The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+28
kouchi
Hibbz
hend085
Shotrock
BlueCoverman
golfermartin
Plunky
Doc
Bob_the_Job
I'm never wrong
puligny
dynamark
barragan
Roller_Coaster
westisbest
MustPuttBetter
lorus59
beninho
SmithersJones
JAS
pedro
1GrumpyGolfer
Davie
kwinigolfer
raycastleunited
navyblueshorts
McLaren
mystiroakey
32 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 03 Dec 2013, 2:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

That's why these pursuits should be undertaken in videogames and not in real life. Real life has a nasty habit of finding you out to be the hopeless loser you don't think you are.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Jan 2014, 7:45 pm

JAS,
Sad day for a running hero with Chris Chataway's departure
I see he started to run the Great North at the age of 73 - something I'm sure you'll aspire to . . . . .
(Lots of sporting greats leaving us these past few weeks, must be winter.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Sun 19 Jan 2014, 10:49 pm

Aye, saw that earlier Kwini, the first ever SPOTY. Hasn't the 5000 metre world record moved on tho ??
...raw nerve bringing up the running though...had to abandon a 10 miler today about 6.6 in. Left knee started getting sore about 6 miles, tried to shrug it off but when I started to feel a twinge in right calf I thought oh oh I'm compensating and not in a good way. Stopped before doing any real damage, not good but going to have to miss some runs this week as a precaution Sad

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Jan 2014, 11:06 pm

Always think it's remarkable that the three guys at Oxford that day succeeded so extraordinarily in their respective non-athlete careers.
Take care of that knee!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 20 Jan 2014, 1:35 am

JAS wrote:Aye, saw that earlier Kwini, the first ever SPOTY. Hasn't the 5000 metre world record moved on tho ??
...raw nerve bringing up the running though...had to abandon a 10 miler today about 6.6 in. Left knee started getting sore about 6 miles, tried to shrug it off but when I started to feel a twinge in right calf I thought oh oh I'm compensating and not in a good way. Stopped before doing any real damage, not good but going to have to miss some runs this week as a precaution :(

Just imagine you are being chased be a hoard of eastern europeans and you will fly along.  :) 
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 20 Jan 2014, 10:15 am

Are the East Europeans you are talking about male or female Mac :-o

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 20 Jan 2014, 10:22 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Always think it's remarkable that the three guys at Oxford that day succeeded so extraordinarily in their respective non-athlete careers.
Take care of that knee!

I guess its a by product of being driven and pushing the limits athletically breeds a mental toughness. that toughness and resolve maybe relatively easily transposed into other walks of life, success breeds success. I suppose Coe is a more modern day example.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 20 Jan 2014, 1:02 pm

McLaren wrote:
JAS wrote:Aye, saw that earlier Kwini, the first ever SPOTY. Hasn't the 5000 metre world record moved on tho ??
...raw nerve bringing up the running though...had to abandon a 10 miler today about 6.6 in. Left knee started getting sore about 6 miles, tried to shrug it off but when I started to feel a twinge in right calf I thought oh oh I'm compensating and not in a good way. Stopped before doing any real damage, not good but going to have to miss some runs this week as a precaution Sad

Just imagine you are being chased be a hoard of eastern europeans and you will fly along.  Smile 

If a horde of eastern european women were chasing me I would quickly stop and develop a muscle injury that needed intensive massage treatment.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 20 Jan 2014, 1:11 pm

...my thinking exactly Ray Wink

I also think Mac is too absorbed in a very poor and unsuccessful attempt at a wind up to have thought of that angle in his original statement Wink

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 20 Jan 2014, 1:57 pm

I liked his wind up on the 'Questions for Fabrice Muamba' thread better!!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 20 Jan 2014, 2:44 pm

incontinentia wrote:I liked his wind up on the 'Questions for Fabrice Muamba' thread better!!

Agreed, although the credulity of religious maniacs is not to be taken lightly, can be pretty dangerous.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 20 Jan 2014, 4:26 pm

Muamba wrote:"On the morning of the game I prayed with my father and asked God to protect me - and he didn't let me down."
You'd think if God was protecting him he wouldn't have had the heart attack at all...
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 20 Jan 2014, 4:35 pm

incontinentia wrote:
Muamba wrote:"On the morning of the game I prayed with my father and asked God to protect me - and he didn't let me down."
You'd think if God was protecting him he wouldn't have had the heart attack at all...

"the lord works in mysterious ways"  vomit vomit vomit vomit 

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 20 Jan 2014, 4:36 pm

A study by Oxfam has found that the wealth of the 85 richest people in the world is equal to that of the 3,500,000,000 poorest.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 20 Jan 2014, 4:37 pm

incontinentia wrote:A study by Oxfam has found that the wealth of the 85 richest people in the world is equal to that of the 3,500,000,000 poorest.

nothing wrong with that. Too many people who can't afford to have kids do.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 20 Jan 2014, 4:43 pm

There's plenty wrong with that super
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 20 Jan 2014, 4:45 pm

incontinentia wrote:There's plenty wrong with that super

We aren't born equal Inco and one persons success shouldn't mean that they are responsible for others welfare.

It's a bit like saying that Wayne Rooney earns more than all of Cheshire. So what.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 20 Jan 2014, 8:20 pm

incontinentia wrote:A study by Oxfam has found that the wealth of the 85 richest people in the world is equal to that of the 3,500,000,000 poorest.
In contrast to S_R, I think that's a pretty astounding figure. 85 people have the same wealth as half the entire planet's population???
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 20 Jan 2014, 8:23 pm

On another subject, I haven't stopped laughing at the Lib Dems all day. True comedy. Idiots!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 20 Jan 2014, 9:04 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
In contrast to S_R, I think that's a pretty astounding figure. 85 people have the same wealth as half the entire planet's population???
It just proves that we are far too many people on this planet. Nothing else.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 20 Jan 2014, 9:42 pm

pedro wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
It just proves that we are far too many people on this planet. Nothing else.
Inspired. Truly inspired.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 20 Jan 2014, 10:30 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:

It's certainly an astounding figure, but does it actually mean that much?, other than we've got a small number of very rich people (surprise surprise) and a very large number of people (surprise surprise), who don't earn very much. I'm not sure there's a valid comparison to be drawn there other than give The Graudian and "occupy" morons something to sniff into their latte about.

I've got more hair combined than a million bald people. So what. Should I give them some of mine? I'm not sure whether it means anything at all, or whether the inference is that by being 1 of the 85 you are somehow a traitor to the poor, despite the fact they all presumably provide employment for hundreds of thousands and contribute billions to the economy of their collective countries.

Without that 85, and their initiative, business acumen , entrepreneurship, products etc, we might actually be worse off. Or is it just wrong to be successful?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 21 Jan 2014, 12:04 am

Navy,

What's the point of this study? To diagnose the cause of the problem and help solve it? Or to pour more WUM latte in the cup? Inequality should not be the issue (unless you are a communist), poverty should. So let's distinguish please.

Population growth in 3rd world countries is the #1 reason behind the increasing inequality in the world (and the #1 reason for poverty as well). If people in these countries could control their reproduction, the stats, as reported, would look less dramatic.

It's not a political correct point of view and it doesn't attract headlines. And it doesn't give us something to blame the West, capitalism, colonialism etc. for. But it's simple mathematics.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 21 Jan 2014, 12:31 am

navyblueshorts wrote:On another subject, I haven't stopped laughing at the Lib Dems all day. True comedy. Idiots!

It is funny, are they trying to win over tory voters or something?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 21 Jan 2014, 9:44 am

pedro wrote:Navy,

What's the point of this study? To diagnose the cause of the problem and help solve it? Or to pour more WUM latte in the cup? Inequality should not be the issue (unless you are a communist), poverty should. So let's distinguish please.

Population growth in 3rd world countries is the #1 reason behind the increasing inequality in the world (and the #1 reason for poverty as well). If people in these countries could control their reproduction, the stats, as reported, would look less dramatic.

It's not a political correct point of view and it doesn't attract headlines. And it doesn't give us something to blame the West, capitalism, colonialism etc. for. But it's simple mathematics.
A bit more detail is always good! I don't subscribe to the "poor nations should have less children" argument though I'm afraid. The UK did it years ago, the US did it when it was a young nation etc etc. Now we're better off we should preach to the less well off how large their families should be? On a macro scale I can see the logic, but I challenge you convince some poor arable farmer somewhere in Africa where the life expectancy may be <50 that he shouldn't have more children in order to help his family make a living.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 21 Jan 2014, 9:56 am

McLaren wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:On another subject, I haven't stopped laughing at the Lib Dems all day. True comedy. Idiots!

It is funny, are they trying to win over tory voters or something?
Interestingly, although we both think this is funny, I'm not sure we aren't coming from opposite directions on this one. I think it's hysterical that the Lib Dems think it's appropriate to, publicly, try to force someone to apologise over something that they don't think is provable in court. As if Rennard would in any way do that - as he says, it's tantamount to an admission of guilt.
I must be mistaken but I would have assumed that the Lib Dems and/or the women concerned should put up or shut up (in court) or kept this laughable investigation and followup comedy show private. Rennard is being tarred and feathered without having anything actually proven against him. The naïvety of the Lib Dems here is hysterical. They've now dug a nice deep hole for themselves and forgotten to have a ladder handy picard.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Jan 2014, 9:57 am

I wish people would stop thinking having children is a right, I wouldn't have any if I wasn't in a position to afford them. Why would you want to bring anyone into poverty?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 21 Jan 2014, 10:29 am

Like it or not, but the one-child policy in China did help bring China to where it is today.

Additionally many third world countries have huge natural wealth, it's just concentrated on a few despots. I bet if Oxfam did the study in Africa they would find that 99% of the wealth is concentrated on 1% of the population. Is the West or capitalism to blame? I doubt it. Can the West help? Absolutely. But the diagnose needs to be correct, not just political correct.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 21 Jan 2014, 10:30 am

As already mentioned people have a low life expectancy in parts of Africa, these people need help and assistance that children can provide, be it sending them out to work at a very young age, or helping on family land. Its really not as simple as you make out is it. Also its hard to stop having children when contraception is not available or is to expensive. Which is why Aids/Hiv is common in very poor areas. You cannot base your experiences and say everyone should be like you, as not everyone can follow your right wing middle class views and opinions.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 21 Jan 2014, 10:37 am

Regarding the Lib Dems, i could just about live with them climbing in bed with the tories in the hope it could taper down some of the crazy ideas the tories dreamt up, though not sure if that has worked. And now they are just making a real mountain out of a mole hill. It seems this guy is a bit sleazy, and in all probability has been a bit untoward, but you cant make him apologise if its going to open him up to potential prosecution.

WHy do politixal parties make themselves look so stupid. At this rate the Tories will come back with a majority, when they really have not done much good in this term.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Jan 2014, 10:45 am

I love how people just automatically assume right wing when you make a statement they disagree with.

It's like the Guardian equivalent of Godwins Law.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 21 Jan 2014, 10:46 am

Ben,
So was China and SE-Asia 50 years ago. Also, 3rd world population (growth) is in the urban areas, not in the country side.

I don't expect / want people to be like me. But I do want that people like me drop the scarlet political correctness, and focus on the root of the problems. And if we agree that population growth is a huge issue, let's look at the reasons behind and do something about it, rather than blindly blaming the rich.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 21 Jan 2014, 11:03 am

SR - your statement doesn't make me think you are right wing or right of centre even. But your dislike of guardian readers and use of that as a put down, and i am sure you have mentioned no issues with tax avoidance of big companies, along with your statement of no issues with the top 85 statement mentioned on this thread, they seem to point that you swing that way. If not and you are a lefty, you hide it very well.

Pedro - You cannot blame the rich, that there is widespread poverty in the world. I think though it was just a statement ti nake people think. I would assume a lot of people would not of known those figures, so anything that brings it to peoples attention is a good thing. Of course population growth is a major issue, but how can you stop it. China has had ans still does have a horrific record of human rights, is it a country that wants to be held as an example? China has been a communist state, African countries do not have this in their history to be like china either.

So Population growth is an issue..how can it be stopped...dont think anyone has a clue.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Jan 2014, 11:13 am

beninho wrote:SR - your statement doesn't make me think you are right wing or right of centre even.  But your dislike of guardian readers and use of that as a put down, and i am sure you have mentioned no issues with tax avoidance of big companies, along with your statement of no issues with the top 85 statement mentioned on this thread, they seem to point that you swing that way. If not and you are a lefty, you hide it very well.

Pedro - You cannot blame the rich, that there is widespread poverty in the world. I think though it was just a statement ti nake people think. I would assume a lot of people would not of known those figures, so anything that brings it to peoples attention is a good thing. Of course population growth is a major issue, but how can you stop it. China has had ans still does have a horrific record of human rights, is it a country that wants to be held as an example? China has been a communist state, African countries do not have this in their history to be like china either.  

So Population growth is an issue..how can it be stopped...dont think anyone has a clue.

Ben, you can be indifferent to either side. If anything I'm probably fairly neutral with a low tolerance for idiots who can't take personal responsibility for their own acts. If that makes me "right wing" so be it.

I don't recall advocating tax avoidance, I think I said it's not big companies fault if they are exploiting a loophole that the government allows to persist,  and it's simply a matter of fact that a small amount of people will own the vast majority of wealth. I see no reason why it should be distributed to those who can't be bothered to try.

I used to live in Bermuda, and they had a cap on births too. You were only allowed 2, nobody saw it as a big deal.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 21 Jan 2014, 11:31 am

Super

Just out of interest, when did your world view become so right wing and what sources to you draw from to back up your ideas?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Jan 2014, 11:34 am

What makes you think they are right wing Mac? What exactly do you disagree with?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 21 Jan 2014, 11:49 am

Super

Seriously, you don't realise that you are right wing?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 21 Jan 2014, 11:57 am

Tbh I don't see super as particularly right wing. He seems more open minded, libertarian and tolerant than many others on this board, with less dogmatic or political bias than most. And obviously that's not left wing. But I do understand that his lack of diplomacy upsets some people and labels him, but personally I appreciate somebody who doesn't talk BS.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 21 Jan 2014, 12:05 pm

Id say probably right of centre, rather then full on right wing. But then most of the country are either left or right of centre. Very few are actually real left/right wing. But then nothing wrong with agreeing on points made on each side. which is why the political parties fight over the centre ground. And why actual left.right wingers are classed as a bit out of touch in politics nowadays.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Jan 2014, 12:18 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

Seriously, you don't realise that you are right wing?
Even if I was Mac, would it be a bad thing, or worse than being left wing?

I'm not persecuting people or anything like that, in fact I'm only really prejudiced against digustingly fat and religious people.

Is that really a bad thing?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 21 Jan 2014, 12:29 pm

Super

You have a sort of weird american dream style attitude to the world, and seem to have an issue with welfare. How much more right wing do you want?

You also seem to have been fooled by the austerity story.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Jan 2014, 12:33 pm

Mac, You probably couldn't find someone less keen on America and American ideology.
Do I have an issue with welfare, I see welfare as a safety net, not a lifestyle. Is that right wing?

How have I been fooled by austerity? You understand it because you troll google for book blurbs to retro fit your own agenda? Come on Mac,

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 21 Jan 2014, 12:42 pm

Super

You seem to have some odd ideas about the "opportunities" for success afforded to all, which is akin to the lunacy behind the american dream ideology.

And i'll bet you want to see Snowden hanged?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Jan 2014, 12:45 pm

Why would I want him hanged? He has some questions to answer on the American version of the official secrets act, but that's it.

What are my odd ideas about opportunities presented to all?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 21 Jan 2014, 1:27 pm

super_realist wrote:...I used to live in Bermuda, and they had a cap on births too. You were only allowed 2, nobody saw it as a big deal.
Hardly a fair analogy now is it?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Jan 2014, 1:30 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
super_realist wrote:...I used to live in Bermuda, and they had a cap on births too. You were only allowed 2, nobody saw it as a big deal.
Hardly a fair analogy now is it?

It was merely to emphasise that it isn't just dictatorships that apply a limit to births, but Britains oldest colony that used to as well.

In terms of the UK, you have to be pretty poor at planning if you choose to have children when you haven't the means to support them.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 21 Jan 2014, 1:43 pm

True, but it's hardly equitable to apply the sort of guidelines for a wealthy country like the U.K. to everywhere else. The motivation for huge families in parts of Africa etc is hardly for benefits.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Jan 2014, 1:47 pm

and it's also unfair to compare the cumulative wealth of a traditionally impoverished continent with the 85 most rich people in the world.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 21 Jan 2014, 2:02 pm

anway...A pub on a service station, thats not a good idea surely? There are enough idiots on the motorways without idiots who have the chance to drink.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 21 Jan 2014, 2:04 pm

on the motorways as part of a hotel I can handle but otherwise it seems crazy..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Jan 2014, 2:05 pm

It's really common in Europe for garages/service stations to have a pretty big booze section.

I suppose they are more responsible than us though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next