The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floyd-Maidana

+19
88Chris05
BoomBoomBaby
SugarRayBray
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Strongback
Mayweathers cellmate
jimdig
Hammersmith harrier
Atila
mobilemaster8
catchweight
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
John Bloody Wayne
AdamT
Pedro147
Dipper Brown
TRUSSMAN66
Mr Bounce
KingMonkey
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Floyd-Maidana Empty Floyd-Maidana

Post by KingMonkey Thu 11 Sep 2014, 12:49 pm

Talk about low key! Here we are,days from a Mayweather fight and it hasn't got a mention. Speaks volumes really doesn't it, I can't say I'm up for it at all but I'll still tune in. Not much on the undercard either....

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Floyd-Maidana Empty Re: Floyd-Maidana

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 11 Sep 2014, 12:57 pm

I think it's because practically everyone believes it'll be a UD for Floyd as he won't allow himself to get roughed up like the first fight between them.

Which probably means that Maidana will now win... Laugh

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 11 Sep 2014, 12:59 pm

The only question mark is Floyd's age...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 11 Sep 2014, 1:08 pm

Can't see Maidana doing anything differently. Rematches tend to be more emphatic versions of the first fight.

Floyd's age will be no issue, in my opinion. He lives clean and is never out of shape, not like he needs to shed weight between fights. Wide UD

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 11 Sep 2014, 1:15 pm

Well that's BS.............When Federer reaches 37 no matter how clean he's lived his reflexes and his tank aren't the same as a 24 year olds...

It's why American footballers, Baseball players, Soccer players, cricketers don't play at the top level at that age..

Fathertime..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 11 Sep 2014, 1:35 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Well that's BS.............When Federer reaches 37 no matter how clean he's lived his reflexes and his tank aren't the same as a 24 year olds...

It's why American footballers, Baseball players, Soccer players, cricketers don't play at the top level at that age..

Fathertime..

So you use examples from different sports to prove your point in relation to boxing? I agree with your point to a certain level but it is not that straight forward. It doesn't take into account the breaks Floyd has had opposed to a 50 week tennis calendar. This is why Murray and Nadal are struggling with injuries so much. Don't know much about baseball or American Football but soccer, cricket and tennis players have a much more packed schedule than someone like Floyd who is only fighting twice per year max.

Since his fight with Hatton in 2007 he has fought 7 times, 8 if you include this weekends fight. So as I say I agree to a certain extent as we all get old but his body has not taken the punishment and gruel of other boxers and/or athletes.

Anyway, his age will not help but being so good even a 90% Floyd is better than most out there in the division if not all of them. What he's lost in reflexes he's gained in experience and smarts. Floyd UD.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 11 Sep 2014, 1:44 pm

I couldn't lift the same at 37 as I could at 25...and I needed more rest between sets..

Boxing is no different than any other sport......Your engine and reaction time isn't as quick..

Look at Holmes at 35 vs Spinks................Look at any fighter that's 37 compared to his younger days..

Leonard looked in slow motion compared to Terry Norris..............How often did he fight ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 11 Sep 2014, 1:50 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I couldn't lift the same at 37 as I could at 25...and I needed more rest between sets..

Boxing is no different than any other sport......Your engine and reaction time isn't as quick..

Look at Holmes at 35 vs Spinks................Look at any fighter that's 37 compared to his younger days..

Leonard looked in slow motion compared to Terry Norris..............How often did he fight ??

But if you're a 37 year old with a better lifting technique than when you were 25 would that not help? Opposed to a 37 year old with the same technique since you were 25. As I said I agree with your statement in principal but it is not as straight forward as you state.

That's the same Ray Leonard who was in rehab at various stages for substance abuse opposed to a gym rat like Floyd. Again it's not always as straight forward as saying this person did that so he's the same.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 11 Sep 2014, 1:56 pm

Was a huge Mayweather fan. Unreal talent but I can not ignore the fact he hardly ever fights the best at their best. Big props for fighting Canelo but other than that, his last few fights have been pretty carefully managed imo.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 11 Sep 2014, 1:57 pm

Mate............Your prime is called your prime for a reason....

Boxing is the same in many ways as other physical sports..........Just as taxing on the system and you need good reaction time....

All the greats struggled in their thirties...............Ali's legs were gone in the 70s..

Why do Managers in Soccer rest older players...........??

Maybe you should try sparring just to see how strenuous it is.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 11 Sep 2014, 1:57 pm

I'm not comparing Floyd at 37 to Floyd at 25. The original fight wasn't 12 years ago was it? Has his health deteriorated over the last 6 months? Doubt it. I don't think his age was an issue last time and I don't think it will be now.

Sure, if he was out of the ring for years at a time and turned into a butterball I'd worry for him (well not worry, but you know what I mean).

It seems you're overly sensitive to anyone challenging your ideal of Floyd as the man who beat old Father Time. Don't get me wrong, I think his longevity is one of the most impressive things about him but I'm not buying it as a mitigating factor in the outcome of this fight, not so soon after the original anyway.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 11 Sep 2014, 1:58 pm

You go to the well..You go to the well and then it's dry..

Why do tennis players start faltering and become also rans.............They are still healthy..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 11 Sep 2014, 2:17 pm

Nobody is arguing that fitness deteriorates over time but Floyd is still an active fighter. Maidana didn't face a prime Mayweather last time, he faced a Mayweather 6 months younger than he is today. Did well and fought the correct fight despite his limitations.

Floyd didn't defeat old Father Time last time out, he defeated a fighter who put in a great shift but ultimately was not as skilled a boxer. I'll concede the fact that the margin of defeat would have been wider against a prime Mayweather but I believe the gulf in talent will still be apparent on Saturday (and probably highlighted more emphatically), whereas the 6 months of ageing won't be an issue. That's my take anyway.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 11 Sep 2014, 2:18 pm

I do hope Angulo, Soto/Molina and LSC are aired.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 11 Sep 2014, 2:31 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Mate............Your prime is called your prime for a reason....

Boxing is the same in many ways as other physical sports..........Just as taxing on the system and you need good reaction time....

All the greats struggled in their thirties...............Ali's legs were gone in the 70s..

Why do Managers in Soccer rest older players...........??

Maybe you should try sparring just to see how strenuous it is.

Yes 40 years ago when nutrition and fitness knowledge was the same as it is now, that's what you're comparing Floyd to now? Really? Perhaps you need to learn that just because someone doesn't 100% agree with your assessment doesn't mean they don't agree at all.

As I said in my first post a 90% Floyd is still too good for Maidana. I don't think anyone is arguing that Floyd is as good as he was a few years ago because he isn't but he doesn't need to be. Also as pointed out, Maidana is fighting Floyd who is only 6 months older than when they first fought.

I'm a Floyd fan so hoping he wins, even if he is a nasty person outside the ring.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 11 Sep 2014, 2:38 pm

Sorry to open a can of worms but peds are helping athletes go longer

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 11 Sep 2014, 2:44 pm

We've had PEDs for the last 40 years.....

Fathertime is fathertime......

Holmes 35 (After Spinks) - "I could see the openings but I just wasn't as quick as I used to be.........When I threw the right he was gone"

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 11 Sep 2014, 2:44 pm

You're not sorry and you'll do it again, ya little mischief maker! Where's D4?

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 11 Sep 2014, 2:51 pm

I am D4, Floyd is a bum and Pacquiao is number 1. Floyds a coward.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 11 Sep 2014, 3:09 pm

There he is!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 11 Sep 2014, 3:24 pm

Pedweather is a coward and I love Manny.

In all seriousness, I have always rated Floyd but there has been a number of times when I would of prefered him to take on a better challenge. Great fighter along with great management. Definitely could of had a greater resume.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 11 Sep 2014, 3:34 pm

I hold him in a similar regard, rate him very highly. With the exception of Pac, peerless for a number of years but I'd have liked to have seen him fight without everything always stacked in his favour.

Obviously I'm just speaking in ideals here as in boxing, the champion or the name makes the rules. Always been the case.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 11 Sep 2014, 4:22 pm

Can't be annoyed stayin up to watch this card. Will catch it when I get up on Sunday.

The only fight I'm looking forward too is Molina vs Soto. Expecting fireworks there
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 11 Sep 2014, 5:42 pm

He is copping a lot of flack in the U.S at the moment for saying the NFL should have stuck to a 2 game ban after a video emerged of a player beating his fiancee unconscious and dragging her out of lift.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 11 Sep 2014, 6:27 pm

I agree Truss. Was watching Floyd vs Chico the other day and he was absolute lightening fast with his jab, left hook and footwork.

Now at 37 he still has fast hands and footwork but no where near as quick or as strong as he was back then.

Father time indeed....question is....when will father time crawl up to bite him in the backside.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 11 Sep 2014, 7:42 pm

AdamT wrote:Sorry to open a can of worms but peds are helping athletes go longer
But they still slow down.

Carl Lewis didn't get any faster when he hit his 30's, and I doubt Usain Bolt will either. Yes, Bolt will still be fast when he's 37 like Mayweather is, and may still make some finals, but I doubt he'll be winning Olympic Golds or setting world records when he's that age.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 11 Sep 2014, 7:53 pm

To be really pedantic MM8, Mayweather at 37 is far stronger than he was when he faced Corrales, the speed is diminishing slightly but not enough to make this an interesting fight, i'm expecting a near enough shut out.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 11 Sep 2014, 10:02 pm

Very pedantic...but true hammer....:-(

Yeh I agree. Should be a shut out. Wonder what can of worms would open if Floyd knocked him out....you know...with Ariza having recently entered the camp.

Be a bit strange.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 11 Sep 2014, 10:07 pm

The Mayweather camp are certainly talking up a knock out more than usual in this one

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 11 Sep 2014, 10:09 pm

Yrh that's why I mentioned it Catch. Noticed that they have been bringing it up the past few weeks.

To be fair....Floyd could have probably stopped Guerrero and JMM...but he takes his foot off and admires his shots when he stuns them. Its bizarre...or maybe his brittle hands stop him? Don't know.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 12 Sep 2014, 10:12 am

Think the older fighters get the more they go the distance......Look at Ali, Leonard, Holmes etc...

Think they become scared of throwing a lot of would-be-finishing combos because they are more wary of the tank for later on ...If they don't get their opponent out of there..

Manny is the same............Last 6 wins have been decisions...

Older you get the more you understand your limitations.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 13 Sep 2014, 12:05 am

Watch "FLOYD MAYWEATHER v MARCOS MAIDANA 2 - OFFICIAL WE…" on YouTube - FLOYD MAYWEATHER v MARCOS MAIDANA 2 - OFFICIAL WE…: https://youtu.be/gZKeQM_lzJ0

Weight in gents

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sat 13 Sep 2014, 2:26 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Think the older fighters get the more they go the distance......Look at Ali, Leonard, Holmes etc...

Think they become scared of throwing a lot of would-be-finishing combos because they are more wary of the tank for later on ...If they don't get their opponent out of there..

Don't forget Hopkins. He hasn't stopped an opponent in 10 years.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sat 13 Sep 2014, 9:11 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
The older you get the more limitations you have. Volume being the problem, pacing being a necessity. Volume punchers can't volume punch, power punchers can't fire power shots with everything on it in the same volumes as they could in their prime. Floyd, Bernard, all have games that allow them to conserve energy for a 12 round game. No point going for it in the first couple of rounds, they'd be spent.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 13 Sep 2014, 10:07 pm

According to boxnation's twitter they're not broadcasting Soto v Molina Sad

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Sat 13 Sep 2014, 10:10 pm

Last thing a fighter loses is his punch.

Hopkins has been fighting at a higher weight for the best part of the last 10 years, and he wasn't really a murderous puncher at middle.

I think it's more to do with taking less risk as you get older. Throw a big shot and you risk getting hit on the counter. Ends up with the old 'afraid to pull the trigger' cliche.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 13 Sep 2014, 10:58 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Manny's also fighting well above his natural weight class.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 13 Sep 2014, 10:59 pm

As is Floyd Strongy.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 13 Sep 2014, 11:04 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:As is Floyd Strongy.

I wasn't intending to make a comparison between the the two.

I expect Floyd can do light welter, Manny probably lightweight.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 13 Sep 2014, 11:26 pm

@JBW: no way!! Molina vs Soto is set to be the most exciting fight of the night. Scandlous that Sant Cruz vs Bum gets shown and Molina vs Soto gets panned pee'd off at that
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 14 Sep 2014, 1:28 am

Bogus undercard only gonna watch the molina fight then turn it off, no buzz for the floyd fight at all

Floyd is ageing but maidana just hasn't got the talent to win, got as good as e could first time and floyd is just superior. Maidana has some momentum but he's been exposed by inferior fighters than floyd

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayBray Sun 14 Sep 2014, 1:44 am

Atila wrote:
AdamT wrote:Sorry to open a can of worms but peds are helping athletes go longer

Carl Lewis didn't get any faster when he hit his 30's, and I doubt Usain Bolt will either. Yes, Bolt will still be fast when he's 37 like Mayweather is, and may still make some finals, but I doubt he'll be winning Olympic Golds or setting world records when he's that age.

Actually, he kinda did. He set a new 100m world record, aged 30, at the 1991 World Championship.

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayBray Sun 14 Sep 2014, 1:47 am

It is possible that Mayweather will have a Jones v Tarver 2 moment...

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 14 Sep 2014, 2:22 am

SugarRayBray wrote:
Atila wrote:

Actually, he kinda did. He set a new 100m world record, aged 30, at the 1991 World Championship.
Laugh

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 14 Sep 2014, 2:37 am

We may not get Soto v Molina, but we do get the joy of Vasquez making Wlad K look like Tyson...

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayBray Sun 14 Sep 2014, 2:38 am

Atila wrote:
SugarRayBray wrote:
Atila wrote:

Laugh

But I get your point :-p.

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 14 Sep 2014, 2:40 am

Does Tony Weeks know he can penalise clinching?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 14 Sep 2014, 3:01 am

Not a bad decision, terrible third scorecard!

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 14 Sep 2014, 3:03 am

Well. That was absolute pathetic. I had 116-114 Vazquez......115-113 was fair enough....119-109 was a clear joke. Absolute disgusting scorecard. Vazquez won in my eyes. No way in hell did Bey dominate that fight ......how corrupt has boxing become by the way??

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 14 Sep 2014, 3:23 am

Any reason why LSC fought that guy?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next