The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals

+47
TheLittleScot
nth
teh_Dingmeister
TheMildlyFranticLlama
alive555
BigGee
Notch
jimbopip
A Simply Mesmeric Try
poddy89
EWT Spoons
R!skysports
Ozzy3213
Solid8
SirBurger
highland_scot
nickj
Dorothy_Mantooth
aucklandlaurie
Tattie Scones RRN
RuggerRadge2611
Biltong
MacKnocked-on
Tramptastic
Pat_Mustard
profitius
Manky-Flanker
VietGwentRevisited
madmaccas
cakeordeath
21st Century Schizoid Man
whocares
TJ
tigertattie
GLove39
alexgmacdonald
reallybored
RDW
Majestic83
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
IanBru
George Carlin
beshocked
funnyExiledScot
Captain_Sensible
bsando
51 posters

Page 7 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 21  Next

Go down

Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals - Page 7 Empty Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals

Post by bsando Wed 02 Oct 2013, 1:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Right let's get down to business shall we?!

9/11/13
Scotland vs Japan
KO - 2.30pm

17/11/13
Scotland vs South Africa
KO - 3pm

23/11/13
Scotland vs Australia
KO - 6pm

First of all, the schedule for these three matches is super. Unlike last few years, Scotland will play a less formidable team first before two tough matches against SA and Aus. SA are on a roll at the moment and will be a good, stern test for Scotland before Australia. Injuries may be an issue however as we saw in the summer.

If Scotland beat Australia that will make it 3 wins in a row vs the Wallabies which would be a fantastic achievement. But obviously wins over any of these three teams will be great.

Players

Backs M Bennett (Glasgow), C Cusiter (Glasgow), De Luca (Edinburgh), A Dunbar (Glasgow), M Evans (Castres), T Heathcote (Bath), R Jackson (Glasgow), S Lamont (Glasgow), G Laidlaw (Edinburgh), S Maitland (Glasgow), H Pyrgos (Glasgow), M Scott (Edinburgh), T Seymour (Glasgow), D Taylor (Saracens), G Tonks (Edinburgh), T Visser (Edinburgh), D Weir (Glasgow).
Forwards J Barclay (Scarlets), J Beattie (Montpellier), K Brown (Saracens), B Cowan (London Irish), G Cross (Edinburgh), D Denton (Edinburgh), A Dickinson (Edinburgh), R Ford (Edinburgh), C Fusaro (Glasgow), G Gilchrist (Edinburgh) R Grant (Glasgow), J Gray (Glasgow), R Gray (Castres), J Hamilton (Montpellier), R Harley (Glasgow), A Kellock (Glasgow), S Lawson (Newcastle), K Low (London Irish), M Low (Glasgow), P MacArthur (Glasgow), E Murray (Worcester), A Strokosch (Perpignan), T Swinson (Glasgow), J Welsh (Glasgow)

*Sorry for not updating this sooner. My girlfriend and I broke up a few weeks ago after four and a half years, three living together. I've been in a pretty bad place. However, I'm getting better and looking forward to these games so I'll continue to contribute when I can Wink

Last edited by bsando on Wed 30 Oct 2013, 3:05 pm; edited 3 times in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals - Page 7 Empty Re: Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals

Post by RDW Wed 23 Oct 2013, 1:45 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
IanBru wrote:I hear also that Matt Scott will be at the training camp.

I know, isn't it fantastic?
Is he the guy that plays 12?
Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals - Page 7 Deadhorse

Guys that horse ain't gonna get any deader.....
I'm stealing that one!

On Tonks, he hasn't played much this season due to injury so I'd have Maitland at 15
Well I've managed to find a use for the horse emoticon, and funnily enough it involves Edinburgh!

https://www.606v2.com/t49045-edinburgh-v-treviso#2350076

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals - Page 7 Empty Re: Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals

Post by tigertattie Wed 23 Oct 2013, 3:29 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
On Tonks, he hasn't played much this season due to injury so I'd have Maitland at 15
Southwell?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Wed 23 Oct 2013, 3:47 pm

tigertattie wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
Southwell?
Wash your mouth out, sir.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 23 Oct 2013, 3:54 pm

tigertattie wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
Southwell?
Sad boxing

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 23 Oct 2013, 4:09 pm

tigertattie wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
Southwell?
vomit

I would rather have Cuthbert! Although in his defence he has looked quite capable (for Edinburgh anyway) thusfar.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 23 Oct 2013, 4:22 pm

I have to say I am looking forward to this.  We have the talent in the squad - its just a shame Cotter is not with us yet and we have Johnson in charge

japan first - a good test but a team we should beat.  Mainly a first choice team with fringe players on the subs bench to come on later

SA - we know we match them.   Time to get real and take the game to them

Aus - well they might just have a bit of trepidation having lost to us twice.  Time to show what we are really made of and go for the win.

This is a good as its going to be for the Scots.  We have a group of young talented players, no huge weaknesses bar perhpas 10.  The players have got some experience - few guys to be blooded.  Many of them know what its like top beat SH sides and should not be beaten before leaving the changing room as has happened in the past.  It time to stand up and show the world who we are Braveheart Its time to start climbing up the rankings

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 23 Oct 2013, 4:46 pm

Japan are beatable but if we take them too lightly then it could be us that look silly!

SA is going to be a tough old test. It will come down to how we play. If we take on the Bokke at their own game then its curtins for us. But we can beat them if we play smart!

As for Oz! Well, they are as erratic as we are! 50/50 call this one I say!

Really hope we start building for the next world cup and get some of these youngsters accustomed to international rugby!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 23 Oct 2013, 4:59 pm

TJ wrote:I have to say I am looking forward to this.  We have the talent in the squad - its just a shame Cotter is not with us yet and we have Johnson in charge

japan first - a good test but a team we should beat.  Mainly a first choice team with fringe players on the subs bench to come on later

SA - we know we match them.   Time to get real and take the game to them

Aus - well they might just have a bit of trepidation having lost to us twice.  Time to show what we are really made of and go for the win.

This is a good as its going to be for the Scots.  We have a group of young talented players, no huge weaknesses bar perhpas 10.  The players have got some experience - few guys to be blooded.  Many of them know what its like top beat SH sides and should not be beaten before leaving the changing room as has happened in the past.  It time to stand up and show the world who we are Braveheart Its time to start climbing up the rankings
I'd to throw a dose of reality on that, TJ, if I may - other areas of weakness (comparative, on international stage) could include tighthead prop, openside flanker, left wing?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 23 Oct 2013, 5:00 pm

Oh I agree we cannot take Japan lightly - but its nice to have the lowest ranked team first to get the rust outof the way. I'd liker to stasrt the game with the first team but to have some of the youngsters / fringe guys on the bench to give them a run out hopefully one the game is won. Ickle Jonny. Bennet, those sort of guys

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 23 Oct 2013, 5:01 pm

Asbo - aye - I'll accept that - but compared to previous Scotland teams?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 23 Oct 2013, 5:04 pm

Who is going to be captain? Brown? Laidlaw? Laidlaw really looked back to his best in the HC games - I loved the way he made a fool out of the number 8 even stripping the ball from him

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Wed 23 Oct 2013, 5:05 pm

Regarding the Japan game, I am absolutely sick of Scotland sides raising their game against the big teams and looking like they don't care against the so called smaller sides. If I was Johnson I would be letting the squad know this is absolutely unacceptable. I would pick a strong side against Japan with maybe one or two fringe players, and tell them they will play with the same intensity they showed against SA in the summer, for the full 80 minutes, regardless of the opposition or the scoreboard. And I would tell them anyone who fails to do so will not be selected the following week. And I would be absolutely prepared to follow through on that threat even for those seen as first choice.

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 23 Oct 2013, 5:28 pm

Tell you what, we're in a pretty good position if we can count left wing as a position of weakness, if we've only got the Celtic league top try scorer for the last 3 seasons!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 23 Oct 2013, 6:01 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Tell you what, we're in a pretty good position if we can count left wing as a position of weakness, if we've only got the Celtic league top try scorer for the last 3 seasons!
I quite agree. I remember the days of James McLaren and Andy Henderson wearing the 11 jersey. Believe me, Tim Visser is a massive step up, and Sean Lamont is hardly a bad back-up player!

Our weakest position is tighthead, closely followed by stand-off. We have options in both, but are short of consistent class and depth in either position. The current starters (in my opinion) are Jon Welsh and Rhuriadh Jackson. Our 6 Nations competitors have far better players starting in those positions (excluding Italy at stand-off).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 24 Oct 2013, 8:57 am

Pat_Mustard wrote:Regarding the Japan game, I am absolutely sick of Scotland sides raising their game against the big teams and looking like they don't care against the so called smaller sides. If I was Johnson I would be letting the squad know this is absolutely unacceptable. I would pick a strong side against Japan with maybe one or two fringe players, and tell them they will play with the same intensity they showed against SA in the summer, for the full 80 minutes, regardless of the opposition or the scoreboard. And I would tell them anyone who fails to do so will not be selected the following week. And I would be absolutely prepared to follow through on that threat even for those seen as first choice.
Absolutely spot on comment.

All the top sides (bar Wales) would show no mercy against Japan and put 40+ points on them.....we should be no different. None of this 17-9 sh1te....If we don't score more than 40 points and keep Japan into single figures it will be extremely disappointing. I don't buy this 'there's no easy games in the international arena' nonsense....maybe against a top 8 side but anything else should be comprehensive.

The mental attitude of Australia and SA would quadruple if we were to scrape past Japan, but if they see us score 6-7 tries, it might  make them think we're a bit useful.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 24 Oct 2013, 9:18 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:On a similar note, I stole this emoticon from GC - need to find a use for it now!

Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals - Page 7 Cancan10
You just need a trip to the Moulin Rouge or a San Francisco Pride Parade.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 24 Oct 2013, 9:30 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Tell you what, we're in a pretty good position if we can count left wing as a position of weakness, if we've only got the Celtic league top try scorer for the last 3 seasons!
I quite agree. I remember the days of James McLaren and Andy Henderson wearing the 11 jersey. Believe me, Tim Visser is a massive step up, and Sean Lamont is hardly a bad back-up player!

Our weakest position is tighthead, closely followed by stand-off. We have options in both, but are short of consistent class and depth in either position. The current starters (in my opinion) are Jon Welsh and Rhuriadh Jackson. Our 6 Nations competitors have far better players starting in those positions (excluding Italy at stand-off).
You MFLs won't like it, but I'd play Lamont ahead of Visser right now. OK, MacVisser is a superb finisher, but I swear his defence is actually getting worse, not better - he was appalling in D against Perpignan. I'd be tempted to take him to one-side and have him schooled one-on-one in a defence masterclass, and put him on a diet of harden-the-feic-up. If he scores two and let's two tries in, then he's not much use tbh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 24 Oct 2013, 9:48 am

I wouldn't play Lamont - we need speed out wide. If Hoggy was fit then visser goes on the bench with Maitland on the wing. But if Maitland goes to full back then wings are a bit threadbare. Lamont on the bench to cover centre and wing?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 24 Oct 2013, 9:56 am

Grant, MacArthur, Welsh
Gray Snr, Swinson,
Brown (c), Denton, Barclay
Laidlaw
Jackson
Visser, Scott, Bennett, Lamont
Maitland

is the team I'd go for for Japan.

Bench would be Dickinson, Ford, Murray/Cross, Gray Jnr, Harley, Cusiter, Weir, Seymour.

Decent mix of experience and youth. The only concern I'd have is if Maitland crocked himself early on, leaving either Seymour or Lamont at fullback. Good enough for Japan, perhaps.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 24 Oct 2013, 9:57 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

You MFLs won't like it, but I'd play Lamont ahead of Visser right now.  OK, MacVisser is a superb finisher, but I swear his defence is actually getting worse, not better - he was appalling in D against Perpignan.  I'd be tempted to take him to one-side and have him schooled one-on-one in a defence masterclass, and put him on a diet of harden-the-feic-up.  If he scores two and let's two tries in, then he's not much use tbh
I’d have to disagree with you there, against Munster his defence was actually pretty decent.  He made a couple of good tackles and actually cleared out a couple of players.

Now granted it wasn’t anything more than you would expect, but it’s the first time in a while I’d see him tackle so well.  I honestly thought that day he’d  turned a corner in his defensive duties.

Granted the Perpignan kick chase was just embarrassing, but I wouldn’t say he’s getting worse.  He’s not necessarily getting better mind you.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:07 am

Also Lamont hasn’t exactly been setting the heather on fire this season, and hasn’t played much recently. Visser on 5 tries now I think too, which is almost one a game for him.

Lamont on the bench IMO

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:12 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Also Lamont hasn’t exactly been setting the heather on fire this season, and hasn’t played much recently.  Visser on 5 tries now I think too, which is almost one a game for him.

Lamont on the bench IMO
Eh? He's been Glasgow's best back three player! Big runs, big carries, big tackles, big work rate.He's been on a great run of form since the summer tour.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:14 am

True he's played well in some of the games, but he's not played for weeks!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:14 am

I agree he is a decent player and no one in world rugby tries harder or does so much with so little talent. However IMO he simply does not have the needed pace - we need speedsters on the wings.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:15 am

Nice to have a little bit of choice tho. Whats the view on Seymour?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:21 am

Seymour starts on the right wing IMO – good pace, athleticism and skills. Plus he did really well against SA in the Autumn

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:22 am

TJ wrote:Nice to have a little bit of choice tho.  Whats the view on Seymour?
He's played well this season. I'd be happy to see him in the starting XV, it's a pretty equal toss up between him and Lamont in my view.

When it comes to Lamont, don't forget that it really helps to have a big bruiser in the backline that can carry ball and make hard yards. Look at how much England struggle without Tuilagi. It's true Lamont's not particularly quick, but he's put Glasgow on the front foot time and again over the last two seasons, and made space for other outside backs. He's also a very good defender. We ignore him at our peril.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:24 am

I'd also bring in Lamont against SA - as CS says, we could do with his physicality

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:25 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:

You MFLs won't like it, but I'd play Lamont ahead of Visser right now.  OK, MacVisser is a superb finisher, but I swear his defence is actually getting worse, not better - he was appalling in D against Perpignan.  I'd be tempted to take him to one-side and have him schooled one-on-one in a defence masterclass, and put him on a diet of harden-the-feic-up.  If he scores two and let's two tries in, then he's not much use tbh
Don't be so sure, unless I don't qualify as a MFL?! Wink I don't live in the area after all.

Gotta be honest though Visser's tackling is not what I would expect from him. It's not a physical thing like it was with Shane Williams for Wales. It's the fact he is a coward and not willing to put in his tackles and as a result far more concerning.

I like Visser's try record but we cannot continue to ignore the elephant in the room in terms of his inability to tackle.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:27 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:True he's played well in some of the games, but he's not played for weeks!
He's been injured Headscratch

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:29 am

Uh hu, so is lacking match fitness, whereas Visser has been playing in big games recently and scoring tries.

Will Shlong even be back this weekend?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:31 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Don't be so sure, unless I don't qualify as a MFL?! Wink I don't live in the area after all.

Gotta be honest though Visser's tackling is not what I would expect from him. It's not a physical thing like it was with Shane Williams for Wales. It's the fact he is a coward and not willing to put in his tackles and as a result far more concerning.

I like Visser's try record but we cannot continue to ignore the elephant in the room in terms of his inability to tackle.
Thank you, Radge OK Exackery - his positioning is generally poor, but his commitment is non-existent - we can continue to ignore if yous all like, at your peril I would suggest, but his poor positioning will be pulling other players out of line as they know it's likely they'll have to cover for him - this adds weakness to our overall defensive effort imo. He does take scoring chances better than almost anyone else we have admittedly, but is that enough?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:31 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Uh hu, so is lacking match fitness, whereas Visser has been playing in big games recently and scoring tries.

Yes, according to Toonie.

Just to be clear, I wouldn't play Lamont instead of Visser - I'd play him and Visser, and have a back three player covering from the bench.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:32 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Uh hu, so is lacking match fitness, whereas Visser has been playing in big games recently and scoring tries.

He's been out, what, three weeks, after a full pre-season and the first three games? I wouldn't worry about it. Comments re Visser and being realistic about what he offers stand OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:34 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Thank you, Radge OK Exackery - his positioning is generally poor, but his commitment is non-existent - we can continue to ignore if yous all like, at your peril I would suggest, but his poor positioning will be pulling other players out of line as they know it's likely they'll have to cover for him - this adds weakness to our overall defensive effort imo.  He does take scoring chances better than almost anyone else we have admittedly, but is that enough?
In my opinion, yes.

I can't recall any situations where Visser's poor defence has directly cost Scotland a try. I can recall many situations where Visser's talent with the ball, a talent that we are exceptionally short of in Scotland, has led to a try for Scotland. As long as his defence is half decent, which I think it is, he's too good in attack to ignore when on form and fit.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:41 am

I also think people are getting a bit carried away with Visser’s deficiencies. I’ve watched Visser a lot, and am a winger myself, and I think there really aren’t massive problems with his positioning for example. Where he is weak is in the tackle contest – which is poor. However, as has been mentioned earlier, if you take away his awful kick-chase against Perpignan then I think most Edinburgh fans would say his defence has got a lot better this season. I would go as far to say against Munster he put in a ‘strong’ defencive performance

I’m not saying he’s perfect and ignoring all his weaknesses, but I just think he is the most potent weapon we’ve got, and his weaknesses aren’t quite as bad as people make out.

I just can’t believe we’re doubtful whether to play such a prolific try scorer in a Scottish team which struggles to score tries!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:43 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I also think people are getting a bit carried away with Visser’s deficiencies.  I’ve watched Visser a lot, and am a winger myself, and I think there really aren’t massive problems with his positioning for example.  Where he is weak is in the tackle contest – which is poor.  However, as has been mentioned earlier, if you take away his awful kick-chase against Perpignan then I think most Edinburgh fans would say his defence has got a lot better this season. I would go as far to say against Munster he put in a ‘strong’ defencive performance

I’m not saying he’s perfect and ignoring all his weaknesses, but I just think he is the most potent weapon we’ve got, and his weaknesses aren’t quite as bad as people make out.

I just can’t believe we’re doubtful whether to play such a prolific try scorer in a Scottish team which struggles to score tries!
This. We've waited years for someone of Visser's calibre. It would be criminal to not use him now.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:51 am

Captain_Sensible wrote:
He's played well this season. I'd be happy to see him in the starting XV, it's a pretty equal toss up between him and Lamont in my view.

When it comes to Lamont, don't forget that it really helps to have a big bruiser in the backline that can carry ball and make hard yards. Look at how much England struggle without Tuilagi. It's true Lamont's not particularly quick, but he's put Glasgow on the front foot time and again over the last two seasons, and made space for other outside backs. He's also a very good defender. We ignore him at our peril.
Play him in the centre then?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:52 am

Re Vissers poor defence - remember Parks?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:53 am

TJ wrote:
Captain_Sensible wrote:

He doesn't have the distribution to play at centre, and his defensive positioning is better on the wing. If Dunbar plays at 13, that gives us enough carrying power to perhaps leave Lamont on the bench, but if the centre combo is Scott and Bennett then we need more grunt from somewhere.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:54 am

My god - as a long standing scotland fan being in the position of wondering who to leave out not who to include is a great place to be Smile

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:56 am

TJ wrote:My god - as a long standing scotland fan being in the position of wondering who to leave out not who to include is a great place to be Smile
Laugh 

Absolutely!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:57 am

TJ wrote:
Captain_Sensible wrote:

That would be even worse!

A. He is out of position
B. Could you see him tackling the likes of Tuilagi, De Villiers, Roberts or any of the other big inside centres he is likely to face in test match rugby this year?

Visser's problem is real and it could be a massive weakness that may be exploited by canny and astute coaches in other teams.

He really needs to be taken aside and told buck up your Ideas or we'll be giving one of the youngsters a chance.

15. Tonks
14. Maitland
11. Seymore

See if that gives him a kick up the jeer. What frustrates me most is he is a monster of a man. He should be putting anyone who runs down his channel on their erses. Instead he justs sort of flobbles around and gives them a cuddle or love tap.

He should see anyone who comes near him with the ball in hand as an player who is about to get thumped.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:59 am

Radge, have you been able to watch many of the Edinburgh games this year? He genuinely hasn’t been that bad (kick chase aside). There’s no chance in hell I’d play him in the centre though!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 24 Oct 2013, 11:00 am

I meant play Shlong in the centre

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 24 Oct 2013, 11:02 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Radge, have you been able to watch many of the Edinburgh games this year? He genuinely hasn’t been that bad (kick chase aside). There’s no chance in hell I’d play him in the centre though!
Do you not agree that a guy of his size and athletic ability should strike fear into the hearts of the opposition?

There is a difference betwen "not being that bad" and not doing what he is capable of. Laidlaw is about a foot shorter and 6st lighter and he puts in a better shift without the ball than Visser!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 24 Oct 2013, 11:02 am

TJ wrote:I meant play Shlong Vernon in the centre
Surely that's what you meant?

Run 

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 24 Oct 2013, 11:03 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Radge, have you been able to watch many of the Edinburgh games this year? He genuinely hasn’t been that bad (kick chase aside). There’s no chance in hell I’d play him in the centre though!
Do you not agree that a guy of his size and athletic ability should strike fear into the hearts of the opposition?

There is a difference betwen "not being that bad" and not doing what he is capable of. Laidlaw is about a foot shorter and 6st lighter and he puts in a better shift without the ball than Visser!
Yes, but as a winger being 'not bad' is good enough, especially if he brings considerable advantages in an attacking sense.

He should be dominating people, but it is not what he is in the team to do.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 24 Oct 2013, 11:09 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

Yes, but as a winger being 'not bad' is good enough, especially if he brings considerable advantages in an attacking sense.

He should be dominating people, but it is not what he is in the team to do.
I don't care about what he is in the team to do; I care about what he can do. It's laziness, cowardice or complacency that means he can go AWOL in defence.

Complacency: He thinks that he is a good enough scorer to overlook his defensive frailties.

Cowardice: He doesn’t fancy the contact, I don’t know if I buy this since he has no problem making contact with the ball in hand.

Laziness: He seems to be in the right place when going forward to catch a decisive pass but never seems to be positioned quite right in defence.

It's a good position to be in debating like this but you can't seriously think Visser is fulfilling his potential as a player by wussing out of making his hits.

TJ wrote:I meant play Shlong in the centre
I thought we were past the days of playing Lamont at 13.... I'd sooner see him on the flanks than in the centre again. He just doesn't have the distribution skills to play at centre.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 24 Oct 2013, 11:12 am

Radge I'm in agreement with you generally, but don't think it should stop him being picked on the wing, due to his significant abilities in attack.

I do think however as long as he makes his tackles it is not a big deal - yes he should be smashing people, but that shouldn't stop him earning his place.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 21  Next