The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floyd Mayweather - Vote For My Next Opponent

+12
Izzi
joeyjojo618
B.A. BARACUS
Lumbering_Jack
TRUSSMAN66
compelling and rich
88Chris05
mobilemaster8
spencerclarke
catchweight
Strongback
hampo17
16 posters

Go down

Floyd Mayweather - Vote For My Next Opponent Empty Floyd Mayweather - Vote For My Next Opponent

Post by hampo17 Mon 03 Feb 2014, 5:27 pm

I've put a poll up on the journal to see who everyone would prefer him to fight ahead of Wednesdays podcast.

http://v2journal.com/16/post/2014/02/floyd-mayweather-vote-for-my-next-opponent.html

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Floyd Mayweather - Vote For My Next Opponent Empty Re: Floyd Mayweather - Vote For My Next Opponent

Post by Strongback Mon 03 Feb 2014, 5:31 pm

Stuck a vote in.  Who I want to see him fight next out of those two is a no brainer for me.

Edit: just noticed the "other" option  picard 

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Floyd Mayweather - Vote For My Next Opponent Empty Re: Floyd Mayweather - Vote For My Next Opponent

Post by catchweight Mon 03 Feb 2014, 5:38 pm

Is Other a young hungry fighter from South California with Mexican parents?

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 03 Feb 2014, 5:42 pm

Other is whoever you want it to be, as it says in the article. If you vote for other, name the fighter and we'll discuss the merits of that guy getting a shot.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 03 Feb 2014, 5:46 pm

Id like Golovkin at for his light middleweight belt.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Mon 03 Feb 2014, 6:31 pm

GGG stated in his interview with boxing news that he will only step up in weight not down. He comes across as a no bs type of guy so doesnt look like this one will happen. Shame as it would be a great fight.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 03 Feb 2014, 6:35 pm

For ten million dollars he might change his mind!

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 03 Feb 2014, 6:35 pm

Id prefer "other"

Opponent to be Tim Bradley

Undefeated, beat JMM, Prov and Pacman......deserved.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 03 Feb 2014, 6:50 pm

Doesn't really matter if Golovkin could or was willing to make 154 - Mayweather wouldn't entertain the idea of that fight, which is perfectly understandable.

Floyd's fought three times in the Light-Middleweight class. Two of them were against men who'd started their championship careers way below that (De la Hoya at 130, Cotto at 140). The one time he has faced a man who is a career and totally natural Light-Middle, he requested a 152 catchweight.

So a fully-fledged, career 160 pounder? Forget it.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 03 Feb 2014, 6:55 pm

actually don't mind him fighting khan, bit of interest over here at least. maidana is a terrible option, i like marcos but he'll be taught a lesson by mayweather

dont think mayweather holds massive power which we all know is khans kryptonite so should pose a threat and its a different fight to which mayweather hasnt fought for a while.

mobile- while on the record its true cant say having seen those fights i agree, beat jmm, very lucky to not be stopped by prov and got beat by pacman was what really happened. not sure what bradley brings that makes a fight with Floyd even slightly interesting

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 03 Feb 2014, 6:58 pm

Golovkin is a pipe dream fight but if we are going off plausibles then we are stuck with Khan or Maidana.....

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Feb 2014, 9:04 pm

Golovkin should stay a pipe dream...........Be like Duran fighting Spinks........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 03 Feb 2014, 9:08 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Golovkin should stay a pipe dream...........Be like Duran fighting Spinks........

Well not really.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Feb 2014, 9:09 pm

Following me around are you....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 03 Feb 2014, 9:11 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Following me around are you....

Don't want people to reply then don't comment.......... Dumbass.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Feb 2014, 9:15 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Doesn't really matter if Golovkin could or was willing to make 154 - Mayweather wouldn't entertain the idea of that fight, which is perfectly understandable.

Floyd's fought three times in the Light-Middleweight class. Two of them were against men who'd started their championship careers way below that (De la Hoya at 130, Cotto at 140). The one time he has faced a man who is a career and totally natural Light-Middle, he requested a 152 catchweight.

So a fully-fledged, career 160 pounder? Forget it.

In fairness Whittaker only went from 135 -147 so who can blame Mayweather for catchweight.....

would have loved to have seen Norris v Whittaker...............Taylor's battering probably ruled that out..

Never mind though hey ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 03 Feb 2014, 9:19 pm

135-154, beefster!

Not that it's relevant, mind you. Appreciate that you want to find reasons to trumpet Floyd's greatness, but if you read my post properly you'll see I didn't actually criticise him! "Perfectly understandable" that he and Golovkin aren't on each other's radars.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Mon 03 Feb 2014, 9:20 pm

catchweight wrote:Golovkin is a pipe dream fight but if we are going off plausibles then we are stuck with Khan or Maidana.....

It's a pipe dream because Mayweather would not entertain the idea. Despite holding a belt at 154, he clearly has no intention of taking on a challenger who has a legitimate chance of beating him.

GGG's team has stated that he is willing to come down to 154, so there is no reason why this fight should not be made. GGG's trainer Abel Sanchez made the following statement regarding Mayweather only weeks ago:

""I think that Golovkin is really the only name out there that is gonna give him the kind of payday that he had in his last bout with Canelo, there's nobody on the horizon who's gonna give him a 40 or 50 million dollar payday and if Golovkin is the guy, then we're willing to go down to 154...Now, it's a matter of Floyd putting it together..."

Rather than asking his 'fans' to pick who he should fight out of mismatched opponents like Khan or Maidana, why not broaden the options to include GGG or Lara...i doubt whether Khan or Maidiana would be at the top of anyone's list in this scenario.

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 03 Feb 2014, 9:22 pm

Why is it 'perfectly understandable'? I can see why Mayweather only wants to take fights he knows he'll win, but why do boxing fans just accept it?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 03 Feb 2014, 9:34 pm

TRUSSMAN will explain it for you if you ask him nicely

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 03 Feb 2014, 9:43 pm

catchweight wrote:TRUSSMAN will explain it for you if you ask him nicely

I thinks it's because he's been dominating 'the sport of boxing' for 56 years. He deserves an easy night.

Trussy will be upset that his beloved City are getting beat tonight.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 03 Feb 2014, 10:29 pm

I've never accepted Mayweather's attitude in recent years towards selecting his opponents, LJ. I've said plenty of times over that his Welterweight career hasn't been anything like it should have been, and I literally am embarrassed when I see otherwise intelligent people still to this day trying to claim that he never did his utmost to swerve and put off the Pacquiao fight.

But Floyd against Golovkin? I think lambasting Mayweather for not taking or showing an interest in this fight is taking things a bit too far. Sure, strictly speaking, it's conceivable. But even an amazing boxer like Mayweather has a wall he's going to hit in terms of moving up in weight, and his performances at 154 suggest that Light-Middleweight is probably it. Golovkin has never been lower than 160 and could probably beat everyone at Super-Middleweight barring Ward, on the other hand.

Marquez has managed to compete as a Welter recently, right at the tail end of his career (just as Mayweather is at the tail end of his now), but come on, are we really going to say that if Alvarez called out Marquez we wouldn't be thinking to ourselves "Hhhmm, think Marquez is just a bit too small here, and it's a mismatch of size?"

I think the level of expectation around Floyd, as well as the legitimate reasons he gives people to be critical of him, have caused some to go in to overdrive. In fairness, Truss has a point - does anyone really hold it against someone like Whitaker for not taking on someone like Terry Norris? Nobody does now, and nobody even took any notice of it in Whitaker's peak either, namely because he wasn't having the same 'cherry picker' accusations flung at him as Mayweather has. Had Whitaker not fought Chavez, for instance, then I imagine a few more would have piped up about Norris in, say, 1995, even though it was a bit fanciful. Likewise, had Mayweather fought Pacquiao when he should have done, I imagine that most would view a potential Golovkin fight for what it is - just a far out pipe dream which would be fun, but hardly necessary to either man's legacy.

I'm far from a Floyd supporter in that respect, but let's be reasonable. The guy's nothing more than a Welter at best really if we're talking natural and optimum fighting weight, and hardly a huge one at that either. I think in this case, people are just so desperate to see him take a genuine 50:50 or truly risky fight that they'll clutch at any straw.

I don't like the way he's dodged the Pacquiao fight, or how his acolytes basically say he shouldn't have to fight someone like Lara simply because of that vomit-inducing 'he doesn't sell' argument, but I won't be holding it against him that Golovkin hasn't even entered his mind, personally. How far up do people want Floyd to go in weight?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Tue 04 Feb 2014, 1:27 am

"...I don't like the way he's dodged the Pacquiao fight, or how his acolytes basically say he shouldn't have to fight someone like Lara simply because of that vomit-inducing 'he doesn't sell' argument, but I won't be holding it against him that Golovkin hasn't even entered his mind, personally. How far up do people want Floyd to go in weight..?"

Personally i don't feel it's at all unreasonable to suggest a light middleweight champion take on a middleweight challenger who is prepared to drop down to 154.

Regardless of whether Mayweather is at his best fighting at 154, he holds a world title in that weight class and is therefore fair game for any other fighters competing in and around that division.

If is reasonable for Mayweather to have Marquez jump a couple of weight classes in order to secure a fight at a catchweight of 144 lbs - having previously never fought above 130-135 lbs - then i cannot fathom why it's a step too far asking a willing Golovkin to shed a few pounds and compete at light-middleweight.

I am puzzled as to why this is viewed as a pie in the sky matchup. On the one hand you have an undefeated light-middleweight champion who is struggling to find any kind of legitimate opposition, on the other hand there is a undefeated middleweight champion who is prepared to drop one weight class to make one of the biggest fights in recent memory...i may be missing something here but what is problem with the above scenario??

Were is not for the fact that the name Mayweather was part of the above equation, then i seriously doubt whether anyone would question the feasibility or legitimacy of this contest.

History is littered with fighters competing at a weight class above/below their optimum division - if Mayweather is too small for Golovkin, then he should/would not be holding a light-middleweight title.

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Tue 04 Feb 2014, 2:00 am

Golovkin has never fought at light-middleweight (as far as I know) and has said that he is stepping up to SMW. Floyd is not a particularly big welterweight. Seems fairly clear cut to me BA. If anything, GGG should be touted as an opponent for Ward. Anyway I agree completely with Chris on that.

Bradley or Garcia, either would be good for me. I want to see Lara build up a bit more momentum, but he has potential for the future.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 04 Feb 2014, 8:09 am

If Mayweather is a light middleweight champion, and Golovkin can challenge him at light middleweight then thats good enough for me.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Tue 04 Feb 2014, 8:27 am

catchweight wrote:If Mayweather is a light middleweight champion, and Golovkin can challenge him at light middleweight then thats good enough for me.

Just inviting abuse for weight draining him, would prefer he get Garcia up to 147 although he's not technically good enough to trouble him. Saying that in comparison to Maidana he's SRLs illegitimate child in terms of skill!

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 04 Feb 2014, 8:36 am

I seriously doubt he will get abuse if (suspending reality) he ever did fight Golovkin at light middleweight. He fought Alvarez at a catchweight and people considered that the holy grail.

I want to see him fight someone who will pose him a challenge or partake in a fight that has some meaning beyond the Forbes rich list.

Pacquaio and Bradley are the most qualified welters. Lara is the most qualified light middle and Golovkin would be a really huge challenge. We wont get any of them.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Tue 04 Feb 2014, 8:45 am

Would just prefer him to go up to middle to face GGG. Yeah yeah yeah he'll be outweighed etc etc but if he were to do that and win then his legacy suddenly goes through the roof. Fighting him at LMW does have appeal but not on the same level.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 04 Feb 2014, 9:10 am

Either/Or for me but will never happen.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Tue 04 Feb 2014, 9:20 am

Im not interested in seeing if Floyd can run away from a MW for 12 rounds, which he would have to do.

Bradley or Pacman would be great, the stupid TR/GB feud is a much bigger problem as far as Im concerned.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Tue 04 Feb 2014, 9:24 am

joeyjojo618 wrote:Im not interested in seeing if Floyd can run away from a MW for 12 rounds, which he would have to do.

Bradley or Pacman would be great, the stupid TR/GB feud is a much bigger problem as far as Im concerned.  

He's hardly going to stand there and release his bombs is he?!  picard 

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Tue 04 Feb 2014, 9:25 am

Dont know what the point of that statement was. You agree that Floyd would just be on his bike the whole time and it would be a dull fight?

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Tue 04 Feb 2014, 9:56 am

joeyjojo618 wrote:Dont know what the point of that statement was. You agree that Floyd would just be on his bike the whole time and it would be a dull fight?

Personally I would like to see the guy give away 20lbs and see if his vaunted defence is able to withstand the onslaught GGG would bring.

It wouldn't be Gatti vs Ward I but the appreciation, if he were to win, would be massively beyond if he went toe to toe with someone like Khan. Agree?

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Tue 04 Feb 2014, 11:29 am

Who here is arguing that Khan would be a better name on his resume than GGG?

The point is that I think its unfair to criticize Floyd for not getting in with someone who would outweigh him by 20lbs and have basically every physical advantage. I dont want to see a WW fighting a MW - Floyd either gets flattened or does a Haye and runs for 12 rounds.

I want to see the best take on the best in and around 140-154. Mayweather, Bradley, Pacman, Garcia, Lara. All fine for me. The Top Rank issue is the bigger problem. I agree that Khan is not the best choice out there. You wont find many people who think he is.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 04 Feb 2014, 11:35 am

I personally don’t want to see Floyd fight GGG. The last thing I want to see as a fan is a fight that intrigues me. Similarly I do not want to see the best fighter of his generation try to do something that we may still be discussing with hushed reverence 20 years from now.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Tue 04 Feb 2014, 11:41 am

Rowley wrote:I personally don’t want to see Floyd fight GGG. The last thing I want to see as a fan is a fight that intrigues me. Similarly I do not want to see the best fighter of his generation try to do something that we may still be discussing with hushed reverence 20 years from now.

Wipe that sarcasm flavoured ice cream from your mouth old boy.

Sadly I've got more chance of signing to fight GGG than Floyd would ever succumb to even thinking about.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Tue 04 Feb 2014, 11:53 am

Im intrigued by fair fights, I dont go in for the trend of fighters moving up to weights they are not comfortable with as they get older. Seems to happen a lot but it I think its dangerous.

Lots of fights to be made at 147, they should get on with making them.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 04 Feb 2014, 12:29 pm

To clarify what I've said above - it's not that I wouldn't want to see Mayweather-Golovkin. Far from it. If Mayweather took that fight it'd be (be an absolute mile) the most intrigued and excited I'd ever be over a Mayweather fight.

What I'm saying is that not taking the fight, or even considering it, shouldn't be a rod to beat him with. It would be nice to see, but the respective career positions right now and natural size and weight of the two men mean that I just don't see it as a natural next step for either man. To me, it's a fight which maybe could happen, rather than the sort of fight which should happen.

Kind of like me wishing that Ward did something a wee bit drastic and had a Cruiserweight experiment by challenging someone like Huck or Hernandez (Ward did win gold at the Olympics as a Light-Heavyweight, for instance). It'd be very interesting and one hell of a risk, but failing to do that won't be anywhere near as damaging to his legacy or pound for pound standing as failing to fight someone like Stevenson, Golovkin or Kovalev would be.

If he fails to take on one of Garcia, Lara or the winner of Bradley-Pacquiao II (yes, I know, HBO and Top Rank against Showtime and Golden Boy and all that jazz) in his next outing after Khan / Maidana, then yes, that would be another major cause for complaint (and I'll stress, I'm no Floyd fan boy to begin with).

I'd love to see Floyd try his hand as a Middleweight against Golovkin, it'd be fantastic for the sport and a fight which could put his legacy through the roof. But I can't help but feel that if Mayweather had taken on the likes of Cotto (I'm talking a peak version) or Pacquiao a few years back, the calls for a Golovkin fight, and the criticism over it not happening, would be a lot quieter and less frequent.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 04 Feb 2014, 12:32 pm

The issue you have Joey is that he is limited to GBP fighters due to the "cold war". While I agree there are enough fighters he could fight in the division because of the ongoing feud he will not, or can not fight these guys.

I'm not sure a move to fight GGG is the right thing, and if he totally outclassed the bigger man some would then say GGG was overhyped and hadn't beaten anyone of note. A fight with Lara interests me more to be honest.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue 04 Feb 2014, 1:00 pm

the golovkin fight would never happen. i dont hold that against Flloyd. If he fights Khan then he deserves plenty of stick though.

id be happy with Bradley, Pac or Lara

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 04 Feb 2014, 1:03 pm

lets not get too carried away with GGG just yet, he still hasnt got a name on his record thats top class. and while being the bigger man and how good he has looked so far means that it would look a very tough test for Floyd, the way people are talking is its like floyd is facing a prime hagler at the weight

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 04 Feb 2014, 1:19 pm

Think for me CnR that is what is so intriguing about the fight. Was Golovkin a fully fledged monster and stone wall cert for being a top five at middleweight nobody would be calling for the fight. As you have alluded to he has looked good so far, but against reasonably second tier opposition. He is also relatively inexperienced at world level. As such those of us asking for the fight are not really asking Floyd to challenge King Kong. My own personal view is Floyd’s clear edges in experience and skill are adequate compensation for the physical advantages enjoyed by GGG and so the fight is a pick em at worst.

As others have said would not overly criticize Floyd as and when it does not happen but do get baffled by the position of some on here. Surely fans should want to see fights that get their juices flowing and where they can’t pick a winner. Do get the feeling sometimes that there are folk on here who are members of the Mayweather family or on a percentage of his future purses so desperate are they to see him take fights that will not trouble his 0.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 04 Feb 2014, 1:27 pm

A certain poster didn't want Floyd to fight Manny in case he got caught by a daft one and lost his 0.
I find it astonishing fans don't want the best to meet the best.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 04 Feb 2014, 1:42 pm

have to agree especially about fans loving the pick ems, i dont watch half the boxing i used to and generally when i do its a card full of one sided fights where i could tell you what was going to happen beforehand.

people also say they love watching Floyd and rigo's of the world, while i can appreciate there technical abilities they are rarely in a close fight. i was bored to tears in the last rigo fight because you knew exactly what was going to happen it was like a poor sparring match.

for me i would rather watch some unknown 50/50 fight where the fight can turn at any point, think some fans these days are just happy if a "big" name fights. people have gotten far to used to mismatches that when a pick em is mentioned it gets shot down, see above

saying that id still have Floyd favorite over ggg

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 04 Feb 2014, 2:26 pm

Rodney wrote:A certain poster didn't want Floyd to fight Manny in case he got caught by a daft one and lost his 0.

Cheers Rodders

Yep, that one blew my mind as well.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Tue 04 Feb 2014, 2:33 pm

Boxtthis wrote:
Rodney wrote:A certain poster didn't want Floyd to fight Manny in case he got caught by a daft one and lost his 0.

Cheers Rodders

Yep, that one blew my mind as well.

Truss?

Even if it's not him expect an article slating GGG then hailing him as more dangerous than provoked grizzly bear if FMJ had the cahonas to offer him a fight.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 04 Feb 2014, 2:38 pm

TRUSSMAN is only having a laugh. He is a performer. Enjoy his shows for what they are.

He is probably on a Catholic Church forum at the moment with 10 REASONS CONTRACEPTION IS OK!!! thread going in full swing.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Feb 2014, 5:45 pm

Maybe when I know as much as you. I wont have to perform....By the way I said mayweather has nothing to gain from beating Manny.... Id love him to fight Bradley who is the most deserving and the best around ....Manny is 1-2 remember

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down