The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Groves Tweets Victory in IBF Rematch Hunt

+14
Izzi
ShahenshahG
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
tunes666
lambertm100
Strongback
hampo17
jimdig
hazharrison
Gerry SA
Duty281
Rodney
catchweight
Seanusarrilius
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Groves Tweets Victory in IBF Rematch Hunt Empty Groves Tweets Victory in IBF Rematch Hunt

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 24 Jan 2014, 5:51 pm

Groves has tweeted that the IBF have mandated an immediate rematch. How will it go down if Froch refuses the fight now? Hearn must be happy, too. He wants the rematch and this may force it without him having to really push Froch.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Groves Tweets Victory in IBF Rematch Hunt Empty Re: Groves Tweets Victory in IBF Rematch Hunt

Post by catchweight Fri 24 Jan 2014, 5:55 pm

Hearn could have played Froch in all this. I cant see George Groves on his own being able to force the IBF into a rematch. Hearn probably wanted to set up a rematch without leaning on Froch himself (who clearly didnt want it). If the IBF order it its the perfect solution. Just hope the officials are fair next time around.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Groves Tweets Victory in IBF Rematch Hunt Empty Re: Groves Tweets Victory in IBF Rematch Hunt

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 24 Jan 2014, 5:59 pm

I was thinking the same thing, mate. This is the most publicly political rematch I can remember in recent times.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jan 2014, 6:00 pm

Another opinion is that Hearn knew full well Groves would end up getting his way with the IBF and they quickly cobbled together a derisory offer but told the laymen that Groves is turning down a million quid ("what a chump eh boys and girls?" but neglecting to mention he's likely to get a shedload more if the IBF demand the fight takes place.

The timing of Froch announcing Groves is refusing the rematch and Groves then announcing the IBF has just ordered it is, to put it mildly, unfortunate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 24 Jan 2014, 6:07 pm

Froch to do a Bowe and dump the IBF belt in a bin ?

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 24 Jan 2014, 6:12 pm

Froch to retire rather than face a rematch, like Lennox Lewis?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 24 Jan 2014, 6:13 pm

Rodney wrote:Froch to do a Bowe and dump the IBF belt in a bin ?

Cheers Rodders
Then would Froch still parade around with his pretend WBA strap?

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jan 2014, 6:49 pm

Froch to do a dump in a bin and claim that it would beat George Groves ?

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 24 Jan 2014, 7:08 pm

Good old IBF. What's that? A payday slipping away? Then mandate!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 24 Jan 2014, 7:46 pm

Froch article on boxing scene quoting froch as saying, they've offered groves a 7 figure sum (double his last fee) for a rematch and he has turned it down.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 24 Jan 2014, 7:50 pm

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/groves-shocked-with-froch-statement-over-rematch--73960#ixzz2rLaUayyY
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

George Groves is still desperate for a rematch against Carl Froch despite turning down "unsatisfactory" terms from the WBA and IBF super-middleweight champion's team.

Froch claimed on Friday that British rival Groves rejected "a seven-figure sum" worth twice as much as his purse for their controversial fight in November.

Groves admits he has turned down an offer to avenge that ninth-round defeat but is adamant he is as eager as ever to get back into the ring with his 36-year-old conqueror.

Underdog Groves, 25, had Froch down in the first round and was ahead on the scorecard when the veteran champion rallied and forced a contentious ninth-round stoppage in Manchester last year.

Both Groves and the British public immediately called for a rematch which Froch seemed to consider only grudgingly. However, the Nottingham man on Friday insisted he has given the Londoner a shot at revenge.

"There has been plenty of speculation over the last few weeks regarding my future," Froch said.

"As it stands we are looking closely at two options - George Groves and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

"Yesterday, we made a seven-figure offer to George Groves for a second fight that would have seen him earn around double that of the first.

"Disappointingly, George rejected this offer so we are continuing our talks with (Chavez's promoters) Top Rank and (American broadcaster) HBO regarding Chavez Jnr.

"I understand the demand for the Groves fight in the UK, but also the demand in the US for the Chavez fight.

"Talks are ongoing and no doubt some further news will break soon. I'm happy to fight anyone, as I have done throughout my entire career."

Hammersmith fighter Groves responded: "I am unsure why Carl Froch has today released a statement implying I do not wish to take the fight, as I was under the impression we are still in negotiations.

"The Matchroom offer in question came with many stipulations and options I felt were unsatisfactory.

"I am currently awaiting an improved offer from his promoter, as well as speaking to other promoters interested in promoting this fight."

Groves, who felt referee Howard Foster stopped the fight too early when Froch had him briefly in trouble, added: "If I didn't want to fight Carl Froch then I wouldn't have invested so much time and money into appealing with the IBF over the dubious outcome of the first fight."

The IBF has since sided with Groves, ordering Froch to face him in a rematch within 90 days"

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 24 Jan 2014, 8:01 pm

The IBF have said that Howard Fosters stoppage was "inappropriate conduct" hopefully we'll get a neutral referee this time then.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 24 Jan 2014, 8:01 pm

Jim that offer was made before the IBF did this thumbsup

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 24 Jan 2014, 8:22 pm

Eddie showing the deft PR touch of a baby elephant again.......I suppose he is 6'5.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 24 Jan 2014, 8:27 pm

It was obvious that Eddie Hearn was talking out of his arse, regarding a fight with JCCjr.

Froch had only one option, George Groves.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by lambertm100 Fri 24 Jan 2014, 8:46 pm

Eddie Hearn claiming Groves is only entitled to a 15% cut now as he is ranked below number 3 by the IBF. Groves's hand is strengthened significantly though as he is now mandatory. Froch vs Chavez doesn't really sell if it is for the WBA 'regular' world title. How do you sell that to the fans when Ward is the WBA 'super' champion. I think Matchroom will now have to negotiate with Groves, let him have 30% and sign the deal. No other real option for either fighter, deal to be signed in the next fortnight imo.

lambertm100

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:21 pm

As its a mandatory it can go to purse bids.

It would be ROTF laughing stuff if Warren jumped in and won the purse bids.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat 25 Jan 2014, 1:05 am

http:

Groves is just trying to get more money, and Hearn is not happy with giving him too much....

Hearn and Froch are basically waving the Chavez Jr fight around as to say if he does not take the offer they will go elsewhere... and Groves is trying to make it look like Froch is ducking him so he is put under more pressure to take the fight and offer Groves more money..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 25 Jan 2014, 7:55 am

And it's working. The majority of people are on Groves side and have turned on Froch
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 25 Jan 2014, 8:41 am

I'm fairly sure I read last week that Its nailed on that Chavez Jr will be fighting a rematch with Vera.

Putting aside my dislike for Eddie's false face tactics I have to say I really think he is making a balls of this. I wouldn't be surprised if Booth is advising Groves in the background.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 25 Jan 2014, 8:57 am

If Frank Warren gets this I will bum him for a month

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 25 Jan 2014, 9:22 am

Strongback wrote:I'm fairly sure I read last week that Its nailed on that Chavez Jr will be fighting a rematch with Vera.

Putting aside my dislike for Eddie's false face tactics I have to say I really think he is making a balls of this.  I wouldn't be surprised if Booth is advising Groves in the background.
Yeah Chavez Jr has to fight Vera next. 

HBO aren't interested in any other match up for Chavez Jr

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Sat 25 Jan 2014, 9:45 am

Funny how no one seems to care Groves has turned down Frochs offer to fight? Rumour has it a seven figure number well, well above what he earned last time.

To me, that seems like Froch wants the fight???! He's not pricing himself out of it... Groves wants more but has to accept Froch as champ and being the better known brings more to the table. Froch vs Bute sells out in minutes, Groves vs Bute wouldn't as an example.

If this gets made, hopefully in my awesome London Town, who's going?!

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 25 Jan 2014, 9:59 am

Izzi - Read through the other threads - 1 - it could just be 1 million out of the 6-7 million projected - he can get a better deal than that and two he has to sign with Eddie Hearn for the next four fights - That is what people called slave contracts when the Klitschkos did it. So Groves elected not to sign rather than sign and then cry about it afterwards. Plus now he can get 25% of the purse minimum and might get alot more money should purse bids go far.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Sat 25 Jan 2014, 10:12 am

Shah,

Point was Froch wants the fight, why you bring up Eddie wanting him for the next 4 fights I don't know... And to be fair he's the #1 guy and sky's promoter, it wouldn't exactly be a bad career move.

Point is Froch offered him the fight, yet you still try and find holes?

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sat 25 Jan 2014, 10:21 am

There is holes that's why. Groves had to accept that Hearn would be in charge of his next 4 fights, that's out of order and if it was anyone but Froch we'd all be going mad that they shouldn't be allowed to do that.

Another point, why should Groves settle for less when he's entitled to more??? I know i wouldn't take it and i wouldn't expect anyone else would either.

Doesn't make much of a difference now anyone as Froch's been ordered to rematch and we can all look forward to what will hopefully be another cracking barnstormer, but with a proper outcome this time.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 25 Jan 2014, 10:31 am

Izzi wrote:Shah,

Point was Froch wants the fight, why you bring up Eddie wanting him for the next 4 fights I don't know... And to be fair he's the #1 guy and sky's promoter, it wouldn't exactly be a bad career move.

Point is Froch offered him the fight, yet you still try and find holes?

I would argue that Groves probably knew that he'd be successful in his IBF appeal, meaning he is now entitled to more money, if he had signed the original contract then he would have been stuck receiving a lot less.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 25 Jan 2014, 10:35 am

ShahenshahG wrote:Izzi - Read through the other threads - 1 - it could just be 1 million out of the 6-7 million projected - he can get a better deal than that and two he has to sign with Eddie Hearn for the next four fights - That is what people called slave contracts when the Klitschkos did it. So Groves elected not to sign rather than sign and then cry about it afterwards. Plus now he can get 25% of the purse minimum and might get alot more money should purse bids go far.

Eddie tweeted last night that Groves Will only get 15% of the split as he is not ranked in the top 3 with the IBF.

The twist is the fight must be agreed between Forch and Groves' teams or it goes to purse bids. From memory the fight has to happen in the next 90 days.

Groves has an ace up his sleeve. I feel the Dark Lord is at work here. Eddie looking schoolboyish.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 25 Jan 2014, 10:39 am

if you offer contracts you know aren't going to be accepted then thats not wanting the fight - its trying to be smart and that isn't quite Carl's forte. Now Its going to be simple negotiations - 75-25% (or thereabouts) and Groves gets double the offer. Or froch vacates and gets dogs abuse (fairly) and gets all his career questioned (unfairly). Just interesting to see how he behaves when he's on top rather than when he had little to lose.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Sat 25 Jan 2014, 10:48 am

Thing is guys why does Groves suddenly have a much bigger say? Find it amusing how some perceive his right to wait out for a better deal - he is entitled to in all fairness... But Froch has got other options that will still earn him a big wad of cash.. Groves will go from a seven figure sum to a couple of hundred grand. Froch could in theory challenge anyone (barring Ward) if they're free to fight and get them. Groves can't command that.

Whilst there's ill feeling towards Froch lets not lose focus of that Groves has been offered a career high payday by Froch and after all his drum banging of wanting the rematch he has it on a plate. If the fight does fall through let's keep a bit of perspective and not jump on one side of the fence yeah?

Groves had the ball in his side of the court, he threw it back wanting a bouncier ball.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 25 Jan 2014, 10:51 am

ShahenshahG wrote:if you offer contracts you know aren't going to be accepted then thats not wanting the fight - its trying to be smart and that isn't quite Carl's forte. Now Its going to be simple negotiations - 75-25% (or thereabouts) and Groves gets double the offer. Or froch vacates and gets dogs abuse (fairly) and gets all his career questioned (unfairly). Just interesting to see how he behaves when he's on top rather than when he had little to lose.

Groves is in the box seat. Eddie either pays him a significant split or the fight goes to purse bids. Eddie will not let the fight go to another promoter so either he coughs up to Groves or they don't take the right and Froch vacates.

Eddie has tried to be a clever guy with the 4 fight handcuffs but he was up against the most deviously unorthodox man in British boxing. Eddie was thinking in straight lines and Booth ran rings around him.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Jan 2014, 11:05 am

Thought Groves had left Booth? You buy this idea of Booth the Kidology King,Strongback?
Personally I'm interested in his potential looking after Cleverley. Here we have the best mathematician with the king of mind-games.If only boxing didn't involve actually being straight with people now and again,or in Nathan's case, getting punched in the face.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 25 Jan 2014, 11:08 am

Izzi wrote:Thing is guys why does Groves suddenly have a much bigger say? Find it amusing how some perceive his right to wait out for a better deal - he is entitled to in all fairness... But Froch has got other options that will still earn him a big wad of cash.. Groves will go from a seven figure sum to a couple of hundred grand. Froch could in theory challenge anyone (barring Ward) if they're free to fight and get them. Groves can't command that.

Whilst there's ill feeling towards Froch lets not lose focus of that Groves has been offered a career high payday by Froch and after all his drum banging of wanting the rematch he has it on a plate. If the fight does fall through let's keep a bit of perspective and not jump on one side of the fence yeah?

Groves had the ball in his side of the court, he threw it back wanting a bouncier ball.

Groves has a bigger say much in the same way Haye had the bigger say with fury - because he can't make the same money elsewhere fighting somewhere else. And groves can command that because of the mandatory rematch - which is probably what he's been waiting for. Interesting though that they should revela both things so close to each other - Perhaps eddie knew what was going down and wanted to put in an offer to muddy the waters abit.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 25 Jan 2014, 11:09 am

andygf wrote:Thought Groves had left Booth? You buy this idea of Booth the Kidology King,Strongback?
Personally I'm interested in his potential  looking after Cleverley. Here we  have the best mathematician with the king of  mind-games.If only boxing didn't involve actually being straight with people now and again,or in Nathan's case, getting punched in the face.

I have a sneaking suspicion Booth is still involved in the management of Groves.This lastest move by Groves has the hallmarks of Booth written all over and it.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat 25 Jan 2014, 11:10 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:And it's working. The majority of people are on Groves side and have turned on Froch
I dont think so, Froch still has his support.

Froch is the champ Froch can still make a good pay day in the US, and with it maybe being an easier fight it would mean he would still be able to come back and fight Groves..  Where is Groves going to make good money now? And if it goes to purse bids who is to say that Groves will get any more cash?

If it goes to purse bids then Hearn is more likely to want to drop the IBF strap than Froch....

Also What if Ward is in line for a shot at the Vacant IBF strap, would that be a better fight for Groves?

People keep pretending that even if Froch did dodge Groves, that it would some how remove his current record of people he has not dodged and beat, which of course is not the case.

If Froch takes on Groves and looses, he wont get as big US fight as he would now... So it makes more sense for him to take the easier option now, and the harder fight next so he can make money... its not just about ducking, he is in has last days so has every right to pick his fights carefully and to make sure he gets every penny he can.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 25 Jan 2014, 11:17 am

Ward is not ranked by the IBF.

DeGale is ranked at No.5. Groves v DeGale for the IBF belt. It's a decent fight.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Sat 25 Jan 2014, 11:31 am

Strongback wrote:Ward is not ranked by the IBF.

DeGale is ranked at No.5.  Groves v DeGale for the IBF belt.  It's a decent fight.

If you think a one sided whooping is decent? Groves has progressed, Degimp has stood still and isn't on his level, would fancy Groves to finish it early.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 25 Jan 2014, 11:35 am

De Gale via UD

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Sat 25 Jan 2014, 12:10 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:De Gale via UD

And MM provides our case study today, kids: DONT TAKE DRUGS!

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat 25 Jan 2014, 2:38 pm

Would love to see Degale v Groves 2!

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat 25 Jan 2014, 2:40 pm

Izzi wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:De Gale via UD

And MM provides our case study today, kids: DONT TAKE DRUGS!

Yeah right because in the first fight Groves totaly outclassed Degale!.... NOT

And who had Groves fought to supposedly show he came on leaps and bounds after fighting Degale?

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 25 Jan 2014, 2:43 pm

I think it's more that Degale doesn't look anywhere near as good as he did prior to the Groves fight Tunes, while GG has proven he can hold his own at world level in the Froch fight.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat 25 Jan 2014, 3:05 pm

hampo171 wrote:I think it's more that Degale doesn't look anywhere near as good as he did prior to the Groves fight Tunes, while GG has proven he can hold his own at world level in the Froch fight.
But he has fought better fighters than he did prior to the Groves fight... Admittedly the fight he had against that French champ bloke was quite poor, but other than that he has looked good.

After the Degale fight he fought Euro level fighters... of course he would not beat them as easy.

Groves looked rubbish against Anderson, and looked much better against Degale and surprised allot of people in that fight... so yes if we compare Groves now to how poor he was against Anderson then he has come on leaps and bounds. But from what I have seen in the fight with Degale and onwards I dont think he has particularly got loads better, just been very consistent, where Degale has had rounds where he has taken his eye off the ball.

I would admit Mentaly Groves seem to be ahead of Degale, but I have no doubt that ability wise Degale is more than a match...

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 25 Jan 2014, 3:15 pm

There's not beating them easily, and then there's getting hit with shots that a fighter with his level of ability shouldn't be taking. For me, Degale hasn't improved at all since the Groves fight while Groves has improved no end. His right hand is now a real weapon and he has shown he can adjust his game plan numerous times, while we all know Degale has one plan and if plan A doesn't work then Degale isn't effective.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 25 Jan 2014, 3:34 pm

Just imagine how big a nightclub Degale could fill for a Groves rematch.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 25 Jan 2014, 6:20 pm

My point was Groves has a viable fight for a belt in DeGale should Froch vacate.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat 25 Jan 2014, 6:24 pm

hampo171 wrote:There's not beating them easily, and then there's getting hit with shots that a fighter with his level of ability shouldn't betaking.
True, he has been caught sometimes with some silly shots and also solid shots, including a couple from Groves which he took very well...

But in the same fights he has gone 3 or 4 rounds with out the guy getting close to hitting him... which to me indicates its a focus thing rather than an ability.

I would agree his mind set needs to change and sharpen up...

For me, Degale hasn't improved at all since the Groves fight while Groves has improved no end.
I think while he has been consistent and constantly shown his power, I do not see who he has beaten to merit that claim.

After the Froch fight we can see he is more than capable of fighting at world level (unless we go on to see Froch in decline and Groves struggle against another world level fighter which is probably not the case)

But after seeing Groves against Froch, I don't think its unreasonable to say that Degale could also give Froch allot of problems. If anything he is faster than Groves, has done more 12 rounds where he has ended strong, and has proven to take a shot.

When Groves "beat" Degale everyone was shocked at how much better he was compared to how poor he looked against Anderson. Since then Im not sure what he has done that is such a change apart from not come up against anyone as good as Degale.

His right hand is now a real weapon and he has shown he can adjust his game plan numerous times
His right hand has always been his main weapon.. in his last 13 fights he has KOed everyone apart from.... Degale, Johnson, and Froch (after catching him clean), and also Groves had allways been good at adjusting. Even when he was floored by Anderson, he came back out knowing Anderson trained for 6 rounds and he worked the body, and won. Against Degale he had a perfect plan to expose so flaws in Degales game.. Degale then adjusted in that fight and went on to turn it into a very close fight who some had him winning.

, while we all know Degale has one plan and if plan A doesn't work then Degale isn't effective.
I don't think that's true though. For example against Piotr Wilczewski he started well, then PW started catching him and actually landed a peach of a shot which hurt Degale... from then on Degale was caught a couple more times... but then after a couple rounds, he was out boxing him and saw the fight out as a clear winner. If he was not able to adjust why was he not getting caught for the rest of the fight?

He does not have the power Groves has So he is not going to KO everyone like Groves does... But then again I have not seen Groves outbox someone for 12 rounds... apart from a very over the hill Johnson who still gave Groves some hairy moments at times..

The best way to judge is to tell me a fighter Groves has fought who you think would beat Degale? ... I guess you could say Froch, but to be honest I think Degale could also give Froch problems.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat 25 Jan 2014, 6:28 pm

Rowley wrote:Just imagine how big a nightclub Degale could fill for a Groves rematch.
Its not as if Groves was packing places out before the Froch fight, He has about as much personality as a carrot.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 25 Jan 2014, 6:34 pm

Degale doesn't have the power to get Frochs respect Tunes, Froch would walk through the punches to land his own shots, and I genuinely believe most fighters at the next level up will.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 25 Jan 2014, 6:48 pm

I think it is a valid question to ask how much does Froch have left, Groves might have been flattered. Time will tell.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next