The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scarlets - discussion thread..!

+14
BuzzScarlet
Steffan
Seagultaf
The Saint
international197
ScarletSpiderman
HongKongCherry
LordDowlais
Jhamer25
George Carlin
Janecory
Welsh Magician
Totallybiasedscarlet
maestegmafia
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Scarlets - discussion thread..! - Page 2 Empty Scarlets - discussion thread..!

Post by maestegmafia Sun 25 Aug 2013, 1:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

Thread for Scarlets fans to discuss the season

Players

In

Frazier Climo from (Taranki)
Steven Shingler ( London Irish)  
John Barclay (Glasgow Warriors)
Darran Harris (Pontypridd)
Jamie Cub Davies (Carmarthen Athletic)
Josh Lewis (Ebbw Vale)

Out

Tomas vallejos cinalli (Pampas XV)
Tavis Knoyle ( Gloucester)
Owen Williams (Leicester Tigers)
Jonathan Edwards (Cardiff RFC)  
Andy Fenby (London Irish)
Morgan Stoddart (Retired)
Dan Newton (London Scottish)
Kieron Murphy (Brive)
George North ( Northampton Saints)
Rheon James (Cornish Pirates)
Richie Pugh (Released)
Rhys Jones (Released)
Dale Ford (Released/Bristol)
Peter Edwards (London Welsh)
Craig Hawkins (Released)
Lee Williams (Carmarthen Quins)

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 3:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Scarlets - discussion thread..! - Page 2 Empty Re: Scarlets - discussion thread..!

Post by maestegmafia Sun 08 Sep 2013, 7:54 pm

Interesting to hear the pundits from scrum v take so many positives from the Scarlets performance.

Their suggested downfall was their backline defensive organisation.

Much as suggested above but seen with far less doom and gloom.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Scarlets - discussion thread..! - Page 2 Empty Re: Scarlets - discussion thread..!

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 09 Sep 2013, 8:50 am

Sitting in the stands it was hard to see what we did to lose the game. I think the only thing I could see was that we do need another winger, as Sanjay is wasted on the wing. Maybe we could go for Jordan or Kyle to start on one wing, Kristian Phillips (who played very well, compared to his normal stuff) on the other and Sanjay at fullback, with Gareth Owen on the bench.

ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 09 Sep 2013, 9:43 am

What were your thought on Shingler at 12?

His kicking was superb but how was his centre play....?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 09 Sep 2013, 9:46 am

He looked pretty similar to Scott Williams, physically and style of play. Not a bad option to have.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Mon 09 Sep 2013, 11:09 am

My expectation for the Scarlets before the 2013/2014 RaboDirect Pro12 season was for them to improve on their 4th place finish in the regular 2012/2013 RaboDirect Pro12 season; therefore finishing 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in this season’s regular RaboDirect Pro12 competition.

Unfortunately, after the first ‘game week,’ the Scarlets find themselves bottom of the RaboDirect Pro12 table; a whopping 9 positions behind 3rd placed Connacht, let alone 2nd placed Munster and 1st placed Leinster.

The goal, for me, is for the Scarlets to climb up the RaboDirect Pro12 table and cement their place in the top 3 before the end of the regular RaboDirect Pro12 season.

This will be an enormous challenge considering that they are currently the bottom placed team in the 2013/2014 RaboDirect Pro12.

This time next week I hope the Scarlets will have climbed the table and be at least the 11th placed team in the 2013/2014 RaboDirect Pro12.

However, this is not easy, as they don’t have their destiny in their own hands. If results don’t go the Scarlets’ way, the Scarlets could find themselves bottom of the RaboDirect Pro12 come this time next week, even if they beat Treviso on Saturday with a ‘bonus point’.

On the other hand, if results do go the Scarlets’ way, including their own fixture against Treviso, they could find themselves as high up as 2nd come this time next week.

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 09 Sep 2013, 11:20 am

international197 wrote:Unfortunately, after the first ‘game week,’ the Scarlets find themselves bottom of the RaboDirect Pro12 table; a whopping 9 positions behind 3rd placed Connacht, let alone 2nd placed Munster and 1st placed Leinster.

The goal, for me, is for the Scarlets to climb up the RaboDirect Pro12 table and cement their place in the top 3 before the end of the regular RaboDirect Pro12 season.

This will be an enormous challenge considering that they are currently the bottom placed team in the 2013/2014 RaboDirect Pro12.
Both these bits made me laugh. 12th place is 9 places below 3rd place, I actually burst out laughing at that one. The challenge will be no bigger than if would if we had lost like that to Leinster on the 5th weekend or on the 15th weekend, it is one result out of twenty two results, or to put it more accurately only 4.5% of the regular league season, that said if we lose to Treviso next weekend and/or Dragons the week after then things will looking hard for us.

Interesting fact, every team that have lost at PYS on the openning weekend, conceding over 40pts, have gone on to win the Rabo Pro12, so technically history favours us for lifting the trophy.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Mon 09 Sep 2013, 11:59 am

Apparently, Kristian Phillips has injured his hand and will be unavailable for the Scarlets' game against Treviso on Saturday. Therefore, assuming Kristian Phillips is unavailable, I would imagine that two of the following will start on the wings for the Scarlets on Saturday; Aaron Warren, Jordan Williams, Chris Knight, Kyle Evans, Dion Jones, Nic Reynolds or Liam Williams (however, I would like either Liam Williams, Jordan Williams or Dion Jones to start for the Scarlets at fullback on Saturday). Having said this, I assume Scarlets fullback options Gareth Owen, Steven Shingler, Rhys Preistland and Aled Thomas, along with Liam Williams, Jordan Williams and Dion Jones, will be looking to impress the Scarlets selectors in training ahead of their game against Treviso on Saturday.

http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/kris-phillips_topic37873_page2.html wrote:Wil Chips Posted: Yesterday at 4:09pm
Kris has a broken bone in his hand. Not sure of the prognosis, but will miss a minimum of 3 weeks at a guess.

Last edited by international197 on Mon 09 Sep 2013, 12:15 pm; edited 2 times in total

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 09 Sep 2013, 12:05 pm

Most likely out come will be the same team with Jordan Williams starting in place of Phillips, and Foxy taking Jordan's place on the bench.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 09 Sep 2013, 1:58 pm

international197 wrote:My expectation for the Scarlets before the 2013/2014 RaboDirect Pro12 season was for them to improve on their 4th place finish in the regular 2012/2013 RaboDirect Pro12 season; therefore finishing 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in this season’s regular RaboDirect Pro12 competition.
I think you could have left us to deduce that! OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 09 Sep 2013, 8:59 pm

international197 wrote:Apparently, Kristian Phillips has injured his hand and will be unavailable for the Scarlets' game against Treviso on Saturday. Therefore, assuming Kristian Phillips is unavailable, I would imagine that two of the following will start on the wings for the Scarlets on Saturday; Aaron Warren, Jordan Williams, Chris Knight, Kyle Evans, Dion Jones, Nic Reynolds or Liam Williams (however, I would like either Liam Williams, Jordan Williams or Dion Jones to start for the Scarlets at fullback on Saturday). Having said this, I assume Scarlets fullback options Gareth Owen, Steven Shingler, Rhys Preistland and Aled Thomas, along with Liam Williams, Jordan Williams and Dion Jones, will be looking to impress the Scarlets selectors in training ahead of their game against Treviso on Saturday.

http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/kris-phillips_topic37873_page2.html wrote:Wil Chips Posted: Yesterday at 4:09pm
Kris has a broken bone in his hand. Not sure of the prognosis, but will miss a minimum of 3 weeks at a guess.
Iesu H Mawr Rolling Eyes 
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep 2013, 6:18 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
international197 wrote:My expectation for the Scarlets before the 2013/2014 RaboDirect Pro12 season was for them to improve on their 4th place finish in the regular 2012/2013 RaboDirect Pro12 season; therefore finishing 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in this season’s regular RaboDirect Pro12 competition.
I think you could have left us to deduce that! OK
If you've ever played Fifa, or football manager, it's like those bulletins you get, the sort of automated replication of a journalist's report. Is international a computer...?

Missed the Leinster game unfortunately, by the sound of it they simply fell apart second half. Which certainly brings into question squad unity and belief in the coaches and their tactics. I'm still not convinced by Easterby as a head coach. An excellent forward or defensive coach he may be, but not as the top man. It's no good simply lamenting how they fell apart, it is the coaches job to forge a team spirit and make sure they are adequately set up to not simply fall apart when they go behind. If a team goes on to lose heavily when not playing particularly badly, it doesn't say much for their spirit, morale, or expectations; it's as if they are anticipating losing. It's early days, however, so hopefully things will get better, but the lack of recruitment really does make the team look stale and uninspiring.

The new kit is horrible, too.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 12 Sep 2013, 3:51 pm

http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/news/tv/6095.php

Time to see if a bit of hard graft on the defence has worked...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 13 Sep 2013, 11:43 am

Team V Treviso

Owen
Li Williams
S Williams
S Shingler
J Williams
Priestland
G Davies

John
Owens
Lee
Earle
Snyman
A Shingler
Turnbull
McCusker

(reps - E Phillips, Evans, Manu, Ball, Timani, A Davies, J Davies, Reynolds)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 13 Sep 2013, 12:22 pm

Would rather see Liam Williams that Gareth Owen at full back but otherwise thats not a bad side... Would also be interesting to see that young number eight have a run from the bench.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Fri 13 Sep 2013, 3:32 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/scarlets-believe-samson-lee-ready-5910758 wrote:“Rhodri’s seen as a tight-head now. Robin McBryde (Wales forwards coach) has seen something in there as a tight-head.

“Rhodri is really keen to play tight-head and he’s another young man who mets the criteria – he’s a huge lump of a bloke.

“It’s a different challenge for him, how he gets into the position, but he’s quite flexible for a big man so he can get into a good shape.

“It’s a little bit tough for him learning a new position but, hopefully, long-term the work he’s putting in now will bring the result he wants.”

WQ Rhodri Jones is now seen as a tight-head according to Scarlets forwards coach Danny Wilson. Hopefully this will make the Scarlets less dependent on NWQ tight-heads like Jacobie Adriaanse and Deacon Manu.

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 14 Sep 2013, 9:37 pm

Good result vs Treviso

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 15 Sep 2013, 6:53 am

Any news on what happened or what was wrong with Samson Lee?

Also I think S Shingler is looking like a great signing, I will admit that when he announced he wanted to play for Scotland I thought ok good luck to him and we should have let him go.

Now I am starting to think it was good job he didn't, he looks very comfortable and confident and seems to have a very reliable and accurate boot which is always handy.

From a Scarlets POV it takes the pressure of Priestland at 10 and from Welsh POV its something different to the Roberts and JD approach, will be interesting to see how his season goes now and if he can push for selection (sure he will) come the AIs
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 15 Sep 2013, 9:26 am

Completely agree Beds

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 16 Sep 2013, 9:09 am

I think Steve Shingler (really struggle not calling him scott) will end up at fullback over the coming weeks, with Foxy and Scott in the centre. I think the backline for us will be one of the two options bellow

Shingler, Li Williams, S Williams, J Davies, J Williams, Priestland, G Davies

or

Li Williams, S Williams, J Davies, Shingler, J Williams, Priestland, G Davies.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2