The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Championship play-off final 2nd Leg

+27
westisbest
Ozzy3213
Bristolian
nth
Jhamer25
The Saint
exiled Welsh exiles
HammerofThunor
EggChaser
aitchw
bluestonevedder
Coleman
Irish Londoner
Jimpy
HongKongCherry
PenfroPete
munkian
Geordie
BristolDave
geoff998rugby
profitius
Bathman_in_London
Sgt_Pooly
Notch
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
formerly known as Sam
Scrumpy
31 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Championship play-off final 2nd Leg - Page 3 Empty Championship play-off final 2nd Leg

Post by Scrumpy Wed May 28, 2014 9:14 pm

First topic message reminder :

Championship final: Bristol v London Welsh (8-27 agg)

Venue: Memorial Stadium

Wednesday, 4 June

Kick-off: 19:45

Can Brizzle bounce back?

I can't see them doing it, so I guess the next question is can Oxford Welsh stay up next season?

Last edited by Scrumpy on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Championship play-off final 2nd Leg - Page 3 Empty Re: Championship play-off final 2nd Leg

Post by Jimpy Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:38 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I didn't get that far in your post tbh

I do have a little bit of a soft spot for Falcons. They used to be my 'second' team on account that my Ex wife is a Geordie (Co Durham). I desperately tried to civilise her by bringing her down south and getting her a job, but eventually, she reverted to type and became an adulterous, loud mouthed, poorly educated clothes horse that liked spewing on the pavement outside our local pub. Now, my only fond memory of Falcons is all the players they've donated to Tigers over the years... ahhhh halycon days...

My new second team is Exeter, girlfriend is Cornish, and i'm glad because Exeter aren't half bad. It got depressing going to Kingston Park and watching Falcons get drubbed, or lose to Leeds by a point...

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Championship play-off final 2nd Leg - Page 3 Empty Re: Championship play-off final 2nd Leg

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:41 am

So you don't like Falcons because your wife cheated on you? You come across as such a nice guy too.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:41 am

Well so much for no clauses. Hughes has signed for Exeter according to ESPN.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:47 am

Jimpy wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:This season was simply about survival. The Play Offs screw up any kind of professional forward planning.

We have recruited very sensibly whilst brining through several of top class youngsters (with more on the way through). We'll not be the team that stuttered to survival this season.

I can't see anything spectacular, the other teams have been recruiting and bringing players through too - it's all relative. Realistically, the top six from last season will be viewing Falcons as a nailed on 5 points and Falcons will be hard pushed to get out of the bottom four next season I reckon...

I never said challenging the top 4?

I said we would be a far improved side from that of this season.

We have a management team that is very experienced and have been there and done it before. They are doing thinks slowly.

The top 6 may think that...but they will definately come a cropper if thats the case.

For example, our pack was excellent most of the year, the glaring problem was a lack of any kind of decent carrier.

We have now brought in 3 players of such ilk and a few of the youngsters also offer substantial carrying. So that area has been fixed which should make us a more aggreesive forward moving pack. not too mention the signings of real tough aggressive no nonsence players like Italian international Furno and Calum Green from leeds.

Likewise we lost a few games due to inconsistant kicking. We have signed Socino who is a relentless goal kicker. And a cracking player aswell.

So we have improved areas sensibly.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:48 am

Bristolian, wouldn't get too lathered about the name thing, Prem's made up almost entirely of teams with innapropriate/irrelevent tags.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:49 am

Jimpy wrote:

I do have a little bit of a soft spot for Falcons. They used to be my 'second' team on account that my Ex wife is a Geordie (Co Durham). I desperately tried to civilise her by bringing her down south and getting her a job, but eventually, she reverted to type and became an adulterous, loud mouthed, poorly educated clothes horse that liked spewing on the pavement outside our local pub. Now, my only fond memory of Falcons is all the players they've donated to Tigers over the years... ahhhh halycon days...

My new second team is Exeter, girlfriend is Cornish, and i'm glad because Exeter aren't half bad. It got depressing going to Kingston Park and watching Falcons get drubbed, or lose to Leeds by a point...

Reverting to type? So all people from up here follow that stereotype? Your making a clown of yourself pal....!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:52 am

Don't bite GF, the guy obviously has an agenda.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:53 am

Yeah your right mate.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:00 pm

Don't have any doubt Falcons are going to be a lot tougher to beat next season. Forwards squad developing nicely with plenty of good youngsters who are only going to improve. Do need some smart additions to the backline though cos it was going nowhere a lot of last season.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristolian Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:04 pm

Aitch I was a bit tongue in cheek about the 'Chiefs'... doesn't translate well in print though! Fact is these nicknames are part and parcel of the modern game, which is better than it ever has been thanks to professionalism - we just have to take the rough with the smooth. It isn't to my taste, but you know what? If it makes it more appealing to youngsters and gets more of them playing then it's fine by me.

Just a bit defensive at the moment though.... Its weird, in a fit of pique after the Kassam Catastrophe I told a friend I'm done with Bris. Been supporting since I was 9, and almost 25 years later I have no good memories. In the past I've managed to break the smoking addiction, turn my back on women who were bad for me, yet I can't quit Bristol. Stockholm syndrome I guess.

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:05 pm

aitchw wrote:Don't have any doubt Falcons are going to be a lot tougher to beat next season. Forwards squad developing nicely with plenty of good youngsters who are only going to improve. Do need some smart additions to the backline though cos it was going nowhere a lot of last season.

Aitch, Socino and Alesanna Tuilagi are not bad for starters.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristolian Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:08 pm

Saint, Hughes was never going to stay on he was an injury cover loanee. No full time contract was ever signed as far as I know, so no clauses of any kind at all.

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:23 pm

Bristolian, the name thing isn't a big issue for me either but have to confess I'm a bit embarrassed by the 'Yorkshire Carnegie' rebranding. Thick skin going to be needed especially if we don't make bigger waves soon.

Geordie, Socino looks good and really hope Alesanno still has enough left in his legs but it's a long season and you're going to need more than that. Just want to see you be really competitive like Sale have been this season.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristolian Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:35 pm

I understand 'Yorkshire' has not gone down too well at Rotherham and Donny! Honestly though, whether its tall poppy syndrome or something else people are always quick to have a go at someone trying to achieve something/showing ambition. Look at the opprobrium heaped on Sarries and Toulon. Few people are willing to flip the situation around and say wait a minute, they/he are in fact taking a massive risk to create something. Without clubs and owners like those (and Bristol's actually) the sport would be stuck in 1986 or whatever. Remember watching Rugby Special at tea time on Sundays a few years ago? We'd still be there.

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:59 pm

All the clubs know the score and know how the system works, teams now adjust their preparation accordingly. They first aim to finish in the play off positions then peak for semi and final.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:00 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

Reverting to type? So all people from up here follow that stereotype? Your making a clown of yourself pal....!

You mean there's a different North east of England to the one I used to have to visit?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:01 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:So you don't like Falcons because your wife cheated on you? You come across as such a nice guy too.

Where did I say I didn't like Falcons? Did you go to the same school as my Ex?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:02 pm

I have no idea why your wife used to drink heavily.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:07 pm

I bet she was a delight before she met you Jimpy  Very Happy 

The North East is a beautiful part of England. I wouldn't say it's any worse than the Midlands.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:12 pm

Just stick him on ignore!

Where does this leave Robbo?

He seems to fail wherever he goes, should he go back to being a forwards only coach?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:17 pm

Go to any major town or city on a Friday/Saturday night and you'll see similar. Has no relevance to the true nature of the wider population. If that's Jimpy's experience of the North East it suggests more about his social activities than it does about that historic and stunning region.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:19 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I bet she was a delight before she met you Jimpy  Very Happy 

The North East is a beautiful part of England. I wouldn't say it's any worse than the Midlands.

I havent been to the Midlands apart from Leicester (which most definately isn't pretty) since 1988, its probably changed a lot. The NE is very pleasing on the eye I must say, it's not the geography that's in question.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:22 pm

Well for the sake of entente cordiale I spent 2 and a bit years serving in the North East and loved every minute of it, spent many a good night (mornings were bad) in Newcastle and loved the towns around that area Alnwick and Morpeth especially.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:25 pm

I've just been dispatched to Alnwick way myself. It's no Hartlepool but it's a very nice part of the world.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:26 pm

aitchw wrote:Go to any major town or city on a Friday/Saturday night and you'll see similar. Has no relevance to the true nature of the wider population. If that's Jimpy's experience of the North East it suggests more about his social activities than it does about that historic and stunning region.

I happen to have seen what i've seen on my way to the opera....

Any of you been to Shotton Colliary lately, or Newton Aycliffe? or how about Ferryhill? The wider population there certainly opened my eye to the notion that there was a dumping ground for failed medical experiments with a penchant for dole checks and an overtly racist ethic.

Last edited by Jimpy on Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:28 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I've just been dispatched to Alnwick way myself. It's no Hartlepool but it's a very nice part of the world.

They're so proud of the fact that they (allegedly) hung a monkey there for being a spy, they erected a statue to it at the marina...

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:29 pm

C'mon Jimpy, every region has it's poo holes.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:30 pm

And elected a mayor called Hang'gus, a man dressed in a monkey suit.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:31 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:C'mon Jimpy, every region has it's poo holes.

You're right, the East Terrace needs a roof, it's freezing in Winter!

Last edited by Jimpy on Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:31 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:C'mon Jimpy, every region has it's poo holes.

And as a born n bred valley boy there are quite a few up that way.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:41 pm

Seeing as Bristol have made Peel and a few others available for loan next season, can we keep Jack Lam?

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:28 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:I have no idea why your wife used to drink heavily.

laughing 

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:29 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I bet she was a delight before she met you Jimpy  Very Happy 

I bet he never got out of the Bigg Market Sarge... Wink 

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:24 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
Jhamer25 wrote:I've got to say, these play off matches between welsh and Bristol have been better than any standard of rugby i have watched in the Rabodirect. If half the team (especially the four welsh regions) played with the pure grit, pride and determination that the London Welsh team did today then the Rabo would be a goo advertisement for rugby (but it's not).
Well done Welsh thoroughly deserved
I wonder what will happen to the big Bristol signings now, bit eager with the pen some players were. I hope Ryan Jones, Matthew Morgan and Dwayne Peel come back to the regions.

Bell end

Bluddy hell, hit a nerve did I Hug 

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:25 pm

westisbest wrote:Nicky Robinson will be kicking himself(pardon the pun) for missing those kicks.

I believe the traditional response is 'he'd probably miss'
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:42 pm

Notch wrote:
westisbest wrote:Nicky Robinson will be kicking himself(pardon the pun) for missing those kicks.

I believe the traditional response is 'he'd probably miss'

Someone has already mentioned that Very Happy

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by exiled Welsh exiles Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:07 am

HammerofThunor wrote:Yeah, the first bit is completely unrealistic, it just feels a bit Poopie when a team that is miles ahead of all the other teams lose a playoff game (possibly because of a dodgy ref decision or a load of injuries during the playoffs.

Almost like the baffling pool stage qualifiers before the semi-final and play-off final they tried not that long back. Play-offs have been around for some time now but it seems like it is only since the shock of London Welsh taking Newcastle's place that, outside of the championship, anyone has taken much notice of it.

A team that is genuinely miles ahead of other teams ought to be good enough to get through the play-offs, for example Harlequins and Saints I believe would have returned almost as a formality had they played them. Falcons and Worcester who faced far stiffer tests to Premiership returns from the other Championship sides than the former two, also came through quite comfortably in the end as well.

At least with home and away play-offs it does allow an opportunity to correct something that is wrong rather than just be eliminated on the night.

exiled Welsh exiles

Back to top Go down

Post by exiled Welsh exiles Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:42 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Bristol are a poor team without their big name signings. The way they're set up this season would not work in the AP.

Yea they've signed some good players but they may not have gelled together. Welsh look hard to breakdown, they won't be a pushover in the AP

The telling moment over the two legs was when Bristol brought the game aggregate to within 8 points; London Welsh as a team found two tries when they needed to, in the face of building Bristol momentum.

exiled Welsh exiles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3