The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

medal tomorrow

+5
golfermartin
George1507
Eyetoldyouso
Davie
tarka
9 posters

Go down

medal tomorrow Empty medal tomorrow

Post by tarka Sat 14 May 2011, 12:07 pm

playing only my second medal format tomorrow,
stupid question:

1. must you mark your ball with a dot, marking etc. I know you tell your partners what ball you are playing

tarka

Back to top Go down

medal tomorrow Empty Re: medal tomorrow

Post by Davie Sat 14 May 2011, 12:09 pm

I would highly recommend it though I don't think it's compulsory.

Just removes any doubt if you hit one in the cabbage and find a similar brand there

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Sat 14 May 2011, 12:11 pm

Davie, that doesn't happen cos when I find a ball in the cabbage it is always a burst pinnacle I seem to come out with.

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Sat 14 May 2011, 12:19 pm

You must be able to identify your ball. If you don't mark it how will you always know that you are playing the correct ball.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Sat 14 May 2011, 12:32 pm

Not compulsory, but as everyone says, you MUST be able to identify your ball versus someone else playing the same ball, and it helps to stop people inadvertently playing your ball if there's a big mark on it.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Sat 14 May 2011, 12:42 pm

the other thing I am not especially comfortable with is marking the card, but it should be easier if it is stroke play. Something I have to get used to

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Sat 14 May 2011, 12:48 pm

Rule 12-2 "The responsibility for playing the proper ball rests with the player. Each player should put an identification mark on his ball."
Whist it doesn't say "must", please explain how you can be certain that the ball is yours, e.g. if you hit your ball over a hill, you cannot see it at all times.
Sorry for being a pedant but that's me.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Sat 14 May 2011, 3:01 pm

Nick Faldo once got penalised because he hit a ball that he inadvertently hadn't marked in the right rough. He played a ball (same make and number) onto the green but he couldn't actually prove it was his, so penalty was applied. Lesson for us all!

(I've managed to play a wrong ball and I do mark mine!!)

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat 14 May 2011, 8:30 pm

Eyetoldyouso wrote: please explain how you can be certain that the ball is yours,

Use a Penfold Commando - no one else would claim it Wink

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 18 May 2011, 11:08 am

Why do people announce their ball on the first tee? Always reminds me of the starter at pro tournaments:

"Ladies and gentlemen, on the tee, representing Raycastleunited, Titleist 2 with 3 green dots" (cue smattering of applause).

Seriously though, why do people do it? I don't pay any attention, and I'm not interested what ball you are playing unless I'm helping you look for it in the rough.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed 18 May 2011, 11:24 am

raycastleunited wrote:Why do people announce their ball on the first tee? Always reminds me of the starter at pro tournaments:

"Ladies and gentlemen, on the tee, representing Raycastleunited, Titleist 2 with 3 green dots" (cue smattering of applause).

Seriously though, why do people do it? I don't pay any attention, and I'm not interested what ball you are playing unless I'm helping you look for it in the rough.

It's so that you will know if you're playing a similar ball one of you needs to change either the ball or the marking.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 18 May 2011, 10:11 pm

raycastleunited wrote:Why do people announce their ball on the first tee? Always reminds me of the starter at pro tournaments:

It's worth paying attention when somebody announces what ball they are playing. If you don't tell your partner(s) on the tee, you could claim any ball you find to be yours and nobody is going to know otherwise.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Wed 18 May 2011, 10:44 pm

I put my initials on my balls - does get some funny looks in the gym changing rooms though.... :run1:
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 19 May 2011, 12:25 pm

"It's worth paying attention when somebody announces what ball they are playing. If you don't tell your partner(s) on the tee, you could claim any ball you find to be yours and nobody is going to know otherwise."

Really? Is that the spirit of golf? So do you check your partner's ball marking after every shot just to make sure he hasn't surreptiously switched? I mark my balls the same way, so could always drop another one with the same marking. I'm sure you can work out if someone is cheating without having to examine their ball

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 19 May 2011, 1:03 pm

ray

Sadly, I have seen people tee off with one ball and hole out without a different one. Sometimes deliberately others accidentally. It's not uncommon for people to find a ball in the rough, hack it out then mark it on the green only to find out it's not their ball.

Doesn't happen very often and most of the time when it does the offender will point it out. But I have seen people do this and had to pull them up about it.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Thu 19 May 2011, 8:43 pm

All joking apart - it makes sense to mark your balls before you set out with 3 dots or your initials or something, just in case you forget which exact brand you are using and need to identify it in the rough or on an adjoining fairway.
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down