The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV

+40
funnyExiledScot
RDW
George Carlin
justified sinner
GLove39
21st Century Schizoid Man
EST
VinceWLB
EWT Spoons
Geordie
TJ
Pal Joey
Welly
Poorfour
des
St John The Enforcer
lostinwales
Imperialbigdave
tigertattie
Notch
Tattie Scones RRN
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Dorothy_Mantooth
R!skysports
highland_scot
SecretFly
RuggerRadge2611
madmaccas
the_oncoming_storm
reallybored
alive555
Biltong
demosthenes
MacKnocked-on
Weegie Wizard
BigGee
nickj
Nematode
Majestic83
44 posters

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV - Page 18 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV

Post by George Carlin Fri 27 Jun 2014, 6:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

Historical Banter:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV - Page 18 Blacka10
https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
https://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii

A new thread for the 2014/5 season.

A. Edinburgh Rugby
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV - Page 18 Edinbu10

1. Coaching Team

Alan Solomons - head coach
Stevie Scott -  assistant coach
Omar Mouneimne - assistant coach

2. Players In

Neil Cochrane from London Wasps
John Andress from Worcester Warriors
Rory Sutherland from Gala RFC
Tom Heathcote from Bath Rugby
Michael Tait from Newcastle Falcons
Fraser McKenzie from Newcastle Falcons
Phil Burleigh from the Highlanders
Anton Bresler from the Sharks
Brett Thompson from USA 7s

3. Players Out

Steven Lawrie retired
Alun Walker released
Alex Allan to Glasgow Warriors
Geoff Cross to London Irish
Lewis Niven released
Sean Cox to London Irish
Robert McAlpine released
Perry Parker to Rotherham Titans
Izak van der Westhuizen released
Ross Rennie to Bristol Rugby
Dimitri Basilaia released
Alex Black released
Greig Laidlaw to Gloucester Rugby
Chris Leck released
Piers Francis released
Gregor Hunter released
Harry Leonard to Leeds Carnegie
Ben Atiga retired
Ben Cairns retired
Nick De Luca to Biarritz Olympique
Lee Jones released
Aleki Lutui to Gloucester Rugby

4. Pre-season Fixtures

Leicester Tigers v Edinburgh
Saturday 23 August, 14:00
Welford Road

Edinburgh v Newcastle Falcons
Friday 29 August, 19:45
Mansfield Park, Hawick

B. Glasgow Warriors
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV - Page 18 Glasgo10

1. Coaching Team

Gregor Townsend – Head Coach
Shade Munro – Forwards Coach
Matt Taylor – Defence Coach

2. Players In

Alex Allan from Edinburgh
Murray McConnell from Ayr RFC
Euan Murray from Worcester Warriors
James Downey from Munster
Rossouw de Klerk from the Cheetahs

3. Players Out

Moray Low to Exeter Chiefs
Chris Cusiter to Sale Sharks
Ruaridh Jackson to London Wasps
Ed Kalman retired
Byron McGuigan released
Finlay Gillies released
Scott Wight to Melrose RFC
Gabriel Ascárate released
Folau Niua released
Carlin Isles to USA 7s

4. Pre-season Fixtures

Glasgow Warriors v Harlequins
Saturday 23 August, 14:30
Scotstoun Stadium

London Scottish v Glasgow Warriors
Saturday 30 August, 15:00
Richmond Athletic Ground

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri 01 Aug 2014, 1:37 am; edited 8 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV - Page 18 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 26 Aug 2014, 10:53 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I see that Edinburgh rugby have started calling our latest kiwi centre Hurly as well - they clearly follow this thread and steal our (GC's?) ideas!

I'm not sure they do follow this thread, afterall they did re-sign Ben Atiga!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV - Page 18 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 26 Aug 2014, 10:59 am

jimbopip wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:I see that Edinburgh rugby have started calling our latest kiwi centre Hurly as well - they clearly follow this thread and steal our (GC's?) ideas!
So the club badge will now be changed to incorporate two out of work actors (luvvies) "resting" in the Stockbroker's Arms while freely exfoliating. Whistle

We can but dream Jimbopip!

Conversely I would suggest the Glasgow badge be changed to an image of a benefits application form with a bar of Imperial Leather in the foreground.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 26 Aug 2014, 11:03 am

So what are we thinking for this weekend's friendlies then?

The first game was all about getting guys a run out - I think he needs to be approaching this game with the start of the season in mind.  i.e. give his starting team for Munster at least 60 minutes together.

Personnel wise, other than Hurly everyone else is still injured so it should be the same squad.  I'd go with:

1 - Sutherland (deserves another game, plus there's no one else just now!)
2 - Ford
3 - Andress (surprise package last week - he does actually look a decent scrummager!)
4 - McKenzie
5 - Atkins
6 - Grant (stuck with him if Leonardi still injured)
7 - Watson (surely deserves another crack after last week)
8 - Du Preez

9 - S-H-C (the epitomy of Edinburgh's perceived metrosexual-ness, but he looked a lot sharper than Kennedy)
10 - Tonks
11- Visser (give him the bloody ball!)
12 - Hurly (although I suspect he'll go with Strauss)
13 - Dean (although I suspect he'll go with Beard)
14 - Fife
15 - McLennan (would like to see more of him)

Tactics wise we've got to show more in attack.  We should hopefully have more joy up front against Newcastle than Leicester and we really need to start doing something with the ball.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 26 Aug 2014, 11:10 am

Is the Edinburgh game just getting highlights shown this week on the D.Record site?

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 26 Aug 2014, 11:27 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
jimbopip wrote:
So the club badge will now be changed to incorporate two out of work actors (luvvies) "resting" in the Stockbroker's Arms while freely exfoliating. Whistle

We can but dream Jimbopip!

Conversely I would suggest the Glasgow badge be changed to an image of a benefits application form with a bar of Imperial Leather in the foreground.....
I always figured that the Glasgow arms would be a Blue Lagoon chip crossed with a hypodermic syringe and "you're getting the malky" written in Latin.

The Edinburgh arms would surely be a copy of Horse & Hound crossed with a Pimms bottle and "one must have a proper wicker picnic basket" in a lavishly serifed font.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 26 Aug 2014, 11:34 am

"Vos Es Questus Malky"

Would that make Edinburgh's motto:
"Sal Et Condimentum Est Potior Quam Armamentum"
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 26 Aug 2014, 11:53 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Personnel wise, other than Hurly everyone else is still injured so it should be the same squad.  I'd go with:

1 - Sutherland (deserves another game, plus there's no one else just now!)
2 - Ford
3 - Andress (surprise package last week - he does actually look a decent scrummager!)
4 - McKenzie
5 - Atkins
6 - Grant (stuck with him if Leonardi still injured)
7 - Watson (surely deserves another crack after last week)
8 - Du Preez

9 - S-H-C (the epitomy of Edinburgh's perceived metrosexual-ness, but he looked a lot sharper than Kennedy)
10 - Tonks
11- Visser (give him the bloody ball!)
12 - Hurly (although I suspect he'll go with Strauss)
13 - Dean (although I suspect he'll go with Beard)
14 - Fife
15 - McLennan (would like to see more of him)

Tactics wise we've got to show more in attack.  We should hopefully have more joy up front against Newcastle than Leicester and we really need to start doing something with the ball.

Completely agree with this team. Go with continuity where things went well, and change things which can be improved. The backline needs to sharpen up so I think it's right to introduce Hidalgo-Clyne and Burleigh. Kennedy can get the chance off the bench to prove himself - easier to come off the bench at 9 and make an impact.

I particularly agree with Dean getting another shot, assuming he's fit. The 13 jersey is a tricky position for Edinburgh this season, and I'd love to see a young SQ player given a proper shot at it.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 26 Aug 2014, 11:54 am

EWT Spoons wrote:Is the Edinburgh game just getting highlights shown this week on the D.Record site?

Just highlights - there is no live coverage. Not sure if it is on the Daily Record site but the Edinburgh Twitter feed said there would be highlights

Also worth remembering that this is Newcastle's 'home' game - strange that they moved it up to feckin Hawick!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 26 Aug 2014, 12:24 pm

I just hope that with the pre-season games going to the Borders, it actually translates to increased support down there for the professional teams in Scotland.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 26 Aug 2014, 12:41 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Is the Edinburgh game just getting highlights shown this week on the D.Record site?

Just highlights - there is no live coverage. Not sure if it is on the Daily Record site but the Edinburgh Twitter feed said there would be highlights

Also worth remembering that this is Newcastle's 'home' game - strange that they moved it up to feckin Hawick!

I could have sworn I saw something around it being on the daily record site, but can't find it now, maybe I imagined it.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 26 Aug 2014, 2:10 pm

Mahoosive shock - Big Al club captain again:
http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/news/14/08/26/kellock-named-captain-ninth-season-row

Al is a cracking bloke and officially is Mr Glasgow, but its fairly amazing that the fourth choice lock at a professional club can be captain, really. Wonder how much game time he's actually going to get?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 26 Aug 2014, 2:20 pm

I'll echo GC's comments when I see Matt Scott down there representing Edinburgh, even though he won't be fit untill Christmas at the earlierst.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 26 Aug 2014, 2:26 pm

Next to Chris Paterson, Big Al is the most reasonable choice as an ambassador for Scottish Rugby both within and outside Scotland. It wouldn't surprise me to see him moving straight into a coaching role after retirement, either at Glasgow or a Prem1 club. It therefore makes sense to keep him on as captain, even if he doesn't play every match.

If we're looking to grow the sport in Glasgow, he's the face you want people looking at. Tough, honest, a family man, and Glasgow to the core. If you were a kid in Castlemilk or Easterhouse, you'd be more inspired by him or Gordon Reid than you would by Sean Maitland.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 26 Aug 2014, 2:31 pm

George Carlin wrote:Mahoosive shock - Big Al club captain again:
http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/news/14/08/26/kellock-named-captain-ninth-season-row

Al is a cracking bloke and officially is Mr Glasgow, but its fairly amazing that the fourth choice lock at a professional club can be captain, really. Wonder how much game time he's actually going to get?

Well someone has to cut ribbons, turn up to charity events and give a speech at the end of season dinner, and it may as well be someone you don't actually need on the rugby field. This way he can dedicate more time to shaking hands and being an ambassador for the club.

Incidentally, I've just watched the Glasgow vs Quins highlights and what on earth have you done to Lee Jones?? He's actually doing good stuff, running past players and making some great offloads!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 26 Aug 2014, 2:54 pm

The Brumeister makes a (nother) salient point. However GC's description of Cap'n Al as fourth choice prompts me to reflect on Toonie's real success at Glasgow: namely having a squad where the lines between fist team and squad players are extremely blurred.
Consider
Props: Shrek, Angela, Coo, Rev Murray, Jerry Yanu, Roussow the sprinter, Alex Allan. I don't see much between the first four when they're all fit and focussed, and the last two look real prospects.
Second Row Ickle Jonnie is the out and out first choice, Naka looks to be heading that way, but Ryder, Guns and Kellock all have their pro's and cons so it's horses for courses there.
centres Dunbar, angel , Richie Vee, Downey, Furra. On heavy, muddy pitches against one-out opposition I think Downey and Vernon would be a fantastic pairing, Dunbar-Horne is as creative a pairing as any in the league and we all know angel is the best ever.
Back three Maitland, Tennessee Tam, Schlong ,Pixie, DTH, Murchie , Hogg. Which of those considers himself fourth choice?
I think Toonie should be lauded for developing such a strong squad.
Big Al may not play as much this season as he has in previous but he is the walking embodiment (to some of us) of what Glasgow is all about. Even if that walking is from one well inspected ruck to another.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 26 Aug 2014, 2:56 pm

FES the change in Lee Jones is simply explained;
Big Al explained to him that he's at a rugby club now.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 26 Aug 2014, 2:58 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

Well someone has to cut ribbons, turn up to charity events and give a speech at the end of season dinner, and it may as well be someone you don't actually need on the rugby field. This way he can dedicate more time to shaking hands and being an ambassador for the club.

Incidentally, I've just watched the Glasgow vs Quins highlights and what on earth have you done to Lee Jones?? He's actually doing good stuff, running past players and making some great offloads!!

Think quite a lot of teams are doing this these days, they pretty much have 2 captains, a club captain who has overall responisibility as captain of the club and then an onfield captain. Not sure who the onfield captain will be for Glasgow, a few choices though to pick from if Kellock isn't playing, Johnny Gray, Josh Strauss, Rob Harley...any others?

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 26 Aug 2014, 3:00 pm

I would personally select Gray and Naka as a clear first choice, with Swinson on the bench. I think Kellock is some way from that trio these days, but I do agree that Glasgow should keep him close. He's been there from the beginning and has been key to developing the strong club ethos. I've heard him speak a few times and he's pretty coherent for a Weegie, so I think a coaching role in due course would be a good idea. Many of the best clubs do that, keep their talisman players involved in the set-up to continue the good work, and Kellock is a prime candidate for that.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 26 Aug 2014, 3:04 pm

Majestic83 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Think quite a lot of teams are doing this these days, they pretty much have 2 captains, a club captain who has overall responisibility as captain of the club and then an onfield captain. Not sure who the onfield captain will be for Glasgow, a few choices though to pick from if Kellock isn't playing, Johnny Gray, Josh Strauss, Rob Harley...any others?

Johnny Gray for my money. I can see he and Gilchrist forming a great partnership for Scotland, with Big Richie coming on as an impact sub. Strauss would be an obvious choice during the window (for this season anyway), but I presume that's when Kellock would play as well.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Tue 26 Aug 2014, 6:59 pm

Good grief, I just caught a bit of the BBC Scotland news in a pub and they'd a rugby story up, looked like it was about Al being appointed Warriors captain, accompanied by the Rabo Pro 12 logo. Are there any non Old Firm morons in Pacific Quay.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 27 Aug 2014, 10:01 am

Fes, no sign of you this morning Fingers Crossed
Is it true that if it's a girl she's Festina and if it's a boy Fester? Very Happy

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 27 Aug 2014, 10:17 am

I saw the league getting called the Rabo last night. The BBC rugby coverage on the mainstream news is a shambles.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 27 Aug 2014, 10:48 am

jimbopip wrote:Fes, no sign of you this morning Fingers Crossed
Is it true that if it's a girl she's Festina and if it's a boy Fester? Very Happy

Farnsworth if it's a boy. Cornelia if it's a girl.

I wanted to go with grounded names, and avoid anything too posh.

No sign yet. Have sent Mrs fES up Arthur's Seat with a packed lunch consisting of vindaloo and pineapple juice.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 27 Aug 2014, 10:56 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
jimbopip wrote:Fes, no sign of you this morning Fingers Crossed

Farnsworth if it's a boy. Cornelia if it's a girl.

I wanted to go with grounded names, and avoid anything too posh.

No sign yet. Have sent Mrs fES up Arthur's Seat with a packed lunch consisting of vindaloo and pineapple juice.
Damn. I had the names down as 'Shuggy' and 'Senga'.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 27 Aug 2014, 11:31 am

Close GC - those were second choice names.

In the end we thought the name "Shuggy" wasn't particularly Stockbridge, and that his wicker basket would be pilfered by the other heirs and heiresses....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 27 Aug 2014, 12:56 pm

Is Cornelia really a name?
Is Delia really a dame?
Is Farnsworth born to play 10?
Is Barnes worth being Godfather again?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 27 Aug 2014, 1:04 pm

Jimbo, are you still up for meeting up before the LS game on Saturday?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 27 Aug 2014, 1:19 pm

Mister Gee, I have just sent you a very similar question on the referendum thread! I think I am but am currently in quite delicate negotiations with MrsPip. The London Scottish game was green lighted as it would be the only match for the foreseeable future, as a Scot living in that London you know what I mean. However, we were up north last week and I spent the Saturday at the match with Schiz and IanBru. I think it's a goer I just need to convince herself that the bank account can stand it even if my liver can't. I'll PM you. Or you PM me.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 27 Aug 2014, 1:25 pm

Let me know if you can. It will be a social rather than an alcoholic meeting for me, as I will be working that night, so I certainly won't be leading you astray if that helps.

Not that it seems you need a lot of leading!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 27 Aug 2014, 1:28 pm

Was speaking to a South African mate early about the current state of the springbok scrum against Argentina and their current lack of good tight head props.
The name that he mentioned that apparently has been doing the rounds around South African rugby circles since the weekend is WP Nel getting a call up to the Springboks!! Not found any articles or anything else online to back it up so hopefully just rumours.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 27 Aug 2014, 1:55 pm

Not sure how I feel on this one.  One side of me wouldn't mind seeing Nel turn out for Scotland at some stage (once he qualifies I guess), but if the lad can get a game for the Springboks, then would be delighted for him as clearly this would be his first option.

Mind you, would the potential of one Springbok cap be worth more than several Scotland caps.

Last edited by EWT Spoons on Wed 27 Aug 2014, 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Apparently I can't spell)

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 27 Aug 2014, 2:14 pm

I'm surprised by that, because Nel isn't a particularly convincing scrummager in my opinion. He's excellent in the loose, he has a proper turn of speed with ball in hand and a canny knack of scoring tries, but I'm yet to be convinced that he's a top class scrummager. Certainly not the sort of monster the Boks are looking for.

Hopefully he'll stay true to the deep roots forged by being in Scotland for 24 months.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 27 Aug 2014, 2:24 pm

Yeah, it's a funny one with Nel.

He's been a real bright spot at Edinburgh in a pretty dark period, and I think his failings at the end of last season can only have been because he was utterly flogged by Solomons.

However, I can't help thinking that our tighthead resources are in a much healthier state now than they were in Summer 2012 when Edinburgh signed WP. Welsh has really come on, and Cross has shown himself to be a quality player in the last two international seasons. With Murray and Moray as the other two options for the World Cup squad, I'm not going to commit ritual seppuku if Nel plays for the Springboks.

My constant justification for Visser playing for Scotland was that his career for the Netherlands would have been the definition of frustration, a class individual in an anonymous team. It's the exact opposite when he plays for Scotland. Very Happy

It has to be left up to WP, and only he can answer whether thirty-odd caps for Scotland will mean as much as perhaps five caps for the Boks.

Now, obviously, none of the above applies to Josh Strauss... so.. there's little point even mentioning him.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 27 Aug 2014, 2:34 pm

I think that with Willem Alberts and Marcel Coetzee available, even the most world class of world class Glasgow players probably isn't on the Bok radar.

Agreed on the Scotland tighthead resources. Murray should be fine for the next 12 months and the World Cup as first choice, and Cross and Welsh are perfectly able deputies. I also think the Exeter move will be good for Moray Low, getting him out of his comfort zone and into a different environment.

Nel and Cusack both qualify next year if both are fit/still available.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 27 Aug 2014, 2:53 pm

I think Cusack actually qualified in June of this year, but his long-running yet mysterious injuries have kept him off everyone's radar.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 27 Aug 2014, 2:58 pm

It's extremely frustrating with Cusack. He didn't just anchor the Glasgow scrum when fit but made a proper mess of opposition looseheads, getting them into tortuous positions.

I'd have loved to have seen a fully fit Mike Cusack making his debut against the Boks in the AIs, with Euan Murray coming on when he started to tire. Stick a combination of Grays, Hamilton and Gilchrist in that boiler room behind those two and I'd fancy us to turn a Bok strength into a weakness.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 27 Aug 2014, 3:03 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:It's extremely frustrating with Cusack. He didn't just anchor the Glasgow scrum when fit but made a proper mess of opposition looseheads, getting them into tortuous positions.

I'd have loved to have seen a fully fit Mike Cusack making his debut against the Boks in the AIs, with Euan Murray coming on when he started to tire. Stick a combination of Grays, Hamilton and Gilchrist in that boiler room behind those two and I'd fancy us to turn a Bok strength into a weakness.

Has Cusack played any games since the new scrummaging laws came into force. Will be interesting to see how he goes with the new laws having seen a few established props like Adam Jones really struggle.

On Euan Murray and not playing Sundays, will Scotland take him to the world cup as potentially if Scotland get out the group stages I think the quarters and semis would both be played on the Sunday?

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 27 Aug 2014, 3:05 pm

Majestic83 wrote:
On Euan Murray and not playing Sundays, will Scotland take him to the world cup as potentially if Scotland get out the group stages I think the quarters and semis would both be played on the Sunday?

I would purely on the basis that we need to get to the quarters and semis before they become an issue.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 27 Aug 2014, 3:14 pm

With Cusack, the one good sign is that he has been included in the BT Premiership Draft, although I worry that playing for Currie might just destroy his will to live...
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 27 Aug 2014, 3:37 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:

I would purely on the basis that we need to get to the quarters and semis before they become an issue.

I'd agree, plus we could take three tightheads and two looseheads if we wanted, with Welsh covering loosehead if needed.

Murray, Cross, Welsh, Grant and Reid/Dickinson.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 27 Aug 2014, 3:43 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:

I'd agree, plus we could take three tightheads and two looseheads if we wanted, with Welsh covering loosehead if needed.

Murray, Cross, Welsh, Grant and Reid/Dickinson.
God, that's so much better than a year ago when we had to rely on Allan Frederick Jacobsen to put down the pies long enough to join the engagement.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 27 Aug 2014, 4:42 pm

That's Roddy Grant now an injury doubt for the start of the season with a shoulder injury -we're starting to run out of back rowers!

We're pretty much down to 18 year old 13-stone-when-wet Jamie Ritchie, or playing Fraser McKenzie at 6 now...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 27 Aug 2014, 5:28 pm

I'm told Richie was ok coming off the bench against Leicester, so I would give him the Newcastle game to figure out whether he's up to it. As you say, the other option is to play one of our locks at 6 (that old chestnut), with McKenzie the likely candidate and one of the Toolis bros coming in at lock to partner Atkins.

Richie and Watson playing together may be green, but I'll support to the hilt opportunities being given to young promising SQ talent.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 27 Aug 2014, 5:44 pm

To be fair, if they are still going to be injured for the Munster game I'd go with McKenzie at 6 - you don't travel to Munster with an underpowered backrow.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 27 Aug 2014, 6:00 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I'm told Richie was ok coming off the bench against Leicester, so I would give him the Newcastle game to figure out whether he's up to it. As you say, the other option is to play one of our locks at 6 (that old chestnut), with McKenzie the likely candidate and one of the Toolis bros coming in at lock to partner Atkins.

Richie and Watson playing together may be green, but I'll support to the hilt opportunities being given to young promising SQ talent.

Ritchie did well with 20 mins off the bench against Leicester, but I think we have to remember he is only 18 and some game time off the bench is probably more than he expected at this stage in his career. He is a big lad, but it is hard to believe that at that age he is fully conditioned to the rigours of professional rugby yet. Johnny Gray got no more than a few minutes here and there in his first Glasgow season and bringing him on slowly did not really do him any harm.

Ritchie should be managed slowly and carefully if we want to see the best of him and get the long career as well. I would be very worried if he was just chucked right in there. Edinburgh just need to be a little bit patient and be creative with their squad. Most of the injured players are not that far away and it is a long season. I am not saying throw it away, but winning at Munster is not going to be the defining game of the season for them. If they go out there and play the way they did against Leicester, then they will be competitive.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 28 Aug 2014, 9:14 am

Thought Ritchie did pretty well when he came off the bench, especially as he’s come straight into the first team from school.

Think the odd game here and there would be a decent return for him this season and like biggee says maybe a few games from the bench.

Does mean we are somewhat limited in the backrow currently with all the injuries we’ve got.  Considering how kind we’ve been to Glasgow over the last few years with giving them players (or just saying no to players – Maitland!!!) they must have a player or two who they could loan us.  Ashe for example would be a welcome addition to our team, and certainly wouldn’t leave Glasgow short.

Come on Glasgow, you know it makes sense.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 28 Aug 2014, 9:45 am

EWT Spoons wrote:Thought Ritchie did pretty well when he came off the bench, especially as he’s come straight into the first team from school.

Think the odd game here and there would be a decent return for him this season and like biggee says maybe a few games from the bench.

Does mean we are somewhat limited in the backrow currently with all the injuries we’ve got.  Considering how kind we’ve been to Glasgow over the last few years with giving them players (or just saying no to players – Maitland!!!) they must have a player or two who they could loan us.  Ashe for example would be a welcome addition to our team, and certainly wouldn’t leave Glasgow short.

Would love to see Ashe, Bordill and Spinks get some game for Edinburgh. Or were you talking about the likes of Sherlock and Ryan Wilson?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 28 Aug 2014, 10:07 am

What kind of team do we think Glasgow will take down to London to play LS this weekend?

Its a bit of a balancing act really. The following week it is going to be full on against Leinster but this is also an opportunity to give some more of the squad players a run out as well. Going out with a full team and winning by a cricket score is not really going to be all that helpful.

Toonie said that Swinson will play this weekend and I wonder if we might see Finn Russell as well, who should have had a decent rest now and be ready to go. Is Dunbar fit yet and what about Cussack? It would be great to see the two of them getting some game time prior to the season starting.

Of the fringe players, I think we will see Spinks in the back row and probably Ali Price if he is fit now getting a run out at SH. I though McConnell did okay there last week, I liked his pass. It looks as if there may be a bit of competition in that position this year.

I don't think we will see Hogg or Lamont just yet as they had the longest summer stints. Most of the other sevens players are back, except for Vernon, so look out for him as well, probably in the centre. I do wonder about his long term future there though and think he might be spending a bit more time on the sevens circuit this year.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 28 Aug 2014, 10:37 am

George Carlin wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Thought Ritchie did pretty well when he came off the bench, especially as he’s come straight into the first team from school.

Would love to see Ashe, Bordill and Spinks get some game for Edinburgh. Or were you talking about the likes of Sherlock and Ryan Wilson?

Ashe would make the most sense. He could play 8 with Du Preez moving to 6 and Watson at 7. Ritchie on the bench to get 20 minutes or so.

I don't know what the restrictions are, if any, but at times of injury like this I really do think Glasgow and Edinburgh should be better at pooling resources, particularly young players like Ashe who are clearly ready for pro rugby but don't get enough opportunities.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 28 Aug 2014, 10:39 am

Like Edinburgh I think Glasgow need to focus on the squad for Leinster and give them plenty gametime against LS.

It is a bit more difficult for Glasgow as they don't have nearly as many injuries as Edinburgh - so have a lot of people needing gametime - but I think he needs to concentrate on the start of the GP.

Edinburgh's team pretty much picks itself just now there are so many injuries!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next