The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+25
lorus59
BlueCoverman
puligny
Plunky
Diggers
mystiroakey
super_realist
MontysMerkin
navyblueshorts
Roller_Coaster
pedro
McLaren
incontinentia
westisbest
Davie
beninho
kwinigolfer
GunsGerms
Bob_the_Job
1GrumpyGolfer
raycastleunited
SmithersJones
golfermartin
JAS
barragan
29 posters

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 6 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

Rugby players are too fat to catch us Davie.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by pedro Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:48 am

What some of you maybe be confused by is that the likes of Woody Allen and Tarantino also write the manuscript to the films they direct. So when people say they like to see Allen or Tarantino movies it's not beacuse they direct it (I beleive) but becuase they also write it.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:02 am

Not a film buff in any way shape or form but what I do tend to steer clear of is any film advertised on the basis that it's "from the team that brought you..." or "directed by oscar winner..." and "from the producers of". Statements of that ilk tend to read "this film's a bit sh1te" to me, particularly when the "producers" line is rolled out.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:18 am

Roller_Coaster wrote:Not a film buff in any way shape or form but what I do tend to steer clear of is any film advertised on the basis that it's "from the team that brought you..." or "directed by oscar winner..." and "from the producers of". Statements of that ilk tend to read "this film's a bit sh1te" to me, particularly when the "producers" line is rolled out.
Spot on there I reckon.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:26 am

Roller_Coaster wrote:Not a film buff in any way shape or form but what I do tend to steer clear of is any film advertised on the basis that it's "from the team that brought you..." or "directed by oscar winner..." and "from the producers of". Statements of that ilk tend to read "this film's a bit sh1te" to me, particularly when the "producers" line is rolled out.
All said by that low gravelly voice over guy. "it was a time of war etc etc"
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:27 am

MontysMerkin wrote:
All said by that low gravelly voice over guy. "it was a time of war etc etc"

"one man"

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:16 am

Tarrantino is a bit meeeh since Pulp fiction IMO.. All these weird drive death films has turned him into a joke.

But I will stay clear of any Woody Allen film(just dont get him!!) and will watch every Nolan and PTA film(from the modern era) as neither has disappointed as yet

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:19 am

exactly the producers have zero decent influence on the film and can only ruin the directors or writers vision by editing it at the end. The production firm means nothing- its just who stumped up the money on the whole,

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:24 am

PTA?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:25 am

Paul Thomas Anderson.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:27 am

means nothing to me I'm afraid

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:30 am

It wouldn't, he is just a director that has a very significant style..

Possibly way to 'pretentious' for your tastes.

But he directed the master, There will be blood, boogie nights, punch drunk love, magnolia..

TBH they are weird films. But I love them

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:11 pm

incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:02 pm

Wow, nothing like a complete load of bollox headline!
"Aborted babies incinerated to heat UK hospitals" http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10717566/Aborted-babies-incinerated-to-heat-UK-hospitals.html
That 'newspaper' (read right wing chuff dispenser) is unbelievable.
Hope the yanks get to hear about it so they can put it together with the NHS death panels.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:12 pm

Who is going to win the US Masters? Any tips?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:15 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:Wow, nothing like a complete load of bollox headline!
"Aborted babies incinerated to heat UK hospitals" http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10717566/Aborted-babies-incinerated-to-heat-UK-hospitals.html
Hope the yanks get to hear about it so they can put it together with the NHS death panels.
Wow, and read the comments. Is it me or are merkins insane? I mean literally Frak loopy?
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:48 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Who is going to win the US Masters? Any tips?
Brandt Snedeker, or one of the South Africans. Leprechaun 
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:03 pm

Cheers.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:39 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:Wow, nothing like a complete load of bollox headline!

Waste not want not.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:40 pm

At least its reducing our dependence on fossil fuels.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:48 am

incontinentia wrote:At least its reducing our dependence on fossil fuels.

I wouldn't advocate reducing that Inco  thumbsup 

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:59 am

I see the teachers are moaning again. It's alright for them to halt education for a strike, but woe betide you if you take your kids off for a day to go on holiday.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:02 am

Quite right too. Changing contracts seems to only work one way. If you sign up to a deal both parties should stick to it.
You wouldn't catch me trying to teach 40 16 year olds in a rundown school with not enough text books.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:04 am

Wouldn't be a teacher for all the tea in China.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:33 am

Striking is democracy in action. What's not to like super?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:35 am

Nor I and that's why I have every sympathy for them. My sister's a teacher in west Yorkshire, class size of 43, at school for 7am, often not getting home before 7pm, and then has to work till 10ish most nights. And at the weekend. People who think it's an easy ride often don't know the full story...
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:37 am

Democracy is an illusion  Shocked 
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:41 am

McLaren wrote:Striking is democracy in action.  What's not to like super?

Striking should be buried with Bob Crow

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:56 am

Any bright ideas how else workers protect their rights?
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:58 am

MontysMerkin wrote:Any bright ideas how else workers protect their rights?

I've seldom seen striking being a worthwhile exercise.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:13 am

Agreed. But what alternative? Just keep getting your contract changed to suit one party?
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:19 am

MontysMerkin wrote:Agreed. But what alternative? Just keep getting your contract changed to suit one party?

I'm not sure, I'm not in a union, I no longer work in the public sector, but simply because you might have the option to strike, doesn't mean it's a responsible or effective action.

They may well have tried other means, but I've never seen striking to anything other than harm industries and professions long term.

Teachers, by and large get crap money, I agree, and it isn't cricket to mess around with contracts too much, and I don't have an answer, but simply because striking is an option, I don't see it as a good one to take.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:33 am

Agreed, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any alternative. If someone came to you and asked you to do the same or more, for less, about the only power you have is to withdraw your labour. I would hate to strike as I agree with your points about them being ineffective. I'm going through the same at the moment, I'll find out if I still have a job on Monday morning. And if I do get to keep my job, I have to take a downbanding (so there's 8 years of my life down the swanny). If I were to strike on my own about this, they would dismiss me for breach of contract (even though they are breaching the terms of my contract) but if everyone in the organisation walked out in support it would certainly have an effect (not that it would ever happen, but theoretically)
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:43 am

If it's ineffective, I'm not sure I see it as an option or alternative. There's a dilemma, because it feels like the only option, but an option which has a history of not working.

I understand why they feel the need to

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:14 pm

Workers dont need rights.

No look seriously - cant stand the striking mentality.. 

I can kind of understand it in the public sector but not when things have gone private. There have been cases where the strikers have just ended up losing there jobs(the company going bust) strikers and even the non strikers going on benefits and then an over seas firm gets the work instead..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:25 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Workers dont need rights.

Why?
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:31 pm

"Workers dont need rights.

No look seriously"

if you read the next sentence you might have understood it was tongue in cheek

However workers do have rights. The problems come from unions demanding things without understanding the financials of a business/industry.

This country has more health and safety and 'rights' for workers than any other , workers individually have almost infinite rights..

If there is a real case for strike action then its all well and good- but i would like independent auditors first seeing if the workers are being under paid based on the industry or over worked.

I hate the worker mentality. That is why I only employ two people these days and sub contract the rest out.. Some people dont realise how easy they have it. We are becoming a 'take' society.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:42 pm

There is certainly a "take" element Oakey that seems worse to be these days, I think lots of graduates simply expect to go straight to earning 40k+ without even having any experience.

Many don't seem to realise that every tom, d!ck and harry has a degree these days and that if you are lucky enough to get a job, you actually have to gain experience before you get paid "properly". No job should be beneath them.

I don't envy nurses, teachers etc their jobs, especially when small changes in their salaries make big differences to their lifestyle. Regardless of a vocational call, I wouldn't do a job that had their pay and conditions.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:48 pm

Yes i agree with certain public sector workers- especially nurses deserve more.

Not sure about the teachers though. They have a pretty decent amount of time off and get paid ok.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:49 pm

mystiroakey wrote:"Workers dont need rights.

No look seriously"

if you read the next sentence you might have understood it was tongue in cheek

However workers do have rights. The problems come from unions demanding things without understanding the financials of a business/industry.

This country has more health and safety and 'rights' for workers than any other , workers individually have almost infinite rights..

If there is a real case for strike action then its all well and good- but i would like independent auditors first seeing if the workers are being under paid based on the industry or over worked.

I hate the worker mentality. That is why I only employ two people these days and sub contract the rest out.. Some people dont realise how easy they have it. We are becoming a 'take' society.

Ahh sorry the cheek with a tongue in it went over me nut.
So you think that by keeping people on 'zero contract' type of situation is not a take? What about those workers families? They are being held to ransom by people with your attitude. By not employing people long term you are part of the problem - that people don't matter and that cash is king. If you treated people right in the first place you may find that you would have a motivated and loyal work force, with the added bonus that you know that you are helping them and their families with job security (which shouldn't be underestimated).

Sounds to me that maybe you're the one who doesn't realise how easy you have it.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:52 pm

It isn't the employers responsibility to care for an employees family.

It is the employees responsibility to take care of their family if they choose to have one.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:52 pm

Afternoon boys. Interesting one for me this as I'm having a complete career change and starting a PGCE in September. A lot less money than I currently earn in return for a lot more work, I must be mad.
Re this strike, personally I don't this this one is called for, the NUT are fairly unspecific as to why they are doing it, its a protest but they aren't putting forward much in the way of alternatives.
I'm not against strike action in general though, just that it's used effectively and as a last resort.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:53 pm

Nurses off course are within a system(NHS) that loses so much money through miss management and just blatent fraud.

My company has worked at 3 major  hospital, reading,mayday, wiltshire . We saved them thousands and thousands of pounds. But then bang we lose out to a firm next year that charges them thousands more due to a change in the facilities management that have probably backhanded themselves in.

Just my company doing work for them instead on certain projects could pay for an extra nurse per hospital.

Last edited by mystiroakey on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:54 pm

Diggers wrote:Afternoon boys. Interesting one for me this as I'm having a complete career change and starting a PGCE in September. A lot less money than I currently earn in return for a lot more work, I must be mad.
Re this strike, personally I don't this this one is called for, the NUT are fairly unspecific as to why they are doing it, its a protest but they aren't putting forward much in the way of alternatives.
I'm not against strike action in general though, just that it's used effectively and as a last resort.

Where you been!!!!

Good on you for your career change mate- I know you were talking about it before you went missing!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:55 pm

Diggers wrote:Afternoon boys. Interesting one for me this as I'm having a complete career change and starting a PGCE in September. A lot less money than I currently earn in return for a lot more work, I must be mad.

Welcome back Digs, we've missed you.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:57 pm

But if the employee can have their contracts changed at the whim of their employer, the employee has no job security and this has a very damaging effect on family life. So indirectly, if an employer wants a happy and motivated workforce (which in turn can lead increased productivity and efficiency) they should really be looking out for their employees total well being. Of which a major part will be their families.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:58 pm

Cheers guys, been very busy with exams and interviews and starting the process of winding up my business. Was hoping but not expecting to get on a course this year, could only realistically try for Brighton as that's where we live, so very pleased its happened but all very quick.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:00 pm

Well done diggs I hope you enjoy it as much as my sister does (in spite of the 12+ hour days and little monsters)
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:01 pm

It's a path of regression I wouldn't particularly want to go down.

A contract, is subject to law and can given the right circumstances can be changed.

For example, mine recently got changed from a 1 month notice period to 3.

I would doubt teachers contracts have been changed on a "whim". I'm sure there has been plenty legal wrangling.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:07 pm

No doubt, but what do they do if they want to change the contract in their favour as opposed to the other way round? It always goes one way. All those public sector type jobs are the same - the people of the country should see that it is in everyones interest to have inspiring and motivated people working on their behalf. Not trying to shaft them every 2 minutes so some bankers (or whoever, mostly daves mates) can get away with that extra chanel handbag.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:07 pm

Super, I don't think there is any doubt that Mr Gove seems to take a lot of pleasure out of antagonising teachers. I really don't understand his thought process, he is clearly a very bright guy, all be it one with no background in Education. But he seems utterly disinterested in the views of the educators themselves when it comes to state schools.
I think he is quite happy to have a bit of confrontation, the reforms to teachers contracts are massive, unprecedented changes really. I don't think they have been done on a whim...but that doesn't make them right.
For instance performance related pay, that actually should suit me in terms of moving up the pay scales, but you can see how it is going to cause huge problems as well. Its virtually impossible to administer fairly considering all of the variables that are in play.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next