The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership - Round 5 Preview

+25
lostinwales
Rugby Fan
Sgt_Pooly
Hound of Harrow
nathan
maverickmak
Hood83
Scrumpy
Cumbrian
ChequeredJersey
HammerofThunor
Bathite
tooboredtowork
propdavid_london
Geordie
Bathman_in_London
beshocked
doctor_grey
HongKongCherry
formerly known as Sam
Ozzy3213
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
stnick88
yappysnap
LondonTiger
29 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 5 Preview - Page 5 Empty Aviva Premiership - Round 5 Preview

Post by LondonTiger Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well we arrive at the last round before the short break for European matches with Dean Richards self-proclaimed "Top 3" ensconced at the top of the table, while Worcester are the only side yet to win a match:

Table:

Friday 4th October 2013

Sale v Bath 19:45 BT Sports
The round starts with 4th placed Bath facing a Sale team that have been a little bit Jekyl and Hyde this season. Neither side feature in the top Tier European tournament this season, so we can expect them to be naming the best available teams available to them. With Nick McLeod still injured we should expect the latest FH wunderkind, George Ford, to be facing up to a predecessor in Danny Cipriani. Gnarly Bath forwards like Paul James, Dave Attwood and Rob Webber have been in the press this week talking up ford's England potential and talking about how bossy and mature he is as he directs the game. You do wonder sometimes just how much respect the forwards Cips has played with have for him?
Bath have a high profile and very strong front 5, though there are injury worries in the second row - which could see MattGarvey moving from the back row to the position many want to see him play for England. There will also be injury concerns at Full Back, with Anthony Watson leaving early last week.
While Bath have the high profile forwards, the Sale pack are well drilled by Steve Diamond. They certainly have thw wherewithall to make life difficult for Bath.
On top form Bath should win. however if they are even an ounce away from that Sale will push them all the way and would be confident of sneaking the win that would move them even further away from the relegation worries.

Saturday 5th October 2013

London Irish v Harlequins 15:00
Perhaps the last thing a struggling London Irish team needed was the arrival of a wounded animal like the Harlequins. COS was already a touch defensive when asked about Deano's comments and defeat to Sarries will have hurt the whole team. Harlequins cannot afford to even think about the HEC, as defeat in Reading would probably see them move into the bottom half of the table.
So far this season, Quins have struggled to express themselves when they have been roughed up by the physical sides they have faced (Saints and Sarries). London Irish surely have to try and do the same - but I am not sure they have the players to do that. Instead they will be looking to keep the tempo high and let the game flow - usually something that plays right into Quins hands.
I am struggling to see LI getting much from this fixture.

Saracens v London Wasps 15:00
Sarries perfect start to the season was dented, but only slightly, as Quins deprived them of a TBP. This season Sarries have cranked up the physical side of their game (especially with the arrival of Billy Vunipola) but have also started to score tries. They seem to have realised that a strong defence only gets you so far. Will Sarries look at resting some key players before next weeks visit to Western Ireland? They may feel that in the pack they can afford to do so, but having been shocked by Wasps towards the end of last season they will want revenge.
Wasps fans will have been glad to see Elliot Daly playing again, but a little disheartened at Andy Goode's failings from the kicking tee. They surely cannot compete with Sarries up front, so will need to take every chance that comes there way. While goalkicking has been a worry, in Christian Wade they have a man who can create tries from nothing. the pace of Varndell is unlikely to be available on the other wing.
I suspect Sarries will secure another 5pt victory.

Worcester v Newcastle 15:00
While it is still too early in the season for this to be a relegation decider - Worcester simply cannot afford to enter the Euro-break with another defeat. Dean ryan has been talking up Chris Pennell this week and the least exotic member of the Warrior's backline has certainly been their standout performer so far this season. However it is unlikely to be the form of the full-backs that decides this bottom of the table encounter.
Neither side has looked capable of scoring lots of points this season, with just 37pts scored Falcons are the only side to have scored fewer points than the Warriors. This means that defence, discipline and precision will be key. As far as defence goes, Worcester are shipping 30pts per match. As to precision - well it seems that the Falcons hookers could not hit the proverbial barn door.
Worcester simply have to win, and that desire should just see them home.

Leicester v Northampton 15:15   BT Sports
As usual, the East Midlands derby will be on live TV. Saints travel to Welford Rd in good form, but on the back of a long losing streak to their neighbours. The first sell-out crowd will hope to see another intense and exciting match from these two "old friends". Before last season's final, I bemoaned the lack of passion in these fixtures since the Clark/Hawkins incident. That final however shattered any illusions that this is just another fixture. Richard Cockerill is still on the naughty step, as Paul Burke leads Tigers to what I hope will be another convincing win.
The scrum battle will be interesting, and from my seat in the stand I will also be concentrating on what happens to Flood after he has played the ball. He is a very brave young man, but is starting to look a little fragile as teams seek to rough him up. sometimes it is right on the limits of legality, other times players are going well beyond - but the intent is there - opposition are looking to hurt him. Following his 1 match ban following a red card on Monday, Ryan Lamb will be unable to make an appearance against his most recent former team. something Tigers fans will probably be pleased about.
shoudl be a titanic struggle - but I see no reason to believe that Tigers will not do well.

Sunday 6th October 2013

Gloucester v Exeter 14:00 BT Sports
Gloucester's woes in the front 5 continue with further injuries to key players and now a 4 week suspension for Koree Britton. England fans will be desperate to see Ben Morgan appear and play well, while I am hoping we may actually get a chance to see Kvesic playing at openside. Odd sare though that Kalamafoni will start at 8 and Kvesic will be the 6.
It took Exeter 20 minutes to start playing last Sunday - and that is always a bad idea against the champions. They had some high scoring matches against Glaws last season, and BT will be hoping it is a free flowing game after a couple of more physical showings on their new Sports channel. Exeter have the ability to win, and will surely get a rocket up the arse from rob Baxter. thing is though they were let down by basic skills in the second half last Sunday. so many opportunities wasted by an inability to pass to a man or catch the ball.

Last edited by LondonTiger on Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 5 Preview - Page 5 Empty Re: Aviva Premiership - Round 5 Preview

Post by Geordie Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:44 am

Interesting that of our match day squad for Worcester...11 were Falcons academy players. Pretty impressive going....shows the route we are going...after Alan Tait took us down a very different route...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 5 Preview - Page 5 Empty Re: Aviva Premiership - Round 5 Preview

Post by HammerofThunor Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:49 am

Sounds like Richards is doing what did at Quins. Which is promising.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:54 am

Very much so...

On a sadder note...i didnt see the game, but the falcons board is getting very heated....fans are apparently furious that Chris Pennell twice blatantly dived, once trying to get a penalty try.

I havent seen it, ill look tonight, but i hope this is not the case....we dont need that coming in to this game of ours....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:39 am

I heard that as well GF, odd from Pennell as he's a good pro and a top player.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:00 pm

The radio commentary weren't impressed with his willingness to go to ground either.

It is odd though, I've always thought Pennell is a good player. He is unlucky to be playing an era when England is blessed with a number of good fullbacks. If he was round in the leaner years I could see him getting capped.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:05 pm

Pennell, diving? You see it? Diving is a big allegation. What happened?
Hope its wrong....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:28 pm

Well as i said above Dr, i need to see it myself, but all corners seem to suggest it was pretty blatant. Twice!

Ill check it tonight...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5