in Test Rugby. Thought I would publish my list and people could publish theirs and we could have a bit of a competition to see whose is longest. If you saw them once or a hundred times, it doesn't make a difference. All must be countries who appear on the IRB Rankings, with the exception of the British and Irish Lions. Sound fair? Every country is worth one point, if you saw a country (or the Lions) in a midweek match or an A international thats worth half a point. But you can't count the same country twice. i.e. if you saw the All Blacks beat Munster and Ireland thats still just 1 point.

Ok? Ok.

This is just meant to be a bit of fun but I'll be updating a league table. NO LYING!

Table

PenfroPete, 21 points (20 countries + the Lions)
GunsGerms, 19 points (18 countries + Pacific Islanders)
tigertattie, 19 points (19 countries)
EWT Spoons, 19 points (19 countries)
LordDowlias, 19 points (17 countries + the Lions + the Pacific Islanders)
LondonTiger, 17.5 points (17 countries + the Lions)
hjumpshoe, 17 points (16 countries + the Lions)
BigWilly, 17 points (16 countries + the Lions)
Swperb, 16.5 points (17 countries)
offload, 16 points (16 countries)
doctor-grey, 16 points (15 countries + the Lions)
bedfordwelsh, 16 points (15 countries + the Lions)
BristolDave, 16 points (15 countries + the Lions)
GLove39, 16 points (16 countries + Pacific Islanders)
debaters1, 16 points (15 countries + Pacific Islanders)
the goon, 15 points (15 countries)
Notch, 14 points (15 countries)
thomh, 14 points (14 countries)
Glas a Du, 14 points (14 countries)
Jenifer McLadyboy, 14 points (14 countries)
Pete330v2, 13 points (13 countries)
dailym, 12 points (12 countries)
beshocked, 13 points (12 countries + Lions)
Risca Rev, 12 points (12 countries)
The Saint, 11 points (10 countries + the Lions)
captain carrantuohil, 11 points (11 countries)
kiakahaaotearoa, 10 points (10 countries)
Gibson, 10 points (10 countries)
Mickado, 10 points (10 countries)
fa0019, 10 points (9 countries + the Lions)
tomhughesnice, 9 points (9 countries)
bsando, 8 points (8 countries)
MetalTiger, 8 points (8 countries)
Shifty, 7 points (8 countries)
ScarletsSpiderman, 7 points (7 countries)
mckay1402, 7 points (6 countries + the Pacific Islanders)
Breadvan, 6.5 points (7 countries)
Biltong, 5 points (5 countries)
asoreleftshoulder, 4 points (4 countries)
Looseheaded, 3 points (3 countries)
Geordie Falcon, 1.5 points (2 A games and a club vs country)
Thomond, 1.5 points (3 club vs country)

Last edited by Notch on Sat 20 Jul 2013 - 10:28; edited 38 times in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

How Many Countries Have You seen In Test Rugby? - Page 4 Empty Re: How Many Countries Have You seen In Test Rugby?

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 19 Jul 2013 - 12:57

GunsGerms wrote:
All of them included Ireland plus I saw Australia play NZ in Landsdowne road and SA play the BaBas in Landsdowne.

I have also seen NZ play Leinster also in Landsdowne.

Well done. You must have been very young. I was away when the 1991 world cup was on. A world cup is a great chance to see a lot of teams together.

Will have to make sure I get to as many as possible in 2015.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

How Many Countries Have You seen In Test Rugby? - Page 4 Empty Re: How Many Countries Have You seen In Test Rugby?

Post by GunsGerms Fri 19 Jul 2013 - 13:04

I was about 9 when I went to my first match (that I can remember), 7 the first time I played. Rugby is the only religion in my family, Landsdowne our place of worship.

Unfortunatly I cant remember the first International I went to but the first rugby match was at was Terenure v Gonzaga in the 89 Junior cup final again in Landsdowne.

I think Leinster v NZ was also in 89 but there is no info on it online at all.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 19 Jul 2013 - 13:32

GunsGerms wrote:
I think Leinster v NZ was also in 89 but there is no info on it online at all.
http://www.rugbyrelics.com/images/Programmes/tour/NZ2/1989-11-08.jpg

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 19 Jul 2013 - 14:15

Thanks for that.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 20 Jul 2013 - 9:14

Oh bloody hell this will be hard =/

I was the Premiership XV vs Georgia last season, and Russia against both Ospreys and Dragons the season before that.

Wales against the Barbarians in 1990
Wales against Fiji in 1995
Wales against Italy in 1996
Wales against the Barbarians in 1996
Wales against France in September 1996
Wales against the USA in 1997
Wales against Japan in 2004

If it was Welsh premiership or regional games I would probably win but Wales games I'm pretty awful on I'm afraid.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sat 20 Jul 2013 - 14:47

I can't believe that the Barbarians or Pacific Islanders count. Can't be bothered working it out, over 10, probably over 15. Haven't been to game when the AB's have lost, hope that's not a curse.

Best Game - NZ Australia Wellington 1996, brilliant game in atrocious conditions
Best Atmosphere before a game - World cup final 2011 - Fan walk, pubs
Best Atmosphere during a game - Fiji v Argentina 1987
Best Atmosphere after a game - NZ v Australia 1996, can't beat drinking with one of the teams

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 20 Jul 2013 - 15:09

Local knowledge helps BC! I was at that game in 1996. Best wet weather display I have seen. I was terrified the stand would collapse. It was swaying violently in the wind. The whole stadium was a wind tunnel. Carisbrook seemed luxury compared to that dinosaur. Bet you have good memories there though. I grew up being in awe of Bernie's corner and that toe punt of Hewson. Always liked Wellingtons style of rugby. Along with Otago and North Harbour they were my favourite teams outside of Canterbury. Auckland was more a mixture of awe and loathing!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sat 20 Jul 2013 - 15:17

I was down behind the posts, facing into the southerly. Mildly hypothermic before kickoff..............

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 20 Jul 2013 - 15:20

It got much worse in the second half. Alcohol keeps out the cold but worsens the feeling of giddiness when the stand is shaking!

Where did you go afterwards to see the players?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sat 20 Jul 2013 - 15:25

One of the bars in town. Wasn't living here then, so don't remember the name. The Aussies. Good blokes. Remember thinking Tim Horan is a lot bigger up close.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 20 Jul 2013 - 15:32

Little Timmy Horan doesn't conjure up a big guy. He and Little ironically were giants of the game. My personal favourite centre partnership and I really admired Bunce and Little.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 21 Jul 2013 - 8:14

I forgot Wales v Barbarians twice (Shifty reminded me of 1996 and I also went to see a number of Dragons play against them recently).

Also, how could I forget Dragons v Russia.

So 13 for me now, I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 21 Jul 2013 - 18:26

I forgot about Russia too, Rev! So that's Newport v Uruguay and Dragons v Russia as my two left field entries!

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 21 Jul 2013 - 20:33

thumbsup I've seen,

Wales
England
Ireland
Scotland
France
New Zealand
Australia
Fiji
Argentina
Italy
Canada
Barbarians
Cornwall

It seems like more

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sun 21 Jul 2013 - 22:52

RubyGuby wrote:thumbsup I've seen,

Wales
England
Ireland
Scotland
France
New Zealand
Australia
Fiji
Argentina
Italy
Canada
Barbarians
Cornwall

It seems like more

Oi Ruby Baby! That's not a proper country. So it doesnae really count  I'm afraid. guinness
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 21 Jul 2013 - 23:25

thumbsup 
Gibson wrote:

Wales
Ireland
Scotland
France
New Zealand
Australia
Fiji
Argentina
Italy
Canada
Barbarians
Cornwall

It seems like more

Oi Ruby Baby! That's not a proper country. So it doesnae really count  I'm afraid. guinness

Is that better mate -

thumbsup 

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sun 21 Jul 2013 - 23:44

RubyGuby wrote:thumbsup 
Gibson wrote:

Wales
Ireland
Scotland
France
New Zealand
Australia
Fiji
Argentina
Italy
Canada
Barbarians
Cornwall

It seems like more

Is that better mate -

thumbsup 

Ja! Far better for Planet Rugby as a whole.
See. This is why I love you man.  guinness

Last edited by Gibson on Mon 22 Jul 2013 - 0:06; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 21 Jul 2013 - 23:53

thumbsup thumbsup Having a recess at the moment Gib, waiting for the season to start again and then the AI's - It's all about the country for us with the Regions as feeders. Our Regions will struggle to compete but they remain a great breeding place for young welsh talent who can get the exposure they need. Ospreys getting to the HC 1/4's would be seen as success. That's just the way it is, but I'm comfortable with that as our rugby set up is geared for national success where possible and at least we are able to compete now. Having grown up in the 70's I was spoiled - I experienced the barren years when we lost a lot to Rugby League - but now we can compete again, that's all I want. We could have had a midfield of Jiffy at 10 and Scott Gibbs and Bateman in the centre for many years but we lost them. That would have been a midfiefld as good as anything we've ever had. Lets see where these young guns take us - Room for optimism

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 22 Jul 2013 - 0:12

Yeah bud. Wales really  have it together at international-level, far better than the other 5 nations. The recent evidence is there for all to see. Specially after the Lions Tour. But I'd worry about the regions. The very source of it all.   They are being raped by France and England and the WRU don't seem to give a flyin-schitt about it. It may come back to haunt them over time.

In fact, it will come back to haunt them and all Welsh rugby fans, until it is redressed.

Last edited by Gibson on Mon 22 Jul 2013 - 0:18; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 22 Jul 2013 - 0:15

Whisky thumbsup Later Mo Chara

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 23 Jul 2013 - 11:07

I've seen

Six Nations

Wales v Ireland
Wales v France

Other

Wales v Aus x 2
Wales v Fiji
Wales v Argentinia
Wales v Canada
Wales v SA
Wales v Western Samoa

And..... Newport Gwent Dragons v Russia Very Happy 
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolklass Tue 23 Jul 2013 - 16:57

Wales v South Africa, Australia, Argentina, France, Ireland (away) Scotland (away)

Norfolklass

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 23 Jul 2013 - 17:25

The only team I have ever watched away is England in Twickers. Awesome stuff!! Nearly as hallowed turf as the oldest rugby ground in the world Landsdowne.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Fri 26 Jul 2013 - 3:35

England, Ireland, France, Scotland, Italy, Wales (Provincial Game)

Aust, Argentina, NZ

USA, Canada

Romania, Georgia

Fiji, Cook Islands (Does that count)

Lions

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 27 Jul 2013 - 20:57

Griff wrote:I forgot about Russia too, Rev! So that's Newport v Uruguay and Dragons v Russia as my two left field entries!

Risca Rev wrote:I forgot Wales v Barbarians twice (Shifty reminded me of 1996 and I also went to see a number of Dragons play against them recently).

Also, how could I forget Dragons v Russia.

So 13 for me now, I think.

Fancy a stray Ospreys fan reminding the Dragons fans what countries they have seen their region play against! Hug thumbsup 
the Russian game was a cracker as well, especially Boris the prop!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 28 Jul 2013 - 0:50

Yeah, the Russia game has been a highlight in the last two seasons as well broken 

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 29 Jul 2013 - 18:45

Risca Rev wrote:Yeah, the Russia game has been a highlight in the last two seasons as well broken 

I really enjoyed that game, and the atmosphere in the Hazell stand was brilliant, one of the nicest things I have seen in rugby was the standing ovation the Hazell stand gave the Russian squad who were running in front of it doing their pre-game warm ups, and some of them applauded and waved back. Classy touch from both groups.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4