The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broner v Khan

+24
3fingers
Gerry SA
mobilemaster8
hazharrison
Rodney
Boxtthis
TRUSSMAN66
Rowley
Izzi
88Chris05
ShahenshahG
bellchees
superflyweight
TopHat24/7
Duty281
owen10ozzy
AlexHuckerby
ONETWOFOREVER
tunes666
Strongback
catchweight
Steffan
Hammersmith harrier
hogey
28 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Broner v Khan Empty Broner v Khan

Post by hogey Sun 2 Mar - 22:02

Lots of rumours flying about and also some hints from Floyd and Broner himself that he might fight Khan in May on Floyd's under card. That would be a very good support fight and would undoubtedly help shift PPVs

hogey

Back to top Go down

Broner v Khan Empty Re: Broner v Khan

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 2 Mar - 22:05

I would guess that the masterplan is the hope that Khan wins thus setting up the September card perfectly.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sun 2 Mar - 22:17

Yes that's the idea of it from what i can gather, it either legitimatizes Khan a bit or removes him from the equation completely. It would be a shiz or bust to a certain extent for both of them at the top level to be honest.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 2 Mar - 22:18

Khan would win

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sun 2 Mar - 22:20

I would love to see Khan batter him, but if i was a betting man i would fancy Broner to stop him.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 2 Mar - 22:27

Fancy Khan to win that. He might do a couple of chicken dances and have to get off the floor but he is too busy and fast for Broner who hasnt looked much cop. Its a good fight. they will need a good undercard to support the pointless mismatch main event.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 2 Mar - 22:36

From Twitter:

@FloydMayweather, tell @AdrienBroner to fight me on your card and when I beat him, you fight me next!

12:31am - 2 Mar 14

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 2 Mar - 22:39

I think Khan would win, Broner doesn't possess the attributes to expose his weaknesses and all the physical advantages are with Khan. Khan wins and it sets up the Mayweather fight, Broner loses and it sets up a potential rematch with Maidana, would be a high risk fight for both really, their careers effectively rest in the balance.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun 2 Mar - 22:58

Will be a better fight than watching Mayweather pick off Maidana all night, Why is he fighting Maidana and not Garcia anyway?  Clearly Garcia is the more potent opposition where Maidana has been found out many times...  And at Least Khan would have brought something different to the fight.

Khan & Broner is a great fight though...  my money would be on Khan but close one.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 3 Mar - 2:58

What has Khan done to deserve a crack at Broner???

see nobody is asking this question. Anyway Broner will ko Khan early.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 3 Mar - 3:45

Broner doesn't have a belt and is coming off a loss, no arguments from me for this one, awesome fight, pretty excited for it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 3 Mar - 11:15

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:What has Khan done to deserve a crack at Broner???

That's because it would be a stupid question to ask!!

Anyway to topic in question: be a good chief support act for the Mayweather card, though still wouldn't pay $70+ for it if I was in America, luckily I'm in Britain so needn't worry about that.

Think Khan wins it with couple of sticky point's. I actually would see it going similar to Maidana fight in that I can see Khan taking many of the early rounds and putting Broner down at least once...before fading on the stretch and seeing Broner get back into it. Ultimately a close UD to Khan come the end.

With regards to Mayweather and his tweet about him being willing to face Khan should he beat him....I would read nothing into that given the clear bull***t that he has spouted lately. Why anyone would believe him I have no idea given the way he strung out announcing his opponent, told us all he would pick the winner of a poll from the fans then completely ignored it...and people question why very few believe his stories regards Pacman  Doh 

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 3 Mar - 11:20

Such a fight would mean I'd be supporting Broner for the first time.

Golly.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 3 Mar - 12:00

owen10ozzy wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:What has Khan done to deserve a crack at Broner???

That's because it would be a stupid question to ask!!

Laugh Laugh 

Indeed.

The answer to your question, OneTwo, is that, Truss aside, nobody is stuck as far up Broner's bum-hole as you!!

What has Broner done to deserve Khan, more like!!

Broner scraped past PM, in a fight he was lucky to win, and then got battered by a guy Khan had already fairly comfortably beaten. That's Broner's record above 140. Not a patch on Khan's and, as per any classless arrogant bully that gets shown up, Broner's now haemorrhaged interest in himself.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 3 Mar - 12:40

https://www.606v2.com/t40787-broner-v-khan:

Interesting to see more people picking Khan now.  When I posted an article on this a while back, Broner seemed to be the consensus pick.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 3 Mar - 12:42

When I mentioned this would be a decent fight our resident American trashmouth tried to tell me it was a non-starter

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 3 Mar - 13:05

Broner wins this for me. After a fast Khan start Broner will start letting his hands go more and I just can't see Khan staying upright.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 3 Mar - 13:08

superflyweight wrote:
http:

Interesting to see more people picking Khan now.  When I posted an article on this a while back, Broner seemed to be the consensus pick.

Broners coming off of a loss now and everyone hates him. Go figure.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 3 Mar - 13:12

Any evidence of Broner's power at 147??

Couldn't make a dent on PM (maybe not the fairest example), but MM has been dropped plenty and never looked in trouble once. Don't think AB has Danny Garcia like power and doesn't throw the sort of angles to catch his sweet spot.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 3 Mar - 13:13

He Hurt Maidana a couple of times.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 3 Mar - 13:14

AlexHuckerby wrote:
superflyweight wrote:
http:

Broners coming off of a loss now and everyone hates him. Go figure.

Or he's performed Poopie against Pm and lost against Maidana and has looked crap against people he doesnt weigh 60 pounds more than.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 3 Mar - 13:15

Smart words from the great man well in advance tho:

manos de piedra wrote:Im still a bit unsure about Broner because to me it seems a lot of his prowess is down to being a gigantic at SFW and LW. Rees actually got to Broner plenty but he couldn’t put a dent in him. You did see the bursts of class from Broner and I did get the feeling he had several gears in reserve. But it would still be interesting to see him in against guys that weren’t as physically outmatched by him. I read that Broner and Rees weighed 150lb each on fight night which if true is an optical illusion if ever I saw one.

Khan for all his weaknesses is still a step up in class and size for Broner so it would be a fight Id definitely like to see. Broner looks to be a beast a LW so Id like to see him in with some of LWW who can match him for size and see if it brings the best of his ability out.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 3 Mar - 13:16

You don't need to be Trinidad to put Khan down you just need to catch him at any time he leaves himself wide open, Broner is plenty capable of that.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 3 Mar - 13:18

AlexHuckerby wrote:He Hurt Maidana a couple of times.

Disagree.

Caught him yes, hurt him no.

MM never looked troubled. And this is a guy dropped three times by Ortiz - i.e. a proper fully fledged LWW/WW.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 3 Mar - 13:20

His legs went to jelly in the twelfth for a few seconds, surely you saw that?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 3 Mar - 13:23

bellchees wrote:You don't need to be Trinidad to put Khan down you just need to catch him at any time he leaves himself wide open, Broner is plenty capable of that.

Something countless opponents have failed to do.

Garcia, a master of timing and accuracy (combined with considerable power) achieved it. Then who? A club-fighter with a lucky swing?

Other than that nobody's ever jelly-legged him properly, just a couple of flash kd's in fights he's gone on to win anyway.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 3 Mar - 13:24

AlexHuckerby wrote:His legs went to jelly in the twelfth for a few seconds, surely you saw that?

Nope, will go back a rewatch now.

Don't remember him ever in serious trouble (would note that a small wobble does not constitute trouble, anyway).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 3 Mar - 13:26

He definitely hurt him in the twelfth and its the reason he spent the whole round backing up after for the first time.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 3 Mar - 13:29

TopHat24/7 wrote:
bellchees wrote:You don't need to be Trinidad to put Khan down you just need to catch him at any time he leaves himself wide open, Broner is plenty capable of that.

Garcia, a master of timing and accuracy (combined with considerable power) achieved it. Then who? A club-fighter with a lucky swing?

Other than that nobody's ever jelly-legged him properly, just a couple of flash kd's in fights he's gone on to win anyway.

Did you not see the Maidana fight? He had Khan in just a little bit of trouble. Broner has the speed to capitalise where others have failed to. He'll plant his feet and give away a few rounds by doing sweet F A like against Rees then catch Khan mid combo.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 3 Mar - 13:30

Just rewatched.

Funny to see Broner trying that Floyd trick of elbow/forearm to the throat/jaw to shove people away. He got away with it also, unsurprisingly, with no more than a warning.

But no, he doesn't look in trouble once. Don't know which 12th round you were watching? If anything, it just asks further questions of Broner's power at 147 as he caught MM flush with a lot of big shots and couldn't trouble him.

Spoiler:

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 3 Mar - 13:30

Broner did also hurt Maidana, pretty sure it was a shot after the bell for the 11th and Maidana hadn't recovered for the 12th.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 3 Mar - 13:32

bellchees wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Did you not see the Maidana fight? He had Khan in just a little bit of trouble. Broner has the speed to capitalise where others have failed to. He'll plant his feet and give away a few rounds by doing sweet F A like against Rees then catch Khan mid combo.

Yes, the guy that just totally flattened Broner did indeed have Khan in a whole world of trouble, but he didn't stop him, or even drop him.

Broner on the other hand could drop or stop MM.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 3 Mar - 13:33

At 22 seconds TopHat the right hand that catches him has him in retreat for the rest of the round the punches are hurting MAidana rather clearly, fair enough if you don't think so.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 3 Mar - 13:37

So he got caught and sensibly backs of (not jelly legged, not wobbled, not dropped, nothing) and that's your evidence of him being in trouble and Broner having power?

As for retreat the rest of the round, certainly not the last 45 seconds where he engages typically head-on.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 3 Mar - 13:49

I'd still lean towards Broner, personally. Slightly different dynamic now than when Superfly posted his article, as at the time Broner was at 135, Khan at 140 and it was at the latter you'd have expected them to meet. But after Rees Broner suddenly jumped all the way up to 147, where Khan is now setting his sights.

But I think we need to be careful not to be too hasty in writing off Broner just yet. Particulaly if he's being matched with a fighter (in Khan) who has an even worse habit of throwing in the odd shocking loss and unconvincing performance.

Broner's problems at the higher weight appear to be that he can't handle the bigger fellas getting in close to him and looking to outmuscle / outwork him on the inside, and that his power, which looked great at 130 / 135, can't upset the better-chinned Welters. But Khan's got virtually no inside game and doesn't like to engage there at all. On top of that, while their chins aren't granite, both Malignaggi and Maidana can hold a shot a hell of a lot better than Khan can (no way, for instance, that Khan is going to stand up to the onslaught from Cotto which Malignaggi did, for instance). I wouldn't feel particularly confident that Khan could brush off Broner's shots and be unconcerned by them, even if Broner's power does tail off at Welterweight.

Broner looked like he was moving in treacle at times against Maidana so Khan's footspeed probably means that he'll be able to step around a lot of his early attacks and score with jabs which Broner won't be able to avoid (even if he does take some of the steam off them with his shoulder roll), but Broner remains a good timer of shots and a good counter-puncher, and I don't think Khan's power can put him away. There's a tendency with Khan to say that he can beat anyone if he doesn't get caught and if he keeps his discipline and focus - but the problem is he never manages to sustain this over the full twelve rounds. Sometimes he gets away with it, sometimes not but in this case I feel that he probably wouldn't be so fortunate.

Broner hasn't looked all that great recently, but Khan's fall from grace since Judah in July 2011 has been even more marked, for me, and I think he might already be past his best. Something tells me that he'd just find a way to lose to Broner after a promising start.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 3 Mar - 13:56

I'd say PM does have a good shout for the 'granite chin' award, actually. Whereas MM in comparison does not, although he can take a dig at least.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Mon 3 Mar - 13:58

Broner:

Can punch. Check.
Weighs above 130. Check.
Technically good. Check.

Yup khan gets knocked out in 8.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 3 Mar - 13:59

Yawwwwwwwwwn, here we go again Rolling Eyes

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Mon 3 Mar - 14:00

You love it really toppie. Love it just as much as a all day breakfast roll.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 3 Mar - 14:11

TopHat24/7 wrote:So he got caught and sensibly backs of (not jelly legged, not wobbled, not dropped, nothing) and that's your evidence of him being in trouble and Broner having power?

As for retreat the rest of the round, certainly not the last 45 seconds where he engages typically head-on.

He had enough power to visibly hurt Maidana and back him up and then MAidana recovered and gave a grand stand finish where both guys threw a lot of leather, it's clear Broner does have a bit of pop in his shots just nowhere near as much as he did down at LW, which is very understandable.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 3 Mar - 15:06

Izzi wrote:You love it really toppie. Love it just as much as a all day breakfast roll.

You can't pull that off. Leave the comedy to those who can.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 3 Mar - 15:09

AlexHuckerby wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:So he got caught and sensibly backs of (not jelly legged, not wobbled, not dropped, nothing) and that's your evidence of him being in trouble and Broner having power?

He had enough power to visibly hurt Maidana and back him up and then MAidana recovered and gave a grand stand finish where both guys threw a lot of leather, it's clear Broner does have a bit of pop in his shots just nowhere near as much as he did down at LW, which is very understandable.

Did you not see how often he caught MM flush? And, seemingly, hard? Yet he could only 'back him up' once and never appeared to ACTUALLY hurt him, never wobbled him and certainly never came close to even dropping him, let alone stop him. Khan's power often gets criticised on here but he had the Argie squealing on the floor and Mr Gutcheckfail had all over the canvas multiple times.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 3 Mar - 15:12

If all this works out maybe we can do away with the governing bodies and ranking systems and just let Floyd decide who fights who.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 3 Mar - 15:27

Rowley wrote:If all this works out maybe we can do away with the governing bodies and ranking systems and just let Floyd decide who fights who.

Worryingly that might work better than the current system.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 3 Mar - 15:51

Not sure why people assume I'm up Broner's backside....

My point with Broner is people on here think he's all hype.........All I've said Is if it was so easy to win three titles at different weights.......

There'd be at least one Brit around doing it...........That's all never been sold on the idea he's Floyd part 2.....

Just think in life not everything is black and white......

On here...You are a hero or coward.........You're very good or crap.........

.........The guy deserves respect........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 3 Mar - 15:59

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not sure why people assume I'm up Broner's backside....

My point with Broner is people on here think he's all hype.........All I've said Is if it was so easy to win three titles at different weights.......

There'd be at least one Brit around doing it..............

And there is/was - Duke McKenzie. AB being very much at his end of the '3 weight world champ' list, rather than the Homicide Hank and Bob Fitz end.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 3 Mar - 16:02

Laugh Cool  ...Point well and truly emphasized.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Mon 3 Mar - 16:05

I still feel largely the same about this fight as I did before in the older thread. Broner will try to counterpunch like Garcia did and is well capable of KOing Khan if he catches him during one of his offensive flurries. Either that, or Khan manages to avoid trouble and racks up points because Broner is seemingly too lazy to use his legs.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 3 Mar - 16:10

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Laugh Cool  ...Point well and truly emphasized.

Yes, well and truly emphasised how not-special the achievement is when put in context.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 3 Mar - 16:17

You mention one fighter in 130 years and it's not a special achievement...

Don't know why you bother Mate.

He'd be very special If he was British...............Unfortunately for Broner us Yanks have a history of excelling.

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Mon 3 Mar - 16:18; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next