The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kiko Martinez.

+5
Strongback
owen10ozzy
TopHat24/7
hazharrison
hampo17
9 posters

Go down

Kiko Martinez. Empty Kiko Martinez.

Post by hampo17 Thu 16 Jan 2014, 11:25 am

This was discussed at length on last nights podcast, and I found myself trying to play devils advocate when discussing it.

Martinez looks set to fight Hozumi Hasegawa in Japan for his second title defence. Hasegawa has some pedigree, he's a two time WBC champion at Bantamweight and Featherweight, in fact he held the Bantamweight title for four years. However he hasn't fought at Super Bantamweight, boxrec have him ranked 21st in the world at Featherweight so why are the IBF allowing this title shot?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Kiko Martinez. Empty Re: Kiko Martinez.

Post by hazharrison Thu 16 Jan 2014, 11:32 am

hampo171 wrote:This was discussed at length on last nights podcast, and I found myself trying to play devils advocate when discussing it.

Martinez looks set to fight Hozumi Hasegawa in Japan for his second title defence. Hasegawa has some pedigree, he's a two time WBC champion at Bantamweight and Featherweight, in fact he held the Bantamweight title for four years. However he hasn't fought at Super Bantamweight, boxrec have him ranked 21st in the world at Featherweight so why are the IBF allowing this title shot?

"The Frampton team made us a very good offer for the rematch and I appreciate it, but we need to do what is best for our fighter," Lewkowicz said. "We don't need the mandatory fight (which is not due yet) in this moment. Frampton will be the mandatory and then he will get his opportunity. We might as well take an interim fight, also for very good money, and then the mandatory will be there."

Money.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 16 Jan 2014, 11:33 am

I don't think this fight brings that much money Haz, certainly not more than Frampton does anyway. Owen said on the show last night that it's a duck and that comment just makes it obvious.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 16 Jan 2014, 11:37 am

Joke fighter, joke champ. Disgrace that he holds a belt, frankly.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 16 Jan 2014, 12:15 pm

hampo171 wrote:I don't think this fight brings that much money Haz, certainly not more than Frampton does anyway. Owen said on the show last night that it's a duck and that comment just makes it obvious.

States there he's getting a decent payday (as big as he's likely to get without facing Frampton -- who he'd be favoured to lose to). The IBF would sanction a peeing contest as long as they got a percentage cut.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 16 Jan 2014, 12:16 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Joke fighter, joke champ. Disgrace that he holds a belt, frankly.

Isn't the fighter's fault. He's earning as much money as he can while he can.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 16 Jan 2014, 12:29 pm

If he loses the fight though then he loses his actual biggest payday to Frampton or Quigg (whom there was talk of a Unification fight with, in the loosest sense of the word)...

I don't imagine the pay day is all that big, especially once the IBF take there cut & I would imagine Hasegawa is getting a decent slice of the pie given he is clearly bringing the fans, hence the contesting being in Japan.

Having called it a duck last night on the podcast, I'm adjusting my view slightly too....absolutely atrocious management from Kiko's handlers. A potential banana skin, for not huge sums of money whereby their charge could lose out on a bumper payday against Frampton/Quigg. No less baffling today than it was yesterday!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 16 Jan 2014, 12:48 pm

Usually, as in the case of Sturm vs Barker, it takes a good offer to lure a titlist onto home turf (Barker was paid seven figures by all accounts).

I don't think Martinez is going there for the sushi.

The IBF would take their cut from a Frampton fight, so that isn't relevant.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 16 Jan 2014, 12:48 pm

We saw Barker got a big day for fighting away from home.  Do we know Kiko wasn't offered a smal pot of gold for travelling to Japan?

There used to be a poster on the BBC site called Hozumi's Hook, he was buddies with Stephen 89, and I had a few "debates" with him during the course of which I did a bit of research on Hasegawa.  Unless Hozumi has faded a fair bit he's  a decent fighter and a class above Kiko.  Maybe Kiko's team feel Hozumi isn't what he was.  Could end in disaster though.  

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Thu 16 Jan 2014, 12:51 pm

Unless it's another one of those fights that never come off and is just in place to get Frampton or Quigg's teams to offer more money. I'm not convinced just yet that this fight will happen.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 16 Jan 2014, 12:58 pm

Contracts have been signed and they've publicly admitted they won't face Frampton until he's mandatory.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 21 Jan 2014, 12:50 pm

I give Martinez a lot of credit for his tenacity. He has suffered a few setbacks during his career against Munroe x2, Ndlovu and Frampton, all in his opponants back yard, and took the defeats on the chin.

Wins the title against the fancied Romero in the states by stoppage and then stops Mathebula is in derserved home defense of his title, some one who had took Donaire 12 rounds the year previous.

He's done it the hard way and you have to give him credit, despite some of his limitations.

Hasegawa was a player a few years ago until he got iced by Montiel which was a big upset at the time. It was a great KO and it will be on youtube if you havent seen it. I think it broke his jaw.

He has been stopped aswell by Gonzales, who recently upset Mares so its not seen as the bad result as it was at the time.

But I think Kiko is catching him at the right time and will stop him late.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 21 Jan 2014, 1:07 pm

Frampton said they dont anticipate Martinez ever facing him again so theres no point waiting for it. Im not too fussed. He beat Martinez already and other than a plastic title at stake a rematch isnt called for. Better fights out there for Frampton now.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 21 Jan 2014, 1:21 pm

Frampton would get more credibility if he went after Santa Cruz.

Santa Cruz is an upgraded version of Martinez. That would be a fight!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 21 Jan 2014, 1:27 pm

Isn't Santa Cruz being lined up for Rigo? Cracking fight that.

Part of the reason I'd like Framps to go the WBO route is I think he should be a 'World Champ' ahead of undeserving Kiko and that with someone like Rigo about his other chances of taking a title are slim.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 21 Jan 2014, 1:30 pm

Wow, just read Santa Cruz won world amateur gold aged FIFTEEN!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 21 Jan 2014, 1:37 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Wow, just read Santa Cruz won world amateur gold aged FIFTEEN!!

Must be youth or something, I've never heard of this.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 21 Jan 2014, 1:44 pm

http://www.maxboxing.com/news/other-boxing-news/the-diary-of-dunkin

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 21 Jan 2014, 1:49 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Isn't Santa Cruz being lined up for Rigo? Cracking fight that.

Part of the reason I'd like Framps to go the WBO route is I think he should be a 'World Champ' ahead of undeserving Kiko and that with someone like Rigo about his other chances of taking a title are slim.

Does it really matter? There should just be one champion (Rigondeaux) and then a bunch of challengers. Frampton winning a "world title" against Martinez doesnt tell us anything we dont already know. Its just giving weight to these pointless titles.

I dont think the numerous world titles are half as unpopular with fans as is made out. No wonder they are breeding like rabbits.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 21 Jan 2014, 1:50 pm

Checked and it wasn't the '03 '05 or '07 World Champs, so you're right, must've meant juniors.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue 21 Jan 2014, 8:49 pm

Rigondeaux vs Santa Cruz isn't happening unless Rigo leaves TR and joins GBP.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down