The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Read vs Halfpenny for World Player Of The Year

+33
geoff998rugby
butterfingers
Taffineastbourne
RuggerRadge2611
kingraf
Scrumpy
Luckless Pedestrian
aucklandlaurie
jimmyinthewell68
wrfc1980
Biltong
bedfordwelsh
The Saint
Sidestep
nganboy
Jhamer25
Fantasticbarnsmell
majesticimperialman
quinsforever
flyhalffactory
Hubert Davenport
blackcanelion
Mad for Chelsea
maestegmafia
Bullsbok
rainbow-warrior
MMaaxx
fa0019
Scratch
kiakahaaotearoa
welshy824 (new)
Taylorman
disneychilly
37 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Read vs Halfpenny for World Player Of The Year Empty Read vs Halfpenny for World Player Of The Year

Post by disneychilly Mon 18 Nov 2013, 8:19 pm

Stuck on this one eh. Both have been in mesmeric form and have played huge hands in memorable wins for their teams. Happy with either.

Have read that Read benefits from the team around him this year which I don't believe. He's one of the standouts who would be missed more than the usual 7 and 10. Such a vital cog.

Halfpenny has been so assured all season and on form has probably been the best goalkicker in the game this year. Set up the try which broke the 3rd Lions test open.

No matter who wins, kudos to both for a brilliant year. (Half) Penny for your thoughts? See what I did there?

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Read vs Halfpenny for World Player Of The Year Empty Re: Read vs Halfpenny for World Player Of The Year

Post by Taylorman Mon 18 Nov 2013, 8:29 pm

Read for me where it was 1/2p around the Lions tour. Read has been super consistent all year and seem to be either the catalyst, link or finishiner for just about every AB try this year. Winning replacement captain over France. Take 1/2p's goal kicking and the 3rd Lions test away and theres not a lot left. Was kept out of all attack during the 6N and first two Lions tests so gets most of his plaudits as goalkicker and defender where Read encompassed the complete role of no.8 though the entire year and more.

Either deserves it, but Read more so. I've seen much better 15's in a single calendar year before, but not a better no. 8 performance than Reads this year.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Read vs Halfpenny for World Player Of The Year Empty Re: Read vs Halfpenny for World Player Of The Year

Post by welshy824 (new) Mon 18 Nov 2013, 8:32 pm

obviously nationality has NOTHING to do with this Wink but I would go for Halfpenny, I just think with being player of the series for the Lions, player of the six nations, his form throughout this years international calendar justifies it, also his positioning in the lions series meant that Aus' kicks for territory were being fielded and returned with interest, and his set up for Norths try also proved he hasn't lost his attacking play.

But as a loose forward, watching Read is a pleasure, a year or so back I questioned why he was regarded as the best 8 in the world, as while he was a good player he never did anything special and didn't stand out in the all blacks compared to other 8's such as Picamoles. But this year he has proved me wrong, has been everywhere, his offloading game is superb and is consistently good, also negating the loss of McCaw during his sabbatical.

Frankly as a Welshman I would love for Halfpenny (god he is a frustrating man, at least God didn't make him tall!!!) to get it, but both deserve it and would not be disappointed if Read won it!

welshy824 (new)

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 (new) Mon 18 Nov 2013, 8:37 pm

Taylorman wrote:Read for me where it was 1/2p around the Lions tour. Read has been super consistent all year and seem to be either the catalyst, link or finishiner for just about every AB try this year. Winning replacement captain over France. Take 1/2p's goal kicking and the 3rd Lions test away and theres not a lot left. Was kept out of all attack during the 6N and first two Lions tests so gets most of his plaudits as goalkicker and defender where Read encompassed the complete role of no.8 though the entire year and more.

Either deserves it, but Read more so. I've seen much better 15's in a single calendar year before, but not a better no. 8 performance than Reads this year.
Taylor I think you are being incredibly harsh on Halfpenny. I understand you are a kiwi. His positioning as a fullback is second to none, I remember in the 3rd lions test, whenever the Aussies kicked Halfpenny was there to field it.
His defence is also superb and cant think of any better defenders at fullback
People often talk about his Goal kicking but it is one of his many strings for his bow, it just makes him even more critical to Wales (and this year the Lions) he is Mr consistent
And when you say disregard the 3rd lions test, its a bit harsh as that has been the biggest game, with the tour resting on it, and Halfpenny rose to it, displaying his attacking prominence which people seem to forget he possess (see how he was entering the line in the Argentina match and England match?)

welshy824 (new)

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 18 Nov 2013, 8:42 pm

Put them in a ring and make them fight for it. boxing 

Don't mind if either of those win as they deserve it. Unlike Carter last year.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 18 Nov 2013, 8:42 pm

Difficult to compare like with like, Read is the best 8 in the world with perhaps only Parisse even approaching his class as the complete player. Read will go on to be one of the best of all time not only amongst the wealth of AB 8s but across the world.

1/2 is by far the best 15 in the world right now, his 50 test points effectively won the series for the lions. As a kicker he is unsurpassed, excellent under a high ball and can finish, and if he continues at this rate he will be up there with the all time greats like cullen and hastings.

On this season alone though, I think the Lions success and his part in it, might tip the odds.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 18 Nov 2013, 8:54 pm

If halfpenny did not kick goals would he be on the list...as in does he deserve it off the back of his all over play? What was his test match accuracy figures for the year from 6N onwards?

Read has been pretty standout.  Tough on a guy who was 6n player of the year and man of the lions series but he's in the pack now with Ben smith.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:03 pm

Read for me. Surely the best 8 in the world. Halfpenny is a goal kicking machine but not the stand alone 15 in the world to me.

MMaaxx

Location : New place every week, live between SA, Porugal and UK

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:04 pm

fa0019 wrote:If halfpenny did not kick goals would he be on the list...as in does he deserve it off the back of his all over play? What was his test match accuracy figures for the year from 6N onwards?

Read has been pretty standout.  Tough on a guy who was 6n player of the year and man of the lions series but he's in the pack now with Ben smith.
Why ask the questions, go figure yourself! If you do not know the answers don't criticise in the first place. Mind you only to be expected from you.

Exceptional Lions tour winning best player aware scoring 50 points. AI's so far, kicked 13 converted 12 of them. Error free in both games so far. Best full back in the world without doubt against best No 8 in the world without doubt. In a nutshell, don't care who wins it both deserve it but my Welshness goes for 1/2 seeing as there has to be a winner.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:07 pm

fa0019 wrote:If halfpenny did not kick goals would he be on the list...as in does he deserve it off the back of his all over play? What was his test match accuracy figures for the year from 6N onwards?

1/2p is an excellent goal kicker . Take away the goalkicking and he wont really stand out for his fullback play alone . He won the Lions and 6N series with his goalkicking but hasnt really set the world alight as a fullback lets be honest. Dagg is the better fullback , booming clearing kicks, solid defender and above all he's a massive attacking force in that all black backline . Read should get it imo . He's been phenomenal everywhere .
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:08 pm

Has to be Read, stand out player for the All Blacks this year even ahead of Ben Smith, easily the best 8 in world rugby at the moment

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:08 pm

Halfpenny and Read...!!!

Very tough call, both dynamic, both excellent, both successful.

Halfpenny's defence is exceptional, he lays his body on the line time and time again. His sense of attack and pace are superb.

Read could pickpocket Fagin in broad day light, he can run and create too.

Glad I am not on the panel, very tough call. Both are superb

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:13 pm

I really don't think it's fair to say "take Halfpenny's kicking out of it and what's left?". His place-kicking is one of his strengths and assets, and surely needs to be taken into consideration. Otherwise we may as well say "take Read's offloading skills away". I know people like to scoff at place kicking but it's a very important part of the game (generally accounts for half a team's score or more would be my guess), and it's not rare at all that the result of a game comes down to which team has the better kicker (first Lions test, anyone?).

As pointed out, Halfpenny also is the best positional full-back in the world, extremely good under the high ball and a very fine defender. It's one of the problems with great place-kickers that their other attributes often get forgotten too (Wilkinson, Jenkins spring to mind also).

Having said that, on this one I would go with Read, just, who has been simply exceptional this year.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:15 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:I really don't think it's fair to say "take Halfpenny's kicking out of it and what's left?". His place-kicking is one of his strengths and assets, and surely needs to be taken into consideration. Otherwise we may as well say "take Read's offloading skills away". I know people like to scoff at place kicking but it's a very important part of the game (generally accounts for half a team's score or more would be my guess), and it's not rare at all that the result of a game comes down to which team has the better kicker (first Lions test, anyone?).

As pointed out, Halfpenny also is the best positional full-back in the world, extremely good under the high ball and a very fine defender. It's one of the problems with great place-kickers that their other attributes often get forgotten too (Wilkinson, Jenkins spring to mind also).

Having said that, on this one I would go with Read, just, who has been simply exceptional this year.
Well take away his offloading skills and you have 6 tries in his last 6 games Whistle  Wink  Seriously though , thats 1/2p's main attribute and reason for his nomination . Not his general fullback play
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:15 pm

I'd be happy with either. Read probably just sneaks it for me. But posters please, if Halfpenny does win it lets not go on a hate campaign, or talk of IRB bias, or slate the player! Let's all get along nicely and appreciate the talents of both. Same if Read wins. Deal?!

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:17 pm

Agree Chelsea

It was a jenks whose kicking won 97 and Half's 49/79 points won this tour, but both had/have so much more to their game

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:18 pm

Halfpenny's had a great year. But is it really a contest. Read's been fantastic in every game he's played against the top sides in the world and redefined the no. 8 role. He's brought the pace and skill of an outside centre to the role of a loose forward.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:19 pm

Bullsbok wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:I really don't think it's fair to say "take Halfpenny's kicking out of it and what's left?". His place-kicking is one of his strengths and assets, and surely needs to be taken into consideration. Otherwise we may as well say "take Read's offloading skills away". I know people like to scoff at place kicking but it's a very important part of the game (generally accounts for half a team's score or more would be my guess), and it's not rare at all that the result of a game comes down to which team has the better kicker (first Lions test, anyone?).

Well take away his offloading skills and you have 6 tries in his last 6 games Whistle  Wink   Seriously though , thats 1/2p's main attribute and reason for his nomination . Not his general fullback play
That's a load of Bull

And even if it is, with what he achieved doing it, it's enough

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:19 pm

Scratch, I generally agree, but have to disagree on Neil Jenkins! He was in the Lions team in '97 for his kicking but was a liability at full back. Defensively so weak, like a revolving door! Poor under the high ball too!

Last edited by Griff on Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:20 pm

Griff wrote:I'd be happy with either. Read probably just sneaks it for me. But posters please, if Halfpenny does win it lets not go on a hate campaign, or talk of IRB bias, or slate the player! Let's all get along nicely and appreciate the talents of both. Same if Read wins. Deal?!
thumbsup happy to see either win, the panel will no doubt be made up of, wiser cooler more rational folks than on 606v2!

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:31 pm

Do we know the nominees yet:

Presumably something like
Read
Halfpenny
B Smith
AN Other

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:32 pm

Griff wrote:Scratch, I generally agree, but have to disagree on Neil Jenkins! He was in the Lions team in '97 for his kicking but was a liability at full back. Defensively so weak, like a revolving door! Poor under the high ball too!
Agreed he had his weaknesses but measured against the job he was there to do of course parts of his game aren't up there with 1000 plus test points - and 41/59 points to win lions 97 -

He will always be remembered as the metronomic kicker but he was a great attacking 10 , a great distributor and skilled chip and chaser. And a bloody nice bloke.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubert Davenport Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:35 pm

Read plays for a team that can beat top sides. Halfpenny plays for a gutless Welsh team who can't front up to the big 3. No contest.

Hubert Davenport

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:37 pm

Without a shadow of a doubt it has to be Halfpenny, even taking into account Read has been exceptional in a squad of world class players. The thing that has turned it for Halfpenny is his accolades over not just twelve months of consistent world class play but probably the last eighteen.... 2012 player of the series against Oz, 2013 6Ns Player of the tournament, 2013 Lions Player of the tournament including most points in a series, and most points in a test match. Take into account his age... he is only 24 now and the atrocious injuries that have plagued him since he was called at 19 into the 2009 Lions tour (serious thigh injury), 2010 (neck, ankle), 2011 (thigh I think), the guy is phenomenal. It beggars belief when people say if he wasn't for his kicking he wouldn't be up there with the best, I just can't imagine Dagg performing as good as Halfpenny if he wore the Red 15 shirt instead of the Black one, and has far as Daggs booming kicks well 1/2p hits 50m dead ball pens with ease and punts out of hand at what must be 70m.

As good as Mr Read has been you have to take into account he plays with 22 world class players at international level, so its got to be Mr Halfpenny for me.

Last edited by flyhalffactory on Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:38 pm

Scratch, I see what you mean. Yes, for Wales he really got the backline going. On that Lions tour though he wasn't great as an FB. Just there to make the kicks!

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:39 pm

isnt Read already the top try-scoring international number 8 of all time? did i read that correctly this weekend?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:40 pm

Hubert Davenport wrote:Read plays for a team that can beat top sides. Halfpenny plays for a gutless Welsh team who can't front up to the big 3. No contest.

Which one then?!

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:43 pm

Read. the most all round player and the best 8 in world rugby.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Fantasticbarnsmell Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:43 pm

I would pick Read over Halfpenny this year. Read has just been phenomenal this year, it's really hard to deny. Hearing the English commentators going on about it during the game I couldn't help but feel it was a sly dig at the Welsh... But maybe reading all the comments on this forum has warped my brain into thinking everything has a Welsh vs English subcontext. Short answer Read. Then Halfpenny for his Lions tour contributions. Then Ben Smith.

Fantasticbarnsmell

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:44 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:Without a shadow of a doubt it has to be Halfpenny, even taking into account Read has been exception in a squad of world class players. The thing that has turned it for Halfpenny is his accolades over not just twelve months of consistent world class play but probably the last eighteen.... 2012 player of the series against Oz, 2013 6Ns Player of the tournament, 2013 Lions Player of the tournament including most points in a series, and most points in a test match. Take into account his age... he is only 24 now and the atrocious injuries that have plagued him since he was called at 19 into the 2009 Lions tour (serious thigh injury), 2010 (neck, ankle), 2011 (thigh I think), the guy is phenomenal. It beggars belief when people say if he wasn't for his kicking he wouldn't be up there with the best, I just can't imagine Dagg performing as good as Halfpenny if he wore the Red 15 shirt instead of the Black one, and has far as Daggs booming kicks well 1/2p hits 50m dead ball pens with ease and punts out of hand at what must be 70m.

As good as Mr Read has been you have to take into account he plays with 22 world class players at international level, so its got to be Mr Halfpenny for me.

http://stats.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/records/player/most_points_match.html?id=1;type=class I doubt that .
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:47 pm

I'm thinking the order should be something like.
1. Read
2. B Smith
3. JDV
4. Halfpenny

Whistle

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:52 pm

Not sure what B Smith has done to be included. But do agree with Read, JDV, Halfpenny.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:59 pm

He was the standout player until his conversion to centre for the November series. If he was still on the wing we'd probably be arguing if anyone had as good a year as him. Even so he comfortably leads the pack in terms of try scored this year.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:59 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Not sure what B Smith has done to be included. But do agree with Read, JDV, Halfpenny.

Have you watched much rugby outside of the 6N this year?
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:03 pm

Bullsbok wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:Without a shadow of a doubt it has to be Halfpenny, even taking into account Read has been exception in a squad of world class players. The thing that has turned it for Halfpenny is his accolades over not just twelve months of consistent world class play but probably the last eighteen.... 2012 player of the series against Oz, 2013 6Ns Player of the tournament, 2013 Lions Player of the tournament including most points in a series, and most points in a test match. Take into account his age... he is only 24 now and the atrocious injuries that have plagued him since he was called at 19 into the 2009 Lions tour (serious thigh injury), 2010 (neck, ankle), 2011 (thigh I think), the guy is phenomenal. It beggars belief when people say if he wasn't for his kicking he wouldn't be up there with the best, I just can't imagine Dagg performing as good as Halfpenny if he wore the Red 15 shirt instead of the Black one, and has far as Daggs booming kicks well 1/2p hits 50m dead ball pens with ease and punts out of hand at what must be 70m.

http://stats.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/records/player/most_points_match.html?id=1;type=class I doubt that .
OK just for you I'll clarify it most points in a LIONS tests match
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:06 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
Bullsbok wrote:

Fair enough , most points by a Lions player in a test match . The most points in a Lions test Match is 33 by Dan Carter in 05
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:12 pm

For me it should be between the following three:
Read = all round great player and is magic with the ball in hand
Halfpenny = Won us the Six Nations and Lions tour
De Villiers = for me, it is the best year he has ever had in the Boks jersey. If not player of the year the definitely captain of the year.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:17 pm

Bullsbok wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:
Bullsbok wrote:

Fair enough , most points by a Lions player in a test match . The most points in a Lions test Match is 33 by Dan Carter in 05
Sigh
I can see we'll be ping ponging you for your accuracy from now on fellar

Daily Mail wrote:Spurred on by the support of friends, teammates and countrymen, Leigh Halfpenny put the emotional pain of missing a potentially series-clinching kick in the second test behind him with a record-shattering performance in the British and Irish Lions' drought-breaking victory over Australia.

Halfpenny set up two tries and kicked five penalties and three conversions for a 21-point haul in the Lions' 41-16 win over the Wallabies on Saturday.

The 24-year-old Welsh fullback was voted player of the match, and player of the series as the Lions claimed their first series win since 1997 and first in Australia since 1989, delighting the tens of thousands of travelling Lions fans in the 83,702-strong crowd at Sydney's Olympic Stadium.

His 21-point haul beat the 20 which Jonny Wilkinson scored in the Lions' one-off test against Argentina in 2005, a mark matched by Stephen Jones in the second test against South Africa in 2009.

Halfpenny's 49 points across three tests in Australia also broke the record for most points in a test series for the British and Irish Lions, surpassing the 41 scored by fellow Welshman Neil Jenkins - his kicking coach - in the 1997 series against South Africa.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:34 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
Bullsbok wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:
Bullsbok wrote:

Sigh
I can see we'll be ping ponging you for your accuracy from now on fellar

Daily Mail wrote:Spurred on by the support of friends, teammates and countrymen, Leigh Halfpenny put the emotional pain of missing a potentially series-clinching kick in the second test behind him with a record-shattering performance in the British and Irish Lions' drought-breaking victory over Australia.

Halfpenny set up two tries and kicked five penalties and three conversions for a 21-point haul in the Lions' 41-16 win over the Wallabies on Saturday.

The 24-year-old Welsh fullback was voted player of the match, and player of the series as the Lions claimed their first series win since 1997 and first in Australia since 1989, delighting the tens of thousands of travelling Lions fans in the 83,702-strong crowd at Sydney's Olympic Stadium.

His 21-point haul beat the 20 which Jonny Wilkinson scored in the Lions' one-off test against Argentina in 2005, a mark matched by Stephen Jones in the second test against South Africa in 2009.

Halfpenny's 49 points across three tests in Australia also broke the record for most points in a test series for the British and Irish Lions, surpassing the 41 scored by fellow Welshman Neil Jenkins - his kicking coach - in the 1997 series against South Africa.

Well if we're going to chuck facts and figures around they might as well be accurate:hug: 
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:38 pm

Like I've said all along. 1/2p will win because Read and Smith will split the vote between the two.

The way the voting is done- a group of 'legendary' players all assign man of the match points for every test, points for second best and 3rd best from memory.

With ben Smith and Read sharing many of the AB tests this year between them they'll knock eachother out- some will go Read, some will go Smith, some others.

With 1/2p, because he stood out (or because there werent any others within co-ey of his level) he'll get all the votes from his tests, and none were vs the AB's.

So 1/2p will win it by default anyway...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:40 pm

Most points for the Lions in a series:
Halfpenny 49 2013
Jenkins 41 1997
Jones 39 2007

Against Lions in a series
Hewson 46 1983*
Burke 44 2001
Carter 44 2003#

All players played 3 matches with the exception of Hewson (4) and Carter (2).

Most points in a game game for Lions
Halfpenny 21 2013
Wilkinson 20 2005
Jones 20 2009

Most point in a game against Lions
Carter 33 2005
Burke 25 2001
Burke 19 2001

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon 18 Nov 2013, 11:48 pm

Taylorman wrote:Like I've said all along. 1/2p will win because Read and Smith will split the vote between the two.

The way the voting is done- a group of 'legendary' players all assign man of the match points for every test, points for second best and 3rd best from memory.

With ben Smith and Read sharing many of the AB tests this year between them they'll knock eachother out- some will go Read, some will go Smith, some others.

With 1/2p, because he stood out (or because there werent any others within co-ey of his level) he'll get all the votes from his tests, and none were vs the AB's.

So 1/2p will win it by default anyway...
Interesting. It's 3pts, 2 pts and 1 pt awarded per match. It seems to me like 3 pts goes to the best player in the winning team, 2 in the losing team and 1 for the second best player in the winning team.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue 19 Nov 2013, 12:27 am

So Carter has an average of 22 points per game against the Lions while Burke also scored 44 points in 2 games but none in the third . Wow
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue 19 Nov 2013, 12:46 am

Aus weren't very good though this year. Not compared to SA or NZ, and not compared to Aus historically. Not sure if the quality of opposition counts in these things with the panel.

I have to say going an entire calendar year unbeaten would tend to make me think someone on the NZ team should be getting the award. Feels right that the best player on by far the best team gets it. 1/2P played well for the lions but i just dont think thats enough this year.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue 19 Nov 2013, 1:12 am

It's a good point Quin. It's hard to go past players in a top team. I know that the French centre combination went well down here in June, but I'm not sure they'll get much qudos.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 19 Nov 2013, 1:35 am

quinsforever wrote:Aus weren't very good though this year. Not compared to SA or NZ, and not compared to Aus historically. Not sure if the quality of opposition counts in these things with the panel.

I have to say going an entire calendar year unbeaten would tend to make me think someone on the NZ team should be getting the award. Feels right that the best player on by far the best team gets it. 1/2P played well for the lions but i just dont think thats enough this year.
He hasn't just played well for the Lions though, he was 2013 6Ns player of the series, and before that he was player of the series against the Aussies and MOM in the final test, and nominated for 2012 6Ns player of the series...... that just about spans 18 months "best of breed"
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue 19 Nov 2013, 1:38 am

I think 1/2 the selection panel are ex Lions so I'm sure Halfpenny will win.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sidestep Tue 19 Nov 2013, 1:44 am

I love halfpenny . Brilliant player and has made the shirt his own for any team he's featured In. But. Even in welsh circles people wish for more counter attacking from him. Which is an important weapon in a fullbacks arsenal. Read however could do no more. Nothing to fault.
I would be happy for halfpenny to win it. He's Also done nothing wrong. But just feel Read has been the complete no8. Halfpenny hasn't made full use of his counter attacking ability as the best fullbacks do.

Sidestep

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 19 Nov 2013, 1:45 am

blackcanelion wrote:I think 1/2 the selection panel are ex Lions so I'm sure Halfpenny will win.
Why do you say that?

These are the last 9 winners
2004 Schalk Burger ( South Africa)
2005 Daniel Carter ( New Zealand)
2006 Richie McCaw ( New Zealand)
2007 Bryan Habana ( South Africa)
2008 Shane Williams ( Wales)
2009 Richie McCaw ( New Zealand)
2010 Richie McCaw ( New Zealand)
2011 Thierry Dusautoir ( France)
2012 Dan Carter ( New Zealand)
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 19 Nov 2013, 1:47 am

Certainly is beggars belief when people claim all Halfpenny can do is kick a ball. Guess it's also beggars belief to claim Ben Smith wouldn't be a worthy candidate, guess these people haven't watched rugby for that long. Halfpenny has been one of our best players, and was certainly the best player and played his heart out when we were at a low-point. And yes of course, he was fundamental in two 6 Nations championships and a Lions series win (first in 16 years).

Having said that Read is in phenominal form as of late and in player/leadership term has surpassed Carter and McCaw, something that is nigh on impossible. Not only that but he's getting better. It's almost scary!

I would opt for Read. I think Read will win it. Picking an All Black seems to be the political choice now, evident by the year BOD was overlooked for an AB. A welsh player winning is not the political choice, because he's ummm....welsh. So I guess Read will win it.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next