The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+25
lorus59
BlueCoverman
puligny
Plunky
Diggers
mystiroakey
super_realist
MontysMerkin
navyblueshorts
Roller_Coaster
pedro
McLaren
incontinentia
westisbest
Davie
beninho
kwinigolfer
GunsGerms
Bob_the_Job
1GrumpyGolfer
raycastleunited
SmithersJones
golfermartin
JAS
barragan
29 posters

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 7 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Tue 25 Feb 2014, 3:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

Rugby players are too fat to catch us Davie.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by mystiroakey Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:10 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:"Workers dont need rights.

No look seriously"

if you read the next sentence you might have understood it was tongue in cheek

However workers do have rights. The problems come from unions demanding things without understanding the financials of a business/industry.

This country has more health and safety and 'rights' for workers than any other , workers individually have almost infinite rights..

If there is a real case for strike action then its all well and good- but i would like independent auditors first seeing if the workers are being under paid based on the industry or over worked.

I hate the worker mentality. That is why I only employ two people these days and sub contract the rest out.. Some people dont realise how easy they have it. We are becoming a 'take' society.

Ahh sorry the cheek with a tongue in it went over me nut.
So you think that by keeping people on 'zero contract' type of situation is not a take? What about those workers families? They are being held to ransom by people with your attitude. By not employing people long term you are part of the problem - that people don't matter and that cash is king. If you treated people right in the first place you may find that you would have a motivated and loyal work force, with the added bonus that you know that you are helping them and their families with job security (which shouldn't be underestimated).

Sounds to me that maybe you're the one who doesn't realise how easy you have it.
ermm you dont understand the situation i am in - or my industry is in.

I cant afford to employ people to do some of the work I do. Its that simple. I could spend hours and hours explaining but it would just become boring. But the reality is I had to make certain people self employed - not because of there loyalty- but because it was impossible to grantee them work when for one instance(i spend a week organising a huge job and then its pulled last minute). 

I am not part of a huge company- I own a small one. The red tape kills you. I have to take on youngsters - train them up and then let them go to a bigger firm if they need job security. When i had a few relatively big contracts that were on going I could employ them on a salary.

If they all decided to pull the cord and not work for me (which they didnt) I could have gone bust. They all understood the situation because we allways have had a good relationship. Anyway enough about me. But it seems to me that you are sitting there on the side lines judging others. Yes I have had apprentices that took the p!ss- but I get rid fast. They dont get a second chance and those are the type of 'takers' i am talking about.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:10 pm

Diggers wrote:Super, I don't think there is any doubt that Mr Gove seems to take a lot of pleasure out of antagonising teachers. I really don't understand his thought process, he is clearly a very bright guy, all be it one with no background in Education. But he seems utterly disinterested in the views of the educators themselves when it comes to state schools.
I think he is quite happy to have a bit of confrontation, the reforms to teachers contracts are massive, unprecedented changes really. I don't think they have been done on a whim...but that doesn't make them right.
For instance performance related pay, that actually should suit me in terms of moving up the pay scales, but you can see how it is going to cause huge problems as well. Its virtually impossible to administer fairly considering all of the variables that are in play.

Has he got a background in anything relating to real life? I don't call fagging for dave a decent background!
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:10 pm

Diggers wrote:Super, I don't think there is any doubt that Mr Gove seems to take a lot of pleasure out of antagonising teachers. I really don't understand his thought process, he is clearly a very bright guy, all be it one with no background in Education. But he seems utterly disinterested in the views of the educators themselves when it comes to state schools.
I think he is quite happy to have a bit of confrontation, the reforms to teachers contracts are massive, unprecedented changes really. I don't think they have been done on a whim...but that doesn't make them right.
For instance performance related pay, that actually should suit me in terms of moving up the pay scales, but you can see how it is going to cause huge problems as well. Its virtually impossible to administer fairly considering all of the variables that are in play.

I don't know enough about it Digs, I'm not really denegrating the teachers or their ability to do the job, just the merit of striking and their reasons for thinking it's a good idea.

What are you going to be teaching Digs?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:15 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:

No look seriously"

However workers do have rights. The problems come from unions demanding things without understanding the financials of a business/industry.

This country has more health and safety and 'rights' for workers than any other , workers individually have almost infinite rights..

If there is a real case for strike action then its all well and good- but i would like independent auditors first seeing if the workers are being under paid based on the industry or over worked.

I hate the worker mentality. That is why I only employ two people these days and sub contract the rest out.. Some people dont realise how easy they have it. We are becoming a 'take' society.

So you think that by keeping people on 'zero contract' type of situation is not a take? What about those workers families? They are being held to ransom by people with your attitude. By not employing people long term you are part of the problem - that people don't matter and that cash is king. If you treated people right in the first place you may find that you would have a motivated and loyal work force, with the added bonus that you know that you are helping them and their families with job security (which shouldn't be underestimated).

Sounds to me that maybe you're the one who doesn't realise how easy you have it.

I cant afford to employ people to do some of the work I do. Its that simple. I could spend hours and hours explaining but it would just become boring. But the reality is I had to make certain people self employed - not because of there loyalty- but because it was impossible to grantee them work when for one instance(i spend a week organising a huge job and then its pulled last minute). 

I am not part of a huge company- I own a small one. The red tape kills you. I have to take on youngsters - train them up and then let them go to a bigger firm if they need job security. When i had a few relatively big contracts that were on going I could employ them on a salary.

If they all decided to pull the cord and not work for me (which they didnt) I could have gone bust. They all understood the situation because we allways have had a good relationship. Anyway enough about me. But it seems to me that you are sitting there on the side lines judging others. Yes I have had apprentices that took the p!ss- but I get rid fast. They dont get a second chance and those are the type of 'takers' i am talking about.

It was a sneaky bit of wummery mysti, sorry.
I completely understand where you are coming from, have worked for and been part of small businesses most of my working life. Things are tough but then the rewards can be great and that is why you do it. I'm not judging you about it (even tho I was on a bit of a wind up) but you can see the problems that these sort of situations cause. Great that your employees could see the long term benefit, you must be well chuffed with that.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:15 pm

I'll be looking to get a job in Sussex Super, either east or west, we are settled down there so no plans to move and there are a lot of primary schools so plenty of options hopefully.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:17 pm

Diggers wrote:I'll be looking to get a job in Sussex Super, either east or west, we are settled down there so no plans to move and there are a lot of primary schools so plenty of options hopefully.

Good for you Digs, the lack of a serious commute will be massive for you eh?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:20 pm

Yeah I won't miss the journey, though apparently a PGCE is massively intensive so could be a tough year.
How's things with you, you must be ecstatic about the state of Nine Chins health ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:21 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:

No look seriously"

I completely understand where you are coming from, have worked for and been part of small businesses most of my working life. Things are tough but then the rewards can be great and that is why you do it. I'm not judging you about it (even tho I was on a bit of a wind up) but you can see the problems that these sort of situations cause. Great that your employees could see the long term benefit, you must be well chuffed with that.

Well a few of them ended up earning a lot more than they did before they were on a salary.. the slackers earnt less. 

I remember once interviewing for a sales position. I was only willing to pay 16k basic but 7% commission. industry standard is probably 20k with a 1% commission. Even though they came in giving it all the the yeah I can pull in 400k a year etc etc. Many didnt take the work and stuck with the slightly higher basic. The lot of them are born liers. They would have been earning 40k over there 25k working for me if what they said they could do was the reality.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:25 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:

Has he got a background in anything relating to real life? I don't call fagging for dave a decent background!

Think he is one of the few non public shoolers isn't he Monty, bet he still rims Dave though, they are both former media men.
I saw Gove's wife making a big deal out of the fact their kids are going to a state school, then it turns out that its possibly the most exclusive state school in the UK and virtually impossible to get into, not exactly a comp in Croydon.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:29 pm

Diggers wrote:Yeah I won't miss the journey, though apparently a PGCE is massively intensive so could be a tough year.
How's things with you, you must be ecstatic about the state of Nine Chins health ?

Delighted Diggers, hoping he pulls out or misses The Masters. Coverage is always more pleasurable when he isn't involved.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:30 pm

Diggers wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:

Think he is one of the few non public shoolers isn't he Monty, bet he still rims Dave though, they are both former media men.
I saw Gove's wife making a big deal out of the fact their kids are going to a state school, then it turns out that its possibly the most exclusive state school in the UK and virtually impossible to get into, not exactly a comp in Croydon.

I went to a school in croydon(it was private) cough cough.

But trust me croydon have exceptional schools compared to south London. I work on plenty- Harris academy's are doing well. Most if not all get really well funded- Get into Lewisham and it turns ugly. The buildings are falling down- little funding. No one cares.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:31 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:

No look seriously"

Well a few of them ended up earning a lot more than they did before they were on a salary.. the slackers earnt less. 

I remember once interviewing for a sales position. I was only willing to pay 16k basic but 7% commission. industry standard is probably 20k with a 1% commission. Even though they came in giving it all the the yeah I can pull in 400k a year etc etc. Many didnt take the work and stuck with the slightly higher basic. The lot of them are born liers. They would have been earning 40k over there 25k working for me if what they said they could do was the reality.

So I think we can all agree that the weak link in all these chains are people. Hang the lot of em I say!
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:33 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:

No look seriously"

So I think we can all agree that the weak link in all these chains are people. Hang the lot of em I say!

well yes- we are the weak link. lets all make a pact to stop reproducing.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:39 pm

Well, Oakey, there are certainly a lot of people who shouldn't be reproducing.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:40 pm

Just read that Gove went out on strike for months when working as a reporter in Aberdeen!
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:43 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:Just read that Gove went out on strike for months when working as a reporter in Aberdeen!

I had no idea he was a sweaty.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:46 pm

Well reading about him just now, it would seem he's a right tw@t, who's made loads of mistakes and has ignored all the advice he asked for (and the taxpayer paid for)! Boris Johnson thinks he's great so he must be a dick.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:48 pm

super_realist wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:Just read that Gove went out on strike for months when working as a reporter in Aberdeen!

I had no idea he was a sweaty.
Born in Edinburgh and adopted by some labour supporting folk from Aberdeen. Starting to see some reasons for his psychological make up....
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:49 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:Well reading about him just now, it would seem he's a right tw@t, who's made loads of mistakes and has ignored all the advice he asked for (and the taxpayer paid for)! Boris Johnson thinks he's great so he must be a dick.

Must be a sweaty then.....actually doesn't sound like one but neither does Monty. Posh jocks are all in denial.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:55 pm

how dare you. It's braw bricht moonlight nicht and so on and so forth.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:56 pm

Imagine going on strike as a reporter. Jesus I didn't expect that industry to strike!!

Poor unprivileged reporters.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 26 Mar 2014, 2:00 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Imagine going on strike as a reporter. Jesus I didn't expect that industry to strike!!

Poor unprivileged reporters.

I used to manage the IT for a company who were a charity for ex media people. Actually had a nursing coast on the south coast specifically for people from the industry, always struck me as being a bit bizarre really. Like having a retirement home solely full of say former dentists or pole dancers.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 26 Mar 2014, 2:04 pm

Dear Gawd lol.

A charity for them..

The worlds gone mad..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 26 Mar 2014, 3:00 pm

Diggers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you think this was the pole-dancing thread??????????????

Good to hear from you . . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 26 Mar 2014, 8:24 pm

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/03/26/dear-leader-kim-jong-un-cut-all-the-rage-after-north-korea-outlaws-every-other-hairstyle-for-men/

Laugh Laugh Laugh 
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 26 Mar 2014, 9:15 pm

incontinentia wrote:http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/03/26/dear-leader-kim-jong-un-cut-all-the-rage-after-north-korea-outlaws-every-other-hairstyle-for-men/

Laugh Laugh Laugh   
Shaven, not stirred.... Charley Hoffmann and Rickie Fowler are you listening?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 26 Mar 2014, 9:21 pm

Jozy Altidore is the worst "footballer" in the Premier League.
Discuss.

Overweight, lazy, doesn't score, centre-forward.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 26 Mar 2014, 9:37 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Jozy Altidore is the worst "footballer" in the Premier League.
Discuss.

Overweight, lazy, doesn't score, centre-forward.
For sure Liverpool don't need to sign him anytime soon...
Watching the game kwini?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 26 Mar 2014, 10:07 pm

Watch as many as I can, Liverpool lost the focus and could easily have lost two points. Altidore is awful.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 27 Mar 2014, 1:56 am

Anyone seeing any signs of spring?
Our snow banks are still mid-winter deep, sitting on top of a thick pre-Christmas ice-pack and we're forecast to enter April without having recorded a temp above 48F since early December.
Dread to think what our greens will be like under the ice.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:14 am

I think we're going to start to warm up soon Kwini. Still got some snow and ice out on the course and we're slated to open on April 14.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu 27 Mar 2014, 8:30 am

Not a single flake of snow has landed (and not immediately melted) on our course this winter. Closed for one day due to the greens flooding, otherwise it's played fine.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 27 Mar 2014, 9:01 am

steam Pleasant temperaturess occasionally throughout, very wet, very few course closures. jet stream wiggling above (nice) and below (blurgh) UK recently. Simply can't tell if any seasonal corners have been turned definitively.

Still - seems to be nice Mon am to Friday pm then minging Saturday morning when it's game time. Back to normal then

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu 27 Mar 2014, 9:09 am

Daffs are out, magnolia is budding, temps starting to hit double figures. Whats not to like?
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 27 Mar 2014, 9:26 am

Good God! Diggers is alive!

Good to see you here again and good luck with the teaching gig. Hope the red tape etc doesn't grind you down.

Just out of interest, what subject(s) will you be specialising in? Primary or secondary schools?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 27 Mar 2014, 9:59 am

Hi Navy, going to be teaching Primary to 7-11 year olds, that's the plan anyway, so teaching everything really. Lots of new emphasis on coding as the bulk of the Computing curriculum however so that will be a specialist area for me. Not sure I agree with the concept though, as far as I can see in the real world, even in digital media where I currently work, you need to know less and less code with packages like Wordpress available. Still lots of kids coding sites like Scratch that make it a lot of fun.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:27 pm

Primary looks like the best place to be I reckon. Certainly looks a lot of fun watching what some of the teachers at my daughter's school get to do. Enjoy!

Edit: Need more men in primary education as well. Think there's only a couple at my daughter's place...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Thu 27 Mar 2014, 4:24 pm

My Dad used to be a primary school teacher and I remember when he was looking for a job there were two things he thought worked in his favour -- being a man, and having some work/life experience before entering the teaching profession.  Good luck Digger !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 27 Mar 2014, 6:40 pm

Very true hopefully Plunky, I think 20 odd years of real world experience should help. Mind you a years training surrounded by stacks of 20 something young girls won't be a complete hardship....purely from a window shopping perspective obviously!

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 28 Mar 2014, 9:11 am

yes he is kwini- nothing more to discuss

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 28 Mar 2014, 9:16 am

Hilarious debtate on 5live right now with a bunch of religitards opposing gay marriage.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 28 Mar 2014, 9:23 am

WHat a come back by england in the cricket though. Wow.. sweet times.. Still a rubbish format

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 28 Mar 2014, 9:30 am

super_realist wrote:Hilarious debtate on 5live right now with a bunch of religitards opposing gay marriage.

Super

what is your opinion on gay marriage?

In what other areas of society would you create equal rights for gay people?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 28 Mar 2014, 9:42 am

Mac, I've no issue with any sort of equality. Why would I?

In what other areas are there not equal opportunities?

Actually, it's not true that I believe in equality for all, I don't believe religious beliefs have any place in society. They don't deserve my respect, and they don't deserve special tax, education and political exemptions.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 28 Mar 2014, 11:30 am

mystiroakey wrote:WHat a come back by england in the cricket though. Wow.. sweet times.. Still a rubbish format
Yep. Was pretty amazing. I was (more or less) in fits of giggles when I saw what happened in the first over, thought "Nah. Can't be!" when they reached about 140/2 and was pretty amazed they pulled it off and that Hales finished it by almost hitting the ball out of the ground. Great result but I agree, usually a pretty rubbish format.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 28 Mar 2014, 11:32 am

super_realist wrote:Hilarious debtate on 5live right now with a bunch of religitards opposing gay marriage.
Quite like that new word of yours S_R. Definitely one I think I'll find myself using on occasion  OK .
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 28 Mar 2014, 11:38 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
Quite like that new word of yours S_R. Definitely one I think I'll find myself using on occasion  OK .

I like "creatards" as a description too. Not sure the mods approve though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 28 Mar 2014, 12:20 pm

I'm not a fan of 20 20 in general, IPL and Big Bash leaves me cold. But I do enjoy the World Cup for some reason, and was certainly a cracking innings by Hales and none too shabby by Morgan either. Think the loss to NZ was a bit unlucky really but I'd have taken the win if the boot was on the other foot.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 28 Mar 2014, 2:09 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:WHat a come back by england in the cricket though. Wow.. sweet times.. Still a rubbish format
Yep. Was pretty amazing. I was (more or less) in fits of giggles when I saw what happened in the first over, thought "Nah. Can't be!" when they reached about 140/2 and was pretty amazed they pulled it off and that Hales finished it by almost hitting the ball out of the ground. Great result but I agree, usually a pretty rubbish format.
yeah I went out after that first over- stuck some money on and england win , wish i had seen it though

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 28 Mar 2014, 6:33 pm

T20 may not be to everyone's tastes but watching Darren Sammy smashing the aussies is great. In fact he is my current favourite player.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next