The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+28
kouchi
Hibbz
hend085
Shotrock
BlueCoverman
golfermartin
Plunky
Doc
Bob_the_Job
I'm never wrong
puligny
dynamark
barragan
Roller_Coaster
westisbest
MustPuttBetter
lorus59
beninho
SmithersJones
JAS
pedro
1GrumpyGolfer
Davie
kwinigolfer
raycastleunited
navyblueshorts
McLaren
mystiroakey
32 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 10 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 03 Dec 2013, 2:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

That's why these pursuits should be undertaken in videogames and not in real life. Real life has a nasty habit of finding you out to be the hopeless loser you don't think you are.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by pedro Fri 10 Jan 2014, 12:06 am

Laura Davies....  Whistle 

pedro

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 Jan 2014, 12:35 am

BBC Headline: "Ariel Sharon's condition worsens"
How much worse can it get?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 10 Jan 2014, 7:48 am

kwinigolfer wrote:BBC Headline: "Ariel Sharon's condition worsens"
Why don't they just turn him off, he's been dead for years.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 10 Jan 2014, 1:40 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:BBC Headline: "Ariel Sharon's condition worsens"
Damned shame - not! Butcher. A bit of poetic justice what happened to him.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 10 Jan 2014, 8:15 pm

lorus59 wrote:Again we see a sports person tell the world that they are gay and it becomes headline news. Thomas Hitzlsperger is gay, so what? By making such a big deal out if, it reinforces the idea that these people are so different. Imagine if Tiger Woods told the world that he is black.

The joke in my office is that Thomas has come out and confessed........to once being a West Ham player

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 13 Jan 2014, 9:13 am

The West Ham gag doing the rounds at our place after the Forest and City debacles was that "<insert name of bloke>'s wife has been re-named West Ham, because she kicks off every 10 minutes."

drumroll

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 14 Jan 2014, 4:00 pm

Some nice remembrances doing the rounds following Bobby Collins' death, Eddie Gray calling him the most influential player in Leeds United history.

I like a couple of throwaways in the Telegraph obit:
"One of the most combative players to have pulled on a shirt (his or anyone else's)"!!

"Collins liked to sink a whisky before every match but that did not prevent him earning a recall to the Scotland team . . . . ".

Wish Doon was still posting here, sure he'd add a few stories.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 14 Jan 2014, 7:24 pm

Bit quiet these days on here, hope we're not getting bored and finding other things to do, might actually have to do some work for a change if this keeps up.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 14 Jan 2014, 8:12 pm

It has gone a bit quiet, I'm as guilty as anyone..From memory it usually does at this time of year. For me it's all got a bit busier at work as the cost cutting axe is rearing it's ugly head and everyone's running around like the proverbial Blue-arsed flies trying to look too busy to be let go :-/

Apart from that I'm relatively injury free so beginning to rack up the training miles for London in April

Had a quick shifty on the GM forum as well...which is where you'll now find Doon btw Kwini.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 14 Jan 2014, 8:24 pm

Hate to lose posters, JAS, especially the good ones like Doon.

Get those miles in . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 14 Jan 2014, 8:44 pm

All forums are struggling these days (not just sporting ones), and especially at this time of the year

10 years ago I was hosting a general interest forum that was generating 30,000 posts per month. Twitter and facebook have put paid to that. Just look at USENET forums - 15 years ago, largely before the WWW they were THE place to be for discussion - now uk.sport.golf which was a thriving golf community is almost dead and buried

Facebook maybe isn't everyone's cup of tea - certainly for the demographic of a golf community - but that's where people tend to spend their time these days.

This place and the other will get busier as the weather improves, but neither will regain their initial popularity (sadly)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 14 Jan 2014, 8:57 pm

I've never been comfortable with Facebook, aside from it being aimed at the "yoof" I've never really "got it".
It's also a really annoying name. People who are on it claim never to post stuff and barely even look at it, obviously they are liars though or it would go the same way as other social network sites.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 14 Jan 2014, 9:03 pm

I rarely contribute to Facebook but I do read it - a kinda lurkers paradise

Like everything though it changes - often for the worse. When I was first introduced to it, it was promoted as a rather more grown up version of MySpace which was all the rage at the time. For a while it was actually true in that the kiddies all had MySpace pages and Facebook was all aimed at the slightly older generation. Obviously MySpace dies a death and Facebook filled the void

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 14 Jan 2014, 9:28 pm

For my friends in Europe ... any updates on the condition of Michael Schumacher? Reports on the web and stateside are very spotty.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 14 Jan 2014, 9:41 pm

I was slow to get into Facebook but I do tend to post on it relatively regularly these days. Anything from a rant, to congratulating somebody, to posting photographs, a piece of music, a joke or an amusing observation. I've got a fairly open personality and don't particularly care what people think of what I have to say. I would imagine it's not a chosen forum for the privately minded, thin skinned or insecure.

I struggle with the Twittersphere though, I have tried but it just doesn't fit easily, can't put my finger on it.

I can also imagine that both must also be stalkers heaven for some :-/

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 14 Jan 2014, 10:02 pm

I don't really understand that JAS. If you don't care what people think of what you have to say what is the point of posting at all?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 14 Jan 2014, 10:08 pm

I don't have enough friends for Facebook Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 14 Jan 2014, 10:21 pm

I don't really understand what you don't understand Hibbz. Why does there need to be a point?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 14 Jan 2014, 10:42 pm

Sr,
I think there's a medical wall of silence surrounding Schumacher; can't see anything changing until there's a material development in his condition.

PS: Sure McLaren has a confidential medical bulletin to offer from the patient's bedside.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 14 Jan 2014, 11:05 pm

Shotrock

This guy who was the official F1 doctor has a pretty good twitter feed, where he comments on MS's condition. As an expert and not a media fiend. His blog is also pretty good.

https://twitter.com/former_f1doc

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 15 Jan 2014, 1:12 am

Thanks Kwin and Mac ... Here's hoping he recovers and soon.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 15 Jan 2014, 9:45 am

Tried facebook myself, met up with a few old chums and realised why I hadn't seen em for so long. Really was quite addictive at the time tho, but I found myself lurking a lot, especially on ex gfs profiles. It made me feel dirty so I forced myself to give it up. It has changed my life. It made me realise how self absorbed you have to be to use it regularly. Who cares what you say or think? Not me. If I was that bothered I'd still be real friends! Also some inappropriate posts made me think twice - have deleted account.

Meribel on Saturday for me - shall try and find shooeys collision area and take some creepy photos....
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Wed 15 Jan 2014, 12:16 pm

Facebook for me is a way of finding out what's happening. My wife has such a large family (being one of 10) and they are mostly based in the Midlands, so Facebook hepls us keep in touch with what's going on.

It also was quite useful over Christmas. I have end stage kidney failure and it's much easier to ask your Facebook friends and family for a kidney, in a slightly impersonal way, than it is face-to-face.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 15 Jan 2014, 12:51 pm

As quite a private person I don't get facebook or why people need to put their lives on show for everyone to see.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 15 Jan 2014, 1:23 pm

incontinentia wrote:As quite a private person I don't get facebook or why people need to put their lives on show for everyone to see.

That gets said by quite a lot of people - yet it's not really what Facebook is all about (at least not the way I use it or the people I interact with)

Yes it is true that there are some people who use it to tell the world what they have for dinner, what time they are going to go to bed or what time they've woken up, but those people tend to get removed from my friends list as they are the sort of people that usually don't have anything else useful to share

I've just checked my own recent activity on there though (apart from browsing/reading) .. and it tends to be the following

* Sharing news stories of particular interest for comment/debate
* Sharing amusing pictures or music videos
* Football banter - discussing your teams successes and your friends' teams failures Wink
* I have some friends either from here or the other place, or from my own Golf club where we can discuss golf matters
* Music friends. I have one friend on there who does a twice weekly internet radio show; I use it to interact with him and his show when live on air. I also used to do the same thing when I had my own internet radio show - "live" interaction with listeners
* I also use the ability to interactively "chat" with friends, so doing away with the need for mesengers like MSN, Skype, Yahoo etc. Getting everything in one place instead of using multiple applications

Maybe people who have tried it, based on the original premise of having it expose their private life should rethink along these line and give it another try? Removing people who just use it to post pictures of cats is very easy

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 15 Jan 2014, 1:35 pm

* Sharing amusing pictures or music videos

I think this is why most people have deleted their facebook accounts.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 15 Jan 2014, 2:01 pm

I must say I don't flood it with them - just occasional ones.

Who exactly are these "most people" who have deleted accounts? As far as I can tell it's still growing rapidly

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 15 Jan 2014, 2:16 pm

I consider myself most people. But I am schizophrenic....

MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 16 Jan 2014, 9:43 am

Facebook is fine, you can always filter out stuff if people flood it with stuff you dont want to see, or just unfriend them. I dont think it is a yoof thing as mentioned above, but then that depends on who you friend. Its very good for birthdays, no need to send a card again. You can also find out which ex school friend has turned out the most racist.

Its pretty harmless, if you set your privacy settings.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 16 Jan 2014, 9:48 am

On another note, and i cannot be bothered to raise a new thread, Golf Insurance, i have been playing for years and never had it. A guy at my Wifes work played recently and stuck a shot in to a car wash to the side of the course, and smashed the windscreen. She has therefore been on to me about getting some, just in case. So who has it and is it worth it?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu 16 Jan 2014, 10:01 am

Tumbleweed 

Think everyones out playing golf!
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 16 Jan 2014, 12:43 pm

beninho wrote:On another note, and i cannot be bothered to raise a new thread, Golf Insurance, i have been playing for years and never had it. A guy at my Wifes work played recently and stuck a shot in to a car wash to the side of the course, and smashed the windscreen. She has therefore been on to me about getting some, just in case.  So who has it and is it worth it?

Is any insurance worth it until you need it?

Mine comes with a load of 241 green fee vouchers and a couple of free rounds at DeVere or Marriot courses. Had it for 3 or 4 years and haven't ever used any of them!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 16 Jan 2014, 2:13 pm

Same smithers! I'm not interested in vouchers.

I started buying golf insurance when I started going on golf holidays. Having seen the way Ryanair throw bags around there is no way I am taking my clubs on a plane without insurance.

I've heard stories of people trying to sue after being hit by a golf ball but I've never really thought of this as a risk. It's probably something that is on the increase however.

My insurance includes hole in one cover, so it is probably a safe bet I will never get a hole in one while I am covered.

What's happened to bluecoverman? He could help with your insurance queries!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu 16 Jan 2014, 5:55 pm

He's still stuck at his desk dealing with insurance queries!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu 16 Jan 2014, 9:44 pm

My thoughts on the subject (for what they are worth!)

I think that probably the incident that worries us all the most and has the potential to cause us the greatest financial distress is the errant golf shot that hits a fellow golfer. The prospect of causing a personal injury that results in a solicitors letter dropping on our doormat advising that we are being sued for all our worldly goods is certainly not a pleasant one. It is true that fortunately these occurrences are very rare indeed, but they do happen and in our increasingly litigious society I think we are all agreed that legal cases of this nature will only increase in the future. I have dealt with only one and that was a few years ago, but there was a well publicised court case last year which resulted in a settlement figure of nearly £500,000. The claim I had some involvement with occurred during a friendly veterans match between two neighbourly Essex golf clubs. An away player on his first visit to the home course walked up the side of a green and was hit full in the face by a wayward drive from an adjacent tee. Unfortunately he was wearing glasses and sadly he lost the sight of one eye.

The claim was eventually settled at £25,000 by the Household Insurers of the golfer who hit the drive. That doesn't really seem a great deal of money for all that distress and the loss of an eye but the chap was elderly and a person's age is one of the factors considered by the Insurers when calculating the settlement figure. Interestingly the Insurance Company then successfully partially claimed against the Liability Insurers of the Golf Club on the basis that the incident occurred partly due to poor course design and layout.

Most decent Household Insurance contents policies include a section which covers the personal liability of the policyholder and all members of residing family which would pick up any claims made against you for incidents of this nature. They do all differ and vary though so it is worth giving your Broker a ring just to double-check. If you have purchased your cover direct or online then it may be a case of digging out the policy and reading through the cover, conditions and exclusions. Again most contents policies can be extended to give all risk cover on your golf clubs outside of your home and when being used abroad. It's worth checking though, take note that the sum insured is sufficient to cover the replacement value of all your golf equipment and check the excesses that apply. If you habitually leave your clubs in the back of the car check that cover still applies when the vehicle is unattended.

The one-off golf insurance policies that are available as mentioned by Ben and Ray can be useful and are relatively inexpensive (and they come with all those great vouchers!!) and a lot of people prefer to have this separate cover. But do take the time to check the conditions and exclusions though to avoid any disappointment in the event of any future claim.

Well I'm sure that I have bored you enough now, I can hear the yawning from here...such an exciting old subject insurance!! If there is still anybody who hasn't nodded off, can they tell me where I send the invoice for my £250 consultation fee?  Wink

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 17 Jan 2014, 2:47 am

I wonder if the NSA monitor 606v2 golf?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 17 Jan 2014, 6:10 am

Has clinton lost his marbles?

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2014/1/16/video-bill-clinton-stops-by-the-golf-channel-booth.html

Pretty weird stuff.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 17 Jan 2014, 1:13 pm

Mac - do you live in Australia? It's always good to have international posters on the board.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 17 Jan 2014, 1:16 pm

McLaren wrote:Has clinton lost his marbles?

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2014/1/16/video-bill-clinton-stops-by-the-golf-channel-booth.html

Pretty weird stuff.

He looks a bit healthier than the last time I saw him. Looked like he was in the advance stages of cancer or AIDS a few months ago.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 17 Jan 2014, 3:53 pm

I think this palindrome is pretty cool:

"satan oscillate my metallic sonatas"

i think it's the title of a soundgarden song.

Know any other good ones?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 17 Jan 2014, 4:29 pm

Nice one incont - don't think I've ever seen one longer than that.

Pity palindrome is not a palindrome - lack of imagination by the language inventors there.
Imagine if Smirnoff were still running their ad campaign of a few decades ago that there might be a script along the lines of:
"I thought cunn1l1ngus was an Irish airline until I discovered Smirnoff."

"I thought palindrome was an Alaskan airport until I discovered Smirnoff."

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 17 Jan 2014, 5:02 pm

Another "Royal" baby, pity the poor bugger who is going to take on the looks of either of those parents.

The father actually looks sub-human.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 17 Jan 2014, 9:53 pm

incontinentia wrote:I think this palindrome is pretty cool:

"satan oscillate my metallic sonatas"

i think it's the title of a soundgarden song.

Know any other good ones?

A man, a plan, a canal, Panama! is another well known one.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 18 Jan 2014, 10:02 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-25793358

What an absolute moron. How can someone be so stupid to put their name and face to a statement like that without resigning?
Ridiculous on so many fronts.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 18 Jan 2014, 10:07 pm

Good lord, Did he emigrate from Texas?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sat 18 Jan 2014, 10:47 pm

super_realist wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-25793358

What an absolute moron. How can someone be so stupid to put their name and face to a statement like that without resigning?
Ridiculous on so many fronts.

Um....this guy is an elected councillor....how many voters in his part of Oxfordshire will be feeling really really really stoopid tonight?? :-/

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 19 Jan 2014, 10:45 am

They didn't feel stupid enough to vote ukip in the first place. Then obviously are stupid though.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 19 Jan 2014, 11:14 am

Good point beninho, it is unclear why you would be surprised when the UKIP member you voted for came out with a crack pot idea. Please explain Jas.

Does anyone else get the feeling Jas wished his UKIP vote made a little more sense?  Wink 
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 19 Jan 2014, 2:25 pm

I thought he was a Tory who defected to UKIP? Was he elected as a UKIP Councillor?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun 19 Jan 2014, 7:38 pm

I didn't vote for him, I don't live in Oxfordshire Mac

I find it fascinating that your seemingly razor sharp political mind and astute character judgement jumps to the assumption that I would cast my vote in a UKIP direction...please explain the logic that drove you in that direction?...I can't wait Wink

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next