The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Culture Cup round 8

+15
The Boss
superflyweight
Union Cane
Scottrf
Dolphin Ziggler
Hero
bhb001
JuliusHMarx
The Womble
Rowley
Roller_Coaster
seanmichaels
Galted
Adam D
Mind the windows Tino.
19 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Best ever documentary

The Culture Cup round 8 Vote_lcap1%The Culture Cup round 8 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
The Culture Cup round 8 Vote_lcap7%The Culture Cup round 8 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 5 ]
[ 5 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
The Culture Cup round 8 Vote_lcap8%The Culture Cup round 8 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 6 ]
The Culture Cup round 8 Vote_lcap3%The Culture Cup round 8 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 8 Vote_lcap17%The Culture Cup round 8 Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 12 ]
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 8 Vote_lcap4%The Culture Cup round 8 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
[ 5 ]
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 8 Vote_lcap10%The Culture Cup round 8 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 7 ]
The Culture Cup round 8 Vote_lcap4%The Culture Cup round 8 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 8 Vote_lcap8%The Culture Cup round 8 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 6 ]
[ 5 ]
[ 5 ]
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 72

The Culture Cup round 8 Empty The Culture Cup round 8

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 17 Oct 2013, 8:23 am

Next up on the seemingly endless and woefully named Culture Cup is round 8 and the poll for 'Best ever Documentary'.  Personally, I am looking forward to the results on this round as the quality of the field is pretty damn good.  

Round 7 brought us the poll for 'Best film released in the decade of the participants birth'.  This round threw up a shockingly bad choice of winner with Azzy's pick of Die Hard.  How that can be the best or even most cultured film out of this bunch is a mystery.  Still, it means 12 points for Azzy and she moves into 3rd.  Galted and seanmichaels pick up 10 points each with Life of Brian and Jaws respectively, both of which would have been more deserving winners.  Jeff has gained 4 points on his nemesis superfly and edges closer to the top.  Hero and compelling & rich both picked up decent points hauls and maintain a healthy but not unsurpassable lead at the top.  A solid 7 points for Union has seen him pull away from the bottom, not a motion he is used to doing.  The Womble managed to pick up a vote despite his questionable, albeit very funny, choice of Supergirl.  Adam was the big loser, only picking up 2 votes for Halloween.  He really should have picked something better.  Something like Rocky would have surely got more points.

Hero (One flew over the Cuckoos nest): (8) 64
compelling & rich (Empire Strikes Back): (9) 61
Azzy (Die Hard): (12) 56
seanmichaels (Jaws): (10) 55
Galted (Life of Brian): (10) 50
Adam (Halloween): (4) 46
TopHat (Scarface): (6) 45
Rowley (Godfather II): (7) 44
onlytreblewinners (Shawshank Redemption): (7) 43
bhb (Cool Hand Luke): (5) 41
The Womble (Supergirl): (3) 39
superflyweight (Chinatown): (3) 38
The Boss (Pulp Fiction): (6) 37
Dolphin (Rainman): (4) 34
Union (Monty Python and the Holy Grail): (7) 34
JuliusHMarx (The Misfits): (3) 33
ChequeredJersey (Raiders of the Lost Ark): (4) 30
jbeadlesbigrighthand (Lethal Weapon): (4) 27

Round 9 brings us back to literature and the question is thus: Name the best piece of literature with a place or type of building in the title  It can be a town/country/planet/hall/shop/train station etc etc, you get the drift.  So long as it is some sort of place or building then it qualifies.  I will be the sole judge of whether it meets the criteria or not.  PLEASE PM AT LEAST A COUPLE OF CHOICES.

For the poll, you will only be able to vote for ONE CHOICE and vote cancelling will not be allowed.  It stopped the voting scandal that dogged the previous two rounds so we will carry on with it.

REMEMBER, IT IS OPEN FOR THE WHOLE FORUM TO VOTE!

Last edited by Mind the windows Tino. on Thu 17 Oct 2013, 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

The Culture Cup round 8 Empty Re: The Culture Cup round 8

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 17 Oct 2013, 8:25 am

Really struggled with this round. I desperately wanted to vote for Hoop Dreams, World at War, Roger and Me, An Inconvenient Truth and a couple of others are deserving of a mention. Louis Theroux makes me smile as well.

But, seeing as no-one went for Micro Monsters which is quite clearly the best ever documentary about the most prolific, hardy and adaptable species on the planet, then I had to go with Planet Earth. I remember the hype when it came out and it certainly didn’t disappoint and stands up to repeated viewing. It was just a mesmerising series, first ever documentary shot in HD from memory, and it gets my vote.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 17 Oct 2013, 8:35 am

so glad i got my first choice but also disappointed I didnt get my second choice of Big Fat Gypsy weddings!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 17 Oct 2013, 8:38 am

Adam D wrote:Big Fat Gypsy weddings!
That was Hero's first choice till I talked him out of it.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 17 Oct 2013, 8:39 am

I went for An Idiot Abroad, p1ss-threateningly funny as well as an original concept even if Ricky Gervais's laugh makes your nipples bleed (it also ended the agonising over whether I should go for Planet Earth or Blue Planet). Have to congratulate you on your summaries of the previous rounds, Tino, very good reading.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 17 Oct 2013, 8:42 am

Galted wrote:Have to congratulate you on your summaries of the previous rounds, Tino, very good reading.
Thanks. It's only taken 7 rounds for someone to notice.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 17 Oct 2013, 8:43 am

Idiot Abroad for me too.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 17 Oct 2013, 8:44 am

Fair play to you - they have made me chuckle each time too! My work colleagues asked me what I was laughing at today.

It was quite hard to explain how I was laughing at something on a site that I am not supposed to be looking at whilst at work and that it was to do with Rocky Balboa.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 17 Oct 2013, 8:46 am

Totally different but World at War and Senna top 2 for me. WaW a supreme chronology and information provider, well done and good depth over 30 odd hours (I think). Senna, made to fit into feature film length and more (IMO) to entertain, but simply stunning and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Didn't read and just waded in so tried for 2 votes so no idea which one got it.

Hope someone puts forward a Number 73 annual for the next round. Sandi Toksvig, Neil Buchannen and Dawn of the Roller Skates in gripping drama about a family in a terraced house in Essex adapted from the TV show of the same name. Culture aplenty...

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 17 Oct 2013, 8:47 am

Adam D wrote:Fair play to you - they have made me chuckle each time too! My work colleagues asked me what I was laughing at today.

It was quite hard to explain how I was laughing at something on a site that I am not supposed to be looking at whilst at work and that it was to do with Rocky Balboa.
"A solid 7 points for Union has seen him pull away from the bottom, not a motion he is used to doing." is what did it for me.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 17 Oct 2013, 8:51 am

Pains me to do it as it almost certainly nominated by my nemesis superfly but hoop dreams wins this for me. Watched it on superfly's recommendation and it is stunningly good, albeit very long.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:03 am

Screwed up on this round. Should almost certainly have nominated When We Were Kings, guess time will tell if that was a mistake, although it almost certainly is.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:04 am

Tino, I don't want to be prickly but Dont Look Back shouldn't have an apostrophe in don't.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:05 am

Rowley wrote:Screwed up on this round. Should almost certainly have nominated When We Were Kings, guess time will tell if that was a mistake, although it almost certainly is.
Someone beat me to that. I doubt my second choice will do well.

I see no-one nominated Shoah.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:13 am

The Womble wrote:Tino, I don't want to be prickly but Dont Look Back shouldn't have an apostrophe in don't.
All the wit, charm, effort, love, heart and soul I have poured into this and you pick up on a rogue apostrophe. That hurts Womble, that really hurts.

When I push a disabled person down the stairs later, you can blame yourself.

I don't know how to edit a poll so you'll just have to live with it.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:22 am

Bloody hell Womble, give him a break. You'll be saying next it should be 'Bobby Fischer Against The World", not "vs The World" Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:23 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:Bloody hell Womble, give him a break. You'll be saying next it should be 'Bobby Fischer Against The World", not "vs The World" Smile
Probably not Tina's fault that one.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:27 am

Rowley wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:Bloody hell Womble, give him a break. You'll be saying next it should be 'Bobby Fischer Against The World", not "vs The World" Smile
Due diligence?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:29 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
The Womble wrote:Tino, I don't want to be prickly but Dont Look Back shouldn't have an apostrophe in don't.
All the wit, charm, effort, love, heart and soul I have poured into this and you pick up on a rogue apostrophe.  That hurts Womble, that really hurts.

When I push a disabled person down the stairs later, you can blame yourself.

I don't know how to edit a poll so you'll just have to live with it.
Rogue apostrophes are the scourge of our existence! I'll live with it on this occasion. Don't let it happen again!
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:30 am

Whistle Now that you mention it.............
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:31 am

Rowley wrote:
Thanks Jeff. Fell on your sword there. Man of honour. Always said it.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:35 am

Rowley eh? Left the bloody '.' off of the end of 'vs' as well. Lack of punctuation? Who do you think you are, D. A. Pennebaker?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:37 am

Minor complaint is that the title is best ever documentary, not best ever documentary series. So this should exclude half the choices here. I probably didn't read the small print, so I expect the issue lies with me!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:39 am

bhb001 wrote:Minor complaint is that the title is best ever documentary, not best ever documentary series. So this should exclude half the choices here. I probably didn't read the small print, so I expect the issue lies with me!
Where's the 'Can of Worms' emoticon?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:41 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
bhb001 wrote:Minor complaint is that the title is best ever documentary, not best ever documentary series. So this should exclude half the choices here. I probably didn't read the small print, so I expect the issue lies with me!
Don't push me.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:43 am

I picked my choice based on it being a one-off documentary as well!

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:43 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Don't push me.
Round 10 - best Sly Stallone catchphrase.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:44 am

I think it's how you define a documentary. I'm not sure one World at War is a documentary as it doesn't really do the justice of documenting the world at war. Thus, it is one long documentary which is separated into parts not due to the documenting but the behest of scheduling. Considering there are books from a time gone by that were released in chapters and volumes, conceivably these could be considered multiple works rather than one book (Dickens comes to mind but I can't remember which text)

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:45 am

Believe Great Expectations was serialised as you describe Dolphin. Same is true of a number of Dumas' works I believe.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:47 am

I think feature length documentary is best. I don't think you can really compare 30 minute documentaries or single episodes of a series to documentary films. EDIT: Didn't see the options.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:48 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
Don't push me.
Very good!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:50 am

Can't we just focus on my amusing 'Union likes bottoms' gags and move away from all this nitpicking?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:50 am

Think Senna is the best feature length one up there, and Planet Earth is possibly the best documentary series ever made.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:51 am

David Attenborough's Southern Hemisphere
Partly Around The World in 10 Days
The World Just Heading Off To War

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:52 am

Bo11ocks. I will apologise now to Tino for this particular hare!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 17 Oct 2013, 10:09 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
Don't push me.
Very good!
am I allowed Rocky this time?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 17 Oct 2013, 10:13 am

Adam D wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
Don't push me.
Very good!
am I allowed Rocky this time?
Laugh 

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 17 Oct 2013, 11:06 am

I am not a bummer, don't know where this has come from.

Voted for WWWK, as it was my original first choice.

A 'highly commended' rosette for Senna, as it moved me in a strange way I am not used to and I actually found it quite hard to watch, knowing what was going to happen.

Can't see my subtitled documentary on East European robots getting me many votes.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 17 Oct 2013, 11:09 am

Scottrf wrote:Think Senna is the best feature length one up there, and Planet Earth is possibly the best documentary series ever made.
But you're erring towards Senna with your voting right?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 17 Oct 2013, 11:16 am

Not being gay or owt but I cried during Senna (including the time I watched it again recently).

Other than Senna there are quite a few documentaries on F1 that are both moving and give an insight in to how dangerous the sport was. This was on BBC a while back - Grand Prix: The Killer Years vimeo.com/51735205

Also watched this the other night  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0377tb1 (a non Hollywood 'Rush'). James Hunt was such a legend. Story of his first commentating slot with Murray Walker is brilliant - apparently he turned up with a few bottles of Rose for his stint and gradually deteriorated through the broadcast.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 17 Oct 2013, 11:19 am

Whilst there may well be some wonderful documentaries about it, does not change the fact formula one is dull as dishwater. Is basically scrapheap challenge with a budget.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 17 Oct 2013, 11:21 am

Extra point for Jeff.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 17 Oct 2013, 11:23 am

Rowley wrote:Whilst there may well be some wonderful documentaries about it, does not change the fact formula one is dull as dishwater. Is basically scrapheap challenge with a budget.
I accept there are dull seasons - the current being a great example. That said a good race is as good as sport can get in my mind. A couple of years back when Button won the Canadian GP was a great example.

As an aside I did a bit of gardening for a guy who used to race with Button's old man and then engaged in an ill-fated business venture with him - ending with John Button behind bars for fraud. Dodgy as hell was Button's old man..

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 17 Oct 2013, 11:25 am

Jeff picking Hoop Dreams is like Captain Oats wandering off into the freezing cold night.

I've gone for World at War - arguably one of the greatest televisual pieces of work and should really be seen by everyone.

P.S. Union does enjoy man on man fun - I heard strong (sounded really "strong") evidence through my trusty listening glass.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 17 Oct 2013, 11:27 am

seanmichaels wrote:
Other than Senna there are quite a few documentaries on F1 that are both moving and give an insight in to how dangerous the sport was. This was on BBC a while back - Grand Prix: The Killer Years vimeo.com/51735205

Watched that one, the highly-flammable magnesium cars were my favourite. Could do with them now to liven things up.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 17 Oct 2013, 11:29 am

Galted wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:

Watched that one, the highly-flammable magnesium cars were my favourite.  Could do with them now to liven things up.
Absolutely crackers.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu 17 Oct 2013, 12:01 pm

Glad to see my nomination has a couple of votes. A cracking doc on one of musics greatest songwriters.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 17 Oct 2013, 12:23 pm

The Womble wrote:Glad to see my nomination has a couple of votes. A cracking doc on one of musics greatest songwriters.
Michael Palin?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 17 Oct 2013, 12:33 pm

Apologies to whoever nominated it but Supersize Me is proper rubbish. Maybe I missed the point but do we really need a hour and half hour documentary to point out that eating Mcdonalds for pretty much every meal is not very good for you. What is his follow up going to be, that wandering round the Arctic in jeans and a T Shirt will probably lead to you getting cold.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu 17 Oct 2013, 12:37 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
The Womble wrote:Glad to see my nomination has a couple of votes. A cracking doc on one of musics greatest songwriters.
Michael Palin?
How did you guess?
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next