The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floyd will fight Maidana

+31
Hammersmith harrier
kingraf
Atila
KC
Strongback
ONETWOFOREVER
Aveyard01
Gerry SA
horizontalhero
hazharrison
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
KingMonkey
superflyweight
Rodney
catchweight
BallchinianMuffwig
Diamond in the rough
lambertm100
TRUSSMAN66
hogey
88Chris05
Pedro147
Sam_London
TopHat24/7
Rowley
Cass1234
Valero's Conscience
milkyboy
adamk
jimdig
hampo17
35 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Floyd will fight Maidana - Page 3 Empty Floyd will fight Maidana

Post by hampo17 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 7:02 am

First topic message reminder :

It's now official. Not a fan of this fight as I don't see what Maidana can do that will cause him any problems, a better fight than Khan in my opinion though.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Floyd will fight Maidana - Page 3 Empty Re: Floyd will fight Maidana

Post by KingMonkey Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:19 pm

Maidana will bring it, no doubt, but I don't see him catching Floyd. In recent times it has only been a fresh Mosley who has done that and Maidana is no Sugar Shane in terms of speed. I see Maidana trying to rough Floyd up but, as so many have found, Mayweather is a superb inside fighter and he gets pummelled.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:21 pm

Good to see Maidana get a good payday........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Aveyard01 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:38 pm

Looking forward to this purely for the fact it will make floyd look good, and when that happens he looks unreal. Who else is there? I think the fact that opponents you would say have a chance all fight at higher weights (Bradley even mentioning WARD!) is it unfair to expect a 36/7 year old to fight above his natural weight and give up all the advantages that go with that? The calls for floyd to fight at mw given his build are frankly ridiculous. So then, to live ww's...available, and who bring something to the table. Maidana ticks those boxes ( I prefer khan after a ww fight or two) he has a strap, porter isnt a name, bradley unavailable. I was thinking about how perception plays a huge factor in boxing (eg froch groves, but thats another debate) A fighter i would love to see is paulie malignaggi in there

Aveyard01

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:41 pm

Aveyard01 wrote:Looking forward to this purely for the fact it will make floyd look good, and when that happens he looks unreal. Who else is there? I think the fact that opponents you would say have a chance all fight at higher weights (Bradley even mentioning WARD!) is it unfair to expect a 36/7 year old to fight above his natural weight and give up all the advantages that go with that? The calls for floyd to fight at mw given his build are frankly ridiculous. So then, to live ww's...available, and who bring something to the table. Maidana ticks those boxes ( I prefer khan after a ww fight or two) he has a strap, porter isnt a name, bradley unavailable. I was thinking about how perception plays a huge factor in boxing (eg froch groves, but thats another debate) A fighter i would love to see is paulie malignaggi in there

Bradley
Garcia
Manny
Lara

??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:44 pm

I'd really like to see Floyd step outside of Vegas for once. A year from now and Khan could be far more viable, maybe Brook so I'd like to see him over here in a stadium fight. It'd be a genuine legacy enhancer and something we haven't seen him do for a long time. He won't though because it'd be too many things stacked against him and hes not going to take the risk.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:44 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Aveyard01 wrote:Looking forward to this purely for the fact it will make floyd look good, and when that happens he looks unreal. Who else is there? I think the fact that opponents you would say have a chance all fight at higher weights (Bradley even mentioning WARD!) is it unfair to expect a 36/7 year old to fight above his natural weight and give up all the advantages that go with that? The calls for floyd to fight at mw given his build are frankly ridiculous. So then, to live ww's...available, and who bring something to the table. Maidana ticks those boxes ( I prefer khan after a ww fight or two) he has a strap, porter isnt a name, bradley unavailable. I was thinking about how perception plays a huge factor in boxing (eg froch groves, but thats another debate) A fighter i would love to see is paulie malignaggi in there

Bradley
Garcia
Manny
Lara

??

Garcia is a LWW and Floyd would just be accused of beating up a smaller man.
Manny and Bradley are signed to fight each other, and we all know the issues surrounding the cross promotional bodies anyway.
Lara is a LMW would be a good fight however he likely gets outclassed and then people start calling him overrated like they do with Canelo.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:47 pm

Nice piece my friend..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:47 pm

KingMonkey wrote:I'd really like to see Floyd step outside of Vegas for once.  A year from now and Khan could be far more viable, maybe Brook so I'd like to see him over here in a stadium fight.  It'd be a genuine legacy enhancer and something we haven't seen him do for a long time.  He won't though because it'd be too many things stacked against him and hes not going to take the risk.

When you want to see the King you travel TO HIM.

Mayweather has earned the right to stay home. Unbeaten in more then 16 years, p4p champ.

Khan needs to stop complaining. He has played himself, not Floyd who played him.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:49 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
KingMonkey wrote:I'd really like to see Floyd step outside of Vegas for once.  A year from now and Khan could be far more viable, maybe Brook so I'd like to see him over here in a stadium fight.  It'd be a genuine legacy enhancer and something we haven't seen him do for a long time.  He won't though because it'd be too many things stacked against him and hes not going to take the risk.

Mayweather has earned the right to stay home. Unbeaten in more then 16 years, p4p champ.

Khan needs to stop complaining. He has played himself, not Floyd who played him.
Thanks TRUSS

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:50 pm

hampo171 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Bradley
Garcia
Manny
Lara

??

Garcia is a LWW and Floyd would just be accused of beating up a smaller man.
Manny and Bradley are signed to fight each other, and we all know the issues surrounding the cross promotional bodies anyway.
Lara is a LMW would be a good fight however he likely gets outclassed and then people start calling him overrated like they do with Canelo.

No, Floyd walks around at 154, and comes in at 150 for LMW fights. His skills carry him at LMW but he's a WW fighter. Plus, he blew up at 135lber to fight at 144 (albeit turning up at 146) so no reason he can't fight Garcia similarly. Fights either side of 147 are do-able for Floyd, IF he cared to chase them.

Either Manny or Brad would ditch their fights for a PBF pay-day, so that's no defence.

Lara, don't care if/how Floyd beats him, he's still a better option than MM.

Last edited by TopHat24/7 on Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:51 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

Thanks TRUSS

ONETWO...I'm proud to have you as an alias !! thumbsup 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:51 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

Thanks TRUSS

Grow up ffs

children picard

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Nice piece my friend..

Of course it is....... Rolling Eyes

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:52 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

Yeah, I get that, but with the amount of worthwhile foes dwindling and fights to sell he'll need to find a 'hook' especially after cruching Maidana. He'll look more invincible than ever!

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:55 pm

How does anybody know what weight Floyd is at the moment and how does anybody know apart from Floyd himself what is do-able......

I mean come on..............Did you phone Floyd and ask him !! Laugh Laugh 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:56 pm

KingMonkey wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

Yeah, I get that, but with the amount of worthwhile foes dwindling and fights to sell he'll need to find a 'hook' especially after cruching Maidana.  He'll look more invincible than ever!
He could embark on a SRR, ALI style world tour but at his age I don't see that. Anyway the longer he is unbeaten the easier it is to sell fights.

That's the power of the O my friend

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:57 pm

All aboard the excuse train...... Choo! Choo!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:58 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:How does anybody know what weight Floyd is at the moment and how does anybody know apart from Floyd himself what is do-able......

Laugh  Laugh  Laugh 

Unbelievable some on here TRUSS  Laugh  Laugh

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:59 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
KingMonkey wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

Yeah, I get that, but with the amount of worthwhile foes dwindling and fights to sell he'll need to find a 'hook' especially after cruching Maidana.  He'll look more invincible than ever!
He could embark on a SRR, ALI style world tour but at his age I don't see that. Anyway the longer he is unbeaten the easier it is to sell fights.

That's the power of the O my friend

I agree my friend...Just wish I had an open line to Floyd like some lucky souls on here........ Laugh 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 5:01 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:How does anybody know what weight Floyd is at the moment and how does anybody know apart from Floyd himself what is do-able......

Laugh  Laugh  Laugh 

Unbelievable some on here TRUSS  Laugh  Laugh

Get a room you two.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 5:03 pm

Gerry SA wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Molina was unbeaten and Diaz drew with Shawn porter in the fight before Khan...

You look stupid when you say they are mediocre....

Come on..
Molina is a lightweight. It would be like Wlad beating up a cruiser weight... Pointless.

Diaz is long passed his peak. Yet he still bashed up Khan.

Khan is a joke. Mayweather doesn't do pity...

I was suggesting mediocre is a bit harsh ...................

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 25 Feb 2014, 5:05 pm

You were suggesting I'm stupid by calling them mediocre but that's fine, I can handle that. I still think they're mediocre.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 5:08 pm

I think an unbeaten fighter....... and one that draws with a soon to be world champion in the fight before can't be mediocre.........

You not agree ???................Mediocre is too strong...........Reserve it for journeymen..

BTW Floyd tells me he's 157 with his socks on today !! Floyd will fight Maidana - Page 3 3845856932 

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 25 Feb 2014, 5:11 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 25 Feb 2014, 5:13 pm

157.5 after dipping his socked feet in the pool

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 5:14 pm

157.7 after seeing his girlfriend naked while dipping his socked feet in pool...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 5:15 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I think an unbeaten fighter....... and one that draws with a soon to be world champion in the fight before can't be mediocre.........

You not agree ???................Mediocre is too strong...........Reserve it for journeymen..

BTW Floyd tells me he's 157 with his socks on today !! Floyd will fight Maidana - Page 3 3845856932 

Yaawwwwnnn

Question is, how bad does a Floyd opponent have to get before you don't blow smoke up his/its backside?

How about getting MAB out of retirement for a 150lb catchweight fight??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 5:16 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:157.7 after seeing his girlfriend naked while dipping his socked feet in pool...

Why the extra .2? Because he picks up a blunt instrument to beat her with..??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 25 Feb 2014, 5:20 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I think an unbeaten fighter....... and one that draws with a soon to be world champion in the fight before can't be mediocre.........

Haha that's just quality

class Laugh  Laugh  Laugh

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 5:22 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

Haha that's just quality

class Laugh  Laugh  Laugh

I aim to please... thumbsup 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 5:24 pm

Slurp....slurp......can almost here the salad tossing from here!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 5:29 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Slurp....slurp......can almost here the salad tossing from here!

Fancy you talking about salad.. Wink 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 5:31 pm

Fancy you making a joke that a) was actually funny; and b) wasn't about worshipping Floyd.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 5:35 pm

Still fairplay Mate...At least you've heard of salad...Unlike half of the fighters you comment on everyday here !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 25 Feb 2014, 6:13 pm

Amir's daddy had his eye on 150 houses for sale in Bradford. Only £12,000 each.

He's cussin' Floyd now.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by KC Wed 26 Feb 2014, 3:55 am

Why is it frankly ridiculous? He's a champion @ LMW therefore a fight with a champ from the weight above is a natural one to make. There have been plenty of examples in boxing history of fighters testing themselves by fighting outside of their natural weight division, Greb, SRR, SRL to name but a few. This is what made them great, the fact that they sought out challenges which enhanced their legacy, it's also what stops Mayweather from being in the top tier of ATGs [in my opinion].
Why bother having a poll if you're just going to ignore it when it doesn't yield the response you want?
Can hardly be seen to be "giving the public what they want" now, can he?

KC

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed 26 Feb 2014, 5:36 am

KC wrote:

Why is it frankly ridiculous? He's a champion @ LMW therefore a fight with a champ from the weight above is a natural one to make. There have been plenty of examples in boxing history of fighters testing themselves by fighting outside of their natural weight division, Greb, SRR, SRL to name but a few. This is what made them great, the fact that they sought out challenges which enhanced their legacy, it's also what stops Mayweather from being in the top tier of ATGs [in my opinion].
Why bother having a poll if you're just going to ignore it when it doesn't yield the response you want?
But Floyd has already moved up to fight heavier fighters above his weight class. Winning the title at 154lbs should be suffice. What you are saying is that you want him to move up two weight classes. If he moved up and beat Martinez then what? A fight with Andre Ward or Carl Froch?

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 26 Feb 2014, 5:53 am

He could just ask Martinez to move down - a concession Martinez would gladly make.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by KC Wed 26 Feb 2014, 6:07 am

Atila wrote:
KC wrote:

But Floyd has already moved up to fight heavier fighters above his weight class. Winning the title at 154lbs should be suffice. What you are saying is that you want him to move up two weight classes. If he moved up and beat Martinez then what? A fight with Andre Ward or Carl Froch?

As kingraf rightly points out, it's well documented that Martinez has offered to fight @ LMW against Mayweather.

Greb often fought LHWs & HWs who outweighed him by 20, 30 or 40 pounds - bigger doesn't always mean better.

KC

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed 26 Feb 2014, 6:17 am

KC wrote:
Atila wrote:
KC wrote:

As kingraf rightly points out, it's well documented that Martinez has offered to fight @ LMW against Mayweather.

Greb often fought LHWs & HWs who outweighed him by 20, 30 or 40 pounds - bigger doesn't always mean better.
I didn't know that Martinez has offered to move down to 154lbs. Basically then, it's not really a fight with the champion at a weight above.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 26 Feb 2014, 7:40 am

Posted this on another thread about Floyd fighting GGG, as it still sums my views up as well as I can manage:

Was Golovkin a fully fledged monster and stone wall cert for being a top five at middleweight nobody would be calling for the fight. As you have alluded to he has looked good so far, but against reasonably second tier opposition. He is also relatively inexperienced at world level. As such those of us asking for the fight are not really asking Floyd to challenge King Kong. My own personal view is Floyd’s clear edges in experience and skill are adequate compensation for the physical advantages enjoyed by GGG and so the fight is a pick em at worst.

As others have said would not overly criticize Floyd as and when it does not happen but do get baffled by the position of some on here. Surely fans should want to see fights that get their juices flowing and where they can’t pick a winner. Do get the feeling sometimes that there are folk on here who are members of the Mayweather family or on a percentage of his future purses so desperate are they to see him take fights that will not trouble his 0.

As a post script to this over the festive period Boxing News did a top 20 of the fights they would love to see in 2014, Floyd vs GGG was top of the pile, so the idea of them fighting is not completely pie in the sky or the fiction of a bunch of internet people who just want to see him lose.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass1234 Wed 26 Feb 2014, 8:00 am

Agree with Jeff totally on this one, To call a fight that would be 50/50 on paper a ridiculous idea is ridiculous in itself, its a fight more than winnable for Mayweather, I wouldn't ever hold it against Mayweather for it not happening, but as Jeff says why would people NOT want this fight to happen.. I honestly think If Mayweather has an 09-11 Pacquiao, Paul Willliams and Martinez/GGG on his record he would have a very good shout to be number one p4p mose definitely top 3.. These fights could have all been made over the past 5 years that's the most frustrating thing for me when discussing Mayweather, that we discuss the merits of him being top 10 or not when It could of been an absolutely certainty in everyones eyes and so so much more!

Cass1234

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 26 Feb 2014, 9:10 am

As much as I do bash Floyd sometimes, I personally feel 160 is pushing unreasonable also for a guy that started at, what, 130?

There are plenty of fights he's rightly slated for 'missing' (PW @ 154, Martinez @ 154, Cotto @ 147, Manny @ 140/147 etc) but I could not knock him for not fighting a 160lber (given that he gives up weight to 154lbers even).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by KC Wed 26 Feb 2014, 9:12 am

Rowley wrote:Posted this on another thread about Floyd fighting GGG, as it still sums my views up as well as I can manage:

Was Golovkin a fully fledged monster and stone wall cert for being a top five at middleweight nobody would be calling for the fight. As you have alluded to he has looked good so far, but against reasonably second tier opposition. He is also relatively inexperienced at world level. As such those of us asking for the fight are not really asking Floyd to challenge King Kong. My own personal view is Floyd’s clear edges in experience and skill are adequate compensation for the physical advantages enjoyed by GGG and so the fight is a pick em at worst.

As others have said would not overly criticize Floyd as and when it does not happen but do get baffled by the position of some on here. Surely fans should want to see fights that get their juices flowing and where they can’t pick a winner. Do get the feeling sometimes that there are folk on here who are members of the Mayweather family or on a percentage of his future purses so desperate are they to see him take fights that will not trouble his 0.

As a post script to this over the festive period Boxing News did a top 20 of the fights they would love to see in 2014, Floyd vs GGG was top of the pile, so the idea of them fighting is not completely pie in the sky or the fiction of a bunch of internet people who just want to see him lose.

clap 
 thumbsup 

Spot on.
Sometimes get the impression that Mayweather's fanboys are even more obsessed with maintaining his 0 than he is  steam

KC

Back to top Go down

Post by KC Wed 26 Feb 2014, 9:17 am

I'm not saying he has to fight a 160lb boxer but he can't lay claim to be top 10 ATG by staying @ WW & cherry picking his opponents, at least fight someone who will extend you - Pacquaio, Bradley.
And the Bob Arum dispute is just a convenient smokescreen!

KC

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 26 Feb 2014, 9:20 am

But he's not 'staying at WW', he's moved throught the weights from 130 to 135 to 140 to 147 to 154 (ish), and won every time he's entered the ring.

The way you write about him it's as if he's only ever campaigned as a WW.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 26 Feb 2014, 9:28 am

Truss thinks we just want to see him lose, and cites how we critique him differently to others.

We do judge him differently, it's actually a compliment, he's so damn good he gets judged by different standards, and we want him to take the next step up to define his legacy. Some think he owes us this, most I think, like me, think he doesn't, but needs to if he wants to cement that place in the higher echelons of the goat debate.

As for wanting to see him lose I'll say this.

Let's say (for example) a ggg fight could be made. For me its the definitive no lose situation. A potentially competitive fight to look forward to, with doubt about the outcome. If floyd wins, we can marvel at his performance and the cementing of his legacy. If ggg wins, we can revel in the smug grin getting wiped off Floyd's face. Perfect.

(I know truss if floyd wins ggg was hype etc Wink

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 26 Feb 2014, 9:28 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:But he's not 'staying at WW', he's moved throught the weights from 130 to 135 to 140 to 147 to 154 (ish), and won every time he's entered the ring.

The way you write about him it's as if he's only ever campaigned as a WW.

Have to agree with Toppy.....Ouch..

People forget he was a Jr light.............We are talking 30 pounds to middle.....24 to Jr midd............

I'm sure Rowley and KC wouldn't be slagging off Salvador sanchez for avoiding Mike Mccallum..

Funny how people lose perspective when talking about Mayweather.......

Sanchez v Mccallum....Ouch what a mismatch.

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 26 Feb 2014, 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 26 Feb 2014, 10:39 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
People forget he was a Jr light.............

Key word in there is was. I was 8lb six ounces once.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 26 Feb 2014, 10:40 am

What a stupid comment..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 26 Feb 2014, 10:42 am

Not really, does not matter what he was once, it matters what he is now. As a current belt holder at light middle are we really stretching reality to call him a light middle? As such those who would like to see him fight GGG are asking him to go up one division.

Can I ask you a genuine question Truss? Why do you not want to see the fight?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next