The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Haka Furore

+27
nganboy
quinsforever
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
ME-109
Heaf
Casartelli
Metal Tiger
goneagain
stub
Knowsit17
Hound of Harrow
aucklandlaurie
Big
nathan
Submachine
doctor_grey
profitius
Portnoy's Complaint
Breadvan
Exiledinborders
butterfingers
gregortree
jimmyinthewell68
GunsGerms
Cyril
tigerleghorn
GloriousEmpire
31 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Haka Furore Empty Haka Furore

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:09 pm

Just 5 days to go until the Daily Mail will discover that NZ propose to make an insulting display of tongue waggling and throat slitting at twickenham.

Boy, I bet that kicks off.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Haka Furore Empty Re: Haka Furore

Post by tigerleghorn Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:13 pm

ghost  heart rose

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:18 pm

GE, as a loyal subscriber to The Daily Mail (you tend to quote it in most of your ramblings) I'm sure you'll be up to arms about it too.

Yours in disgust

Cyril

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:18 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:Just 5 days to go until the Daily Mail will discover that NZ propose to make an insulting display of tongue waggling and throat slitting at twickenham.

You must be a real sensitive soul if you care what it says in the daily mail.

You do realise that most rugby fans enjoy the haka and feel its a great rugby tradition?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:18 pm

they could do a PG version where the blow kisses instead

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:24 pm

Ha ha
nice one but the Daily Mail dislikes both foreigners and rugby.... which is why we all ignore it.
DM editors still think this is 1936.. days of Glorious Empire in fact.

Meanwhile, here on 606 in 2013 we love both rugby and the Haka.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:35 pm

Love the Haka, always have. What's not to like ?

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfingers Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:37 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:Just 5 days to go until the Daily Mail will discover that NZ propose to make an insulting display of tongue waggling and throat slitting at twickenham.

Well in all fairness if the celts decide to do a war dance of their own with a throat slitting motion in the end it'll be what 8 years older than the Kapo? Not much heritage in a sexed up and hollywooded version of what is a highly respected and traditional peice of NZ history.

I've personally never understood the furore over the Haka, the Cibi, Sipi Tau, Sipa Tau are all of similar nature, they just didn't have the monetary power to all encompass the dance as theirs, similarly they havn't the money to buy a brand such as the all white, all red, or all blues.

butterfingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:41 pm

Personally I prefer the Haka to that dreadful woman who The RFU roll out to sing the National Anthem. I much prefered it when a band played and the crowd sang. Only thing worse is Murrayfield where apparently no game can start without a firework display. At one game the smoke had still not cleared about five minutes into the game.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:49 pm

Exiledinborders wrote:Personally I prefer the Haka to that dreadful woman who The RFU roll out to sing the National Anthem. I much prefered it when a band played and the crowd sang. Only thing worse is Murrayfield where apparently no game can start without a firework display.  At one game the smoke had still not cleared about five minutes into the game.
Dreadful women? Say whaaaaat. I'd walk over broken glass for a shot a miss wright..

Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:49 pm

I'm as potentially outraged as Ghostie if the Mail starts playing up!

Come on GE, lets stand together outside the gates, flags high, voices raised!

You'll soon forget about that cheating Clancey fellow.

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:07 pm

The Twickenham crowd give New Zealand Strickly come Dancing all the respect that it deserves.

Vote now, vote often. All calls cost 50p from a BT landline. Mobile and other charges may differ.
25p from each call will be donated to the GG Repatriation fund.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:09 pm

I always wondered what the White NZ players make of it.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:12 pm

Exiledinborders wrote:Personally I prefer the Haka to that dreadful woman who The RFU roll out to sing the National Anthem. I much prefered it when a band played and the crowd sang. Only thing worse is Murrayfield where apparently no game can start without a firework display.  At one game the smoke had still not cleared about five minutes into the game.
I still recall the super rugby final that started with fireworks on a foggy night and then the tv cameras couldn't see arse for a full 40 minutes. Hilarious stuff. Referees still called the touch lines properly and spotted the obstruction though.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:13 pm

profitius wrote:I always wondered what the White NZ players make of it.
I imagine it's similar to my dad's connection with rap music.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:25 pm

Cyril wrote:
profitius wrote:I always wondered what the White NZ players make of it.
I imagine it's similar to my dad's connection with rap music.
Laugh 

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:29 pm

gregortree wrote:Ha ha  
nice one but the Daily Mail dislikes both foreigners and rugby.... which is why we all ignore it.

Meanwhile, here on 606  in 2013 we love both rugby and the Haka.
The Daily Mail dislikes everyone and everything.  
I would agree, though, virtually all of us love the Haka, especially the traditional Haka.  It was part of our Rugby upbringing.

The 'new' Haka with the throat slitting gesture, I find a bit unsettling.  When I was raised my Mum and Dad worked for the Foreign Office.  A few of the lovely places they were posted when I was growing up were not exactly Washington D.C. or the Quai d'Orsay.  A throat slitting gesture made one double check to ensure one's sidearm was properly loaded and the avenue of escape was clear.  And that ain't a joke or an exaggeration.  I would prefer they not do it.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:31 pm

It's all just for the kids though really isn't it? I loved watching it when I was a kid but when you get older you realise that it's just some dancing before a match. I've somewhat lost my passion for dance since Bonnie Langford disappeared from our TV screens in the early 90's. I know she made a comeback in Dancing on Ice. But it just wasn't the same, not the same thing at all.
You know what else I loved when I was a Kid? Poprock, you know the bits of dust you ate that exploded in your mouth? I thought I missed that but then I had some recently and it turns out it’s not the same either. Nothing is though is it?
Alan? Wheres Alan.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:35 pm

doctor_grey wrote:

I would agree, though, virtually all of us love the Haka, especially the traditional Haka.  It was part of our Rugby upbringing.

The 'new' Haka with the throat slitting gesture, I find a bit unsettling.  When I was raised my Mum and Dad worked for the Foreign Office.  A few of the lovely places they were posted when I was growing up were not exactly Washington D.C. or the Quai d'Orsay.  A throat slitting gesture made one double check to ensure one's sidearm was properly loaded and the avenue of escape was clear.  And that ain't a joke or an exaggeration.  I would prefer they not do it.
Washington D.C. Lovely Doc? Bit like Philly, couple of blocks from the touristy bits and it's Beirut from what I've seen.

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:38 pm

Beirut gets such a bad press.

I bet there are some nice bits.

Isn't that where Dom Joly grew up? I think the horrors he saw in his childhood were somehow responsible for his one-joke career.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:45 pm

Cyril wrote:Beirut gets such a bad press.

Isn't that where Dom Joly grew up? I think the horrors he saw in his childhood were somehow responsible for his one-joke career.
Probably explains why he always shouts in to the phone.

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfingers Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:46 pm

tigerleghorn wrote:

Probably explains why he always shouts in to the phone.
Not sure if you can get away with a mobile phone gag at Gatwick these days...

butterfingers

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:50 pm

tigerleghorn wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

Washington D.C. Lovely Doc? Bit like Philly, couple of blocks from the touristy bits and it's Beirut from what I've seen.
S'truth.  Philly, well, everyone there is a rung or two down the evolutionary ladder (that's what the New Yorkers say about Philly anyway).  Their old American Football stadium was the only one in America with prison cells built into the basement (truth).  

Washington is a bit different.  It has bad parts, but a lot of really nice parts.   The bad area is improving from what I read and what I saw the last time I was there.  Most of D.C. is very nice.  One of my neighbors lived in D.C. in the 1980s.  He told me they used to refer to a DMZ (Demiliterised Zone) separating the good from the not so good.  Maybe that's where the bad rep came from?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:51 pm

Have you read "Holidays in Hell" by P. J. O'Rourke?. Brilliantly funny book. I seem to remember him describing the fun to be had water skiing off the coast near Beirut. Gun men would apparently use the skiers as shooting targets as they streaked across the beach!

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:58 pm

anyone know what the record is for the amount of GE whine posts in a single week? We've got to be close to reaching it now?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:00 pm

nathan wrote:anyone know what the record is for the amount of GE whine posts in a single week? We've got to be close to reaching it now?
Not sure, he does seem to be able to bring people together in a fun, off topic kinda way recently though.

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:01 pm

doctor_grey wrote:The Daily Mail dislikes everyone and everything.  
Almost agree with that, the exception being that I suspect they like themselves - and probably a bit too much for their own good. Finding something that the Mail is perfectly relaxed about and doesn't hate would be bigger news.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:17 pm

tigerleghorn wrote:
nathan wrote:anyone know what the record is for the amount of GE whine posts in a single week? We've got to be close to reaching it now?
Not sure, he does seem to be able to bring people together in a fun, off topic kinda way recently though.
And, to me, I think he has the best screen name of any of us.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:21 pm

As a fan of a visiting All Blacks team I demand my Haka furore! Stop all this being respectful and polite in your anticipation of the game. I want blood curdled outrage. It's frankly unnerving.

And as for this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/10384106/Doncaster-schoolchildren-perform-haka-in-front-of-New-Zealand-Kiwis-Rugby-League-World-Cup-squad.html well just quit it now or I'll be forced to find you amenable and welcoming hosts. Then what'll happen?

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:23 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:As a fan of a visiting All Blacks team I demand my Haka furore! Stop all this being respectful and polite in your anticipation of the game. I want blood curdled outrage. It's frankly unnerving.
Quiet at the back please!!.......You're here to learn young man.

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:As a fan of a visiting All Blacks team I demand my Haka furore! Stop all this being respectful and polite in your anticipation of the game. I want blood curdled outrage. It's frankly unnerving.
You were just fishing for compliments for the haka all along.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:25 pm

Respect is due to all national sides that sing their song (with or without the karaoke singer and the piped music) and ditto their opposition. So long as it doesn't take an eternity like that Italian number and the home side doesn't play the oppo's anthem as a dirge.

And the bloody sides that have multiple songs and silly dances wear my patience. Ireland, last time out at Lansdowne as I recall had three jolly nationalistic ditties in the minutes leading up to Il Presidente hit the Green carpet. And then there were the formal anthems.
Mind you there'd only be one if they ever pitch up at Belfast again (being shoulder to shoulder and all that).

Kudos to Princess Anne for eschewing the carpet and pitching up in wellies to do the handshakes.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:26 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVlkZVAw8Gc

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:43 pm

I'm outraged, we've waited all year to kick off a heated haka debate and this is what happens. Think this thread back fired GE. I have to admit, you didn't wind it up enough in the intro. I know you got it in you to do better so I'm a little dissapointed in your performance on this critical piece of the pre-game angst build up.

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Yeah in retrospect the alternate title would've been more effective. But im still a typing into an iPhone keypad and it stunts the desire to be expressive somewhat.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:49 pm

Portnoy's Complaint wrote:Respect is due to all national sides that sing their song (with or without the karaoke singer and the piped music) and ditto their opposition. So long as it doesn't take an eternity like that Italian number and the home side doesn't play the oppo's anthem as a dirge.

And the bloody sides that have multiple songs and silly dances wear my patience. Ireland, last time out at Lansdowne as I recall had three jolly nationalistic ditties in the minutes leading up to Il Presidente hit the Green carpet. And then there were the formal anthems.
Mind you there'd only be one if they ever pitch up at Belfast again (being shoulder to shoulder and all that).

Kudos to Princess Anne for eschewing the carpet and pitching up in wellies to do the handshakes.
A horse lady, well used to walking the paddock, plus I'm sure she remembers the Johnson / Mme President incident at Lansdownw Road, so she arrived well prepared.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:52 pm

Come on, entertain us! Haka Furore 1347041234 

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:52 pm

P'raps they'll get the haka done with and Ann Widdecombe and one of Brucey's poncy boys will do a Viennese waltz.

Good game. Good game!

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:54 pm

gregortree wrote:
Portnoy's Complaint wrote:Respect is due to all national sides that sing their song (with or without the karaoke singer and the piped music) and ditto their opposition. So long as it doesn't take an eternity like that Italian number and the home side doesn't play the oppo's anthem as a dirge.

A horse lady, well used to walking the paddock, plus I'm sure she remembers the Johnson / Mme President incident at Lansdownw Road, so she arrived well prepared.
Wasn't John Jeffrey a favourite player of hers? Whistle 

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:57 pm

There was an idea mooted some time last year that NZ should perform a second Haka at the start of the second half. Personally I think this is great idea. It would refocus the boys for the second 40 and annoy the telegraph's rugby journalists twice as much.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:04 pm

tigerleghorn wrote:
gregortree wrote:

Wasn't John Jeffrey a favourite player of hers? Whistle 
I didn't know that she's up for a bit of private jig practice, tiger.
The footman had best be on his toes as there might have been be a tad of the old squint feed into the scrum.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:08 pm

tigerleghorn wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

Well as it happens, Philly gets its opportunity to see the Haka this weekend.

Heres promo for the U.S.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h26pqBKzEHs

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:20 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
tigerleghorn wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

Wow mate, some detective work to bring us all back neatly to the Haka...excellent!! (in a Kevin Bacon kinda way)

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:22 pm

I think we should send this lad out to face the hake. He's about 4' 10' and drinks in my local...

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCkQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DsAhEFuq62-I&ei=6jZ5UsnsDIa50QXttYHoBA&usg=AFQjCNFI91lo_1PXIDmH9pxXceUB_qO2wQ

Smile

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:28 pm

What's the Sun's position in all of this GE? I was hoping you'd know. Let's face it, the DM always present a respectable balanced take on affairs but the Sun simply eclipses them in terms of these very attributes.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:28 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
tigerleghorn wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

And I shall be there.........
I hear the match is sold out.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Submachine wrote:It's all just for the kids though really isn't it? I loved watching it when I was a kid but when you get older you realise that it's just some dancing before a match. I've somewhat lost my passion for dance since Bonnie Langford disappeared from our TV screens in the early 90's. I know she made a comeback in Dancing on Ice. But it just wasn't the same, not the same thing at all.
You know what else I loved when I was a Kid? Poprock, you know the bits of dust you ate that exploded in your mouth? I thought I missed that but then I had some recently and it turns out it’s not the same either. Nothing is though is it?
Alan? Wheres Alan.
Excellent!!Very Happy 

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:18 pm

I had a Freddo bar that I stole from a sugared out kid on Halloween. It had pop rocks in it. I thought my root canal had gone wrong. Awful stuff.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:29 pm

What a good natured thread - everyone's just so civilised... What's going on? Does this happen often?

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Hound of Harrow wrote:I think we should send this lad out to face the hake. He's about 4' 10' and drinks in my local...

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCkQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DsAhEFuq62-I&ei=6jZ5UsnsDIa50QXttYHoBA&usg=AFQjCNFI91lo_1PXIDmH9pxXceUB_qO2wQ

Smile
A lone child against fish?

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next