The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oh christ, another Floyd thread.

+12
AlexHuckerby
mobilemaster8
kingraf
Rowley
88Chris05
TRUSSMAN66
Boxtthis
catchweight
TopHat24/7
hazharrison
ShahenshahG
superflyweight
16 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Oh christ, another Floyd thread. - Page 3 Empty Oh christ, another Floyd thread.

Post by superflyweight Mon 03 Mar 2014, 12:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

Spoiler:

Decent if unspectacular article about Floyd from the Guardian Sports Network.  Fairly well balanced and covers some of the key points better (and with more perspective) than they tend to be discussed on here.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Oh christ, another Floyd thread. - Page 3 Empty Re: Oh christ, another Floyd thread.

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:15 pm

Top 3 p4p??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Oh christ, another Floyd thread. - Page 3 Empty Re: Oh christ, another Floyd thread.

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:16 pm

Diamond in the rough wrote:Hatton back then was the equivalent of Bradley just now IMO

Hatton was a 50/50 fight on the old 606.................It was a massive fight over here and in America...............Hatton was unbeaten and well respected............Only after he lost like Alvarez...He became a cherry picked, uselesss bum..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:16 pm

catchweight wrote:He could quite easily have fought Cotto before or after Hatton. It wasnt like he could only fight one.

It was the natural fight at welterweight after Cotto had beaten Mosley and Floyd had stopped Hatton. Hatton and Oscar were the two cash cows back then, though. Floyd had lined up an Oscar rematch and there was talk of a Hatton rematch down the line (as well as a Hatton vs Oscar money maker).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:19 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Diamond in the rough wrote:Hatton back then was the equivalent of Bradley just now IMO

Hatton was a 50/50 fight on the old 606.................It was a massive fight over here and in America...............Hatton was unbeaten and well respected............Only after he  lost like Alvarez...He became a cherry picked, uselesss bum..

I agree. It was a huge money spinner. It was a no-brainer for Floyd to take that fight. There was nothing stopping him taking on the more well-regarded* quartet of Williams, Margarito, Mosley and Williams at 147 afterwards, though (all of whom were more difficult opponents than Hatton who'd performed poorly at welterweight in his previous visit (against Collazo)).

* at welterweight

Last edited by hazharrison on Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:20 pm

Anybody remember last year........."Floyd wouldn't dare fight Alvarez......." ..Followed by

"Alvarez is overrated and a stiff!!"

Alvarez was the NUMBER 1 guy at 154..........What a cherry pick that was..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:21 pm

Floyd could've helped himself by not demanding that ridiculous catchweight tho......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:24 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Anybody remember last year........."Floyd wouldn't dare fight Alvarez......." ..Followed by

"Alvarez is  overrated and a stiff!!"

Alvarez was the NUMBER 1 guy at 154..........What a cherry pick that was..

There's no question he was the number two man at 154 (behind Floyd) but he was also ridiculously overhyped. He may yet prove to be special at the weight, who knows? We'll know a little more after this weekend's bout with Angulo but while he he'd earned his rating with the squeaker over Trout, he'd hardly set the world on fire in the ring.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:25 pm

He retired when the division had tough welterweight fights and there were no easy pickings. The definition of "avoiding" in my book. During his welterweight tenure hes missed out on Pacquaio, Cotto, Margarito, Williams and Bradley and instead fought Hatton, a lightweight Marquez, a past it Mosley, Guerrero, Ortiz and Maidana. It really speaks for itself. If people are Mayweather fans and that floats there boat, so be it but no need to kid themselves over how he operates. Its "The Money Team". Not the stuff of absolute legends by some stretch.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:05 pm

You won't find me disagreeing with the fact Mayweather should have fought Cotto after Hatton. It was the natural fight to make, I just don't think the demand to face either Williams or Margarito was ever there.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:30 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:You won't find me disagreeing with the fact Mayweather should have fought Cotto after Hatton. It was the natural fight to make, I just don't think the demand to face either Williams or Margarito was ever there.

There was no demand from the general public, the majority of whom hadn't heard of either.

Mayweather had reached the apex of his career. He'd finally broken through to the mainstream himself and had positively raked in the cash against Oscar and Hatton (who the likes of Cotto, Margarito and Mosley would have chopped off an arm for an opportunity to face in highly winnable fights that would nontheless have attracted career high paydays). Mayweather then made forays into mainstream entertainment -- appearing in both WWE and Dancing With The Stars -- and had probably figured: "Why fight all of these tough guys for peanuts when I can earn far more money without taking any punches at all?"

Robinson tried a similar thing, self-financing an ill-fated career as a dancer before Jim Norris lured him back into the ring.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:37 pm

hazharrison wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:You won't find me disagreeing with the fact Mayweather should have fought Cotto after Hatton. It was the natural fight to make, I just don't think the demand to face either Williams or Margarito was ever there.

There was no demand from the general public, the majority of whom hadn't heard of either.

Mayweather had reached the apex of his career. He'd finally broken through to the mainstream himself and had positively raked in the cash against Oscar and Hatton (who the likes of Cotto, Margarito and Mosley would have chopped off an arm for the opportunity to face in highly winnable fights that would nontheless have attracted career high paydays). Mayweather then made forays into mainstream entertainment -- appearing in both WWE and Dancing With The Stars -- and had probably figured: "Why fight all of these tough guys for peanuts when I can earn far more money without taking any punches at all?"

Robinson tried a similar thing, self-financing an ill-fated career as a dancer before Jim Norris lured him back into the ring.
Yet Maidana gets the chance of a lifetime despite having nothing like the Hispanic backing of other Mayweather opponents and speaking little or no English.

To quote the Spitting Image puppet of the late David Coleman, "Errrr quite remarkable!"

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:39 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Mayweather had reached the apex of his career. He'd finally broken through to the mainstream himself and had positively raked in the cash against Oscar and Hatton (who the likes of Cotto, Margarito and Mosley would have chopped off an arm for the opportunity to face in highly winnable fights that would nontheless have attracted career high paydays). Mayweather then made forays into mainstream entertainment -- appearing in both WWE and Dancing With The Stars -- and had probably figured: "Why fight all of these tough guys for peanuts when I can earn far more money without taking any punches at all?"

Yet Maidana gets the chance of a lifetime despite having nothing like the Hispanic backing of other Mayweather opponents and speaking little or no English.

To quote the Spitting Image puppet of the late David Coleman, "Errrr quite remarkable!"

Maidana's "easy work" as Floyd himself likes to say. The aforementioned quartet were quite the opposite.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:42 pm

Funnily enough, Ellerbe mentioned Trinidad as a more viable opponent than Cotto in 2008, around the time "Tito" was labouring with Jones Jr (after looking woeful against Wright).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:44 pm

hazharrison wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Maidana's "easy work" as Floyd himself likes to say. The aforementioned quartet were quite the opposite.
Excuse me but I think you'll find that Maidana poses the biggest threat to Floyd's reign since er...the last time someone else posed the biggest threat to Floyd's reign.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:45 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Excuse me but I think you'll find that Maidana poses the biggest threat to Floyd's reign since er...the last time someone else posed the biggest threat to Floyd's reign.

I read that in the voice of the voiceover guy from Showtime's All Access.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:56 pm

Maidana does pose the biggest threat to floyd out there. He's the only guy fighting him in the next 6 months. Though even allowing for that, its marginal.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:59 pm

milkyboy wrote:Maidana does pose the biggest threat to floyd out there. He's the only guy fighting him in the next 6 months. Though even allowing for that, its marginal.
There's more chance of Floyd developing Alzheimer's than there is of him facing someone decent

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:18 pm

Maidana isn't decent.......... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:53 pm

He's little more than a heavy handed plodder. Tough and durable but "tough and durable" does not a conqueror of Mayweather make and surely we're asking more of the self proclaimed greatest fighter who ever lived to face more than just that aren't we?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:56 pm

"Facing someone decent" ..Don't try to weasel your way out ...Sunny.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Mar 2014, 3:14 pm

It's "Sonny" not "Sunny" (unless you're referring to my disposition) and Maidana is not a decent test for a fighter of Mayweather's calibre, but again, I don't expect you to have my undoubtedly high levels of objectivity when discussing your "boy"

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 3:18 pm

You shouldn't try to smokescreen...

You're hopeless at it !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Mar 2014, 3:21 pm

You should just shut up, you boring git!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 3:50 pm

DAVE667 wrote:You should just shut up, you boring git!

You're right debating you is getting boring.........Maybe look for some Boxing debate me thinks..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 04 Mar 2014, 3:51 pm

Stop ruining my original and distinctive thread.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Mar 2014, 3:53 pm

I look forward to the next thrilling installment of "TRUSSMAN accuses someone else of smokescreening"

Perhaps you could write a Top Ten Smokescreeners article...then write it again in three weeks time...and again in six months times...after the smoke has cleared obviously.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 04 Mar 2014, 3:53 pm

superflyweight wrote:Stop ruining my original and distinctive thread.  

....said Joseph as the two mice ran across the pile of yarn he was using to weave his technicolour dream coat.....

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 4:00 pm

DAVE667 wrote:I look forward to the next thrilling installment of "TRUSSMAN accuses someone else of smokescreening"

Perhaps you could write a Top Ten Smokescreeners article...then write it again in three weeks time...and again in six months times...after the smoke has cleared obviously.

You can't leave it can you boy.................That Inferiority complex of yours in unnecessary.....

I like you........Learn to like yourself !! Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Mar 2014, 4:07 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:I look forward to the next thrilling installment of "TRUSSMAN accuses someone else of smokescreening"

You can't leave it can you boy.................That Inferiority complex of yours in unnecessary.....

Impossible to have an inferiority complex when dealing with you lad...even Steffan would struggle to feel second to you. Like we've said before, you should stop trying to take out your anger at your marital failings on the rest of the board. Some of us aren't interested and the others have already slept with your wife and can't see what the fuss is about.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Mar 2014, 4:09 pm

hazharrison wrote:

....said Joseph as the two mice ran across the pile of yarn he was using to weave his technicolour dream coat.....
Joseph didn't make his coat, his dad bought it for him much to the chagrin of his brothers...and the rest is, well, basically made up fairytale type nonsense (mind you, to be fair, so is the first bit)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 04 Mar 2014, 4:27 pm

You have whored yourself in a fashion not seen on here since my Lennox Lewis thread. Take it from me as someone who knows, the warm feeling from getting over a 100 responses fades far quicker than the self loathing you will inevitably feel.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 4:30 pm

You got 9 pages and 450 replies though, Super's got nothing on that (yet....)

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 04 Mar 2014, 4:33 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Impossible to have an inferiority complex when dealing with you lad...even Steffan would struggle to feel second to you. Like we've said before, you should stop trying to take out your anger at your marital failings on the rest of the board. Some of us aren't interested and the others have already slept with your wife and can't see what the fuss is about.

That's harsh Dave. What she lacked in talent she made up for in enthusiasm.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 04 Mar 2014, 4:34 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:You got 9 pages and 450 replies though, Super's got nothing on that (yet....)

But as my last post shows... Look at the quality, this thread is getting

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 04 Mar 2014, 4:35 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:You got 9 pages and 450 replies though, Super's got nothing on that (yet....)

350 of them were Gordy, not sure they really count.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Mar 2014, 4:38 pm

milkyboy wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

That's harsh Dave. What she lacked in talent she made up for in enthusiasm.
You saw enthusiasm, I saw a Glenn-Close-in-Basic-Instinct level of instability

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 4:38 pm

Glenn close in Basic Instinct ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 04 Mar 2014, 4:42 pm

That would be Fatal Attraction Dave.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 04 Mar 2014, 4:43 pm

Rowley wrote:That would be Fatal Attraction Dave.

For whom?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 4:44 pm

In fairness Glenn close would have been better in Basic instinct and Stone in Fatal Attraction...

Rather see Stone getting it in an elevator..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Mar 2014, 4:54 pm

Rowley wrote:That would be Fatal Attraction Dave.
Thank You...however, you get the idea of the psychotically obsessed woman which is what I'd hope you'd be taking from this as opposed to my inability to recall which woman was in which particularly over-hyped thriller

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 04 Mar 2014, 4:55 pm

Not sure the leg crossing scene works with glen close.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Mar 2014, 4:56 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:In fairness Glenn close would have been better in Basic instinct and Stone in Fatal Attraction...

Rather see Stone getting it in an elevator..
And you'd prefer seeing Glenn Close exposing her labia to Michael Douglas?

You are a very strange little man

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 5:00 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:In fairness Glenn close would have been better in Basic instinct and Stone in Fatal Attraction...

And you'd prefer seeing Glenn Close exposing her labia to Michael Douglas?

Why not you did ....... Laugh  thumbsup 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Mar 2014, 5:07 pm

Nope, Close was simply the obvious choice when selecting a very unhinged character to emphasize the depths of your own wife's obsession with me. You, on the other hand, have public stated that given the option you would happily watch 67 year Glenn Close arthritically expose her wrinkled, flaccid labia to 563 year old Michael Douglas

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 5:09 pm

But I draw the line at 68......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Mar 2014, 5:35 pm

Gotta have some standards mate...had my wife drunk her 9th pint on our first date, I'd have kicked her into touch but she stuck to eight and still maintained an air of quiet sophistication...even when headbutting a Police Van

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 04 Mar 2014, 5:40 pm

She told me you were an 8 Pinter Dave... She was happy to do me sober.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Mar 2014, 5:44 pm

No, she was simply less UNhappy about it...probably.

I've known women who needed at least eight pints before they even look in my direction...I say "knew" I mean "killed and disposed of"

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 04 Mar 2014, 6:49 pm

Thanks to everyone for bringing my distinctive and original thread back on track.  

P.S.  Jeff, I'm not a wh*re.
P.P.S who wins a fight between Floyd and Manny in 2010?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next