The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro12: any news?

+21
BigTrevsbigmac
Knackeredknees
wayne
Seagultaf
TJ
Irish Londoner
thebandwagonsociety
HammerofThunor
Notch
Sin é
bedfordwelsh
Totallybiasedscarlet
IanBru
justified sinner
Neutralee
profitius
doctornickolas
ScarletSpiderman
lostinwales
St John The Enforcer
Chunky Norwich
25 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Pro12: any news? - Page 4 Empty Pro12: any news?

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

A month to go  until the league season starts......Any news on when the fixtures are out?

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Pro12: any news? - Page 4 Empty Re: Pro12: any news?

Post by HammerofThunor Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:58 am

Sin é wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:
Neutralee wrote:

I'm confused, havn't the Welsh media basically supplemented the league for years?

Shhhhh. The Irish don't like to talk about the Welsh subsidising their rugby.

If anyone is subsidising the PRO12, its the BBC Licence fee's, most of which could from English people, not Welsh, Scottish or N Irish.

Not really. It comes out of the BBCW regional budget. Although there are plenty of English people living in Wales the vast majority would be Welsh (and would be balanced out by Welsh people in England).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:10 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:There was talk that the 'new' BBC deal was going to be about half what it was before due to Sky getting the primary rights.  The new BBCW deal (which includes S4C) is supposed to be about £3.5M.  So if you double that then previous the Welsh TV was worth about £7M. Not far off 60%.

That's just a rough guess though.

On the previous TV deals, because the Welsh were putting the most cash in for TV revenue, they were getting a greater percentage of TV revenue back. In other words the 'subsidising' issue was spotted before the cash started to flow through and the league made sure that the WRU held on to that cash as they were the ones generating it from tv licence money.

Not sure on exact pounds and percentages but the general gist of your post is probably close to a fair reflection of the deals. It gets confusing between people quoting contract value versus annual value. The euro/sterling prices add another layer of confusion. Then some quotations are based on BBC in total (so BBC Northern Ireland and BBC Wales) while others just quote BBC Wales.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:18 pm

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow you're only a day away guinness

Last edited by PenfroPete on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:19 pm

Sin é wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:
Neutralee wrote:

I'm confused, havn't the Welsh media basically supplemented the league for years?

If anyone is subsidising the PRO12, its the BBC Licence fee's, most of which could from English people, not Welsh, Scottish or N Irish.
I'm going to write into Points of View to complain!

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:30 pm

-Why is it appropriate for the Scottish Clubs operating in the Union’s ERC competition to receive an approximate distribution of €2.45m per team when the Welsh Regions receive only €1.225m per team?
-Why is it appropriate for the Italian teams operating in the same competition to receive approximately €2.3m per team?
-With the English clubs being able to negotiate TV revenues of £22m from their domestic league, why are the Unions only able to achieve revenue of £5.5m for primary TV rights for the RaboDirect Pro12 league?
-With the significant proposed contribution of £3.2m from Welsh television to secondary TV rights for Pro12, why is the estimated contribution from Irish TV only £910,000 and from Scottish TV only £140,000?
-Based on all of the above, have imbalances or subsidies built up in TV revenues between the various International and Club competitions negotiated by the Unions and if so, how did this arise?
-If this is the case, how can it be corrected going forward to ensure the Regions have the resources to retain and grow the pool of Welsh Professional players to adequately service the Professional game and the Welsh National team?

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:36 pm

I brought this up before on the euro thread, If the PRL want the English clubs to receive a similar value to the Celtic clubs through restructuring the euro comp to benefit the English clubs, then whats to stop the Welsh regions doing the same?

For all the slating the Welsh regions get they are in a difficult position, the screw is turning on them through lesser competitive funds from the European game, the Rabo league is funded by Welsh media money however they are receiving half the funds the Scottish and Italians get, they don't have the benefit the Irish clubs do of being euro based, and their governing body wants total control of their players...

You have to feel for the owners of these regions to a point, they are not getting much assistance to become competitive from any angle!

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:47 pm

Cyril wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:
Cyril wrote:Does anybody (other than American tourists) actually drink Guinness? It's 'orrible stuff.

They have a history of some good adverts but it wouldn't tempt me to drink any of their product.

More of a Carlsberg, Fosters, Carling, Strongbow man are you?
God no! I don't drink lager or cider.

Proper ale is the way forward. Preferably local micro-breweries. Being a Yorkshireman means there's a cracking choice round here. None of your mass-produced tourist muck Smile

Too right Cyril, for all their fame, Irish pubs suck where the beer on offer is concerned. Micro breweries are beginning to pop up everywhere though.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:53 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:
Neutralee wrote:

Not really. It comes out of the BBCW regional budget. Although there are plenty of English people living in Wales the vast majority would be Welsh (and would be balanced out by Welsh people in England).

Rugby is the Welsh national sport so the BBC as a public service broadcaster would have to have a certain amount on FTA tv. I presume that is why unlike England for instance, they can't sell off the media rights to the highest bidder for the Autumn Internationals.

I'd imagine there are quite a few Irish people living in the UK paying BBC licences who like to tune into the Pro12 on BBC Wales as well.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:58 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:-Why is it appropriate for the Scottish Clubs operating in the Union’s ERC competition to receive an approximate distribution of €2.45m per team when the Welsh Regions receive only €1.225m per team?
-Why is it appropriate for the Italian teams operating in the same competition to receive approximately €2.3m per team?
-With the English clubs being able to negotiate TV revenues of £22m from their domestic league, why are the Unions only able to achieve revenue of £5.5m for primary TV rights for the RaboDirect Pro12 league?
-With the significant proposed contribution of £3.2m from Welsh television to secondary TV rights for Pro12, why is the estimated contribution from Irish TV only £910,000 and from Scottish TV only £140,000?
-Based on all of the above, have imbalances or subsidies built up in TV revenues between the various International and Club competitions negotiated by the Unions and if so, how did this arise?
-If this is the case, how can it be corrected going forward to ensure the Regions have the resources to retain and grow the pool of Welsh Professional players to adequately service the Professional game and the Welsh National team?  

Not to worry Chunky, with this new Cup when the money starts flowing in for media rights etc., the Welsh and Irish won't know what to do with all the money as only the Welsh & Irish will benefit from the increased revenue.

I think what happened is that both the Italians & Scots said that they could not afford to take a reduction, so they are on minimum payments.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:02 pm

Sin é wrote:

Rugby is the Welsh national sport so the BBC as a public service broadcaster would have to have a certain amount on FTA tv. I presume that is why unlike England for instance, they can't sell off the media rights to the highest bidder for the Autumn Internationals.

How do you define a national sport? Loads more people in Wales play and watch soccer every week.

I don't know where you're going with the Autumn Internationals being sold off. It's not a "protected" FTA event.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:05 pm

Neutralee wrote:I brought this up before on the euro thread, If the PRL want the English clubs to receive a similar value to the Celtic clubs through restructuring the euro comp to benefit the English clubs, then whats to stop the Welsh regions doing the same?

For all the slating the Welsh regions get they are in a difficult position, the screw is turning on them through lesser competitive funds from the European game, the Rabo league is funded by Welsh media money however they are receiving half the funds the Scottish and Italians get, they don't have the benefit the Irish clubs do of being euro based, and their governing body wants total control of their players...

You have to feel for the owners of these regions to a point, they are not getting much assistance to become competitive from any angle!

Why should being Euro based make any difference?

The Irish Provinces are controlled by the IRFU - it doesn't seem to disadvantage the provinces too much.

Perhaps if the Welsh regions put a little effort into marketing themselves a bit better, stopped slagging off the PRO12 and got their fans to go to games, they might not be so reliant on
handouts from the WRU.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:07 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
Sin é wrote:

How do you define a national sport? Loads more people in Wales play and watch soccer every week.

I don't know where you're going with the Autumn Internationals being sold off. It's not a "protected"  FTA event.

A national sport or national pastime is a sport or game that is considered to be an intrinsic part of the culture of a nation. Some sports are de facto (not established by law) national sports, as baseball is in the United States and cricket is in England, while others are de jure (established by law) national sports, as lacrosse and ice hockey are in Canada.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:07 pm

Sin é wrote:
Neutralee wrote:I brought this up before on the euro thread, If the PRL want the English clubs to receive a similar value to the Celtic clubs through restructuring the euro comp to benefit the English clubs, then whats to stop the Welsh regions doing the same?

The Irish Provinces are controlled by the IRFU - it doesn't seem to disadvantage the provinces too much.

Perhaps if the Welsh regions put a little effort into marketing themselves a bit better, stopped slagging off the PRO12 and got their fans to go to games, they might not be so reliant on
handouts from the WRU.

A handout is something you get free.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:10 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
Sin é wrote:

handouts from the WRU.

A handout is something you get free.

The Welsh Regions are looking for money from the WRU but don't want to give the WRU anything back in return.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:12 pm

Sin é wrote:

handouts from the WRU.

I've noticed your comments are pretty one eyed of late, but that is pretty ignorant.

Even someon not from europe can see advantages and disadvantages of being Dublin based, not to mention recognising difficulties each nation has with growing the game and being competitive.

You sound like a spoilt little rich kid 'I want a new bike, I want a PS4, so what if poor kids can't have them, their parents should work harder to give them more stuff' Not an attractive quality!

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:12 pm

Sin é wrote:

The Welsh Regions are looking for money from the WRU but don't want to give the WRU anything back in return.

Utter codswalop. You know nothing of the Welsh game whatsoever.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:15 pm

I find it very interesting that Ulster's website have their pro12 fixture times up already.

The rest of us are still in the dark.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:19 pm

Neutralee wrote:
Sin é wrote:

handouts from the WRU.

I've noticed your comments are pretty one eyed of late, but that is pretty ignorant.

Even someon not from europe can see advantages and disadvantages of being Dublin based, not to mention recognising difficulties each nation has with growing the game and being competitive.

You sound like a spoilt little rich kid 'I want a new bike, I want a PS4, so what if poor kids can't have them, their parents should work harder to give them more stuff' Not an attractive quality!

Since I don't think it see what difference it makes, perhaps you might like to share one or two advantages please as to whether its euro or sterling.

Sorry, I haven't a clue what you are getting at about the PS4 or bikes (unless you are talking about the Welsh Regions?).
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:45 pm

Sin é wrote:Rugby is the Welsh national sport so the BBC as a public service broadcaster would have to have a certain amount on FTA tv. I presume that is why unlike England for instance, they can't sell off the media rights to the highest bidder for the Autumn Internationals.

I'd imagine there are quite a few Irish people living in the UK paying BBC licences who like to tune into the Pro12 on BBC Wales as well.

The only games protected are the Welsh home 6 Nations games. The AI can go to anyone. The WC warm up games can go to anyone. Even the 6 nations away games can go to anyone. None of the domestic rugby is protected.

So the WRU could sell off the rights to the AI but haven't (unlike Ireland) but haven't. This may be down to a condition of funding from the Welsh Assembly, or something like that. But they're not on the protected list. Very few things are because it's a touchy subject legally.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:55 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
Neutralee wrote:

Everyone is subsidising the Irish apparently and it has nothing to do with the quality of the Irish teams. People are just overly generous.  Hug 
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4