The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

why Sarries may lose to the stronger teams

+20
nathan
HammerofThunor
Cyril
Nachos Jones
Cumbrian
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
yappysnap
stub
whocares
Artful_Dodger
Hound of Harrow
ME-109
LeinsterFan4life
Notch
wolfball
Golden
beshocked
Metal Tiger
21st Century Schizoid Man
Brendan
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

why Sarries may lose to the stronger teams Empty why Sarries may lose to the stronger teams

Post by Brendan Fri 17 Jan 2014, 10:18 pm

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/a-daunting-task-but-toulouse-have-shown-connacht-where-saracens-can-be-exposed-1.1657823

Above is a very good and detailed look into why Sarries struggle against the big teams.

My knowledge of the finer things would not be as good as others so wondering what you thought.

He goes why it may work in England but not the bigger teams

This is not a dig at Sarries as they are Top 5/6 in Europe but maybe what they need to go that next step.

Last edited by Brendan on Fri 17 Jan 2014, 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Brendan

Back to top Go down

why Sarries may lose to the stronger teams Empty Re: why Sarries may lose to the stronger teams

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 17 Jan 2014, 10:34 pm

Loose ?

Back to top Go down

why Sarries may lose to the stronger teams Empty Re: why Sarries may lose to the stronger teams

Post by Metal Tiger Sat 18 Jan 2014, 12:02 am

Good luck.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat 18 Jan 2014, 9:49 am

Metal Tiger wrote:Good luck.

I don't think connacht will win. The article highlights the systems that Sarries use, almost routine, and why the big packs seem to make them look so ordinary. It looks at why they loose breakdown and how the big teams play against them.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Sat 18 Jan 2014, 10:43 am

Sorry but that article is rubbish. You beat Saracens by stopping their momentum. That means you must frustrate the lineout and make an absolute mess at the breakdown. In addition to that you must stop them from getting over the gain line.

Toulouse successfully did all that.

I can't see Connacht challenging Saracens at the breakdown like Toulouse did. The Toulouse backrow is far superior to that of the Connacht one.

It talks about challenging Saracens in the scrum -that's the only area that Saracens beat Toulouse in.

Plus there is no mention whatsoever of Hodgson and the pitch.

Saracens are a formidable side at Allianz Park. They are comfortable on the pitch. I still feel that if Saracens had played Toulouse at Allianz Park instead of Wembley we would have won.

Just because Saracens lost to Toulouse doesn't make them a bad side. Wouldn't surprise me if Connacht are put to the sword.

Togetherness can only get you so far - Sarries are by far the stronger side.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat 18 Jan 2014, 11:05 am

Is the team Sarries put out the best they could.

I do expect Sarries to win and take the second runner up spot.

I still think that tigers etc sending weak teams to Sarries will cost them later on. I don't understand it. Tigers at their best were never given easy games by being sent weak teams.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sat 18 Jan 2014, 1:43 pm

Connacht draw first blood. 0-3

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 18 Jan 2014, 1:49 pm

Good finish by Ashton.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sat 18 Jan 2014, 1:50 pm

So close to an interception there.

Lovely passing from hodgeson in the run up to their try.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sat 18 Jan 2014, 1:59 pm

Connacht back in the lead 5-6

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:00 pm

Sarries look so much better with Hodgson at 10 than they do with Farrell.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:00 pm

Go on lads! Great to see so many travelling supporters!

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:05 pm

The Vunipolas are just running over the Connacht defence.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:08 pm

Good try there. Agree about Hodgeson, sarries look way better with him playing. Not the best kicker though.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:11 pm

He is not normally a bad kicker Golden but he is just so much better than Farrell at 10. He organises his back line well and is not afraid to attack the line. Always rated him.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:13 pm

Well hes no Farrell from the tee. 

Connacht scrum is going well

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:14 pm

No, Farrell is a quality kicker but I would prefer Hodgson's attacking and control over Farrell's kicking any day of the week.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:17 pm

Connacht putting in a shift and standing up well in the scrums, but they're struggling with Sarries ball carriers and quick hands on this fast pitch.

They need to find a way to take the pace out of this game or there'll be more tries and I don't think they can.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:18 pm

If they get a yellow card here I really fear from them, with 14 men this game could get away from them.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:19 pm

Ouch someone will be off for that. He thinks its the hooker?

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:19 pm

Now that was naughty.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:20 pm

Well it wasn't as bad as Ian Evans' last night I suppose

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:20 pm

Deserved yellow there.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:20 pm

See if they send off the wrong player here after all those replays, its a complete farce.

Not as bad as Evans last night, but he still is a bit lucky.

Last edited by Notch on Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:21 pm

Not that clear if he hit the head, very silly though and lucky to be only a yellow.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:25 pm

Is it me or do connacht not look up for this?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:26 pm

Nachos Jones wrote:Not that clear if he hit the head, very silly though and lucky to be only a yellow.

It's a yellow. Christ I wish we had proper rucking back again though, every breakdown rule change in the last 10 years are a response to the elimination of proper rucking.

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:30 pm

wolfball wrote:
Nachos Jones wrote:Not that clear if he hit the head, very silly though and lucky to be only a yellow.

It's a yellow. Christ I wish we had proper rucking back again though, every breakdown rule change in the last 10 years are a response to the elimination of proper rucking.

Back in the day when I played, you learnt very quickly not to be on the wrong side. I also miss proper rucking.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:31 pm

Sarries will never win a HC...they will be eight seeds for a reason. The only hope they have is that Leicester win against Ulster and they get them as top seeds.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:31 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Is it me or do connacht not look up for this?

The game is just too fast for them. They aren't able to re-organise quickly enough and stop the gainline success. The Vunipolas are killing it. Saracens just too strong and motivated and its going to get uglier after half-time.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:34 pm

ME-109 wrote:Sarries will never win a HC...they will be eight seeds for a reason. The only hope they have is that Leicester win against Ulster and they get them as top seeds.

This is getting very dull, and the hysteria whipped up is annoying to deal with/read. More positive contributions are more likely to be conducive to a harmonious future as a poster.

Informal advice from the v2 moderation team  kiss 

Last edited by Notch on Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:35 pm

Notch wrote:

The game is just too fast for them. They aren't able to re-organise quickly enough and stop the gainline success. The Vunipolas are killing it. Saracens just too strong and motivated and its going to get uglier after half-time.

The Vunipola's are killing it in open play but not in the scrums. I think that Hodgson's attacking 10 play has sped the Sarries up a lot and its his influence I think that is killing Connacht.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:42 pm

Nachos Jones wrote:
Notch wrote:

The Vunipola's are killing it in open play but not in the scrums. I think that Hodgson's attacking 10 play has sped the Sarries up a lot and its his influence I think that is killing Connacht.

The breakdown and our fielding of the ball has also been very poor. Defensive line has been up quick but too many forwards falling off tackles.

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:45 pm

wolfball wrote:

The breakdown and our fielding of the ball has also been very poor. Defensive line has been up quick but too many forwards falling off tackles.

Whatever happens, it was an amazing victory of Toulouse earlier and that can never be taken away from Connacht. Very Happy

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:45 pm

Notch wrote:
ME-109 wrote:Sarries will never win a HC...they will be eight seeds for a reason. The only hope they have is that Leicester win against Ulster and they get them as top seeds.

This is getting very dull, and the hysteria whipped up is annoying to deal with/read. More positive contributions are more likely to be conducive to a harmonious future as a poster.

Informal advice from the v2 moderation team  kiss 

I enjoy the hysteria personally.

Anyway welcome to the ranks of the establishment...you are already showing signs of turning into a boring person Notch if you think the posting was in any way controversial.

1. They are eight seeds because they lost two games and were lucky they had one of the minnows in the group = Reason
2. I think Ulster and anyone else of the top four seeds will beat them. The only hope they have of advancing is that they wont fear Leicester as much and its their best chance for advancing...

I am really getting controversial here.... Doh 

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:45 pm

Whatever happens Connacht can still take that win in Toulouse with them.

As for Sarries, they are well capable of beating Tigers. Then if they get a home s/f then who knows.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:47 pm

Wow, what a score!

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:47 pm

Unbelievable. What shocking defence there by Connacht.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:49 pm

Just passing on the views of the Illuminati who really run the site. I thought the post was rather charming, but I have no real say about these things Cool 

Hound, Connacht have had a better campaign than Montpellier, Exeter, Glasgow and Racing Metro. I think it's progress- they are in for a caning here though.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:50 pm

I certainly agree that Sarries will struggle against any other team. They would certainly want Leicester over all others.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:53 pm

Nathan White should have been red carded from what I hear??

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:54 pm

Getting to play at the Allianz with this pitch would be their ace in the hole, and this is guaranteed to be their last game there- no great traveling support either.

I expect a QF exit but hey, who knows... what I hope most of all is we win and take Saracens to Ravenhill. We'll need the tigers to get a losing bonus point tonight.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:55 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Nathan White should have been red carded from what I hear??

I'd say so. I think that would have been fair.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:55 pm

Notch wrote:Just passing on the views of the Anglo/SUN style jingoist Illuminati who really run the site. I thought the post was rather charming, but I have no real say about these things Cool 

Hound, Connacht have had a better campaign than Montpellier, Exeter, Glasgow and Racing Metro. I think it's progress- they are in for a caning here though.

Fixed that for you...

Toulouse/Zebre is a complete slugfest in the rain...10-6 to toulouse

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:57 pm

This has been disgraceful from Connacht. Not the fact that they are losing but they simply don't look up for this.

They really miss Elwood as he was so inspirational.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:02 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:This has been disgraceful from Connacht. Not the fact that they are losing but they simply don't look up for this.

I think that Connacht were up for this, they have just been taken apart by a far more adventurous Sarries. I think they expected a slug fest but with the selection of Hodgson, Sarries signalled their intent and came out on fire and have just blown Connacht away.

I said it before, Sarries look a much more balanced and better side with Hodgson at 10.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:03 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:This has been disgraceful from Connacht. Not the fact that they are losing but they simply don't look up for this.

Nah...seen this from them before...i.e against Munster sometimes they expect to lose and dont bother at times, against Leinster they seem to go balistic...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:07 pm

Well I would give some credit to Hodgson for creating the first two tries, Goode's elusive running for two more and Sarries pack for the other two.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:11 pm

Hound of Harrow wrote:Well I would give some credit to Hodgson for creating the first two tries, Goode's elusive running for two more and Sarries pack for the other two.

Fair assessment but I would credit Hodgson a lot more that for the two tries, his tactical kicking has been great, his defence good and he has created many line breaks giving Sarries confidence going forward. MOTM for me.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:11 pm

Saracens made the semis last year and are on an upward trend so deserve some respect. I do think their game has evolved in a positive way in the last 2/3 years and are now a better version than say Munster Wink
See it is not too difficult to post something nice about them  Run 

Seriously though, why everyone seem to dislike them? Is it the hat thing?

Meanwhile Toulouse is really struggling in Parma where Zebre is not giving up

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next