The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Trebanog

+19
Cari
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
St John The Enforcer
rodders
WillyGilly
PenfroPete
MrsP
aucklandlaurie
Notch
Jenifer McLadyboy
Glas a du
Luckless Pedestrian
prop_lyd
littleswannygirl
Thomond
Gibson
perthshirepuma
Hound of Harrow
Pal Joey
23 posters

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Trebanog - Page 11 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Trebanog

Post by Pal Joey Sat 07 Sep 2013, 11:28 am

First topic message reminder :

Hello and welcome to the Virtual Rugby Pub, a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

The pub has made its way to Trebanog, the home village of Cliff Morgan.

So grab a beer, cider, whiskey or wine.... or a warm beverage and sit back and enjoy the 2013-14 rugby season.

guinness Hug Ale   YahooWhisky Chef  coffeecuppa cake  Very Happy  RedWine   ciderclap

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no tampering with the pictures of the legendary
Cliff Morgan, Dorothy Squires & Esme Coles, Jason Tovey, Aaron Smith and Monterey Jack.  

last Pawb: https://www.606v2.com/t46425p1050-the-dew-drop-inn-virtual-rugby-pub-ealing-broadway#2269373

Last edited by Linebreaker on Thu 12 Dec 2013, 9:43 pm; edited 2 times in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Trebanog - Page 11 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Trebanog

Post by perthshirepuma Mon 21 Oct 2013, 10:14 am

Glad to hear that you're OK, LB. Opposite problem here - it's been very wet! Although not too bad today, now that my building contractor has finished laying the concrete slab for the garden room that's getting built next month. Hopefully it will be OK - don't know much about concrete! Or what to do with four massive bags that the ballast was delivered in. Can they be recycled?

perthshirepuma

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Trebanog - Page 11 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Trebanog

Post by Hound of Harrow Mon 21 Oct 2013, 11:39 am

Glad you're ok Lb.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 21 Oct 2013, 11:58 am

Cheers Hound.

I'm so envious, Puma. There is a lot of rain in Vic/SA but it has been baking hot here recently. Only 0.1mm rain in the last month.
Thunderstorms are predicted tomorrow...maybe... (so there could be more fire outbreaks from lightning strikes making things even worse for the firefighters) but with less than 2mm rain predicted it will be next to useless really.

Concrete usually needs 28 days to cure. Not sure about the bags. What are they made of? Hessian or that reinforced plastic material?
Maybe just ditch them in the recycling bin? Or can they be cut up and used to stabilise certain areas of the garden (under the topsoil) if required... assuming you have some small hilly bits on the estate? Smile 

I'm going through an anti-hoarding phase where I'm getting rid of all those cardboard boxes I thought I might need some day.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by perthshirepuma Mon 21 Oct 2013, 1:57 pm

Wish they were made of hessian, LB, at least they would compost, but my guess is polypropylene. Recycling centre is the best bet.

perthshirepuma

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 21 Oct 2013, 2:06 pm

Got a few projects in full flight too. I've got a meeting with the Heritage Assessor tomorrow in Randwick. I've sort of gone out on a limb... contrasting the old original building with the new additions towards the rear. Owners love it. Get some nice views across Queens Park to Bondi Jctn and the city. Just have to try and remain objective with the Council people and let them have their say.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 22 Oct 2013, 8:17 am

Bore da pawb / good morning all. I love this time of year, but when the days are grey, it can be a bit dismal sometimes. Thank chuff for the rugby, eh?

Speaking of which, the Os host the Dragons on the weekend. We still haven't won away yet this season, and a win at the Liberty wouldn't be a bad way to break the duck!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by littleswannygirl Tue 22 Oct 2013, 9:48 am

Well that was a short lived day at work! Sent home Crying or Very sad Feel guilty 'cos they're really short staffed but then again I don't want to infect anyone.
littleswannygirl
littleswannygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 22 Oct 2013, 10:00 am

Still got a cold then, Swanny? I had one last week, it really kicked in on Friday and I felt lousy on Saturday too, but it had more or less gone by Sunday.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by littleswannygirl Tue 22 Oct 2013, 10:18 am

Yeah, afraid so Lucky. Nowhere near as snotty as I was (though I have gone through an entire box of tissues in less than 36 hours!) but it's gone on my chest now. Did wonder if it was going too as I had that funny tickling sensation you get in my lungs yesterday. It's gone south overnight and now I'm coughing and breathless and a bit lightheaded. Not pleasant but it'll go. One of the ladies I work with is asthmatic and I didn't want to pass it to her. A cold would have been one thing but chest problems could be really serious for her.
littleswannygirl
littleswannygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 22 Oct 2013, 10:20 am

That's fair enough, Swanny. I always say I don't mind having a cold and it's generally true because you can still function, but I could have done without the one I had last week.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by littleswannygirl Tue 22 Oct 2013, 6:23 pm

Yahoo Got my first follower of my new blog! Very Happy And it's no one that I know so no hint of nepotism Smile 

Enforced rest does have some benefits Very Happy
littleswannygirl
littleswannygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Oct 2013, 6:31 pm

evening guys, been a while since posted on this thread. Hope everyone is well Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Tue 22 Oct 2013, 10:50 pm

Wotcha CF. Quiet place these days.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by perthshirepuma Tue 22 Oct 2013, 10:51 pm

Buenas tardes,amigos! How is it going, CF? Wet, wet, wet here today, folks - hope the weather is being kinder to you, wherever you are. Having said that, realising that Linebreaker and a lot of other folk in Oz are praying for the sort of downpours we have been seeing here.

perthshirepuma

Back to top Go down

Post by perthshirepuma Tue 22 Oct 2013, 10:57 pm

Just to add, Himself, my brother and my brother-in-law, are away up to Dornoch with half a dozen others for five days golfing, as they always do at this time of year. And they always have fine weather. bar stewards.

perthshirepuma

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Oct 2013, 11:20 am

hey, hound, perth,....im good guys, how are you'se?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Wed 23 Oct 2013, 5:11 pm

See, CF - I told you it was quiet in here these days. A lot of the old crew communicate via Whatsapp I think.

I'm ok thanks.

Sounds like you have a few days of freedom, puma.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Oct 2013, 6:11 pm

ah thats a shame...it used to be really chatty in here..

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 24 Oct 2013, 8:42 am

It did. Sad

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 24 Oct 2013, 9:20 am

All good things take time... Smile

So many things happening in the World of Sport.
I follow and read all of your comments but obviously I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the details in the HEC, Pro12, Amlin, Aviva, Greene King IPA, etc. I'm still in all those SB tipping comps though. Love it! Just made 43 picks which takes me up until Saturday afternoon here.

Just heard Richie Benaud was in a car crash. He is OK. Injured shoulder and chest.
Poor bloke... he's 83 now but they've said he will stay under observation for a few days in hospital.

Turns out the big fire was lit by the Army. They sure picked the wrong day to send mortar shells into the woods. Unbelievable...

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 24 Oct 2013, 9:36 am

Morning all,

How near to you has the fire got LB?

I just can not really fathom a fire or fires that big. Stay safe.

Hug 

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 24 Oct 2013, 9:49 am

Hi MrsP,  Thanks Hug 

I'm about 38km away from the foot of the Blue Mountains and these fires are about another 30-35 km further west. Much kinder weather today. The fires are still burning but it appears to be all under control at the minute.

Feeling OK about the Cardiff match? The Ulster lads should win comfortably. I'm looking forward to Glasgow-Munster and the Os-Dragons matches too.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 24 Oct 2013, 9:55 am

I thought the Os - Dragons game was on Sunday, but turns out I only have a day to wait! Smile

Hope Richie Benaud makes a swift recovery. What a commentator he is - and he wasn't too shabby in his playing days, either!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:05 am

The Cardiff game is a strange one.

A weel ago I would have said that they were one of the weakest teams in the Rabo at the moment. They have been shockingly poor the past 4/5 times we have played them.

Then they go and beat Toulon!!

In truth I doubt they can string together 2 good performances but...who knew they could string together one good performance?

I hope the team haven't got themselves into "sit back after the HEC" mode and are raring to show the home fans a great performance. The match has already sold out which, given it's not a huge game really is very encouraging for when we get the whole place finished.

If we can sell 13,000 for a Cardiff Rabo game in October it suggests we can go a good way towards filling at 18,000 seater stadium on a regular basis.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:16 am

Is that the new capacity after the upgrade... the one Rava's working on?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:21 am

Yeah. It will be 18,000 when it is finished. They made some adjustments to allow 14,000 for the Tigers game but the "working capacity" just now is 13,000.

That's a little more than the ground held last season.

Should be great when it's all done. Very "un-Ravenhill-like" though.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:29 am

I've held off commenting too much on the Blues' win over Toulon, but as significant a win as it was, it absolutely wazzed down for most of the match. That's bound to be a leveller. Also, whilst it's not the Blues' fault that Toulon didn't really create much during the game, it's not necessarily to their credit either. What I'm saying it that the Blues deserve plenty of credit for beating the reigning champions, but I'm not sure there was as great a transformation in performance from the Exeter game as people are claiming. They seemed much more committed, yes, but they weren't tested half as much by Toulon as they were by the Chiefs. In other words, let's see how they go at Ravenhill before drawing too many conclusions.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:32 am

Yeah... change is sometimes hard to take.
Like the old Hill at the SCG.... gone! The memories remain though.

Couldn't Belfast support a bigger rugby venue or is that going against the desires of the majority of fans? You'd get bigger crowds for a Leinster, Munster big European Club clash in theory? 50,000+ or is that too optimistic? Surely if Ulster were on another roll (like in the late 90s/mid 00s) you'd get more people would coming out of the woodwork?

I like the fact that you kept Ravenhill a similar scale and added more amenities but I agree it's sad when the old historic charm of the ground disappears in parts.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:43 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I've held off commenting too much on the Blues' win over Toulon, but as significant a win as it was, it absolutely wazzed down for most of the match. That's bound to be a leveller. Also, whilst it's not the Blues' fault that Toulon didn't really create much during the game, it's not necessarily to their credit either. What I'm saying it that the Blues deserve plenty of credit for beating the reigning champions, but I'm not sure there was as great a transformation in performance from the Exeter game as people are claiming. They seemed much more committed, yes, but they weren't tested half as much by Toulon as they were by the Chiefs. In other words, let's see how they go at Ravenhill before drawing too many conclusions.
Yeah, it sounds more like an un-Toulon-like performance than a significant improvement from the Blues. They took advantage of Toulon on an off day perhaps? A classic ambush? I'm sure other clubs will take a mental note though.

How do you think you'll go against the Os, Lucky? Sort of confident or do you think it might be a little too much? The Dragons must still be more confident this year with the Ulster win and even getting that one over the Scarlets? Have they improved or slipped back slightly since those matches?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:47 am

I can't really call it yet because I don't know whether the players named in the national squad are available this weekend or not. If they're not, then the Ospreys' pack shouldn't be such a challenge and we might be able to compete in the scrum. If we can get parity-ish there, then we've got every chance. The Os haven't been looking that creative over the last few weeks and our defence is so much better this season. On the other hand, we haven't won away yet this season and our record at the Liberty is woeful.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:51 am

I see. You have quite a few players in the national squad too or will some of them be allowed to play still?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:54 am

Just two, Breaker - Coombs and Faletau. We'll be far less affected than other sides during the international window

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 24 Oct 2013, 11:12 am

Cardiff Blues still defended in ones and twos for the whole match against Toulon. Conditions were such that the ball did not go through the backs very much at all, which was to the Blues' advantage as there were holes and gaps in their defensive line. Toulon played badly although they comprehensively dominated the scrum.

With John Afoa coming back to start most likely, all our Ireland internationals available and Jared Payne moving to centre I expect us to try and play ball in hand rugby and to have a very strong set piece. I'm hoping we can get the try bonus point and a win, a win is the minimum requirement.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri 25 Oct 2013, 11:08 am

Run 

BOOM

..... Run
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by perthshirepuma Fri 25 Oct 2013, 12:37 pm

Great! Thanks for that, Pete - just as I was wondering what the schedules for the weekend were, saw your post. Glad I had no plans for Scotstoun this evening - it is lashing down with rain. Going to be a soggy slugfest,I'm afraid. Anyway, I'm eating at my sister's tonight as our menfolk return from their golfing holiday up north. Difficult to choose which matches to record. Decisions, decisions.

perthshirepuma

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 25 Oct 2013, 7:03 pm

Good evening Anyone & Everyone!

I'm settled in front of the gogglebox for the Os v Dragons. I've no idea how this is going to pan out...Lyn would love to get one over on the O's for sure Wink

Hope everyone is well. I'm OK. A slight niggling injury concern has kept me from the gym this week so I'm a bit frustrated with that. Hopefully I can go tomorrow morning and Sunday. Otherwise, all's good in the hood.

Biggar at Fullback?! Whaaaaaa?! Shocked 

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 26 Oct 2013, 2:08 pm

Afternoon All mug 

Am watching the Rugby League World Cup.  The ceremony is going on but they're doing the match build up so they're not showing it.  Interestingly, the teams are having to warm up in the neighbouring Arms Park because of the ceremony.  I saw lots of fans wandering about early this morning when I was going to the gym.  Should be a good afternoon for the supporters, but I'm not sure what size crowd they'll get.

P.S Good luck Breaker, I understand RL is massive in Oz? Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 26 Oct 2013, 2:41 pm

Hi Cari. Congrats on the Os win. OK 

Yeah, set the alarm for midnight. RL is massive here. It overshadows RU in the sense that it is the main rugby code in NSW/Qld. These 2 states also have the biggest interest in rugby union... but it is traditionally seen as an 'elite' sport (unlike cricket here funnily enough!) and there is no national competition for rugby like in the AFL and NRL - which totally dominate the winter months on TV, in the press, etc.

There are bigger crowds which turn out for the big Rugby Internationals/Lions Tours, the main football codes (and national soccer league too now) and are heavily marketed as the working people's sports... sort of like cricket here is in summer.

I saw bits of the opening ceremony - it's nice that Wales are co-hosting it. Good luck against Italy later on. Smile

Try for England! Ryan Hall scores in the corner.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 26 Oct 2013, 2:45 pm

Thanks Breaker Smile

I can't see Oz taking that first English try lying down! This is looking promising...

I'm glad that they're playing a game here in Wales. RL is pretty much ignored in Wales compared to RU. The RL team could probably do with the support later.

I'm not sure I like the ref shouting all the time...I don't even know what he's on about! Very Happy 

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 26 Oct 2013, 2:49 pm

Wales have produced so many great players over the years but at the expense of your rugby side in the 90s especially. Would be good to see a strong Wales team do well in this tournament.

The refs shout all the time here... even in the local parks on weekends. You get used to it after a while but, yeah... it can be overwhelming at times. Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 26 Oct 2013, 2:51 pm

I'm just used to RU and you barely hear the ref sometimes... That would've been another great try had it been allowed, but the player didn't look happy afterwards so I didn't think it was a try...even with my limited League knowledge.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 26 Oct 2013, 2:55 pm

Interesting to hear the TMO talk through his decisions too...

That was an excellent take by Cudjoe to score that.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 26 Oct 2013, 2:58 pm

Actually, we have 2 refs (since 2011?) - the main ref and the pocket ref.

They decided to add an extra one because the game was moving too fast for just one... who too often made mistakes. The 2nd ref can call an infringement whenever he sees something wrong which can make it doubly punishing for some teams when they least expect it. We like over-policing things. Whistle 

Only one ref in Internationals and this WC though.

Another try. The Roos look a bit stunned! We need to stop this momentum from England.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 26 Oct 2013, 3:00 pm

The Roos missed a good chance there. Seemed too hesitant with the ball.

So, in League they don't have lineouts and scrums...? They just restart from where they are?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 26 Oct 2013, 3:02 pm

Oz try! Game on!!!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 26 Oct 2013, 3:05 pm

Just 6 tackles... then gain some ground through a kick; then defend the line again.
If they get tackled; then it's a turn-over to the opposition. They have uncontested scrums - instead of line outs and for knock-ons, etc.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 26 Oct 2013, 3:13 pm

Another Oz try! Great try by a man with a dodgy tache! Wink

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 26 Oct 2013, 3:20 pm

18-10 at HT. Very good try from Oz with only seconds to go until the HT whistle.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 26 Oct 2013, 3:26 pm

That'd be Greg Bird... he's a bit of a thug with a bad rep a few years back.
Trying his best to appear 'respectable' but it doesn't work does it?

Try by Billy the Kid just before HT. 
He looks harmless but the bloke is a freak.
He has scored some unbelievable tries but I felt he was 'slowing down' in the last couple of years. They belt each other up every week but still keep performing.

It's more one-on-one, stop-them-in-their-tracks defensive tackling or brutal gang-tackles of up to 4 players on one unlucky bloke with the ball. In many ways it's a tougher, faster and more brutal game with only 13 on the field and less stoppages for scrums and lineouts ... only annoying stoppages for the blydi video ref!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 26 Oct 2013, 3:33 pm

Pitch is cutting up as per...wonder how the League lads will cope with that.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next