The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Play-Off

+22
doctor_grey
Feckless Rogue
Casartelli
thebandwagonsociety
SecretFly
lostinwales
Notch
Portnoy's Complaint
LordDowlais
The Saint
VietGwentRevisited
andyi
broadlandboy
quinsforever
beshocked
Sin é
thebluesmancometh
Brendan
XR
Toohey
TJ
alcoombe
26 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

European Play-Off - Page 4 Empty European Play-Off

Post by alcoombe Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:53 am

First topic message reminder :

English and French clubs have responded to demands by the Celtic and Italian unions for eight clubs from the RaboDirect Pro12 to remain in the top competition of European club rugby by proposing a new play-off system, Telegraph Sport has learned.

The move is likely to be viewed as a significant olive branch in the bitter row over the future of European club rugby.

It comes as negotiations intensify to hammer out a deal that will ensure that clubs from all six nations continue to compete in the same tournament next season.

It is understood that the proposal is for clubs from the Aviva Premiership, Top 14 and Pro12 to take part in end-of-season play-offs that might produce two qualifiers for the following season’s Rugby Champions’ Cup, the new European tournament being set-up by the English and French to replace the Heineken Cup.

The weekend of May 17-18 next year has been earmarked for the inaugural European play-offs.

The plan might, for instance, see two matches being staged, with the prize for the winners of each being qualification for the Rugby Champions’ Cup.

The new play-off system is understood to be supported by both the English and French clubs and its details are being considered by the Rugby Football Union, which is playing a central role in attempting to thrash out a deal that its Celtic and Italian counterparts can support.

Supporters of the play-off system are understood to see two major benefits.

First, it is seen as a potentially acceptable compromise between the two sides.

One of the key demands behind the decision by the England and French clubs in June last year to serve the necessary two years’ notice to leave the current European Rugby Cup accord was for the Heineken Cup to be reduced from 24 to 20 clubs, in order to strengthen the second-tier Amlin Challenge Cup.

Coupled with this was the demand that only the top six from the Pro 12 would qualify, in order to remove guaranteed places in the European Cup and make it a truly meritocratic tournament.

The Celtic and Italian unions have stuck by their desire for the status quo to be retained, given their view of the European tournament as key for developing and nourishing professional rugby on as broad a basis as possible.

Premiership Rugby and their French counterparts have already given ground from their original demand by agreeing that each nation should have one guaranteed representative in the new Champions’ Cup, and the play-offs system would be in addition to that pledge.

It would allow the English and French to retain their 20-club model – with six sides from each league qualifying automatically.

But, depending how the play-off participants are decided, it could potentially see two more Pro12 clubs given a chance to qualify, which would broaden the entry to the tournament, but in a merit-based fashion.

The second benefit of the play-off idea is that it is hoped it will bring an extra element of excitement to the end of season for those clubs who are outside the domestic semi-finals in the three leagues but not under threat of relegation.

Much of the detail has yet to be thrashed out, but both the English and French clubs also see it as a priority to boost the second-tier competition of European club rugby, currently the Amlin Challenge Cup.

They see the second competition as crucial to the health of club rugby in Europe.

Average attendances in the first round of the Amlin Challenge Cup were 5,600, even with a 15,000 crowd to see Bath’s victory in Bordeaux.

It is not yet clear whether the play-off proposal will prove acceptable to the Celtic and Italian unions, and there remains considerable ground to be made up in terms of the distribution of revenues, governance of the new competitions and the separate commitments made by each side to rival broadcasters.

Nonetheless, if nothing else it suggests that, while time is now on no one’s side, a deal can yet be struck.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/10381474/English-and-French-tempt-Celts-and-Italians-to-European-deal-with-play-offs-offer.html

alcoombe

Back to top Go down

European Play-Off - Page 4 Empty Re: European Play-Off

Post by timhen Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:55 am

I don't agree with this criticism of sides selling cheap tickets when playing in stadiums the size of Wembley.  It's not like all the tickets are being sold cheap, it's a certain portion (looking at the ticketmaster site for the Saracens match, from the few seats left they only seem to be available in the top, third tier) and it allows those who might have more meagre incomes to enjoy an event they might otherwise be pushing their finances for.  It particularly makes taking the whole family or large community club groups much more feasible.

If you sell more tickets at a lesser price whilst also having more tickets in the more exclusive bracket (which a larger stadium will allow), the right balance will mean that you won't make less money than not discounting, and in getting more people to the stadium you allow more people to enjoy the experience and create a bigger game atmosphere, adding to the event.

The cheapest tickets on ticketmaster for the Saracens games are £5 for kids & £16.50 for adults, the next bracket is £16.50 & £27.50, then £22 & £40, with the most expensive on general sale at £60.

Looking at Leinster's prices for their match against Saints in the Aviva on ticketmaster, there's not a huge difference, ranging from €10-70 (£8-60). Munster's for their match against Gloucester in Thomond Park are on sale for €10-50 (£8-42).

As was pointed out by someone else last time this was raised, if you want an example of a better deal for those clubs, you could look back to Munster's offer in 2012 when they had a 3 match deal offer against Leinster, Ulster & Cardiff in the PRO12 for as little as €18 for kids & €50 for adults, which equates to £5 & £14 a match.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/10106.php#.Ul8uQVNc_WW

timhen

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:24 am

Well I note that Obama's budget has been passed at last.
Sort of gives you hope - if it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would get done it seems.

I just hope that the health care package goes through.

Now there'll be an extended argument as to whether the Franglos represent the Democrats or Tea Party.

Bagsy the Democrats.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:32 am

It's interesting one of my mates said that he got a Ospreys season ticket for just £90!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by andyi Thu 17 Oct 2013, 11:06 am

quinsforever wrote:tigers secret is consistent success in AP. it breeds more success on and off the pitch, especially if the youth system is well set up to capitalise on the success. imo anyway.

Appearances: 378, Champions: 7, Wins: 257, Draws: 20, Losses: 100
378-257-20-100 = 1

What happened to other game????

andyi

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 17 Oct 2013, 11:37 am

Portnoy's Complaint wrote:Well I note that Obama's budget has been passed at last.
Sort of gives you hope - if it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would get done it seems.

Now there'll be an extended argument as to whether the Franglos represent the Democrats or Tea Party.

Bagsy the Democrats.
To make such presumptions assumes Democrats are on the side of natural right and those Tea baggers are the natural Evil guys. It's all relative, and how evil the other guy is depends on what camp you're in.
Ironically, I think the Pro12ers are the Tea baggers Wink Standing up to 'Big Government', standing up for the 'decent ordinary folk and small businesses that are getting screwed by the heavy taxes '.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 17 Oct 2013, 11:41 am

SecretFly wrote:
Portnoy's Complaint wrote:Well I note that Obama's budget has been passed at last.

Bagsy the Democrats.
To make such presumptions assumes Democrats are on the side of natural right and those Tea baggers are the natural Evil guys.  It's all relative, and how evil the other guy is depends on what camp you're in.
Ironically, I think the Pro12ers are the Tea baggers Wink Standing up to 'Big Government', standing up for the 'decent ordinary folk and small businesses that are getting screwed by the heavy taxes '.

Would that make the ERC the Republican party? Big,pompous and loosing support at an increasing rate?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 17 Oct 2013, 11:48 am

lostinwales wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Bagsy the Democrats.
To make such presumptions assumes Democrats are on the side of natural right and those Tea baggers are the natural Evil guys.  It's all relative, and how evil the other guy is depends on what camp you're in.
Ironically, I think the Pro12ers are the Tea baggers Wink Standing up to 'Big Government', standing up for the 'decent ordinary folk and small businesses that are getting screwed by the heavy taxes '.

Would that make the ERC the Republican party? Big,pompous and loosing support at an increasing rate?
Nah, the ERC is simply Washington.  You might all be agin' it - nobody might like it, your supporters might tell you it's evil; ...but when the elections are called, and everyone votes, and whichever party comes back thinking it has won an outright majority... Washington will still be there and congress will still have battles with the senate, and the 'President' will still be controlled by its whims. 

You can rename ERC but the same people (if involved in a new competition!) will still be there on Capitol hill.  PRL/RFU are members of ERC - and they'll be members of any new name outfit too.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:40 pm

Washington was built in a swamp that appealed to no-one. Washington itself was a compromise seat of government location after the civil war.

if we get a washington (no-one loves it but no-one completely hates it) that will mean we get to watch euro rugby next year. My fear is the winners of the war (the North = The Union not unions = prl/lnr) are going to want the new capital to be close to New York, and hence the losing side (the South = Confederates = celtalian unions) would decline peace and any settlement.

my favourite quote about washington was from JFK who described it as a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:42 pm

andyi wrote:
quinsforever wrote:tigers secret is consistent success in AP. it breeds more success on and off the pitch, especially if the youth system is well set up to capitalise on the success. imo anyway.

Appearances: 378, Champions: 7, Wins: 257, Draws: 20, Losses: 100
378-257-20-100 = 1

What happened to other game????
no idea! got those numbers straight of the avivapremiership website. was there an abandoned game maybe?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:47 pm

I like the idea of being a Texas rebel. Yes sir, that do suit me fine. Thank'ya kindly sir.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:50 pm

That one game happened in a leap year day... remember it well, before it never happened.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 17 Oct 2013, 2:59 pm

quinsforever wrote:Washington was built in a swamp that appealed to no-one. Washington itself was a compromise seat of government location after the civil war.

if we get a washington (no-one loves it but no-one completely hates it) that will mean we get to watch euro rugby next year. My fear is the winners of the war (the North = The Union not unions = prl/lnr) are going to want the new capital to be close to New York, and hence the losing side (the South = Confederates = celtalian unions) would decline peace and any settlement.

my favourite quote about washington was from JFK who described it as a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm.
It is also worth remembering that once in its history it was successfully invaded by a foreign power and the capitol burned down. Guess who by

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:05 pm

Tough one.

Canada?
Russia?
Cuba?
Iran?
Vietnam?
Iraq?
Grenada?
Japan?
Germany?
Mexico?
China?

Who?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:15 pm

france?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:18 pm

quinsforever wrote:france?
twas the Irish of course Very Happy under the orders of a few aristo english i imagine

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:18 pm

Hopefully thats ironic - British army in 1814 as part of the 1812 war.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:18 pm

Give us a clue, liw. Can the time be measured in decades or Celtic units?

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:23 pm

"United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland" was the formal name of Gb between 1801 and 1927

yes ironic. but maybe a hint of a germ of truth, ironically.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:24 pm

quinsforever wrote:
quinsforever wrote:france?
twas the Irish of course Very Happy under the orders of a few aristo english i imagine
The Irish as always were honourable men and fought on both sides... and thus Paddy Powers Bookmakers is born.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:25 pm

they were hedged...

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:42 pm

quinsforever wrote:they were hedged...
Commanding officer was Anglo Irish. Off the top of my head not sure where the British troops were from (although a bunch were royal marines).

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:47 pm

lostinwales wrote:Hopefully thats ironic - British army in 1814 as part of the 1812 war.
Did they got lost on the way over?

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:52 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
lostinwales wrote:Hopefully thats ironic - British army in 1814 as part of the 1812 war.
Did they got lost on the way over?
They used all the Military Intelligence then available. And MI was then at its zenith but has since been on a downward spiral.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:55 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Commanding officer was Anglo Irish. Off the top of my head not sure where the British troops were from (although a bunch were royal marines).
An Anglo-Irish lad burns down a House (White) designed by an Irish lad.

Like I say, fighting both sides of an argument is always the best way of ensuring a win.

McCafferty's just gotta have some rebel Confederate Celtic blood in him somewheres. He's secretly telling the IRFU every move the PRL are going to make in advance. Wink

"We're bluffin'... yiz are in lads...all four Provinces...just pretend yiz don't know until we get the other Pro12 chaps to agree to hari-kari"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Thu 17 Oct 2013, 4:01 pm

SecretFly wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
An Anglo-Irish lad burns down a House (White) designed by an Irish lad.

Like I say, fighting both sides of an argument is always the best way of ensuring a win.  

McCafferty's just gotta have some rebel Confederate Celtic blood in him somewheres.  He's secretly telling the IRFU every move the PRL are going to make in advance. Wink

"We're bluffin'... yiz are in lads...all four Provinces...just pretend yiz don't know until we get the other Pro12 chaps to agree to hari-kari"
you weren't joking! sometimes life parodies 606v2!

"Robert Ross (b1766 Rostrevor, County Down – 12 September 1814) was an Anglo-Irish British Army officer who participated in the Napoleonic Wars and the War of 1812, (1812-1815). He is most well known for the Burning of Washington, which included the destruction of the White House and the The Capitol, and for his failure to invest Baltimore. He died at the Battle of North Point before the infamous Bombardment of Fort McHenry the next day."

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 17 Oct 2013, 6:44 pm

It doesn't count if the Irish did it in the British army. That's all England's fault for making us do it.

This seems to be entirely an Irish plan though.
http://irishamerica.com/2012/03/the-day-the-irish-invaded-canada/
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 18 Oct 2013, 1:27 am

SecretFly wrote:I like the idea of being a Texas rebel.  Yes sir, that do suit me fine.  Thank'ya kindly sir.
Well, that means you are married to your first cousin (only if you don't find your sister or your horse attractive).

To wit, Texas:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOXQTr_3IVw

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Sat 19 Oct 2013, 9:47 pm

quinsforever wrote:
Metal Tiger wrote:Doc,

In my 20's I knew everthing. FACT

In my 30's I suspected that I didn't know everthing.

In my 40's I realised I knew sod all and started to listen to other people.

The art of compromise comes with experiance & wisdom so thank your lucky stars that half the idiots on here are not involved in the negotiations!
so wise old man (i am also 42 Smile) in view what you have heard from other people (not here obviously) where do you think the current bid-offer in negotiations is and what do you think will happen.

because i couldnt agree more that most other people are either deluding themselves (20s) or bluffing (30s) rather than listening to the flow of information and feeling the currents....
Im wise enough to know that I dont have all the facts and answers.

My view is that anyone who understands negotiations tactics knows that you have your minimum requirements, then the things ghat would be great to have and finally you have the stuff that you know you will never get. You concede on these to show compromise, you negotiate the middle to show your working with your opposite number... you win some points... they win some points... and finally you arrive at your minmum requirements... which is what you really wanted all along.

Most of this is achieved in closed door sessions and no details will come out until it suceeds or fails. All the statements are basically flannel and posturing and have little impact on the negiations.

After all... the definition of a true compromise is an agreement that both sides can work to but are not happy about it!
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4