The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floyd will fight Maidana

+31
Hammersmith harrier
kingraf
Atila
KC
Strongback
ONETWOFOREVER
Aveyard01
Gerry SA
horizontalhero
hazharrison
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
KingMonkey
superflyweight
Rodney
catchweight
BallchinianMuffwig
Diamond in the rough
lambertm100
TRUSSMAN66
hogey
88Chris05
Pedro147
Sam_London
TopHat24/7
Rowley
Cass1234
Valero's Conscience
milkyboy
adamk
jimdig
hampo17
35 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Floyd will fight Maidana Empty Floyd will fight Maidana

Post by hampo17 Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:02 am

It's now official. Not a fan of this fight as I don't see what Maidana can do that will cause him any problems, a better fight than Khan in my opinion though.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Floyd will fight Maidana Empty Re: Floyd will fight Maidana

Post by jimdig Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:09 am

The naming process for the opponent bored me so much that I couldn't care less about the fight. I don't think maidana will land clean once. This has 12 round shut out written all over it. So who's up for September for the 37 year old?
Hopefully khan fights broner, that would be much more interesting.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by adamk Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:38 am

So Mayweather asks the "fans" to choose his opponent and he chooses the loser of the poll?! I'm not saying Khan deserves the chance but the "fans" did choose him. Would like to see Danny Garcia get a shot in September but not holding my breath.

adamk

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:07 am

... They must have agreed the deal when maidana took an early poll lead.... Before amir paid all his twitter followers to vote Whistle 

I guess to watch this, you have to be such an admirer of Floyd's skills that you aren't concerned about whether there is even a flicker of doubt about the outcome.

In principle, you always think, with a banger, will he land that one punch? But in this case, you know the answer.

Won't be forking out for this one, but with mayweather being so much better than the rest, there's precious few opponents that I would get excited about, and perhaps manny aside, they'd all involve floyd chancing his arm against bigger guys. I won't be holding my breath.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:07 am

I prefer this over Khan and Maidana has done enough with beating Broner decisively to earn his shot.

They will be able to sell the fight with the 'Floyd getting revenge for his protege' stance.

Should be easy for Floyd but get the feeling he'll try harder than Canelo.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass1234 Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:15 am

I am possibly Floyds biggest fan and think the past couple of years he's actually had a decent run of quality of opponents compared to what most people think, and I could make a case for why most of them deserved a shot (even though others may have been more deserving) But I just cannot make a strong case for Maidana deserving this fight, He has never shown any evidence that he has the capability or the attributes to give Mayweather a semi-decent fight. Its an absolute nothing fight and pointless. Everyone knows what the result is going to be, I just can't see why Mayweather isn't trying to get the fights that he is more than capable of winning and will add to his legacy dramatically.. Leaving no doubts with anyone even his biggest detractors that he is an all time top 10 p4p. I just don't understand WHY he's not going for these fights.

Cass1234

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:29 am

... I think floyd has made what motivates him fairly clear cass.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:44 am

Very true Milky, for any of this to come as anything close to a shock it has to be based on the assumption Floyd gives a flying one for his fans or anything other than his bottom line, think there is more than enough evidence over the last few years to disprove this particular theory so him ignoring the poll should not really shock anyone.

The only thing you can hope is the fight does not do good numbers on PPV, as was the case with Guerrero, if this happens Showtime may force his hand for something a little more intriguing next time out.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:48 am

Looking forward to seeing how the Floyd-train Flomos big this up as some amazing fight, more than anything else.

Glad he got the shot ahead of Khan, as he deserved it more, but would still rather have seen the Khan fight. MM is made for Floyd, will be another glorified sparring session.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_London Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:53 am

milkyboy wrote:... They must have agreed the deal when maidana took an early poll lead.... Before amir paid all his twitter followers to vote Whistle 

How do you pay your twitter followers???

Sam_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_London Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:57 am

Utterly meaningless fight. As I've asked before, what does Maidana have that Cotto, Hatton, Alvarez and Moseley don't have?

Sam_London

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:58 am

He mayyyyyyyy be being facetious.......

That said, you can 'buy' Twitter followers, so it might not be the most absurd concept.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_London Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:12 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:He mayyyyyyyy be being facetious.......

That said, you can 'buy' Twitter followers, so it might not be the most absurd concept.

I have no idea whether he's being facetious or not. I don't use twitter.

Sam_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:22 am

Apparently he will fight MM and then in September he will be fighting Manny in what will be Manny's last fight.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:39 am

I hope you're right Pedro but just can't see Floyd ever fighting Manny. I'm in Vegas that weekend in September so if he is I will be getting a loan for the ticket!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:42 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Looking forward to seeing how the Floyd-train Flomos big this up as some amazing fight, more than anything else.

Also, will Maidana suddenly be elevated in to the top ten pound for pound list now that he's been announced as a Floyd opponent, as Guerrero and Alvarez were?

Is Maidana a modern-day Julio Cesar Chavez and Floyd's greatest ever challenge????...YES!!!....I think he IS!!!!...
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:44 am

At least Maidana earned the shot, and even though he is likely to get beat at least he has that power and intensity that could make a few periods of the fight interesting. The only fighters that have troubled Floyd have been ones that have kept pressure on him Maidana will do that from the first bell it might be more competitive than people think. I am glad the Khan fight has not happened he did not deserve it and other than speed he has nothing to offer, after a round or two Floyd would have worked out his timing and then finished him off in short order.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:52 am

88Chris05 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Looking forward to seeing how the Floyd-train Flomos big this up as some amazing fight, more than anything else.

Also, will Maidana suddenly be elevated in to the top ten pound for pound list now that he's been announced as a Floyd opponent, as Guerrero and Alvarez were?

Is Maidana a modern-day Julio Cesar Chavez and Floyd's greatest ever challenge????...YES!!!....I think he IS!!!!...

Well of course he is top ten pound for pound. He has just beaten a two weight world champion who was seen by many as the next mega star of the sport. Maidana will be the 347th P4P top ten guy Floyd has beaten.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:00 am

Rowley wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:

Well of course he is top ten pound for pound. He has just beaten a two weight world champion who was seen by many as the next mega star of the sport. Maidana will be the 347th P4P top ten guy Floyd has beaten.
And all this after only 372 years at the top!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:01 am

Glad someone else understands the system Dave.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_London Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:03 am

hogey wrote:At least Maidana earned the shot, and even though he is likely to get beat at least he has that power and intensity that could make a few periods of the fight interesting. The only fighters that have troubled Floyd have been ones that have kept pressure on him Maidana will do that from the first bell it might be more competitive than people think. I am glad the Khan fight has not happened he did not deserve it and other than speed he has nothing to offer, after a round or two Floyd would have worked out his timing and then finished him off in short order.

The only thing that troubles Mayweather is speed and say what you like about Amir, he has speed in abundance. Maidana has lost to every skilled fighter he has fought (Khan, Kotelnik and Alexander). Broner is an overated lightweight who was lucky to beat Malinaggi. Sure, Maidana has heart and power but is slow of foot and hand and telegraphs his wild punches. Easy points win, or late stoppage, for Floyd.

Sam_London

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:04 am

I'll moan about this fight........When the knowledgeable fans on here tell me why...

Holmes v Zanon, Ocasio, Cobb, Frazier, Bey, LeDoux, Rodriguez, Frank, Jones, Smith, Evangelista are acceptable...........

Oh and Leon Spinks who had been banged out in 1 by Coetzee.....

That's 12 out of Larry's twenty defences.....

But he's a great who never ducked anybody........

Rowley should know better.......for a start !!

Pathetic....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:19 am

Pedro147 wrote:Apparently he will fight MM and then in September he will be fighting Manny in what will be Manny's last fight.

Super, two fights I don't care about...

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:20 am

Sam_London wrote:
hogey wrote:At least Maidana earned the shot, and even though he is likely to get beat at least he has that power and intensity that could make a few periods of the fight interesting. The only fighters that have troubled Floyd have been ones that have kept pressure on him Maidana will do that from the first bell it might be more competitive than people think. I am glad the Khan fight has not happened he did not deserve it and other than speed he has nothing to offer, after a round or two Floyd would have worked out his timing and then finished him off in short order.

The only thing that troubles Mayweather is speed and say what you like about Amir, he has speed in abundance. Maidana has lost to every skilled fighter he has fought (Khan, Kotelnik and Alexander). Broner is an overated lightweight who was lucky to beat Malinaggi. Sure, Maidana has heart and power but is slow of foot and hand and telegraphs his wild punches. Easy points win, or late stoppage, for Floyd.

Exactly!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by lambertm100 Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:24 am

I have a funny feeling that Maidana catches Mayweather with one of his looping overhand rights and sends money to queer street. Dont' know why but I do.

lambertm100

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:34 am

Broner is overrated now just as Alvarez is........Don't give Maidana any credit for beating a slippery fighter !!

Don't give Maidana credit for anything...

In fact If you like a fighter give him all the credit in the World like Haz does with GGG..

and If you don't just say they are crap and have beaten chaff.......

No doubt Ali was overrated after the fight of the century.....

If Mayweather knocked ward out...He'd be s**te too........

Everything is black and white after all..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:40 am

Laugh 

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:41 am

Floyd will fight Maidana 1347041234 

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:42 am

Sam_London wrote:

You're right Mate I'd have preferred Khan because he's a logistically harder fight.......

I see your argument but won't accept because you lose once you are overrated...

I'll ignore the wally

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:45 am

jimdig wrote:The naming process for the opponent bored me so much that I couldn't care less about the fight. I don't think maidana will land clean once. This has 12 round shut out written all over it. So who's up for September for the 37 year old?
Hopefully khan fights broner, that would be much more interesting.

Since when do champions have to pick somebody that has the same skill set as them ???

Do you think other champions scan a top 10 and say I'll ignore him and him because they won't be able to beat me !!

You are upset because you want to see him beat.............Get over it !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:47 am

Valero's Conscience wrote:I prefer this over Khan and Maidana has done enough with beating Broner decisively to earn his shot.

They will be able to sell the fight with the 'Floyd getting revenge for his protege' stance.

Should be easy for Floyd but get the feeling he'll try harder than Canelo.

The fight sells anyway......Because people like when they watch Taylor at Darts or O'sullivan at snooker...........Want to see the best at their craft....

Won't be coming to watch Maidana.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:49 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Sam_London wrote:

You're right Mate I'd have preferred Khan because he's a logistically harder fight.......

I'll ignore the wally

Who lost once?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:50 am

If I was interested in you I'd quote you...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:56 am

Ok, thought you were talking about MM, not Broner, will retract the question.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:59 am

The khan fight is better to watch entertainment wise and Floyd would prob win by ko! But everyone seems to forget the Diaz fight where he got caught with everything!

MM is a harder fight due to him throwing 900+ punches a fight now! Floyd isn't really troubled by power but a swarmer might trouble him!

Neither should be particularly hard though but he's not exactly fighting a bum here he's a genuine world champion

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:01 am

adamk wrote:So Mayweather asks the "fans" to choose his opponent and he chooses the loser of the poll?! I'm not saying Khan deserves the chance but the "fans" did choose him. Would like to see Danny Garcia get a shot in September but not holding my breath.

I like Garcia but think his style is made for Floyd........

I want to see Bradley If he beats Manny get a shot...........Or Martinez If he can boil down..............

Give Martinez one last big huge pay day......Before he offs into the sunset...........

Manny with Arum guiding him will never happen...It's all about the deal with Arum.......His KO interview a few years ago was all about him telling KO how he beat people in such and such a deal......

They'll never agree...

Good post diamond...............I'm not saying he's the perfect opponent............Just saying look at Larry's list and then moan about Maidana !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:02 am

I'm glad it's not Khan (he has to earn a shot, Molina and a laboured win over Diaz doesn't consitute this) but Maidana hardly moistens the calvins either in terms of opposition. Would have liked to see him back up at LMW against Lara but it's not a money spinner I guess.

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:09 am

Why does Khan have to earn a shot Mate ??.........

I must be missing something with modern day boxing ??.......Because I keep seeing Macklin, Chisora types earning them..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:11 am

And Macklin, Chisora types don't deserve them either! Not in my opinion anyway. The generality should be to beat a couple of top 10's in the division at the very least, but that'll never happen anymore.

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:12 am

Bradley won't get the fight if he beats manny hasn't he just signed a new contract with top rank? He would have to pay arum 10mil for him

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:16 am

Why say Khan has to earn on one then...........Unless you are singling him out ??

Don't recall you moaning about Vitali-Chisora.........

I don't think Khan is the most worthy opponent out there Mate far from it..

Just wish people were more objective..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_London Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:17 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Sam_London wrote:

I'll ignore the wally

Fair enough. I think Broner suffers because he was unfairly compared to Mayweather even though he isn't as talented (although he is a considerable force in his own right).

My personal opinion is that Mayweather has done more than enough to be considered an all time great ( Probably in the top 20 of all time). His resume is a who's who of modern day top names. However, the face that he never fought Manny, when Manny was at his peak, will always be a black mark against him.

Sam_London

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:17 am

Diamond in the rough wrote:Bradley won't get the fight if he beats manny hasn't he just signed a new contract with top rank? He would have to pay arum 10mil for him

Arum could save face where Bradley is concerned on the split......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:17 am

Watch Devon Alexanader v Maidana and then imagine a less competitive fight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:20 am

Sam_London wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Sam_London wrote:

I'll ignore the wally

Fair enough. I think Broner suffers because he was unfairly compared to Mayweather even though he isn't as talented (although he is a considerable force in his own right).

My personal opinion is that Mayweather has done more than enough to be considered an all time great ( Probably in the top 20 of all time). His resume is a who's who of modern day top names. However, the face that he never fought Manny, when Manny was at his peak, will always be a black mark against him.  

I'll buy that.............But will offer the view that where legacy is concerned............People view the record and longevity............

Holmes never fought Page or rematched Witherspoon......Even gave up his belt.............No one remembers that !!

Dempsey never fought the great black fighters of his day !! ....No one cares about that !!

Time heals all wounds my friend......You are generally marked on what you did rather than what you didn't.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:20 am

Sam_London wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Sam_London wrote:

I'll ignore the wally

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:21 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Sam_London wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Sam_London wrote:

I'll ignore the wally

I'll buy that.............But will offer the view that where legacy is concerned............People view the record and longevity............

Holmes never fought Page or rematched Witherspoon......Even gave up his belt.............No one remembers that !!

Dempsey never fought the great black fighters of his day !! ....No one cares about that !!

Time heals all wounds my friend......You are generally marked on what you did rather than what you didn't.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_London Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:24 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Sam_London wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Sam_London wrote:

I'll ignore the wally

Not sure what that's supposed to mean. I'd put him Mayweather top twenty rather than top ten due to the fact he never fought Manny.

Sam_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:26 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Sam_London wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Sam_London wrote:

I'll ignore the wally

It's kind of different now with modern technology etc the amount of articles and arguments the whole thing caused will be hard forgotten!

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:27 am

I'd have to see your top 20 list Sam...........

But he'd be the first fighter in history to be marked down for not fighting somebody Mate.

Top 10 for me kid

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next