The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals

+47
TheLittleScot
nth
teh_Dingmeister
TheMildlyFranticLlama
alive555
BigGee
Notch
jimbopip
A Simply Mesmeric Try
poddy89
EWT Spoons
R!skysports
Ozzy3213
Solid8
SirBurger
highland_scot
nickj
Dorothy_Mantooth
aucklandlaurie
Tattie Scones RRN
RuggerRadge2611
Biltong
MacKnocked-on
Tramptastic
Pat_Mustard
profitius
Manky-Flanker
VietGwentRevisited
madmaccas
cakeordeath
21st Century Schizoid Man
whocares
TJ
tigertattie
GLove39
alexgmacdonald
reallybored
RDW
Majestic83
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
IanBru
George Carlin
beshocked
funnyExiledScot
Captain_Sensible
bsando
51 posters

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals - Page 16 Empty Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals

Post by bsando Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Right let's get down to business shall we?!

9/11/13
Scotland vs Japan
KO - 2.30pm

17/11/13
Scotland vs South Africa
KO - 3pm

23/11/13
Scotland vs Australia
KO - 6pm

First of all, the schedule for these three matches is super. Unlike last few years, Scotland will play a less formidable team first before two tough matches against SA and Aus. SA are on a roll at the moment and will be a good, stern test for Scotland before Australia. Injuries may be an issue however as we saw in the summer.

If Scotland beat Australia that will make it 3 wins in a row vs the Wallabies which would be a fantastic achievement. But obviously wins over any of these three teams will be great.

Players

Backs M Bennett (Glasgow), C Cusiter (Glasgow), De Luca (Edinburgh), A Dunbar (Glasgow), M Evans (Castres), T Heathcote (Bath), R Jackson (Glasgow), S Lamont (Glasgow), G Laidlaw (Edinburgh), S Maitland (Glasgow), H Pyrgos (Glasgow), M Scott (Edinburgh), T Seymour (Glasgow), D Taylor (Saracens), G Tonks (Edinburgh), T Visser (Edinburgh), D Weir (Glasgow).
Forwards J Barclay (Scarlets), J Beattie (Montpellier), K Brown (Saracens), B Cowan (London Irish), G Cross (Edinburgh), D Denton (Edinburgh), A Dickinson (Edinburgh), R Ford (Edinburgh), C Fusaro (Glasgow), G Gilchrist (Edinburgh) R Grant (Glasgow), J Gray (Glasgow), R Gray (Castres), J Hamilton (Montpellier), R Harley (Glasgow), A Kellock (Glasgow), S Lawson (Newcastle), K Low (London Irish), M Low (Glasgow), P MacArthur (Glasgow), E Murray (Worcester), A Strokosch (Perpignan), T Swinson (Glasgow), J Welsh (Glasgow)

*Sorry for not updating this sooner. My girlfriend and I broke up a few weeks ago after four and a half years, three living together. I've been in a pretty bad place. However, I'm getting better and looking forward to these games so I'll continue to contribute when I can Wink

Last edited by bsando on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:05 pm; edited 3 times in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals - Page 16 Empty Re: Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals

Post by RDW Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:41 pm

reallybored wrote:Read the Tommy Allan interview, fair enough from the lad if he feels Italian, best of luck to him.
If he felt so Italian why did he play for all of Scotland's age group teams!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals - Page 16 Empty Re: Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:51 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
reallybored wrote:Read the Tommy Allan interview, fair enough from the lad if he feels Italian, best of luck to him.

Maybe he changed his mind, a bit like Sean Maitland

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:54 pm

Maitland didn't say he'd felt Scottish all along though - he admitted he wasn't getting anywhere with nz so moved to Scotland!

Not great for Allan to say he's always felt Italian if he played for Scotland youth teams

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:03 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Maitland didn't say he'd felt Scottish all along though - he admitted he wasn't getting anywhere with nz so moved to Scotland!

Not great for Allan to say he's always felt Italian if he played for Scotland youth teams

Agreed, then its nothing like Maitland.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:43 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Lovely to see new posters here. Why lurk when you can sledge in person?

Mind you, the Scots posters here already the funniest and best looking on these boards, so I'm not sure that it's really fair on everyone else for there to be any more of us.

PS - I support both the mighty Weedge and the Pimms-quaffing, weak chinned, Hacket wearing, tramless, uptight Edinburgh team also. 50:50 really.
Apart from fES you mean, GC?
Sad 

It's true, I've never quite managed to top that hilarious "Mark Bennett for Scotland" joke you told a few years ago.....
Laugh
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:56 pm

Well BigGee and Ineffable better get with the programme and damn quickly too. Who is going to explain MFLs to them ? Best it is Jimbo as he invented it. Are they aware of the difference between His Holiness and angel. More stuff to keep them thinking and guessing. Better warn them about that mad but friendly Irish fella Gibbo over in Amsterdam too. And ASBOs split personality too - gulp ! Lot to learn, so little time....... 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:07 pm

Don't worry Schiz Bennett is still just a very (talented) naughty boy until he scores a hatrick for Scotland.

Solid8, I haven't played rugby in, quite literally, about a decade, so I'm literally popping down to my local squad to run about for an hour and duly feel out of breath and like this isn't for me ... but come back the next week anyway. That club would be Southwark, not a clue how nice the lads or the coach are but will find out and willing to search around if they're not my thing ! I see the 3rd team are bottom of their respective league so at least there's nothing to lose when I make a run for them, get passed the ball only once in 80 minutes and drop it anyway.

All I can say about this coming Saturday is I hope to god we aren't green like the last two times we came out and played for Scotland after an international break.

And I hope that Laidlaw has learned to trust Jackson and the rest of the backline. I think Laidlaw is our best scrummy but he doesn't need to box kick quite literally 50% of ruck ball.

I remember Edinburgh playing in the HC 2 years back - they ran almost everything from anywhere and made yards every time. I think this is - strangely - how the Scotland squad is more suited to play. I remember also a few years ago that being a pretty effective strategy with Parks at the helm. I honest hope to god that Laidlaw et al stick to that, esp against Japan.

by the way who's the captain? Brown?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:08 pm

PS nobody can explain the MFLs. They and their woeful defence (no matter if it's a match they won) boggle my mind every time they play.

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:14 pm

Ineff- you are a Weegie my son. Let all that MFL angst pass you by and dream of Bluto Strauss smashing them like skittles on 26/12 and 1/1. Wah-heyyyyyy Yahoo 

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:00 am

Ineffable, I seriously hope they don't try play like that.

Territory is king.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:21 am

Ok ok ok. Time for some much needed realism on here

I agree, we the Scottish posters are the funniest on these boards. That's not nessesarily funny ha ha. It may be funny hmmmmmmm

However. In no way are we the best looking. Jebus, George Carlin alone reduces our average hotness levels without even considering what GLove and 'shudder' ASBO 'shudder' do to it!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:40 am

tigertattie wrote:Ok ok ok. Time for some much needed realism on here

I agree, we the Scottish posters are the funniest on these boards. That's not nessesarily funny ha ha. It may be funny hmmmmmmm

However. In no way are we the best looking. Jebus, George Carlin alone reduces our average hotness levels without even considering what GLove and 'shudder' ASBO 'shudder' do to it!!!
Can someone tell me a way to get the image of those three out my head please....

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:40 am

Now, now, tattie, some people have beauty on the inside!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Solid8 Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:30 am

Ineffable wrote:Don't worry Schiz Bennett is still just a very (talented) naughty boy until he scores a hatrick for Scotland.

Solid8, I haven't played rugby in, quite literally, about a decade, so I'm literally popping down to my local squad to run about for an hour and duly feel out of breath and like this isn't for me ... but come back the next week anyway. That club would be Southwark, not a clue how nice the lads or the coach are but will find out and willing to search around if they're not my thing ! I see the 3rd team are bottom of their respective league so at least there's nothing to lose when I make a run for them, get passed the ball only once in 80 minutes and drop it anyway.

All I can say about this coming Saturday is I hope to god we aren't green like the last two times we came out and played for Scotland after an international break.

And I hope that Laidlaw has learned to trust Jackson and the rest of the backline. I think Laidlaw is our best scrummy but he doesn't need to box kick quite literally 50% of ruck ball.

I remember Edinburgh playing in the HC 2 years back - they ran almost everything from anywhere and made yards every time. I think this is - strangely - how the Scotland squad is more suited to play. I remember also a few years ago that being a pretty effective strategy with Parks at the helm. I honest hope to god that Laidlaw et al stick to that, esp against Japan.

by the way who's the captain? Brown?
Fair play to you. After the last world cup having lost my voice shouting at the telly too many times I turned up at my local club, Chiswick, and started playing for the first time in over ten years, I haven't looked back. It may take you a little time to get used to the knocks but you should have fun.

Solid8

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:25 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Well BigGee and Ineffable better get with the programme and damn quickly too.   Who is going to explain MFLs to them ?   Best it is Jimbo as he invented it.    Are they aware of the difference between His Holiness and angel.    More stuff to keep them thinking and guessing.    Better warn them about that mad but friendly Irish fella Gibbo over in Amsterdam too.    And ASBOs split personality too - gulp !    Lot to learn, so little time....... 
Don't worry. I have been lurking around for long enough to have got the gist! The rest i will just pick up as I go along!

I actually used to follow the old forum when it was on the BBC website. I lost track when it closed down and then stumbled back accross this again. I have looked at a few other forums but to me this one seems the best around even if the sledging gets a bit carried away at times, particularly around international rivilaries. That happens on all forums though and even with people using email at work. There is something about sitting in front of a computer that liberates and emboldens people!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:58 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Ineff- you are a Weegie my son. Let all that MFL angst pass you by and dream of Bluto Strauss smashing them like skittles on 26/12 and 1/1.   Wah-heyyyyyy Yahoo 
I'm not worried about Strauss - yesterdays news. Cornel Du Preez is where it's at. We'll have to dig around in his back pocket to find Strauss on 26/12 and 1/1.

boxing 

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:24 pm

Now, now, tattie, some people have beauty on the inside!
I was led to believe that trying to imitate a ginger wolverine would be a hot look!Sad 

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:40 pm

IanBru wrote:BigGee and Ineffable, welcome, brothers!  You’ll find that the Scottish guys on here are, in fact, awesome in every way. Just don’t mention Mark Bennett, Tim Visser’s defence, Glaswegian hygiene, Andy Robinson (who I was a fan of…), or the benefits of a fully integrated transport network. I’m serious - steer clear of the trams.

It’s also great that you’re posting now too, and it makes me wonder how many other tortured geniuses there are on here, reluctant to speak up.

Come out, my children, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR!

Anyway, on accents, I grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio and then deepest, darkest Surrey with very Scottish parents. I then moved to Glasgow last year, so I now sound like a mix of Gerard Butler, Will Carling and Raymond ‘Rainman’ Babbitt. Not good at all.

I’m a bit like you - certainly before I moved up here, I supported both Scottish teams pretty much equally. I probably preferred Glasgow (i.e. I’d support them in the 1872 Cup), but it was nothing serious. Since I’ve become an adopted Glaswegian, particularly as regular at Glasgow games, I’ve quickly felt much more involved in the club and its culture. Still, I remember crying like a little girl when Edinburgh beat Toulouse. Like a little blubbering girl.
Ah go on then! I've also been a bit of a long time lurker, now bravely venturing out from behind safe cover. I'm 'lucky' enough to be an Edinburgh fan (hence the username obviously!) as well as a Northampton Saints fan since I'm stuck living down South for now. I also play for a local team so might have to join in the 'Your match' discussions. Normally a scrum half but got put on the wing for one match and scored a try so I like to think I'm basically Niko but without the talent or insanity (i'll also not mention we won 90-0 against 14 men....)

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:06 pm

Frantic, welcome to the gathering. Niko without the talent or the insanity: that would make you any MFL player then.
ReallyBored "Territory is king" Then bring back Dan Parks no one does territory like the Dark Lord of Tactical Kicking. Is that what you want, Really? No, so let's run the bloody thing. Ruaridh is the future, along with off-loading centres.

On another matter; we have no nom de guerre for SJ. I was thinking (no really); overweight, beat up face, tendency to philosophise, fondness for a drink, cheerful in the face of grinding adversity. Does he have family in Govan? Is he Rab C Johnson?
Gentlemen I am beginning to think of him as the Effervescent Sage. (History tends to suggest that neither of these will stick but you manky lot will kick them around until we all agree on something...don't let me down)

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:14 pm

I was lucky enough to be invited along to the Captains run ahead of the Ireland game this year. And SJ was there giving a wee speech to the audience & he said we should all call him 'Uncle Scott'!

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:29 pm

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:
IanBru wrote:BigGee and Ineffable, welcome, brothers!  You’ll find that the Scottish guys on here are, in fact, awesome in every way. Just don’t mention Mark Bennett, Tim Visser’s defence, Glaswegian hygiene, Andy Robinson (who I was a fan of…), or the benefits of a fully integrated transport network. I’m serious - steer clear of the trams.

It’s also great that you’re posting now too, and it makes me wonder how many other tortured geniuses there are on here, reluctant to speak up.

Anyway, on accents, I grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio and then deepest, darkest Surrey with very Scottish parents. I then moved to Glasgow last year, so I now sound like a mix of Gerard Butler, Will Carling and Raymond ‘Rainman’ Babbitt. Not good at all.

I’m a bit like you - certainly before I moved up here, I supported both Scottish teams pretty much equally. I probably preferred Glasgow (i.e. I’d support them in the 1872 Cup), but it was nothing serious. Since I’ve become an adopted Glaswegian, particularly as regular at Glasgow games, I’ve quickly felt much more involved in the club and its culture. Still, I remember crying like a little girl when Edinburgh beat Toulouse. Like a little blubbering girl.
Ah go on then! I've also been a bit of a long time lurker, now bravely venturing out from behind safe cover. I'm 'lucky' enough to be an Edinburgh fan (hence the username obviously!) as well as a Northampton Saints fan since I'm stuck living down South for now. I also play for a local team so might have to join in the 'Your match' discussions. Normally a scrum half but got put on the wing for one match and scored a try so I like to think I'm basically Niko but without the talent or insanity (i'll also not mention we won 90-0 against 14 men....)
Welcome along, and top marks for working out the quote function straight away - Jimbopip has been here for ages and he still messes it up!

Also, since you're an Edinburgh fan feel free to say whatever you want to these dirty weegies and I'll make sure you don't get banned! Hug

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:35 pm

[quote="RDW_Scotland"][quote="TheMildlyFranticLlama"]

Welcome along, and top marks for working out the quote function straight away - Jimbopip has been here for ages and he still messes it up!
Deigns to talk to you. There fixed it for you.
Also, since you're an Edinburgh fan feel free to say whatever you want to these dirty weegies and I'll make sure you don't get banned! Hug
There must be some benefit to being an MFL fan, other then being transported to the reading room by sedan chair and buying your pheasant en croute at half time with doubloons.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:36 pm

Still not quite worked it out jimbopip eh?? laughing 

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:38 pm

Superb, I love all these new posters hopping out the closet - it's like a huge gay mash-up!! king 

J-pip, I'd happily go along with Rab C Johnston

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:56 pm

jimbopip wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

Deigns to talk to you. There fixed it for you.
Also, since you're an Edinburgh fan feel free to say whatever you want to these dirty weegies and I'll make sure you don't get banned! :hug
There must be some benefit to being an MFL fan, other then being transported to the reading room by sedan chair and buying your pheasant en croute at half time with doubloons.
Fixed it!!

I met my girlfriend's father and brother for the first time last weekend. We were discussing rugby, the Scotland centre pairing in particular, and I was talking about young Mr Bennett's obvious potential. Apparently, they've yet to be convinced. "Yeah, but you can see it if he plays outside the right players", says I.

"Like Matt Scott?", the father offered, continuing, "I'd prefer to give De Luca another shot."
"We support Edinburgh." the brother explained, and without thinking about it I laughed.

God help me, I laughed at them both.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:00 pm

GLove39 wrote:I was lucky enough to be invited along to the Captains run ahead of the Ireland game this year. And SJ was there giving a wee speech to the audience & he said we should all call him 'Uncle Scott'!
Bit creepy

Also hello to all the new Scottish posters, reckon the way things are going by the end of the year we'll have taken over the forum....or have more posters than fans who attend Edinburgh games, which is probably easier to achieve.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:01 pm

Good work, Bru - an appropriate and measured response Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:03 pm

Jimbo, Rab C Johnson it is!

Incidentally, Thomasso Allen di Vicenza has been picked on the bench for the Azzuri, which is good since he always felt Italian. Like, definitely Italian.

No problemo
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:03 pm

My girlfriend's dad is a game keeper - the first time a met him he was cleaning a shotgun.

I've treated her perfectly well since! Shocked 

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:16 pm

IanBru, the man who laughs.Laugh 
Sometimes a man's got to do what a man's got to do.
Reminds me of the time I tried to bond with Princessdaughter's young man. He knows nothing about rugby and supports Watford at Wendyball. I got tickets for self, himself and young Pipetto to go to Vicarage Rd for Watford-Ipswich. (On occasion I take my sons to Portman Rd) We were among the Watford fans and both of us were on our best, if slightly awkward, behaviour. All went well(ish) until in the last minute Ipswich scored the only goal of the game. I did the Glaswegian thing of jumping out of my seat, punching the air and shouting Gerrinthereyabeautyyeh. As one does. Then I realised I was the only one in that part of the ground behaving as such. Pipetto was hiding under his seat, future son-inlaw was staring in shock and bafflement and the rest of the crowd were preparing to lynch me. Oh what fun we had.
In passing the Ipswich fans serenade Norwich to the tune of The Addams Family
Your sister is your mother
Your uncle is your brother
You all Fecc one another
The Norwich family.

Which rather puts the tin lid on it.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by teh_Dingmeister Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:34 pm

Since everyone seems to be revealing themselves I thought I might as well get in on the fun...

I have introduced myself before to tumultuous applause during the warm up matches before the World Cup in 2011. Following that grand total of two posts I took a sabbatical from posting... I probably just forgot my login details...

I'm a fairly frequent lurker of 606 including back in the day when it was still on the BBC. I hope that this time my presence will be a bit lengthier than the mighty two posts I made previously which proved to be a false dawn.

As to the team.. slightly disappointing in terms of selection but as others have pointed out, it must mean that Jonny Gray and the angel see action against the Bokke or Wallabies.

teh_Dingmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:45 pm

They're all coming out the woodwork now - long may it continue!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:52 pm

I had no idea that I was about to start a stampede!

Feeling quite pleased with myself now!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:54 pm

Out of interest, what is the appeal in being a lurcker? I don’t come here to hear what other people have to say, I come here to get other people agreeing with my amazing opinions! Very Happy 

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:02 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Out of interest, what is the appeal in being a lurcker? I don’t come here to hear what other people have to say, I come here to get other people agreeing with my amazing opinions! Very Happy 
I expect many find the wit and intelligence of us Edinburgh fans rather intimidating......

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by teh_Dingmeister Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:03 pm

I am the silent observer of many rugby forums... I lurk on PR as well but part of that's because I'm not sure I'm ready to expose myself to that insanity yet.

Besides that, I just like reading other people's discussions about rugby. And sometimes I just browse to get a quick fix of information without the intention of adding my own voice to the debate.

teh_Dingmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:04 pm

IanBru wrote:

Incidentally, Thomasso Allen di Vicenza has been picked on the bench for the Azzuri, which is good since he always felt Italian. Like, definitely Italian.

No problemo
He has thrown his hat into that ring so needs to sound like he means it. I have much sympathy for him. I am Scots born to Scottish parents, but have lived most of my life in England and am married to an Italian, who has also now spent as much time over here than in her native land. My kids, if they ever showed any inclination to play international sport, could have picked any of three courntries to choose from. That is the reality of the multi-cultural world that we live in and Scotland have certainly benefitted from it in the past when picking up players and continue to do so. He has made his choice and good luck to him.

Unfortunately the reality for him is that he is no where near ready for international rugby and would be horribly found out playing against any good team. The object of this is purely to tied him down and then he will no doubt be put to one side until he has actually proved he is properly worthy of a cap. I know we did the same sort of thing with Heathcote, but he was also far more developed as a player by then and was holding down a regular first team spot with Bath. He was much much closer to being there on merit than this young man. Still that is the nature of international sport these days and I would not bear him any grudges. We will undoubtably pick up players who have played their U20 rugby elsewhere. Good luck to him and I hope he fulfils his potential.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:15 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Out of interest, what is the appeal in being a lurcker? I don’t come here to hear what other people have to say, I come here to get other people agreeing with my amazing opinions! Very Happy 
I like to hear other peoples opinions as well. As I said earlier whilst there is an awful lot of rubbish spouted on all forums, especialy around team and international loyalties, there is also a lot of very informed and insightful comment as well and I have learnt a lot, especialy about scottish rugby, which I have only really been able to follow at a distance due to my geography.

It takes a little bit of a leap of faith to join in such a conversation, you can wonder if you have anything to add or if you are going to fit in and some of the childishness has put me off at times as well and made me wonder if I did actually want to join in.

I actually started blogging on a cycling fourm first. Cycling being my other pasion and as my playing days are many years behind me, my main activity these days. In that forum there is the banter and the wit and the skill of the blogging without the national and international rivilaries obscuring things at times. This is definitely a step up and you are right, more of a bear pit at times. Hopefully I am ready for it now!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nth Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:15 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
I'm not saying what is and isn't the situation here, but isn't it often the case that players play age group rugby closer to where they are resident? If they enter the age group system whilst at school it's difficult to match the demands to travel long distance for training and matches. I think a few Scottish players whose families lived in the South played in the English age group system for instance; Tonks, Thom Evans and Heathcote off the top of my head. Also, particularly regarding Italy, would they have had suitable enough resources in the age group levels to keep an eye on foreign based possibilities and pay for their more significant travel for all training and matches?

nth

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:17 pm

I think when push came to shove he probably thought he had more chance usurping Orquera at Italy than Jackson, Weir, Heathcote and Finn Russell (just for you GC) at Scotland.

I don't mind him dressing it up as a sudden discovery of national identity, footballers do it all the time (this is my dream club I supported as a boy blah blah blah). It'll just smooth the process with his new team mates so fair play.

I also haven't seen him play yet and I don't think he's featured much for Perpignan, so we may not even be missing much. Anyway, we always have the mighty Scott Wight to fall back on, and WCP is in the form of his life (still not playing well mind) at Newcastle.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:25 pm

nth wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
I'm not saying what is and isn't the situation here, but isn't it often the case that players play age group rugby closer to where they are resident?  If they enter the age group system whilst at school it's difficult to match the demands to travel long distance for training and matches.  I think a few Scottish players whose families lived in the South played in the English age group system for instance; Tonks, Thom Evans and Heathcote off the top of my head.  Also, particularly regarding Italy, would they have had suitable enough resources in the age group levels to keep an eye on foreign based possibilities and pay for their more significant travel for all training and matches?
I'm pretty sure Tommaso Allan grew in in SA!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:56 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
nth wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
I'm not saying what is and isn't the situation here, but isn't it often the case that players play age group rugby closer to where they are resident?  If they enter the age group system whilst at school it's difficult to match the demands to travel long distance for training and matches.  I think a few Scottish players whose families lived in the South played in the English age group system for instance; Tonks, Thom Evans and Heathcote off the top of my head.  Also, particularly regarding Italy, would they have had suitable enough resources in the age group levels to keep an eye on foreign based possibilities and pay for their more significant travel for all training and matches?
Hmm, first 7 yrs in Italy, then High Wycombe, and off to South Africa as an 18-yr old, I believe?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:06 pm

personally I've always seen this forum as a good way of getting peoples opinions on how various players performed in matches etc. The sort of stuff that often isn't really covered in any real depth by match reports on places like the BBC sport website. I was put off actually joining in on here by certain posters just looking to derail every topic they can, but it seems you can avoid that by staying away from certain topics! thumbsup 

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:07 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
nth wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
Hmm, first 7 yrs in Italy, then High Wycombe, and off to South Africa as an 18-yr old, I believe?
I stand corrected. Still think he could have phrased things better though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:15 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
nth wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
I stand corrected.  Still think he could have phrased things better though.
After being very scathing about the SRU on the Tommy Allan situation having seen his interview I am less impressed with him now as a person. If he has always felt Italian then why not play for Italy u20s which is closer to South Africa distance wise from where he was traveling while playing U20s. It meant Scotland could have tried someone else in the 10 jersey during that time and not wasted the money on developing him if he had no intention of ever playing for Scotland at senior level.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:53 pm

Majestic83 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
nth wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
I stand corrected.  Still think he could have phrased things better though.
After being very scathing about the SRU on the Tommy Allan situation having seen his interview I am less impressed with him now as a person. If he has always felt Italian then why not play for Italy u20s which is closer to South Africa distance wise from where he was traveling while playing U20s. It meant Scotland could have tried someone else in the 10 jersey during that time and not wasted the money on developing him if he had no intention of ever playing for Scotland at senior level.
TBH Maj, I reckon he was given first (international) dibs by Italy and jumped in straight away. The SRU probably p1ssed about and Allen has realised he's a better chance of international rugby with Italy (as fES stated).

Good luck to the boy.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:57 pm

[quote="Majestic83After being very scathing about the SRU on the Tommy Allan situation having seen his interview I am less impressed with him now as a person. If he has always felt Italian then why not play for Italy u20s which is closer to South Africa distance wise from where he was traveling while playing U20s. It meant Scotland could have tried someone else in the 10 jersey during that time and not wasted the money on developing him if he had no intention of ever playing for Scotland at senior level. [/quote]

I don't think the SRU were ever at fault here, though they took a hammering from plenty people about this. From what I saw of him playing U20 he was a good solid player but by no means a standout, even within that Scottish team. The two who were, Beennett and Gray have gone onwards and upwards and Ashe and Farndale coming along nicely behind them.

Even if he had been given an EDP contract at that time he just have joined the long queue of undeveloped stand offs getting very little if any game time. We would still be non the wiser as to how good he really is. It is really hard to get a professional contract in Scotland and even harder to get yourself established as a player. The reasons for that have been well discussed. The SRU have made plenty of poor decisions over the years. Not offerring Tmomaso Allen a contract was not one of them.

Going to Perpignon was a good move for him. It has got hm noticed and I would be surprised if it does not lead to a contract with one of the Italian franchises. They seem to struggle for stand offs even more than we do and i am sure he will get some game time there.

We can have the discussion in two or three years time as to whether he was one who got away or not. at the moment it is all hypothetical

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:03 pm

personally I've always seen this forum as a good way of getting peoples opinions on how various players performed in matches etc. The sort of stuff that often isn't really covered in any real depth by match reports on places like the BBC sport website. I was put off actually joining in on here by certain posters just looking to derail every topic they can, but it seems you can avoid that by staying away from certain topics! thumbsup 
If you stick to the Scottish posts or anything written/involving Biltong you are probably gonna be fine apart from the occasional keyboard warrior actions of schiz when/if you mention any of the following; De Luca, Robinson, Edinburgh, De Luca, Ford when he plays bad, how poorly Kellock plays in a Scotland shirt (according to the weegies he's the best thing since unsliced bread), Edinburgh (the city not the rugby team) and the DTH vs Visser question...thumbsup Laugh 

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:08 pm

Also as a former lurker I too understand the initial reluctance to post, it can be terrifying posting for the first time especially when most first posts are motivated by being so peed off at something we feel the need to rage on the net and thus we are more likely to stir/annoy/enrage with our first posts... I remember my first post on the old 606 being during the first 6 nations robinson was in charge and I was so taken aback by how flat Parks was playing I felt the need to post! Followed by a closure of 606, a couple years of internet wilderness and finally joining 606v2 to moan about how terrible Edinburgh were/are/getting better now steam 

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:28 pm

Right, prediction time chaps. Whoevers guesses closest wins a years supply of calendars!

I always like to take a look back at the last time we played a team to help gauge how we'll do.

Now I know we played Japan and won in an unconvincing manner in 2010, but since that wasn't a proper test match it doesn't count. So instead we have to go back to 2004 the last time we played them in a full cap international. The score that day Scotland 100 - 8 Japan.
Now why have I brought this up you ask, well that day just like on Saturday, Sean Lamont was on the wing for us, ergo I can only see anther triple figure victory..! Yahoo

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next