The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

why Sarries may lose to the stronger teams

+20
nathan
HammerofThunor
Cyril
Nachos Jones
Cumbrian
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
yappysnap
stub
whocares
Artful_Dodger
Hound of Harrow
ME-109
LeinsterFan4life
Notch
wolfball
Golden
beshocked
Metal Tiger
21st Century Schizoid Man
Brendan
24 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

why Sarries may lose to the stronger teams - Page 2 Empty why Sarries may lose to the stronger teams

Post by Brendan Fri 17 Jan 2014, 10:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/a-daunting-task-but-toulouse-have-shown-connacht-where-saracens-can-be-exposed-1.1657823

Above is a very good and detailed look into why Sarries struggle against the big teams.

My knowledge of the finer things would not be as good as others so wondering what you thought.

He goes why it may work in England but not the bigger teams

This is not a dig at Sarries as they are Top 5/6 in Europe but maybe what they need to go that next step.

Last edited by Brendan on Fri 17 Jan 2014, 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Brendan

Back to top Go down

why Sarries may lose to the stronger teams - Page 2 Empty Re: why Sarries may lose to the stronger teams

Post by stub Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:13 pm

whocares wrote:Saracens made the semis last year and are on an upward trend so deserve some respect. I do think their game has evolved in a positive way in the last 2/3 years and are now a better version than say Munster Wink
See it is not too difficult to post something nice about them  Run 

Seriously though, why everyone seem to dislike them? Is it the hat thing?

Meanwhile Toulouse is really struggling in Parma where Zebre is not giving up

Ha ha ha!  clap 

stub

Back to top Go down

why Sarries may lose to the stronger teams - Page 2 Empty Re: why Sarries may lose to the stronger teams

Post by ME-109 Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:16 pm

whocares wrote:Saracens made the semis last year and are on an upward trend so deserve some respect. I do think their game has evolved in a positive way in the last 2/3 years and are now a better version than say Munster Wink
See it is not too difficult to post something nice about them  Run 

Seriously though, why everyone seem to dislike them? Is it the hat thing?

Meanwhile Toulouse is really struggling in Parma where Zebre is not giving up

Quick call the moderators....I am going hysterical about the comment about Munster....I demand satisfaction...etc etc...  zen 

PS- It is the hats definitely...

Zebre attacking constantly now but its 16-6 and all over bar the shouting...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:17 pm

Quality from Jamie George there. Look forward to seeing him and Ward stepping like that in the Saxons game.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:17 pm

Reasons people dislike satires include but are not limited to:

Them screwing over their own historic membership and fans
Being owned by South Africans and ran as a commercial business first and rugby club second
That they keep beating the club people support

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:21 pm

The Vunipolas are outstanding as well. Just look like seniors playing against the youth team at the moment!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:22 pm

With Toulouse not getting the tbp its looking good for munster home qf.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:23 pm

whocares wrote:Seriously though, why everyone seem to dislike them? Is it the hat thing?

For me, yes it is. Most definitely.

To be honest, the scoreline slightly flatters Connacht given Hodgsons problems from the tee.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:24 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Reasons people dislike satires include but are not limited to:

Them screwing over their own historic membership and fans
Being owned by South Africans and ran as a commercial business first and rugby club second
That they keep beating the club people support

That's a lie!
Quins have never lost to Satires! Now centaurs....

But yea there are those points and I think Venter got up a few people's noses like Cockers does, and Borthwick is just really fricking annoying!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:24 pm

Jeez, if Charlie Hodgson hadn't been wearing wellingtons this could have been 70 points plus!
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:26 pm

whocares wrote:With Toulouse not getting the tbp its looking good for munster home qf.

I really do hope that Munster get the home QF. Very Happy

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:26 pm

Toulouse win 16-6...Next up Toulon and Glasgow

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:28 pm

Saracens so strong today Smile

Good to see plenty of England squad players performing well.

You have a to feel a little bit sorry for Connacht.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:29 pm

This has been an absolute smashing for Connacht.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:29 pm

By the way, who is this ME-109 numpty and what did Saracens do to him? Laugh

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:31 pm

MOTM to Billy Vunipola, I would have said Hodgson but BV has completely destroyed the Connacht forwards.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:32 pm

Massive hit there by Rodney.

Damn it, another try to splashton Sad

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:32 pm

Ashton!!!!  Cool 

Last edited by Cyril on Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:33 pm

Lam will be under serious pressure now. Connacht were never up for this. Even when they lost heavily to quins last year they put in huge hits in the first 30 mins or so.

They never looked interested in this. Shambolic.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:37 pm

That's a bit classless from Ashton really. Nothing more than that, just a bit class less. Unnecessary.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:37 pm

What did he do?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:43 pm

Did his dive for the last try.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:46 pm

Notch wrote:That's a bit classless from Ashton really. Nothing more than that, just a bit class less. Unnecessary.
People will always find something to criticise Ashton or Saracens.

It's not like he stamped on someone's head.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:48 pm

Cyril wrote:
Notch wrote:That's a bit classless from Ashton really. Nothing more than that, just a bit class less. Unnecessary.
People will always find something to criticise Ashton or Saracens.

It's not like he stamped on someone's head.

No, it's not of course.

I don't have a big problem with it, it's just unnecessary and in the circumstances rather lacking in class. No-one is suggesting that anything come of it but if you want respect as a player in this game you really do have to earn it with more than your sporting performances.

Last edited by Notch on Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:49 pm

Its a shame that Borthwick is retiring after this season. He has been one of my favourite players over the years.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:51 pm

He's just enjoying his rugby, Notch.

Nachos, yeah Borthwick has been a tough, honest player. Not quite top class in terms of the international game but an excellent club player and leader. He'll be difficult to replace. At least his nose will get a chance to heal.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:54 pm

He has just been one of those players I admire, never backs down and is as hard as nails. Thought that he was pretty good internationally as well.

I agree that Saracens will find it hard to replace him in the team but I would imagine he will stay with the club as a coach?

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:56 pm

Shane Williams used to do a big dive when scoring tries. No-one batted an eyelid. The furore over Ashton is down to two things: 1) his face, and 2) his nationality.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:58 pm

Griff wrote:Shane Williams used to do a big dive when scoring tries. No-one batted an eyelid. The furore over Ashton is down to two things: 1) his face, and 2) his nationality.

In fairness, I don't like anyone doing it. Its just not my thing.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 18 Jan 2014, 4:09 pm

Castrogiovani did it once and broke his ribs. People just laughed.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 18 Jan 2014, 4:14 pm

Griff wrote:Shane Williams used to do a big dive when scoring tries. No-one batted an eyelid. The furore over Ashton is down to two things: 1) his face, and 2) his nationality.

There's a fine line between honestly celebrating a score and just twisting the knife  and when it's at the end of a one-sided game like that, thats just twisting the knife. If Saracens were on the other side of that scoreline, and he was beaten by his opposite number, he wouldn't like it.

Its unnecessary at the best of times, but when it's a competitive game you can give guys the benefit of the doubt over the release of pent-up emotion you experience- when it's the 10th try of the game you'd want to catch yourself on as its only your own self it reflects poorly on.

Last edited by Notch on Sat 18 Jan 2014, 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 18 Jan 2014, 4:15 pm

He celebrates because he enjoys scoring tries. I never understood why people said it was worse in the battering against Italy (or now with Connacht). Are we saying that the game was so easy, the tries so easy they're not worth celebrating? Now that shows arrogance.

If you don't like it, great. It's hardly the end of the world and soon will come the day he'll do a Leguizamon

It's interesting the uproar when Armitage wagged a finger when scoring a try. Very little when Phillips did the same (apparently they were teammates so it was ok). Even less the second time he did it. Some people seem to drew people's ire.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 18 Jan 2014, 4:20 pm

Yeah, but one was in a Heineken Cup final between heated rivals and the other was one Bayonnais having some banter with a teammate in a meaningless exhibition game meant to showcase flamboyant rugby. Are people honestly meant to see that as the same thing?

Context is everything, especially in insult-based male bonding rituals! I agree it's not the end of the world, I'm just pointing out its slightly disappointing when a guy lets himself and his team down like that.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 18 Jan 2014, 4:25 pm

I don't think that he lets himself or his team down when he does it Notch. I really don't like any player doing it but its not a huge crime.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 18 Jan 2014, 4:29 pm

Nachos Jones wrote:I don't think that he lets himself or his team down when he does it Notch. I really don't like any player doing it but its not a huge crime.

I agree Nachos. To my mind a bit showy but not the end of the world really. I also think Griff's post had a lot of truth in it too.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 18 Jan 2014, 4:32 pm

His face?  Headscratch 

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 18 Jan 2014, 4:51 pm

I took that to mean that some people just don't like him and therefore get even more annoyed when he splashes and then on top of everything they have to look at his (smiling) FACE! I'm not pretending to fully understand this by the way...

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 18 Jan 2014, 9:26 pm

Notch wrote:Yeah, but one was in a Heineken Cup final between heated rivals and the other was one Bayonnais having some banter with a teammate in a meaningless exhibition game meant to showcase flamboyant rugby. Are people honestly meant to see that as the same thing?

Context is everything, especially in insult-based male bonding rituals! I agree it's not the end of the world, I'm just pointing out its slightly disappointing when a guy lets himself and his team down like that.

Didn't Phillips do it whilst playing for the Lions, i think North did too.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 18 Jan 2014, 9:29 pm

nathan wrote:
Notch wrote:Yeah, but one was in a Heineken Cup final between heated rivals and the other was one Bayonnais having some banter with a teammate in a meaningless exhibition game meant to showcase flamboyant rugby. Are people honestly meant to see that as the same thing?

Didn't Phillips do it whilst playing for the Lions, i think North did too.

Yep thats what I was talking about- it was in the sponsors kick about in Hong Kong, not in a proper game.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jan 2014, 9:37 pm

Cyril wrote:
His face?  Headscratch 

Yeah, that f*cking annoying, smug, English face of his.

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 18 Jan 2014, 10:11 pm

Notch wrote:Yep thats what I was talking about- it was in the sponsors kick about in Hong Kong, not in a proper game.

What about the second time during a proper Lions game? And North did it on the proper Lions tour as well. Absolutely nothing made of it. But an entire thread was started for hating Armitage. Shane Williams was diving for years. Ashton does it and suddenly there are threads condemning it/him. Just one of those funny coincidences

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 18 Jan 2014, 10:19 pm

I can't talk for other people but if you think I personally am being selective you're off base. I can't pretend I payed as much attention to the Lions this year as other years to be fair.

But I certainly wouldn't be an apologist for Williams and Phillips in my day.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 18 Jan 2014, 10:25 pm

Griff wrote:
Cyril wrote:
His face?  Headscratch 

Yeah, that f*cking annoying, smug, English face of his.

I Frak hate those English faces! With their stupid English looks and hair!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sat 18 Jan 2014, 10:26 pm

I love the swan dive myself.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 18 Jan 2014, 10:31 pm

I only love it when Ashton does it.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 18 Jan 2014, 11:06 pm

Notch wrote:I can't talk for other people but if you think I personally am being selective you're off base. I can't pretend I payed as much attention to the Lions this year as other years to be fair.

No, that certainly was directed at you. I'm sorry if I gave that impression. More a general observation of article creation and comments on here.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Sat 18 Jan 2014, 11:41 pm

Leinsterfan4life really? Lam under pressure because his side got beaten by one of the best sides in England in their own backyard?

Lam and Connacht will be able to dine on that Toulouse win for years.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 18 Jan 2014, 11:48 pm

beshocked wrote:Leinsterfan4life really? Lam under pressure because his side got beaten by one of the best sides in England in their own backyard?

Lam and Connacht will be able to dine on that Toulouse win for years.

Connacht have been under performing all season, hence why they are bottom of the rabo. They have been unlucky with injuries but the performances this season have been unacceptable given the additions to the squad. Lam was under pressure from a lot of Connacht fans before the Toulose game so god knows what kind of stuff is being said now. That Toulouse game is a distant memory now for them now as their fans always said that one big performance wasn't good enough anymore they need to start backing it up.

Connacht never turned up for that game for whatever reason. Elwood certainly never would have let that happen as his speeches before matches are so inspirational.They showed they could compete with Saracens in the first round but that was a shambles.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 18 Jan 2014, 11:51 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
Notch wrote:I can't talk for other people but if you think I personally am being selective you're off base. I can't pretend I payed as much attention to the Lions this year as other years to be fair.

No, that certainly was directed at you. I'm sorry if I gave that impression. More a general observation of article creation and comments on here.

Fair enoughski.

beshocked, the Toulouse win was great and all but 25% of all tackles missed today? Lam is under pressure now but its the players who will need to be dragged over hot coals, and the players who let the coaches and fans down. If we want to be the dominant nation in European rugby at this level and at international level we have to set the standards very high. We can't have a team with several guys who are likely to go on to be full internationals coming out of a game like that without getting hammered for it.

Connacht are underfunded at this level compared to a team like Saracens who are also able to retain and attract a better calibre of player, so no-one is going to hang them for losing if they do the fundamentals well and are competitive. What happened was a disaster- sometimes these have a silver lining down the road, how players react to adversity and all that, but the Connacht jersey was not done justice and there has to be ramifications for that.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun 19 Jan 2014, 12:40 am

Notch wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

Fair enoughski.

beshocked, the Toulouse win was great and all but 25% of all tackles missed today? Lam is under pressure now but its the players who will need to be dragged over hot coals, and the players who let the coaches and fans down. If we want to be the dominant nation in European rugby at this level and at international level we have to set the standards very high. We can't have a team with several guys who are likely to go on to be full internationals coming out of a game like that without getting hammered for it.

Connacht are underfunded at this level compared to a team like Saracens who are also able to retain and attract a better calibre of player, so no-one is going to hang them for losing if they do the fundamentals well and are competitive. What happened was a disaster- sometimes these have a silver lining down the road, how players react to adversity and all that, but the Connacht jersey was not done justice and there has to be ramifications for that.

Not sure the aforementioned poster would understand those points unless he spoke afrikaners and you slipped him a few quid.

Lam needs to buck up his ideas and the players need a bollicking mostly.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Sun 19 Jan 2014, 2:32 am

ME-109 wrote:
Notch wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

Fair enoughski.

Not sure the aforementioned poster would understand those points unless he spoke afrikaners and you slipped him a few quid.

Lam needs to buck up his ideas and the players need a bollicking mostly.

We were playing for an Amlin place and we just turned over. Disgusted. The Toulouse game is meaningless if we don't improve in the league. Our forwards game is all individuals playing and our backs are a mix of open field runners and lads who love contact/the kick- there is no communication between the two styles. Lam is under pressure, we cannot finish bottom of the table. We need to be ahead of at least 2 teams. I know beshocked loves to talk about Connacht even more then his own teams, but he hasn't a clue what it means to grow up supporting "the development province" with no budget and no luck with refs; couple that with the constant pat on the heads and jolly good shows we get from even our Irish brethren and I see red. Even when there is some improvement we can't maintain passion or accuracy. We have it in us to be a top 6 side in the Rabo and a Amlin qualifier in the Heineken/Amlin Semi Finalist. We just have to go and Frak do it now.

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next