The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Player of the Year

+22
Fanster
boomeranga
George Carlin
Pal Joey
doctor_grey
The Great Aukster
brennomac
hjumpshoe
majesticimperialman
wayne
R!skysports
RubyGuby
yappysnap
mikey_dragon
rodders
IanBru
SecretFly
Tattie Scones RRN
GLove39
fa0019
RDW
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who should win?

World Player of the Year Vote_lcap13%World Player of the Year Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 7 ]
World Player of the Year Vote_lcap57%World Player of the Year Vote_rcap 57% 
[ 32 ]
World Player of the Year Vote_lcap4%World Player of the Year Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 2 ]
World Player of the Year Vote_lcap2%World Player of the Year Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
World Player of the Year Vote_lcap5%World Player of the Year Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 3 ]
World Player of the Year Vote_lcap19%World Player of the Year Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 11 ]

Total Votes : 56

World Player of the Year Empty World Player of the Year

Post by RDW Fri 30 Oct 2015, 12:19 pm

Statement from World Rugby:

RWC 2015 finalists Daniel Carter, Michael Hooper, David Pocock and Julian Savea are joined by Scotland captain Greig Laidlaw and Wales second-row Alun Wyn Jones as the six nominees

30/10/2015 12:00 GMT
Nominees for World Rugby Player of the Year 2015 announced
World Rugby has announced the shortlist for the prestigious Player of the Year 2015 Award in association with MasterCard, which will be presented at the World Rugby Awards at Battersea Evolution in London on 1 November.

Following a stellar of year for international rugby, which will culminate with Saturday’s Rugby World Cup final, the shortlist features a world-class line-up of players who have excited and inspired fans around the world with their feats this year. Rugby World Cup 2015 finalists New Zealand and Australia both have two nominees and Wales and Scotland one each.

The 2015 nominees are: Daniel Carter (New Zealand), Michael Hooper (Australia), Alun Wyn Jones (Wales), Greig Laidlaw (Scotland), David Pocock (Australia) and Julian Savea (New Zealand).

DANIEL CARTER (NEW ZEALAND)
A two-time recipient of this award, in 2005 and 2012, Daniel Carter will play his 112th and final test for the All Blacks in the RWC 2015 final, bringing down the curtain on an illustrious 12-year career which has seen him score a world record 1,579 test points. Desperate to bow out with RWC success, having seen his 2011 tournament cut short by injury, the 33-year-old has been rolling back the years with some impressive performances in recent weeks.

MICHAEL HOOPER (AUSTRALIA)
The youngest of the six nominees, having only turned 24 yesterday, Michael Hooper became the fastest and second youngest player to reach 50 test caps in the semi-final win over Argentina. The perfect link man between forwards and backs, he is one third of the formidable Wallabies back row alongside Scott Fardy and fellow nominee David Pocock that have dominated the breakdown at RWC 2015.

ALUN WYN JONES (WALES)
A towering presence in the Wales second row, Alun Wyn Jones joined the club of rugby test centurions in their quarter-final exit to South Africa, combining his 94 Welsh caps with six for the British and Irish Lions. The 30-year-old anchors the front five and is a fierce competitor, not to mention an inspiring figure on and off the field. He has started all 10 of his tests in 2015, captaining Wales to victory in their warm-up match with Ireland in Dublin.

GREIG LAIDLAW (SCOTLAND)
Leading by example as Scotland captain, Greig Laidlaw bowed out of Rugby World Cup 2015 in the quarter-finals as the leading point-scorer with 79, 26 of them – including a crucial late try – coming in the 36-33 win over Samoa which confirmed his side’s place in the quarter-finals as Pool B runners-up. The proud 30-year-old started 12 of Scotland’s 14 tests this year and came off the bench in their pool victory over the USA.

DAVID POCOCK (AUSTRALIA)
The 27-year-old’s skills at the breakdown are legendary and he has been a thorn in many a team’s side at RWC 2015, unsurprisingly leading the statistics for turnovers with 14 to show he is back to his scavenging best after undergoing two major knee constructions in successive years. Nominated for World Rugby Player of the Year for the third time, David Pocock is both a calming and inspirational presence in the Wallabies back row.

JULIAN SAVEA (NEW ZEALAND)
The All Blacks winger has a try-scoring rate that few, if any, can match in world rugby, having crossed the try-line 38 times in 40 tests since his debut in June 2012. The 25-year-old, a former Junior Player of the Year who was nominated for this award in 2014, has scored eight tries at RWC 2015 to equal the record for a single tournament held by Jonah Lomu and Bryan Habana. He has scored two hat-tricks among that haul, including one in the quarter-final victory over France.

World Rugby Chairman Bernard Lapasset said: “The World Rugby Player of the Year Award in association with MasterCard is the most prestigious award in the men’s game and there were several players in the frame for the shortlist, reflecting not just a great year for rugby, but the most compelling and competitive Rugby World Cup to date.

“Each player thoroughly deserves their nomination and I am sure that the panel will have much to think about over the next couple of days as they determine who will be the recipient of this wonderful accolade.”

The World Rugby Player of the Year 2015 in association with MasterCard nominees were selected by an independent World Rugby Awards panel, chaired by Australia’s Rugby World Cup 1999-winning captain John Eales.

The panel comprises former players Will Greenwood, Gavin Hastings, Raphaël Ibanez, Francois Pienaar, Agustín Pichot, Scott Quinnell, Tana Umaga and Paul Wallace as well as journalists Pierre Galy (AFP), Stephen Jones (The Sunday Times), Georgina Robinson (Sydney Morning Herald), Jim Kayes (TV3) and Sergio Stuart (Ole, Argentina) and the 20 participating teams at RWC 2015.

The panel has deliberated on every major test played in 2015 from the Six Nations through to The Rugby Championship, World Rugby Pacific Nations Cup and Rugby World Cup 2015, with additional emphasis placed on matches at rugby’s showcase tournament, before determining an average based on number of matches played to deliver a fair opportunity for all.

Following a stellar year of rugby there were a number of players representing a broad range of nations on the cusp of the shortlist.

Eales said: “This has been a very special year for rugby with some outstanding individual and team performances. Through voting and consultation the panel has concluded six worthy finalists for the Player of the Year award. Being a World Cup year, particular weighting has been given to World Cup performances, where there are four candidates who will contest the final on Saturday.”

Previous winners include Brodie Retallick, Kieran Read, Thierry Dusautoir, Shane Williams, Bryan Habana, Schalk Burger, Jonny Wilkinson and Richie McCaw, the All Blacks captain the only player to receive the award more than twice.

The World Rugby Player of the Year 2015 is one of 13 categories of awards, including the World Rugby Team of the Year, World Rugby Coach of the Year, World Rugby Sevens Player of the Year in association with HSBC, World Rugby Women’s Player of the Year and World Rugby Breakthrough Player of the Year.

For more information on the World Rugby Awards, visit www.worldrugby.org/awards.

PREVIOUS PLAYER OF THE YEAR AWARD WINNERS:

2014 – Brodie Retallick (New Zealand)
2013 – Kieran Read (New Zealand)
2012 – Dan Carter (New Zealand)
2011 – Thierry Dusautoir (France)
2010 – Richie McCaw (New Zealand)
2009 – Richie McCaw (New Zealand)
2008 – Shane Williams (Wales)
2007 – Bryan Habana (South Africa)
2006 – Richie McCaw (New Zealand)
2005 – Dan Carter (New Zealand)
2004 – Schalk Burger (South Africa)
2003 – Jonny Wilkinson (England)
2002 – Fabien Galthié (France)
2001 – Keith Wood (Ireland)

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Fri 30 Oct 2015, 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

World Player of the Year Empty Re: World Player of the Year

Post by fa0019 Fri 30 Oct 2015, 12:24 pm

Difficult to see past Pocock but it all really depends on how the match goes tomorrow.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 30 Oct 2015, 12:24 pm

Gaun yersel Greeeeeeeeeeeeg!

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Fri 30 Oct 2015, 12:25 pm

Perhaps they needed Laidlaw there to hold Bennett's hand as he's only wee?

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 30 Oct 2015, 12:25 pm

Without meaning to downplay their achievements as players this year, but I can't help but think that Laidlaw and Jones are in the 'nice to be here' category!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Fri 30 Oct 2015, 12:25 pm

To add....

Well done to all those nominated!

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Fri 30 Oct 2015, 12:27 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Without meaning to downplay their achievements as players this year, but I can't help but think that Laidlaw and Jones are in the 'nice to be here' category!

I agree with this.

It's hard to see past the two Ozzie lads for the award.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 30 Oct 2015, 12:33 pm

For me it has to be Crocodile Hoop. No other player, even Pocock, encapsulates the spirit of the Australian team like that deranged psycho dare-devil, Mad Max Hoop.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 30 Oct 2015, 12:41 pm

If Carter kicks NZ to victory I can see him being in the running as well - he would get the sentimentality vote too.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 30 Oct 2015, 12:44 pm

GREIG LAIDLAW (SCOTLAND)
Leading by example as Scotland captain, Greig Laidlaw bowed out of Rugby World Cup 2015 in the quarter-finals as the leading point-scorer with 79, 26 of them – including a crucial late try – coming in the 36-33 win over Samoa which confirmed his side’s place in the quarter-finals as Pool B runners-up. The proud 30-year-old started 12 of Scotland’s 14 tests this year and came off the bench in their pool victory over the USA.

OK, when I turned 11 I was dead chuffed as I thought I had officially 'made it' as a contributing member of society.

But are there many other 'proud 30-year-olds' out there?
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 30 Oct 2015, 12:47 pm

Whoever ends up getting the gong between Pocock, Hooper & Carter. We can all agree that AWJ is the moral victor!

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 30 Oct 2015, 12:49 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Without meaning to downplay their achievements as players this year, but I can't help but think that Laidlaw and Jones are in the 'nice to be here' category!

i can't believe either are on the list - they aren't even the best players in their respective teams!

Has to be Pocock - no one else comes close. Savea despite his try tally hasn't had a great RWC. Nonu has been much more impressive.

Burger has been fantastic for the boks.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 30 Oct 2015, 2:27 pm

GLove39 wrote:Whoever ends up getting the gong between Pocock, Hooper & Carter. We can all agree that AWJ is the moral victor!

Not Laidlaw then after playing a pivotal role Scotland's 'moral victory' over Aus?

Last edited by mikey_dragon on Fri 30 Oct 2015, 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 30 Oct 2015, 2:30 pm

Warburton would have been my Welsh candidate on the list, although both he and AWJ have been immense for us, as have our half-backs.

POTY is likely a shoot-out between Pocock and Carter, unless Savea does something special in the final. Carter hasn't been at his best consistently throughout this tournament, so I've a feeling the decision panel will take into account his past accolades. No better way for a guy like DC to bow out by playing in a World Cup final, winning and then receiving this award.

Last edited by mikey_dragon on Fri 30 Oct 2015, 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More unnoticed autocorrect errors.)

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 30 Oct 2015, 2:39 pm

The problem with this World Player of the Year is it becomes World Player of the Rugby World Cup.

Can any one even remember the 6N's? Or the Rugby Championship?

I'd go with Pocock, but then he barely played pre RWC. So perhaps Hooper instead. Carter had a mixed start to the year but his recent form has been very good. Hooper or Carter then maybe. The others are all just filler. One of Louw, Bismarck or Burger should have been there I think.

And with my rose tinted glasses on i'm a little gutted for Mike Brown who was Englands best player across the year 6N's-RWC.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 30 Oct 2015, 2:41 pm

I think Laidlaw is a dark horse for this

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 30 Oct 2015, 3:17 pm

yappysnap wrote:
And with my rose tinted glasses on i'm a little gutted for Mike Brown who was Englands best player across the year 6N's-RWC.

I think Mike Brown and Paul O'Connell were the only NH players who should be in consideration to be honest.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri 30 Oct 2015, 3:18 pm

While i do think he should win it

Laidlaw has actually had an AWESOME World Cup - and if it was just for this WC he is in the running - he has been one of the form 9's (and I emphasis - in THIS world cup)

But as I say, i do not expect him or think he should win it

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri 30 Oct 2015, 3:21 pm

Playing a little devils

Dan Carter - actually not done that much this world cup - and looks a bit rusty
David Pocock - Knees up for Pocock - well knees chest
Michael Hooper - head and shoulder above into Brown
Julian Savea - anyone would look good behind NZ - what has he really done run through
Alun Wyn Jones - too many names to fit on the trophy
Greig Laidlaw - Only real choice

PS - this is just for fun

I would go for Hooper

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 30 Oct 2015, 3:28 pm

rodders wrote:
yappysnap wrote:

I think Mike Brown and Paul O'Connell were the only NH players who should be in consideration to be honest.

Hell I didn't even think of POC but what a season/career he's had. He should definitely have been there.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri 30 Oct 2015, 3:39 pm

Actually, when I think about it - Laidlaw is not a total mad shout

to lay that well in a 2nd tier team - is impressive

The rest play in strong teams and get the added benefit of the strong teams

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 30 Oct 2015, 4:01 pm

I would love to vote for my Team Captain, AWJ, BUT, it has to go to Pocock, truly exceptional

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 30 Oct 2015, 4:01 pm

RubyGuby wrote:I think Laidlaw is a dark horse for this

thumbsup

clap Laugh

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 30 Oct 2015, 4:48 pm

I really do not understand what AWJ........LAIDLAW have done that is so special to have them even in there.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri 30 Oct 2015, 5:07 pm

Laidlaw was the top point scorer in the whole world cup

That alone wins you man of a series in the Lions lol

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 30 Oct 2015, 5:39 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I really do not understand what AWJ........LAIDLAW have done that is so special to have them even in there.

Yeah, personally I'd swap them for Launchbury and Youngs.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Fri 30 Oct 2015, 6:05 pm

I think the Laidlaw nomination is a softener for the Joubert debacle, I wouldn't be surprised if he wins it shortly before he is promoted to president of World Rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by hjumpshoe Fri 30 Oct 2015, 7:53 pm

Pocock's got my vote, the guys a machine! Bit surprised but Glad to see AWJ there though, recognition for a player who gives 100% every minute of every match! Also agree with some others above that POC is unfortunate to miss out. I love watching him play, except against Wales, like AWJ he's all heart n soul!

hjumpshoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Oct 2015, 8:03 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

Yeah, personally I'd swap them for Launchbury

Well he was man of the match against Australia, after all. Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Fri 30 Oct 2015, 8:49 pm

How Fernandez Lobbe isn't on that list and Laidlaw/AWJ are is a mystery. Total joke. Po icky by a mile

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Fri 30 Oct 2015, 8:51 pm

brennomac wrote:How Fernandez Lobbe isn't on that list and Laidlaw/AWJ are is a mystery. Total joke.  Po icky by a mile

Needless to say po icky should be pocock

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 30 Oct 2015, 10:04 pm

Before tonight's game Big lol said it this supposed to be the player of the tournament, rather than player of the year?

Player of the tournament usualy come from the team that wins the rugby world cup.

But up to now Pocock gets my vote.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat 31 Oct 2015, 12:21 am

It's a travesty that Brian O'Driscoll has never won it, is it now too late?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 31 Oct 2015, 12:59 am

The Great Aukster wrote:It's a travesty that Brian O'Driscoll has never won it, is it now too late?
Nah, if they can have carter on the list for this calendar year, then why not BOD?  Carter has not played quite so regularly and has not been so good.  Not the best player on his team, so, obviously, not the player of the year.  Probably on the list as a reward for his career.  Unfortunatly, some voters will put him there for the same reason.

I believe Pocock has been head and shoulders above the other players on the list.  .

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 31 Oct 2015, 8:46 am

I voted for Pocock too. There's always that shadow of doubt when a player comes back from injury and he seems even more improved as a player.

Savea has had a very good year. He's an amazing runner and finisher.
So good to watch and he might even put on a show for us again tonight. (but hopefully not!) Wink

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 31 Oct 2015, 8:50 am

I've stopped laughing now. Well done, Frodo.

If we're going to be dull and allocate the award based on the quality of the individual's play over the past year, then Hooper shades Pocock for me, particularly as he had to carry the team during Pocock's injury.

Carter has had a v patchy season and I'm surprised that he's there, to be honest. Between the two locks, I would go for AWJ over POC, who was starting to creak a little towards the end. I'm going to run for my life now after that remark.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 31 Oct 2015, 8:57 am

If Gavin Hastings were there instead of Laidlaw then I might be tempted to reconsider things.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Sat 31 Oct 2015, 9:00 am

I thought Nonu and Schalk had good years, particularly during the RC. I haven't seen a lot of their games during the World Cup though.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 31 Oct 2015, 9:01 am

Poor Julian Savea.

'What? The best test record try scorer in history? On your bike sunshine, that sort of hoity-toity glamorous nonsense doesn't cut any ice with us'.

Perhaps if he made scoring look a little bit more, well, difficult rather than the piece of p!ss which it currently seems to resemble for him?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 31 Oct 2015, 9:05 am

boomeranga wrote:I thought Nonu and Schalk had good years, particularly during the RC.  I haven't seen a lot of their games during the World Cup though.

Good call on Nonu.
He seems to be breaking the line even more this year. Devastating as ever. You can see he is so hungry to score tries and help set them up.
Really deserved that last try against the French.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 31 Oct 2015, 9:11 am

The Great Aukster wrote:It's a travesty that Brian O'Driscoll has never won it, is it now too late?

Well he was Irelands best centre against the Pumas so ...
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Sat 31 Oct 2015, 9:56 am

Stunned by that list, Carter has had 1/2 decent performances in recent memory, one of which being the France non game!!

Shalk Berger has had a sublime year, Falatau has been the standout pack mamber of Wales, Mccaw is very much still alive and kicking...

Greg LAidlaw tho hahahahahahahahahaha

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 31 Oct 2015, 10:37 am

Pocock deserves it. I admire this fella for what he does outside rugby clap

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 31 Oct 2015, 10:46 am

He deserves it for what he does Outside of rugby???

He'll be angry that he's put his body on the line so much now and that his face looks like that of a heavy weight boxer after 12 round!

You should'a kicked back Pocock, put your feet up and watched more wildlife documentaries Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 31 Oct 2015, 11:02 am

Nah mate, he's a great rugby player and deserves to be player of the year on his RWC efforts and Sydney.

ps. he's a decent fella as well vomit

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 31 Oct 2015, 11:13 am

He is a decent fella, ebop. Just messing about with you.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 31 Oct 2015, 11:18 am

I know Fly, I know. But seriously, this guy is like Mother Teresa but with permanent puffy black eyes.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 31 Oct 2015, 5:50 pm

So - Dan Carter world player of the year then?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 31 Oct 2015, 6:01 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:So - Dan Carter world player of the year then?
I wouldn't think so, unless someone in World Rugby is getting a cut of his new earnigas post RWC. He made his kicks, That was it. Not the best player on his team.

But that is only part of the equation (in pragmatic real terms, not the official ones). Considering the Marketing potential? Carter isn a landslide.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 31 Oct 2015, 6:04 pm

I'm not saying he's the best candidate, just that I'd be very surprised if he wasn't given it

And I think you're being harsh on Carter - just 'making his kicks' with in incredible amount of pressure on him is no easy task!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next