The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+25
lorus59
BlueCoverman
puligny
Plunky
Diggers
mystiroakey
super_realist
MontysMerkin
navyblueshorts
Roller_Coaster
pedro
McLaren
incontinentia
westisbest
Davie
beninho
kwinigolfer
GunsGerms
Bob_the_Job
1GrumpyGolfer
raycastleunited
SmithersJones
golfermartin
JAS
barragan
29 posters

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Tue 25 Feb 2014, 3:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

Rugby players are too fat to catch us Davie.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:07 pm

beninho wrote:Didn't someone die in Ireland recently due to the abortion laws? They asked for an abortion, but was not provided. I may be wrong, but i recall hearing it.

Yes that is true. Savita Halipanivar but that was due to the incompetence of the doctors rather than legislation to protect her as far as I know.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:09 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Diggers wrote:
Irresponsible isn't one person being careless, irresponsible is legislation that would bring thousands of unwanted kids into the world.

Its the reasons why she doesnt want the child that I dont understand. Seems selfish to me.

I would be in favour of abortions for junkies for example because facilitating them have kids is just perpetuating a big societal problem. There is also some evidence that crime rates drop in countries where abortion has been introduced for similar reasons.

Women who have been raped or whose lives are in danger because of their pregnancy, there are lots of reasons to legislate for it but I just dont think if should be allowed for any reason whatsoever. Thats my opinion I dont think it is as black and white as everyone else seems to think on this thread.

I think the wording here is an issue...to me its not a child, its an embryo. If someone doesn't want tp have a child then to me it is utterly wrong to force them into having a child. Its like, "you made a mistake..you can live with consequences and you have to bring up a child that you didn't want." Seriously, where is the logic in that scenario? Where is the winner in that situation?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:12 pm

pedro wrote:GG, It's legislation based on religious beliefs. It's medieval and bigoted. Who are we to judge what other people can do with their own body?

If you really are religious then I guess you can wait to have your judgement till you face your creator? No need to have terrestrial legislation or impose your religious beleifs on others. When you die you can face God. When you're alive you can repent. Leave the rest of us alone please.

Every legal system has antiquated laws. The Irish constitution was amended over 40 years ago to remove religious references.

Abortion isnt necessarly a religious issue. Who am I imposing religious belief on? I could be a buddist for all you know. I find your post really strange if Im honest. Did you think it through?

Last edited by GunsGerms on Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:12 pm

It might be claimed that it is not religious. However it's not a stretch to conceive that such a law is a product of being a religious society in cultural terms.

America is a secular state, but many things are done there as a response to much of the population being religious despite their protestations they keep church and state separate.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:13 pm

Turkey is also a secular state. So is America. Yet legislation is still heavily influenced by religion.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:15 pm

Gun

If it is not religion that makes you question someones right to make a choice about whether or not to have a child then what is it?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:17 pm

super_realist wrote:It might be claimed that it is not religious. However it's not a stretch to conceive that such a law is a product of being a religious society in cultural terms.

America is a secular state, but many things are done there as a response to much of the population being religious despite their protestations they keep church and state separate.

Well then it might surprise to learn that in Ireland the law against abortions was actually derived from UK law when Ireland was part of the UK. At independence from the UK in 1922, the Offences against the Person Act 1861 remained in force, maintaining all abortions to be illegal.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:19 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
pedro wrote:GG, It's legislation based on religious beliefs. It's medieval and bigoted. Who are we to judge what other people can do with their own body?

If you really are religious then I guess you can wait to have your judgement till you face your creator? No need to have terrestrial legislation or impose your religious beleifs on others. When you die you can face God. When you're alive you can repent. Leave the rest of us alone please.

Every legal system has antiquated laws. The Irish constitution was amended over 40 years ago to remove religious references.

Abortion isnt necessarly a religious issue. Who am I imposing religious belief on? I find your post really strange if Im honest. Did you think it through?
By saying that abortion should be conditional and by justifying the Irish system. Can think of no other reasons.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:20 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
super_realist wrote:It might be claimed that it is not religious. However it's not a stretch to conceive that such a law is a product of being a religious society in cultural terms.

Well then it might surprise to learn that in Ireland the law against abortions was actually derived from UK law when Ireland was part of the UK. At independence from the UK in 1922, the Offences against the Person Act 1861 remained in force, maintaining all abortions to be illegal.

And this is commendable in what way? All it shows is a failure to move forward and change with compassion. Its quite possible not a religious view, but its certainly a moral view, the imposition of an outdated set of moral values onto an individual.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:21 pm

McLaren wrote:Gun

If it is not religion that makes you question someones right to make a choice about whether or not to have a child then what is it?

I think the debate as to at what point an embryo is considered to be life isnt really a religious debate at all but a scientific one.

Can I just point out once again that I didnt claim that abortions are right or wrong but that it isnt as black and white to me as it seems to be to everyone else.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:22 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

Yes, but the UK decided the law was outdated and that people should have autonomy over their own bodies.

It isn't my problem if the Irish government doesn't have respect for their own citizens to decide what to do with their own bodies and base their laws on the basis of a 1922 law. Laws can be changed.

We used to think slavery was ok and legal too, does it make it right?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:23 pm

Diggers wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

And this is commendable in what way? All it shows is a failure to move forward and change with compassion. Its quite possible not a religious view, but its certainly a moral view, the imposition of an outdated set of moral values onto an individual.

I didnt say it was commendable. All I have said is I dont know what the answer is re abortion.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:24 pm

Well, it's pretty obvious that the answer isn't to allow other people to have a legal right to deny autonomy to their own body.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:24 pm

We can all agree that Europe 100 or 200 years ago was a different place. Women couldn't vote as well. And even some golf clubs only allowed male members. Would you belive that? Luckily some moved on.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:25 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

I think the debate as to at what point an embryo is considered to be life isnt really a religious debate at all but a scientific one.

Can I just point out once again that I didnt claim that abortions are right or wrong but that it isnt as black and white to me as it seems to be to everyone else.

Fair enough but you haven't really given me anything like a good reason as to why they might be right.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:25 pm

Guns

I have to admit that I do not know what the basis is for the current cut off in terms of being able to have an abortion performed.  As you say, I hope it is based on scientific grounds.  

What makes the issue in general not "black and white" for you?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:27 pm

Without specifically referring to abortion I actually dont think it is appropriate for a government to always give its citizens the power to make all their decisions when there is evidence that citizens will out of ignorance make decisions that are contrary to their best interests.

There is an excellent book on governmental policy making called "Nudge" that explores such dillemas. Well worth a read.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:28 pm

American legislation may still be heavily influenced by religion.

But the bigger influence is the demonisation of those who dare to speak out against that religious influence.

If you see what I'm trying to say!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:31 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

Without specifically referring to abortion I actually dont think it is appropriate for a government to always give its citizens the power to make all their decisions when there is evidence that citizens will out of ignorance make decisions that are contrary to their best interests.

There is an excellent book on governmental policy making called "Nudge" that explores such dillemas. Well worth a read.

But then your are letting the government decide that an embryo has more rights than the individual.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:31 pm

Gun

Not sure what the book is about, but if it is along the lines of providing services that benefit everyone I am sure it has some merit. For example, given the choice would the UK public choose to keep the NHS or move to an insurance model for healthcare. I hope we are never given the choice.

But, how could this argument extend to an abortion where an individual is making a choice which effects no one else? Should a women ever be in a position where someone else decides if they are to remain pregnant?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:32 pm

McLaren wrote:Guns

I have to admit that I do not know what the basis is for the current cut off in terms of being able to have an abortion performed.  As you say, I hope it is based on scientific grounds.  

Its just such a complicated issue. There are so many things to consider if you want to legislate for 100% freedom of choice of re abortion. You open up the possibility of abuse of the law where women could use abortion as a form of contraception for example.

The biggest difficulty for me however, is the pro life debate and at what point an embryo should be considered a human life. I dont have the answer to this question and therefore I find abortion a very very complicated issue.

For me it doesnt have anything to do with religion.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:34 pm

super_realist wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

But then your are letting the government decide that an embryo has more rights than the individual.

No Im not. I said I wasnt referring specifically to abortion in that comment. I do not know what the law should be re abortion that is all I have ever said. I dont understand how people can be so certain it is a good thing.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:35 pm

Kwini

Too true, I have heard stories of teachers loosing jobs, in areas where the religious right are a strong presence, if they choose to teach evolution in the science classroom.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:36 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

Its just such a complicated issue. There are so many things to consider if you want to legislate for 100% freedom of choice of re abortion. You open up the possibility of abuse of the law where women could use abortion as a form of contraception for example.

The biggest difficulty for me however, is the pro life debate and at what point an embryo should be considered a human life. I dont have the answer to this question and therefore I find abortion a very very complicated issue.

Guns, I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous. Have you any idea how horrible and harrowing it is for a woman to have an abortion? TO claim people would use it as a form of contraception is perfectly ignorant.

To make something illegal on that basis would be like outlwaing alcohol on the basis that a few people would drink themselves to death if it's freely available.

As Mac says, how can a governement decide whether someone should remain pregnant.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:38 pm

Diggers wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Fair enough but you haven't really given me anything like a good reason as to why they might be right.

Sorry I dont understand the question. Why who is right?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:39 pm

Mac,
There are very important cases coming up through the Court system where certain employers, some of them quite large, are suing for the right to refuse to pay employees' health care premiums for contraception, blood transfusions, you name it, they're against it.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:40 pm

Gun

It has been hypothesized, with some evidence to follow that abortion is linked to lower crime rates. http://pricetheory.uchicago.edu/levitt/Papers/DonohueLevittTheImpactOfLegalized2001.pdf
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:41 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Mac,
There are very important cases coming up through the Court system where certain employers, some of them quite large, are suing for the right to refuse to pay employees' health care premiums for contraception, blood transfusions, you name it, they're against it.

How do you cope living in among that kind of madness?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:41 pm

super_realist wrote:Yes, but the UK decided the law was outdated and that people should have autonomy over their own bodies.

It isn't my problem if the Irish government doesn't have respect for their own citizens to decide what to do with their own bodies and base their laws on the basis of a 1922 law. Laws can be changed.

We used to think slavery was ok and legal too, does it make it right?

The citizens of Ireland could decide in a referendum and may have already I cant remember.

No slavery is quite categorically wrong but the abortion debate for me is a much more complicated one.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:43 pm

Unlikely, given that it would not go along with their religious beliefs.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:43 pm

It has been hypothesized, with some evidence to follow that abortion is linked to lower crime rates. http://pricetheory.uchicago.edu/levitt/Papers/DonohueLevittTheImpactOfLegalized2001.pdf

I know Mac. I actually mentioned that already in a previous post. The book "Freakanomics" discusses this phenomonen quite nicely. Its very interesting. I also mentioned that I would be in favour of enforced abortions for junkies. Im guessing a lot of people here who are so pro choice would not agree with me on that one.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:46 pm

super_realist wrote:Unlikely, given that it would not go along with their religious beliefs.

You dont know as much about Ireland as you think you do Super.

UK law has religious infulences too. Didnt Henry the 8th change the laws or his religion etc. so he could marry more women and kill them? Cant quite remember the story there.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:47 pm

Mac,
It's very difficult!
All I can say is that I make it pretty well known that such behaviour/culture is the primary reason I will never become a US citizen.
Fortunately, politics here is pretty normal compared to most other States.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:48 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Diggers wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Sorry I dont understand the question. Why who is right?

Not who, they. They being your reasons as to why abortion might be right.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:48 pm

McLaren wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:Mac,

How do you cope living in among that kind of madness?

You're living amongst that kind of madness in the UK as well Mac

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/schools/new-laws-are-needed-to-prevent-creationism-indoctrination-in-independent-schools-says-top-science-educator-9067488.html

Thankfully the Government have now decided to force these schools to teach scientifically backed principles but it is long overdue
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:51 pm

mustputt

Thankfully we have it lot better than kwini, but you are right that we are seemingly taking a step backwards these days in terms of moving towards a secular state.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:51 pm

super_realist wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Guns, I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous. Have you any idea how horrible and harrowing it is for a woman to have an abortion? TO claim people would use it as a form of contraception is perfectly ignorant.

To make something illegal on that basis would be like outlwaing alcohol on the basis that a few people would drink themselves to death if it's freely available.

As Mac says, how can a governement decide whether someone should remain pregnant.

I didnt make that claim I said it was a consideration when legislating for abortion just like there are many considerations.

Once again I dont have the answers but at least Im willing to admit I dont know it all when you seem to have convinced yourself that you know everything there is to know about abortion at therefore are convinced the laws in the UK are flawless re abortion.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:53 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
super_realist wrote:Unlikely, given that it would not go along with their religious beliefs.

You dont know as much about Ireland as you think you do Super.

UK law has religious infulences too. Didnt Henry the 8th change the laws or his religion etc. so he could marry more women and kill them? Cant quite remember the story there.

For Christs sake Guns, Yes, we have a religious heritage, it doesn't stop us from changing the laws once we realise they don't work anymore.

Henry the 8th? Bloody hell. Did you have to trawl that far back to make a point?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:56 pm

I do believe there should be a cut off date. I dint know the current date though but would guess it it's been decided by the professionals.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:57 pm

super_realist wrote:
For Christs sake Guns, Yes, we have a religious heritage, it doesn't stop us from changing the laws once we realise they don't work anymore.

Henry the 8th? Bloody hell. Did you have to trawl that far back to make a point?

Thought you could do with some light comic relief. Surely you didnt think I was serious there? You clearly do have religious influences if you say "for christ sake"

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Apr 2014, 5:00 pm

beninho wrote:I do believe there should be a cut off date. I dint know the current date though but would guess it it's been decided by the professionals.

In the UK there is one alright.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 23 Apr 2014, 5:01 pm

Gun

I know very little about developmental biology and would not claim to know "everything there is to know about abortion", but I have no issue with accepting that under current UK law a fetus is nowhere near a functioning baby at the point at which you can have an abortion.

If it is not the development of the fetus or its human'ness at the time of the abortion what other factors do you think are complicated?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 5:02 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Thought you could do with some light comic relief. Surely you didnt think I was serious there? You clearly do have religious influences if you say "for christ sake"

It was a deliberate rebuke, just incase it "offended" someone.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 5:02 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
beninho wrote:I do believe there should be a cut off date. I dint know the current date though but would guess it it's been decided by the professionals.

24 weeks I think, after that it's a coathanger and a bottle of gin

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Apr 2014, 5:05 pm

I know very little about developmental biology and would not claim to know "everything there is to know about abortion", but I have no issue with accepting that under current UK law a fetus is nowhere near a functioning baby at the point at which you can have an abortion.  

If it is not the development of the fetus or its human'ness at the time of the abortion what other factors do you think are complicated?

Mac we could be here all day if we really get into this one. Part of it is I dont know enough about the issue to understand what the right process should be. Maybe ask Super as he seems to know everything you need to know about it.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Apr 2014, 5:08 pm

super_realist wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

24 weeks I think, after that it's a coathanger and a bottle of gin

Well we use a coat hanger and a hoover over here and you call us out dated.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 23 Apr 2014, 5:10 pm

Gun

Are you saying you don't understand the conflict between the mothers rights and those of her unborn child/fetus/embryo?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 23 Apr 2014, 5:13 pm

24 weeks. That seems quite far in, my wife is 26/27 weeks at moment and baby has been moving for a fair few weeks. I would assume though that if you feel the need to abort your mind will have been made up before 24 weeks though.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 23 Apr 2014, 8:19 pm

Can someone please mention Hitler in this conversation then we can invoke Godwin's Law and move on? :P

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 23 Apr 2014, 8:47 pm

beninho wrote:24 weeks. That seems quite far in, my wife is 26/27 weeks at moment and baby has been moving for a fair few weeks. I would assume though that if you feel the need to abort your mind will have been made up before 24 weeks though.

Congrats Ben, that's number 2 isn't it. The second one is a real game changer.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next