The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scarlets - discussion thread..!

+14
BuzzScarlet
Steffan
Seagultaf
The Saint
international197
ScarletSpiderman
HongKongCherry
LordDowlais
Jhamer25
George Carlin
Janecory
Welsh Magician
Totallybiasedscarlet
maestegmafia
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Scarlets - discussion thread..! Empty Scarlets - discussion thread..!

Post by maestegmafia Sun 25 Aug 2013, 1:34 pm

Thread for Scarlets fans to discuss the season

Players

In

Frazier Climo from (Taranki)
Steven Shingler ( London Irish)  
John Barclay (Glasgow Warriors)
Darran Harris (Pontypridd)
Jamie Cub Davies (Carmarthen Athletic)
Josh Lewis (Ebbw Vale)

Out

Tomas vallejos cinalli (Pampas XV)
Tavis Knoyle ( Gloucester)
Owen Williams (Leicester Tigers)
Jonathan Edwards (Cardiff RFC)  
Andy Fenby (London Irish)
Morgan Stoddart (Retired)
Dan Newton (London Scottish)
Kieron Murphy (Brive)
George North ( Northampton Saints)
Rheon James (Cornish Pirates)
Richie Pugh (Released)
Rhys Jones (Released)
Dale Ford (Released/Bristol)
Peter Edwards (London Welsh)
Craig Hawkins (Released)
Lee Williams (Carmarthen Quins)

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 3:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Scarlets - discussion thread..! Empty Re: Scarlets - discussion thread..!

Post by maestegmafia Sun 25 Aug 2013, 1:35 pm

With just two weeks until their high profile opening RaboDirect PRO12 fixture of the season against Champions Leinster, the Scarlets will use both the London Welsh fixture and their third friendly against Gloucester Rugby in a week's time to test their full squad.
After narrowly losing out to a strong Exeter Chiefs team last weekend at a very wet Parc y Scarlets, the West Wales side will hand opportunities to a number of their emerging stars on Sunday afternoon as final decisions are made on the team to kick-off the season on Friday September 6th at Parc y Scarlets against Leinster (kick off 7.05pm).

The team travelling to Oxford will be led by back row Josh Turnbull who celebrates his 100th appearance in a Scarlets shirt and his first time as captain of his region as he enters his 7th season with his region.

A notable landmark for the ambitious and committed international Scarlet, the Newcastle Emlyn player and former Scarlets Academy recruit is one of a group of senior Scarlets developed through the West Wales rugby pathway, that are now setting standards and helping lead the region this coming season.

Head Coach Simon Easterby said: "The game against London Welsh is another big opportunity for a number of our players to show their ambition and hunger to progress through their performances in a Scarlets jersey this weekend.

"We took a lot out of our game against a near full strength Exeter side and with only a fortnight left until we host Leinster the next two weeks are crucial in our preparation. These are key games for both the players and coaches to test and finely tune the hard work done in the pre-season."

With plenty of history and colour surrounding the Scarlets next two games against London Welsh and then Gloucester next Friday evening, Easterby said he hoped the pre-season games would excite with a decent travelling support to lift the players and build confidence and anticipation ahead of the new season.

"We are handing opportunities to a host of emerging Scarlets this weekend and there is plenty to be optimistic about in the future as these players show the range of talent we still have coming through our ranks.

"I'd like to congratulate Josh on achieving 100 caps as a Scarlet - a great achievement and he joins a distinguished group of Scarlets who have reached this important landmark. He's a committed player, has always shown real determination and guts on the field and on top of working hard in recent months to come back to full fitness, he deserves the honour of leading the Scarlets team this weekend."

The exciting Scarlets line-up on Sunday afternoon sees an appearance for one of the five Scarlets brothers partnerships at Parc y Scarlets this season. The Warren brothers will be together in the back line with centre and older brother Adam Warren playing alongside young wing talent Aaron Warren.

Scarlets Team v London Welsh; Sunday August 25th 2013 kick off 2pm at Kassam Stadium 15 Dion Jones; 14 Kyle Evans; 13 Nic Reynolds; 12 Adam Warren; 11 Aaron Warren; 10 Aled Thomas; 9 Aled Davies; 1 Shaun Hopkins; 2 Kirby Myhill; 3 Deacon Manu; 4 Jake Ball; 5 Richard Kelly; 6 Josh Turnbull (captain); 7 Dan Thomas; 8 Craig Price.

Replacements: Gareth Thomas, Darran Harris, Rhodri Jones, Carwyn Jones, Sion Bennett, Lewis Rawlins, Sione Timani, Rhodri Williams, Josh Lewis, Scott Williams, Dylan Morgans, Chris Knight.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Sun 25 Aug 2013, 5:32 pm

Any news on the scores anyone? I can't find them anywhere.
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Welsh Magician Sun 25 Aug 2013, 5:53 pm

Totallybiasedscarlet wrote:Any news on the scores anyone? I can't find them anywhere.
16-16

Welsh Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by Janecory Sun 25 Aug 2013, 5:56 pm

Welsh Magician wrote:
Totallybiasedscarlet wrote:Any news on the scores anyone? I can't find them anywhere.
16-16
Were Losing 13-3 ht.
Scored 10 pts in last 10 mins.

Janecory

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 25 Aug 2013, 6:11 pm

http://www.london-welsh.co.uk/index.php?mod=rugby_matchfeed&id=1

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 25 Aug 2013, 6:11 pm

Match link on the LW website

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Sun 25 Aug 2013, 6:17 pm

Thanks guys much appreciated!
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 25 Aug 2013, 6:23 pm

The Scarlets travelled to Oxford for their second pre-season friendly and a second half fight back by the young Scarlets side secured a last minute try and a draw away to London Welsh.
As Tunrbull led the side on his 100th regional appearance a number of the region's young talent were pulling on the jersey for the very first time in what was an entertaining game of rugby.

Both sides looked to play an ambitious brand of rugby putting plenty of width on the ball and despite an early penalty by Aled Thomas for the Scarlets it was London Welsh who led for most of the game looking to have a stronghold on the result until the last minute of play.

An early attack by the home side was upheld by a strong defensive Scarlets line and the visitor's worked well to move the ball down field and win important territory.

Thomas' early penalty for the visitor's was their only score of the first half as London Welsh kicked two penalties and crossed for a converted try to take them 13-3 up at the break.

Half time score: London Welsh 13 Scarlets 3

The home side rang the changes for the second half with an entirely new XV entering the field as the Scarlets remained with 14 men due to Shaun Hopkins' first half sin binning.

Junior World Championship star Rhodri Williams replaced Aled Davies at scrum half as the remainder of the Scarlets side remained unchanged.

An open game ensued in the second half but neither team could capitalise on the opportunities presented to them with a penalty apiece the only scores for the most of the half.

The Scarlets continued to look for work with plenty for the coaches to take away from the game as new faces Darran Harris, Carwyn Jones, Aaron Warren and a number of others all showed promise.

Replacement outside half Josh Lewis brought the Scarlets back within four points but as London Welsh continued their attacking play it looked as though it would be too much for the Scarlets to get back within touching distance.

A missed penalty for Lewis with only five minutes on the clock was certain to be the final nail in the coffin but scrum half Williams showed composure and skill taking a quick tap from the base of a ruck.

A strong individual run by Williams past Welsh defenders put him in clear space with Aaron Warren in support. Craig Price was in support and he crossed the line in the dying moments of the game. Lewis' conversion brought the score to 16 apiece.

The second half fight back was enough to secure a draw for the visitor's and plenty of promise from a number of the region's young talent as the Scarlets prepare for their first competitive game of the season against Leinster at Parc y Scarlets on Friday 6th September.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 25 Aug 2013, 7:44 pm

With Aled Davies starting in what seems to be a comprehensively reserve side, does this mean he may not be first choice 9 this season? Would be a bizarre move if Easterby made it, but, based purely on rugby ability, the correct one.

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 25 Aug 2013, 8:00 pm

I'm actually quite fascinated by the dynamic between different Welsh fans on these boards in terms of their attitude to the Scarlets. They don't generally seem to get a lot of respect as a pro club amongst a number of Welsh fans, which I think is a bit strange given that they played some sparkling rugby last year.

I am not wumming - this is a serious question - can Fenby and North genuinely not be replaced to a large extent? Aren't there some good quality kids coming through?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 25 Aug 2013, 8:06 pm

Last season was comfortably the most disappointing in terms of how 'attractive' the team were. The defence and pack improved, but it seems so much was already lost, even before personnel leaving, that they will really struggle. There are some talented youngsters, there always are, but Ulster and Leinster have shown how essential it is top up young talent with quality NWQ/NIQ players for the team to be competitive and successful.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun 25 Aug 2013, 10:02 pm

Um not really sure what to think about it. i guess it was a young team but it sounds like they didn't play very well.
Last season we always came alive in the LAST 10 minutes which isn't good enough. Our main weakness is that our heads aren't screwed on for ll the 80 minutes and allow ourselves to have long bad patches in games.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 28 Aug 2013, 12:20 pm

What is happening with Jordan Williams, the young fullback who had a massive Junior WC ? I would love to see him get some game time this season.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 28 Aug 2013, 1:17 pm

Anyone coming to the game on Friday, don't forget your ticket gets you in for Glaws v Plymouth at 5pm too. I'd fully expect the 2nd string side to play Plymouth and the 1st to play Scarlets. Given the fitness of the various players, I'd expect Glaws to put out the following: Wood, Britton, Harden, Savage, Hudson, Qera, Kvesic, Morgan, Knoyle, Burns, Sinbad, 36, Trinder, Sharples, Cook.

Either way, it should be a cracking evening of sport; the forecast is warm and dry, so despite the ring rustiness of pre-season hopefully we'll see some good running rugby. Enjoy the evening OK 
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 28 Aug 2013, 2:35 pm

I was up at the match last week, it was very much a youth team that was playing. Wayne Barnes was up to his usual trick of being very woeful (both ways). Our pack was getting pinged left right and centre, and we got a yellow card that IMO was not only legal but technically a pen against LW for offside. This really made the first half scores look far worse than the actual play on the field.

Having seen both friendlies so far, I am not too worried about our backs. All the kids who have been out on the wings have looked solid enough. Scrum half seems like an issue. Aled Davies has not looked good in either match, where as both Cawdor and Rhodri have, but I have a feeling Aled will be first choice still.

The first and second string pack IMO are solid enough, but Manu and Timani (as much as I like them) have seemed to have gone backwards at a rate of knots. This could be a real issue for us during the international windows (Rh Jones, Samson and Ken missing in the front row aaarrrggghhh).

I think we will put out a pretty strong side vrs Glaws, I would hazard a guess at:

Li Williams, Aa Warren, S Williams, G Maule, J Williams, S Shingler, G Davies;
Rh Jones, E Phillips, J Adriaanse, G Earle, J Snyman, A Shingler, D Thomas, R McCusker (C);
Bench -: K Owens, R Evans, S Lee, J Ball, C Price, Rh Williams, R Priestland, Ad Warren (maybe K Phillips or K Evans too).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu 29 Aug 2013, 12:12 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I was up at the match last week, it was very much a youth team that was playing.  Wayne Barnes was up to his usual trick of being very woeful (both ways).  Our pack was getting pinged left right and centre, and we got a yellow card that IMO was not only legal but technically a pen against LW for offside.  This really made the first half scores look far worse than the actual play on the field.

Having seen both friendlies so far, I am not too worried about our backs.  All the kids who have been out on the wings have looked solid enough.  Scrum half seems like an issue.  Aled Davies has not looked good in either match, where as both Cawdor and Rhodri have, but I have a feeling Aled will be first choice still.

The first and second string pack IMO are solid enough, but Manu and Timani (as much as I like them) have seemed to have gone backwards at a rate of knots.  This could be a real issue for us during the international windows (Rh Jones, Samson and Ken missing in the front row aaarrrggghhh).

I think we will put out a pretty strong side vrs Glaws, I would hazard a guess at:

Rh Jones, E Phillips, J Adriaanse, G Earle, J Snyman, A Shingler, D Thomas, R McCusker (C);
Bench -: K Owens, R Evans, S Lee, J Ball, C Price, Rh Williams, R Priestland, Ad Warren (maybe K Phillips or K Evans too).
Descent team would make a few changes though:
1. Rob Evans
2. Ken Owens
3. Samson Lee
4. Earle
5. Snyman
6. Shingler
7. Dan Thomas
8. Mccusker

9. Rhdori Williams
10. Rhys Priestland
11. JOrdan Williams
12. Scott Williams
13. Gareth Maule
14. Aaron Warren
15. Liam Williams

16. Kirby Myhill, 17. Rhodri Jones, 18. Adriannse, 19. Jake, 20. Sion Bennett, 21. Gerald Davies, 22. Shingler, 23. Kyle Evans

Players like Sion Bennett, Myhill, Aaron Warren and Rhodri Williams need to be included in the match day 23 during friendlies. I know we need to put a strong team out but they still need game time under their belts.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 29 Aug 2013, 9:37 am

I think Myhill and Bennett will get decent enough game time during the AIs and will most likely rack up a fair few appearances through out the season. But I think we are far more likely to be using/needing Emyr and Price.

I guess we will see what Easters decides to do later on today when he names the team, but I think we need to make sure that at some point our first choice side are all on the feild together at some point in the match (be it all starting, or with some coming off the bench), just to give them a run together.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 29 Aug 2013, 1:30 pm

Not far off the starting XV. Good to see Kalamafoni fit and ready for a starting place. Glaws are going with:

Rob Cook; Charlie Sharples, Henry Trinder, Billy Twelvetrees, James Simpson-Daniel; Freddie Burns, Tavis Knoyle; Nick Wood, Darren Dawidiuk, Rupert Harden; Tom Savage (capt), James Hudson; Sione Kalamafoni, Matt Kvesic, Ben Morgan.

Replacements:

Koree Britton, Dan Murphy, Yann Thomas, Lua Lokotui, Akapusi Qera, Dan Robson, Billy Burns, Mike Tindall, Steph Reynolds.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 29 Aug 2013, 1:44 pm

Not a bad side at all. Glad to see Tav is starting, it will be interesting to see how him and his opposite number fair, as both will probably have a point to prove to the other.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu 29 Aug 2013, 2:15 pm

at some point our first choice side are all on the feild together at some point in the match (be it all starting, or with some coming off the bench), just to give them a run together.
Agree we need to start jelling as a team now

A descent team for Gloucester but they have a weak front 5. We need to target their scrum and to do that Samson is a definite I think.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Thu 29 Aug 2013, 2:27 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:I was up at the match last week, it was very much a youth team that was playing.  Wayne Barnes was up to his usual trick of being very woeful (both ways).  Our pack was getting pinged left right and centre, and we got a yellow card that IMO was not only legal but technically a pen against LW for offside.  This really made the first half scores look far worse than the actual play on the field.

Having seen both friendlies so far, I am not too worried about our backs.  All the kids who have been out on the wings have looked solid enough.  Scrum half seems like an issue.  Aled Davies has not looked good in either match, where as both Cawdor and Rhodri have, but I have a feeling Aled will be first choice still.

The first and second string pack IMO are solid enough, but Manu and Timani (as much as I like them) have seemed to have gone backwards at a rate of knots.  This could be a real issue for us during the international windows (Rh Jones, Samson and Ken missing in the front row aaarrrggghhh).

1. Rob Evans
2. Ken Owens
3. Samson Lee
4. Earle
5. Snyman
6. Shingler
7. Dan Thomas
8. Mccusker

9. Rhdori Williams
10. Rhys Priestland
11. JOrdan Williams
12. Scott Williams
13. Gareth Maule
14. Aaron Warren
15. Liam Williams

16. Kirby Myhill, 17. Rhodri Jones, 18. Adriannse, 19. Jake, 20. Sion Bennett, 21. Gerald Davies, 22. Shingler, 23. Kyle Evans

Players like Sion Bennett, Myhill, Aaron Warren and Rhodri Williams need to be included in the match day 23 during friendlies. I know we need to put a strong team out but they still need game time under their belts.
I hope this isn't the team selected; I would prefer at least one WQ player to start for the Scarlets at second row.

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 29 Aug 2013, 2:36 pm

picard 

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 29 Aug 2013, 2:37 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:
at some point our first choice side are all on the feild together at some point in the match (be it all starting, or with some coming off the bench), just to give them a run together.

A descent team for Gloucester but they have a weak front 5. We need to target their scrum and to do that Samson is a definite I think.
Is he? He hasn't really proved himself to be the great destroyer at this level yet.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 29 Aug 2013, 2:56 pm

[quote="international197]I hope this isn't the team selected; I would prefer at least one WQ player to start for the Scarlets at second row.[/quote]
PPPppppfffftttt, our WQ second rows are Jake Ball and Richard Kelly (and a heap of lower level lads) neither are as good as Snyman or Earle, but most likely one will be on the bench.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 29 Aug 2013, 2:58 pm

The Saint wrote:
Jhamer25 wrote:

Is he? He hasn't really proved himself to be the great destroyer at this level yet.
The front row of Rob Evans, Myhill and Samson did a good job of sticking it to the Exeter pack in the first friendly, so fingers crossed
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Thu 29 Aug 2013, 3:00 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:our WQ second rows are Jake Ball and Richard Kelly
How about Carwyn Jones*? Apparently, he 'showed promise' against London Welsh on Sunday.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/london-welsh-16-16-scarlets-young-5785286 wrote:The Scarlets continued to look for work with plenty for the coaches to take away from the game as new faces Darran Harris, Carwyn Jones, Aaron Warren and a number of others all showed promise.
Pretty sure the likes of Aaron Shingler, Josh Turnbull and Lewis Rawlins can play second row as well.

*http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/rugby/people.php?player=104273&includeref=dynamic

Last edited by international197 on Thu 29 Aug 2013, 3:10 pm; edited 5 times in total

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 29 Aug 2013, 3:01 pm

SS, Ball and Kelly was a pretty decent lock pair when they played in the league, but haven't really done enough to be considered first choice.
That's good news that the former U20 front row played well. Wonder if they can do the same to Clermont in a few months time?....

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu 29 Aug 2013, 3:12 pm

international197 wrote:
Jhamer25 wrote:

1. Rob Evans
2. Ken Owens
3. Samson Lee
4. Earle
5. Snyman
6. Shingler
7. Dan Thomas
8. Mccusker

9. Rhdori Williams
10. Rhys Priestland
11. JOrdan Williams
12. Scott Williams
13. Gareth Maule
14. Aaron Warren
15. Liam Williams

I hope this isn't the team selected; I would prefer at least one WQ player to start for the Scarlets at second row.
Get a grip and stop being so pathetic.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Thu 29 Aug 2013, 3:17 pm

How about Carwyn Jones to play a full game, partnered by Snyman in the first half and Earle in the second half?

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu 29 Aug 2013, 3:22 pm

The Saint wrote:
Jhamer25 wrote:

I haven't really made my mind up on Adriansse at scrummaging yet because i never really saw him scrummge enough to make my view on him.
Samson was good last season and improved by the end of the season. He is a strong scummager and with more game time and work he will be a strong scrummager in the not to distant future.
However he is still a strong scrummager and our best option by far.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Thu 29 Aug 2013, 7:37 pm

The Scarlets as with all of the other Welsh regions are gradually getting weaker and weaker due to underfunding. In the last few seasons they have lost: Regan King, Stephen Jones, North, Stoddard, Knoyle, Matthew Rees, Iestyn Thomas, Rhys Thomas, Lou Reed, Ben Morgan, David Lyons. Eleven seasoned internationals.

The only international to be brought in is Berkley! Professional rugby will not survive in Wales when the Regions have to sell the family silver to survive. Lower standard teams means lower gates and lower incomes. It's a vicious circle.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 29 Aug 2013, 10:04 pm

Would be great if the Scarlets went bust and out of business. That being said the WRU would never let that happen. Bailed them out more times than a petty offender. Would be great though

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BuzzScarlet Thu 29 Aug 2013, 10:29 pm

Ahh, so which one of the financially secure regions do u support then Steffan? No more chance of the Scarlets going bust than the Ospreys, Dragons or Blues.

BuzzScarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:50 am

Scarlets Team v Gloucester Rugby; Friday August 30th 2013 kick off 7.30pm at Kingsholm; 15 Gareth Owen; 14 Liam Williams; 13 Gareth Maule; 12 Scott Williams; 11 Kristian Phillips; 10 Steve Shingler; 9 Gareth Davies; 1 Phil John; 2 Ken Owens; 3 Samson Lee; 4 George Earle; 5 Jo Snyman; 6 Aaron Shingler; 7 Josh Turnbull; 8 Rob McCusker (capt).

Replacements: Rob Evans, Emyr Phillips, Jacobie Adriaanse, Jake Ball, Richard Kelly, Sione Timani, Craig Price, Rhodri Williams, Rhys Priestland, Adam Warren, Jordan Williams.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 30 Aug 2013, 11:14 am

Fairly good team, not convinced with the back-row. There are some good players on the bench too.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 30 Aug 2013, 11:19 am

Saint, the satanic backrow is a worry, it didn't work too well last season, and judging by this selection it looks like we are going to stick with it unless Barclay is fit. That said Turnbull is not a bad player, he was not at his best last season as he was carrying an injury, so fingers crossed he will be a bit better this season.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 30 Aug 2013, 11:26 am

Turnbull can sometimes have good stats, but I don't think he's the best 7 and as part of that back-row he isn't likely to be effective as he can be. Barclay is probably better.

What do you think of Shingler? You watch him more often. I think he's a unique sort of back-row in the Croft mould. But for him to progress he needs to be more like Tom Wood, who is similar to both players but way more effective at doing a 6's job.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 30 Aug 2013, 11:40 am

I like Shingler, he is very important to our line out, and he does do the basics of a blindsides job, but he plays a bit more like an openside in the loose, running on the shoulder and being a link man in attack.

Turnbull is a very solid flanker, like McGog, I think he is more of a blindside that can do a passable job elsewhere when needed. I believe Josh tended to have the top tackler stats in most the games he played in, and is a bit of a Lydiate (or Daf Jones) in that he does a heap of donkey work, but tends only to get noticed for not making a steal at the breakdown etc.

I think Shingler and Turnbull will probably end up rotating a bit (maybe Timani too?) at blindside, depending on who we are playing against. With Shingler there when we have a fast track to run on, and Turnbull there when we need a tackling machine.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Aug 2013, 12:57 pm

McCusker isn't the right man. He doesn't have an impact at 8.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Aug 2013, 7:30 pm

international, you might be the most frustrating serious poster on 606, and I'm not trying to be mean in saying that.

Not sure I see the point in moving Sanjay to the wing? 15 is clearly his best position, let him flourish there and push Halfpenny for the starting shirt. Not convinced with Timani as the back row cover. You really need 5-6 decent back row options, and from the promise of 2-3 seasons ago, the depth and quality there strikes as being in the lower ecehlons of the Rabo. If McCusker and, especially, Turnbull can return to form and progress, they'll do well to compliment Shingler and Barclay, but that's still a very big 'if'.

Back to top Go down

Post by BuzzScarlet Fri 30 Aug 2013, 7:44 pm

Miaow, I'm not sure what to make on Sanjay playing at fullback. he's a good defensive fullback, tackles well, good under the high ball and brave but in attack he is often blinkered, on numerous occasions last season on counter attacking he took contact far to often when he had supporting players in better positions thus squandering a fair few scoring chances. We look a more dangerous attacking side with a fully fit Gareth Owen at fullback, seems to be able to read what's in front of him better and take the right options, keeping him fit is key though. As for Timani, I'm not convinced either, great in a couple of games last season, anonymous the rest of the time.

BuzzScarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Aug 2013, 8:26 pm

I'd agree he does look slightly blinkered, but often he's effective, and if he doesn't make a clean break, which he does a decent amount of times, he rarely gets turned over. It's a puzzling move, perhaps coming from Team Wales (playing there against NZ, long term wing option?). Or perhaps I'm wrong about him. His blinkers are nothing in comparison to Scott Williams's in any case haha!

I can't say I've seen Gareth Owen enough at 15 to say he's a better option there; I think Owen looks made for a 2nd 5/8th, a role which we could really do with what with Scott and Jon in the midfield. Still, hopefully a run of games in the team, regardless of position, will see him flourish and become a great regional player like Fenby was, and maybe better.

It's bizarre to think our back row contingency is a 2nd row who was deemed poor enough to release merely a few weeks ago! Haven't seen him, but I'd imagine he would have to have shed a bit of weight to meet the demands of the position?

Anyone have any news on the 9 problem? I'd say Gareth Davies with Rhodri on the bench, as the team above, would be my preferred option, but is Easterby likely to persist with Aled Davies for the start of the season?

Back to top Go down

Post by BuzzScarlet Fri 30 Aug 2013, 8:36 pm

I know what u mean about Scott, he frustrated the hell out of me last season! Hope he gets back to his best this season, agree about Gareth Owen at 12, has all the attributes to play well there but with Scott, Adam Warren and Steve Shingler able to play there I can't see him getting many chances. I watched Timani against Exeter a couple of weeks ago and looked terribly unfit and was clueless as an 8. Says a lot about our depth there when our best 8 is Rob McCusker!

I think easterby will preserver with Aled Davies at 9, good player providing he stops kicking so muck ball away! His box kicking awfull!

BuzzScarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 31 Aug 2013, 8:58 am

I actually think they should move Turnbull there. He played 8 when he was younger and given his genuine pace will surely create more space. Granted he isn't a bull dozer with carries but the options available are limited. McCusker should only be playing at Blindside. I agree that Williams should be left at Full Back where he has played well.

In truth they have to much cover in some areas and not enough in others. I really hope Easterby sticks with genuine wingers out wide and gives them a season to bed in. I appreciate you sometimes have to fill gaps but it shouldn't be that difficult to find 4 genuine wingers for a season. Even if it means giving opportunities to youngsters.

I just don't see the Scarlets challenging for a top 4 spot come the end of the season the way the squad is looking currently.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Sat 31 Aug 2013, 9:38 am

IMO Craig Price to start at eight on Friday & Rhodri Williams to start at nine.

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by BuzzScarlet Sat 31 Aug 2013, 9:51 am

Craig Price and Rhodri Williams have both played well in pre season and and deserve an inclusion in the match day 23 for Friday but I think Price will be on the bench but not sure about Rhodri as Easterby seems to like Ales Davies to start and Gareth Davies to come off the bench for impact but for me I would not be disappointed to see Rhodri play some part on Friday, great prospect.

BuzzScarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 04 Sep 2013, 11:06 pm

BuzzScarlet wrote:Ahh, so which one of the financially secure regions do u support then Steffan?
None of them. There are no regions to support. Thats a shame as im all for regional rugby. Just a shame we only have Newport, Cardiff, Swansea and Llanelli ring-fenced superclubs instead

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 05 Sep 2013, 8:27 am

Steffan wrote:
BuzzScarlet wrote:Ahh, so which one of the financially secure regions do u support then Steffan?
None of them. There are no regions to support. Thats a shame as im all for regional rugby. Just a shame we only have Newport, Cardiff, Swansea and Llanelli ring-fenced superclubs instead
It's also a shame, for all of us who are from none of those towns, to hear that some people think that we just don't exist.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 08 Sep 2013, 12:19 am

Well looking forwards Scarlets can take a few plus points from the Leinster loss. They look good in attack but the defence in the back line was awful.

Work harder on that and there is enough skill and talent for the squad to do well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next