The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does the Club or Province you play for effect your chances of a Test Cap?

+3
Thomond
nganboy
emack2
7 posters

Go down

Does the Club or Province you play for effect your chances of a  Test Cap? Empty Does the Club or Province you play for effect your chances of a Test Cap?

Post by emack2 Sat 21 May 2011, 7:24 am

Over the years many Players have lost out by not playing for the right province or club,is it still happening?If you played for Crusaders or Bulls in recent years you had a better than average chance of a test cap.BUT a few years back,if you played for say Ashburton county,Bush,or Hawkes bay[after 1920`s and excepting the Era under Kel Tremain].you had a far less chance than being picked than one from mainstream provinces in NZ.Today Ireland pick from the 4 Provinces,Wales from there groups,ScotlandI have no idea used to be Glasgow,Edinborugh,and the Borders.England if you play for Wasps,Leicester,Bath or Northampton,then you have better chances than.Say Leeds.Worcester,Exeter ,France I admit I have no idea.This is my first ever thread anywhere please indulge me by sensible debate.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Does the Club or Province you play for effect your chances of a  Test Cap? Empty Re: Does the Club or Province you play for effect your chances of a Test Cap?

Post by nganboy Sat 21 May 2011, 7:46 am

Well if you play for Horowhenua it is a little hard to get to be an All Black. Something about being 3rd division. Mind you that's where Christian Cullen and Carlos Spenser started from.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Does the Club or Province you play for effect your chances of a  Test Cap? Empty Re: Does the Club or Province you play for effect your chances of a Test Cap?

Post by emack2 Sat 21 May 2011, 8:47 am

I was thinking off NZ mostly,for example I saw a young five -eighth called Guy Bowers on the 1953-4,he was good maybe picked up an injury but was never heard of again.Apparently he was playing well into the mid 1960s,was a NZ trialist but was with an unfashionable club.Was in the frame for the 1963-4 but dropped out.In 1959-64 the All Blacks had a lot of good first fives who only had a few matches including Adrian Clarke[no relative to Don]NeilWolfe,Earl Kirton,Mac Herewini,Bruce Watt,the ill fated Nicky Allen.Two players from the un fashionable Marl borough were capped Alan Sutherland a very good lock,,and P.H.Clarke[brother of Adrian] he was a rare mistake of the trial system.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 21 May 2011, 6:52 pm

Ireland don't really pick from the 4 provinces.Cronin is the only Connacht player who regularly gets in the squad.He is going to Leinster next year too.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Sat 21 May 2011, 8:29 pm

I think the reason that more international players come from top clubs is two-fold. Firstly a better team has a higher number of good players. Secondly people are more likely to notice a good performance in a top club because they are more in the limelight. Of course there is also the possibility of arguing that a player from a weaker club doesn't face the same quality of opponents and is thus hasn't been tested at as high a level.

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Sun 22 May 2011, 1:02 am

I think Cullen (Manawatu) or quite possibly Norm Berryman (Northland) were the last AB's to be plucked out of Second Division - bearing in mind though that they had been playing Super 12

Marty Berry from 1993? He definitely wasn't playing First Div

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. scotland27 Sun 22 May 2011, 1:07 am

I remember a few years ago (2001..I think) watching a baa baa's england match and a couple of the pleyers playing played for orrel...
MR. scotland27
MR. scotland27

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 22 May 2011, 5:00 am

Yes.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down