The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Culture Cup round 8

+15
The Boss
superflyweight
Union Cane
Scottrf
Dolphin Ziggler
Hero
bhb001
JuliusHMarx
The Womble
Rowley
Roller_Coaster
seanmichaels
Galted
Adam D
Mind the windows Tino.
19 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Best ever documentary

The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_lcap1%The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 5 ]
The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 5 ]
The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_lcap1%The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 6 ]
The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_lcap17%The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 12 ]
The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
[ 5 ]
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 7 ]
The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 6 ]
[ 5 ]
[ 5 ]
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 72

The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Empty The Culture Cup round 8

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

Next up on the seemingly endless and woefully named Culture Cup is round 8 and the poll for 'Best ever Documentary'.  Personally, I am looking forward to the results on this round as the quality of the field is pretty damn good.  

Round 7 brought us the poll for 'Best film released in the decade of the participants birth'.  This round threw up a shockingly bad choice of winner with Azzy's pick of Die Hard.  How that can be the best or even most cultured film out of this bunch is a mystery.  Still, it means 12 points for Azzy and she moves into 3rd.  Galted and seanmichaels pick up 10 points each with Life of Brian and Jaws respectively, both of which would have been more deserving winners.  Jeff has gained 4 points on his nemesis superfly and edges closer to the top.  Hero and compelling & rich both picked up decent points hauls and maintain a healthy but not unsurpassable lead at the top.  A solid 7 points for Union has seen him pull away from the bottom, not a motion he is used to doing.  The Womble managed to pick up a vote despite his questionable, albeit very funny, choice of Supergirl.  Adam was the big loser, only picking up 2 votes for Halloween.  He really should have picked something better.  Something like Rocky would have surely got more points.

Hero (One flew over the Cuckoos nest): (8) 64
compelling & rich (Empire Strikes Back): (9) 61
Azzy (Die Hard): (12) 56
seanmichaels (Jaws): (10) 55
Galted (Life of Brian): (10) 50
Adam (Halloween): (4) 46
TopHat (Scarface): (6) 45
Rowley (Godfather II): (7) 44
onlytreblewinners (Shawshank Redemption): (7) 43
bhb (Cool Hand Luke): (5) 41
The Womble (Supergirl): (3) 39
superflyweight (Chinatown): (3) 38
The Boss (Pulp Fiction): (6) 37
Dolphin (Rainman): (4) 34
Union (Monty Python and the Holy Grail): (7) 34
JuliusHMarx (The Misfits): (3) 33
ChequeredJersey (Raiders of the Lost Ark): (4) 30
jbeadlesbigrighthand (Lethal Weapon): (4) 27

Round 9 brings us back to literature and the question is thus: Name the best piece of literature with a place or type of building in the title  It can be a town/country/planet/hall/shop/train station etc etc, you get the drift.  So long as it is some sort of place or building then it qualifies.  I will be the sole judge of whether it meets the criteria or not.  PLEASE PM AT LEAST A COUPLE OF CHOICES.

For the poll, you will only be able to vote for ONE CHOICE and vote cancelling will not be allowed.  It stopped the voting scandal that dogged the previous two rounds so we will carry on with it.

REMEMBER, IT IS OPEN FOR THE WHOLE FORUM TO VOTE!

Last edited by Mind the windows Tino. on Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 Empty Re: The Culture Cup round 8

Post by Galted Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:42 pm

Rowley wrote:Apologies to whoever nominated it but Supersize Me is proper rubbish. Maybe I missed the point but do we really need a hour and half hour documentary to point out that eating Mcdonalds for pretty much every meal is not very good for you. What is his follow up going to be, that wandering round the Arctic in jeans and a T Shirt will probably lead to you getting cold.
Quite an irony that someone who eats McDonalds for every meal would probably survive for longer wandering around the Arctic in jeans and a T-shirt. That would be a documentary worth watching.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:08 pm

That stung Rowley. Tino wouldn't let me have any of my other choices and I was late with my choice so I was left no other option. And you know what... I'm voting for it!

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Sorry Boss, there are several areas you do appear to be a man of taste on but can't bring myself to say anything positive about your choice this time round. However as an aside Glory Days is currently on the radio at work, which is a little spooky when writing a post to you.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:16 pm

The Womble wrote:Glad to see my nomination has a couple of votes. A cracking doc on one of musics greatest songwriters.
Maybe if you did actually nominate Searching for Sugar Man it would have done better.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:17 pm

I'm not particularly a fan of your man that did the documentary but Tino cut my legs from under me.
Funnily enough I'm listening to the stone roses at the minute in work Jeff!

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:18 pm

The Boss wrote:I'm not particularly a fan of your man that did the documentary but Tino cut my legs from under me.
That's because you nominated about 6 weeks after everyone else.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:20 pm

Scottrf wrote:
The Womble wrote:Glad to see my nomination has a couple of votes. A cracking doc on one of musics greatest songwriters.
Maybe if you did actually nominate Searching for Sugar Man it would have done better.
Not seen it, but will look out for it.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:20 pm

when thinking of my own nominations i didnt even think of tv series like planet earth and idiot abroad. was purely thinking one off shows.

still i went for When we were kings, a must for any boxing fan

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:25 pm

The Boss wrote:I'm not particularly a fan of your man that did the documentary but Tino cut my legs from under me.
Balls, you have just reminded me I should have voted for Made of Stone in this round. Is it too late to change Tina?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:26 pm

Rowley wrote:
Balls, you have just reminded me I should have voted for Made of Stone in this round. Is it too late to change Tina?
I thought that was rubbish (the one about the roses right?)

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:27 pm

Rowley wrote:
Are you trying to wind me up?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:27 pm

I enjoyed it Sean, not exactly the most hard hitting or insightful but some cracking footage in there.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:28 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Rowley wrote:
No not at all. I do not feel my current choice is representative of my views on this subject.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:35 pm

Rowley wrote:
Rowley wrote:
No not at all. I do not feel my current choice is representative of my views on this subject.
Should have thought a bit more about it before you nominated then.

What was it Shakin' Stevens said. "Only fools rush in".

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:47 pm

I should have nominated the Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman Long Way Round doc picard

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:41 am

I'm guessing the one I nominated must be quite good as I've not seen it.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:50 am

Hero wrote:I'm guessing the one I nominated must be quite good as I've not seen it.
Bet you're glad I talked you down from Big Fat Gypsy Wedding or Toddlers and Tiaras now.

Attenborough is smashing it and quite rightly. Its not even his best work but it is still in the lead.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:53 am

What do you believe is his best work?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:56 am

Surely DA's stuff would come under "documentary series", which ain't what you asked for.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:56 am

Scottrf wrote:What do you believe is his best work?
Micro Monsters.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:57 am

Union Cane wrote:Surely DA's stuff would come under "documentary series", which ain't what you asked for.
Yeah I know. Sorry about that.

I did a good gag about you being gay though.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:57 am

Scottrf wrote:What do you believe is his best work?
I thought he was excellent in The Great Escape and Brighton Rock.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:00 am

Union Cane wrote:Surely DA's stuff would come under "documentary series", which ain't what you asked for.
That's SDA, thank you very much thumbsup 

Last edited by Azzy Mahmood on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:12 am

I can't believe I'm in last place. Some of my nominations have been epic. If I finish in last place, I'm going to carry the bitterness to my grave. Apparently I'm far more petty than I realised.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:20 am

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:I can't believe I'm in last place. Some of my nominations have been epic. If I finish in last place, I'm going to carry the bitterness to my grave. Apparently I'm far more petty than I realised.
It probably means you're more cultured than the rest anyway. Culture Cup is such a rubbish name for this.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:32 am

Azzy Mahmood wrote:
Surely Sir David Frederick Attenborough, OM CH CVO CBE FRS FZS FSA's stuff would come under "documentary series", which ain't what you asked for.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:33 am

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:I can't believe I'm in last place. Some of my nominations have been epic. If I finish in last place, I'm going to carry the bitterness to my grave. Apparently I'm far more petty than I realised.
It probably means you're more cultured than the rest anyway.  Culture Cup is such a rubbish name for this.

I'm sure your plans for Round 10 (favourite Henry Moore sculpture) and Round 11 (favourite ballet) will drag it out of the abyss.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:34 am

Union Cane wrote:
Azzy Mahmood wrote:
Surely Sir David Frederick Attenborough, OM CH CVO CBE FRS FZS FSA's stuff would come under "documentary series", which ain't what you asked for.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:35 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
It probably means you're more cultured than the rest anyway.  Culture Cup is such a rubbish name for this.

I'm sure your plans for Round 10 (favourite Henry Moore sculpture) and Round 11 (favourite ballet) will drag it out of the abyss.
The final bonus round will be the one. That will be dripping in culture.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:36 am

A favourite sculpture round would be good as long as I can submit the photo I took in Guildford of a massive snow knob on the bonnet of a police car. Even had veins such was the detail.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:37 am

I find it easier to reconcile the name if I think of it as this kind of culture:

The Culture Cup round 8 - Page 2 BacteriaCulture
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:42 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I did a good gag about you being gay though.
You aren't allowed to say things like that. You'll be telling the space-monkey joke next....
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:43 am

There's a Henry Moore sculpture sitting about 300ft from where I'm sat right now. It's probably the only one left on public display Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:44 am

seanmichaels wrote:A favourite sculpture round would be good as long as I can submit the photo I took in Guildford of a massive snow knob on the bonnet of a police car. Even had veins such was the detail.

That actually wouldn't be a bad round. I'd go for Michelangelo's David. It also features a knob, and the sculptor was my fourth favourite turtle!

If Tino refuses to give you a platform (a plinth?) to display your knob though, there is this:

https://www.606v2.com/t16017-the-funny-picture-thread
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:45 am

Union Cane wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I did a good gag about you being gay though.
You aren't allowed to say things like that. You'll be telling the space-monkey joke next....
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:46 am

Union Cane wrote:
Azzy Mahmood wrote:

I don't think he's going to take the bait on that one. It was some quality innuendo though.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:47 am

Il Gialloblu wrote:
That actually wouldn't be a bad round.

That would make a nice change.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:47 am

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:
Union Cane wrote:
Azzy Mahmood wrote:

I don't think he's going to take the bait on that one. It was some quality innuendo though.
Truth hurts.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:51 am

Il Gialloblu wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:A favourite sculpture round would be good as long as I can submit the photo I took in Guildford of a massive snow knob on the bonnet of a police car. Even had veins such was the detail.

That actually wouldn't be a bad round. I'd go for Michelangelo's David. It also features a knob, and the sculptor was my fourth favourite turtle!

If Tino refuses to give you a platform (a plinth?) to display your knob though, there is this:

https://www.606v2.com/t16017-the-funny-picture-thread
can I transfer from a hardrive on to the site or does it have to come off the internet?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:54 am

You can upload it to www.tinypic.com then get the URL and post it as normal.

Last edited by Il Gialloblu on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:56 am

Il Gialloblu wrote:You can upload it to www.tinypic.com then get the link and post it.
Are you implying his knob is tiny?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:57 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Il Gialloblu wrote:You can upload it to www.tinypic.com then get the link and post it.
Are you implying his knob is tiny?
tinypic, not tinyprick.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:03 am

I'll have to do some editing. Don't want the Stalkerish w*nker Tino tracking me down.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:07 am

seanmichaels wrote:I'll have to do some editing. Don't want the Stalkerish w*nker Tino tracking me down.
Why would I want to stalk a bow legged wino who looks like Catweazle?

Azzy has just nominated a hilarious one for the next round. Made me L*L. He is not having it but it was brilliant thinking.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:11 am

I still maintain it's legal under the rules of the round, plus it would have won Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:13 am

Let us be the judge Azzy. As demonstrated in the running of this marathon, Tino doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:18 am

seanmichaels wrote:Tino doesn't know his arse from his elbow.
Maybe so, but I'm doing a better job than you would.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:19 am

seanmichaels wrote:Tino doesn't know his arse from his elbow.
Maybe so, but I'm doing a better job than you would.
Very true.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:27 am

Round 9 only has about 6 books that can actually win votes, I got in too late to grab any of them so it's a 2/3 horse race now - fingers crossed Hero doesn't win, imagine the smugosity!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:33 am

Azzy Mahmood wrote:Round 9 only has about 6 books that can actually win votes, I got in too late to grab any of them so it's a 2/3 horse race now - fingers crossed Hero doesn't win, imagine the smugosity!
It doesn't have to be a book.

Anyway, I've relented and allowed your pick. It was a tough one but seeing as I've allowed Adam a tenuous one, I can't really refuse yours.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next