The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floyd will fight Maidana

+31
Hammersmith harrier
kingraf
Atila
KC
Strongback
ONETWOFOREVER
Aveyard01
Gerry SA
horizontalhero
hazharrison
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
KingMonkey
superflyweight
Rodney
catchweight
BallchinianMuffwig
Diamond in the rough
lambertm100
TRUSSMAN66
hogey
88Chris05
Pedro147
Sam_London
TopHat24/7
Rowley
Cass1234
Valero's Conscience
milkyboy
adamk
jimdig
hampo17
35 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Floyd will fight Maidana - Page 2 Empty Floyd will fight Maidana

Post by hampo17 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 7:02 am

First topic message reminder :

It's now official. Not a fan of this fight as I don't see what Maidana can do that will cause him any problems, a better fight than Khan in my opinion though.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Floyd will fight Maidana - Page 2 Empty Re: Floyd will fight Maidana

Post by catchweight Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:30 am

Mayweather will be under pressure to deliver a stoppage here. Maybe the fact his recent fights have been boring they want a punchbag who they can try and give a Gatti style beating to and deliver some entertainment. I think Maywather will be under pressure not to stink the place out and to go on the attack in this one.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:34 am

Diamond in the rough wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Sam_London wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Sam_London wrote:
hogey wrote:At least Maidana earned the shot, and even though he is likely to get beat at least he has that power and intensity that could make a few periods of the fight interesting. The only fighters that have troubled Floyd have been ones that have kept pressure on him Maidana will do that from the first bell it might be more competitive than people think. I am glad the Khan fight has not happened he did not deserve it and other than speed he has nothing to offer, after a round or two Floyd would have worked out his timing and then finished him off in short order.

The only thing that troubles Mayweather is speed and say what you like about Amir, he has speed in abundance. Maidana has lost to every skilled fighter he has fought (Khan, Kotelnik and Alexander). Broner is an overated lightweight who was lucky to beat Malinaggi. Sure, Maidana has heart and power but is slow of foot and hand and telegraphs his wild punches. Easy points win, or late stoppage, for Floyd.

You're right Mate I'd have preferred Khan because he's a logistically harder fight.......

I see your argument but won't accept because you lose once you are overrated...

I'll ignore the wally

Fair enough. I think Broner suffers because he was unfairly compared to Mayweather even though he isn't as talented (although he is a considerable force in his own right).

My personal opinion is that Mayweather has done more than enough to be considered an all time great ( Probably in the top 20 of all time). His resume is a who's who of modern day top names. However, the face that he never fought Manny, when Manny was at his peak, will always be a black mark against him.  

I'll buy that.............But will offer the view that where legacy is concerned............People view the record and longevity............

Holmes never fought Page or rematched Witherspoon......Even gave up his belt.............No one remembers that !!

Dempsey never fought the great black fighters of his day !! ....No one cares about that !!

Time heals all wounds my friend......You are generally marked on what you did rather than what you didn't.

It's kind of different now with modern technology etc the amount of articles and arguments the whole thing caused will be hard forgotten!

I see your point Diamond and there is merit in it......However Larry was criticised back in the day........Especially for dumping his belt rather than taking on Page..........

However when you are retired for a length of time......People tend to remember you more fondly..

Cheers.......

Mayweather isn't under any pressure.............People are paying to see a once in a generation product.......Paying homage to a special talent.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:40 am

catchweight wrote:Mayweather will be under pressure to deliver a stoppage here. Maybe the fact his recent fights have been boring they want a punchbag who they can try and give a Gatti style beating to and deliver some entertainment. I think Maywather will be under pressure not to stink the place out and to go on the attack in this one.

Cotto was only 2 fights previous that was a good fight! Can't see him stopping him as he's been in with harder punchers and not been stopped! Can't see it being anything like the gatti fight Floyd doesn't fight or move the same as he did

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:49 am

He will be under pressure to put an a show against such an outmatched opponent. If its a dull one sided 12 round fight then the public will absolutely crap on it. Maidana lost every round against Alexander and could barely beat a washed up Morales.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:54 am

People are paying ..............

1. To see someone they dislike hopefully lose..........
2. To see their hero fight....
3. To see a product they'll never see the like of again.........Sinatra was crap at the end in concert but people wanted to see a legend in their time......
4. He's a world wide brand.

These four things are self evident now and will remain whether he stinks or slaughters Maidana..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by adamk Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:04 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:People are paying ..............

1. To see someone they dislike hopefully lose..........
2. To see their hero fight....
3. To see a product they'll never see the like of again.........Sinatra was crap at the end in concert but people wanted to see a legend in their time......
4. He's a world wide brand.

These four things are self evident now and will remain whether he stinks or slaughters Maidana..

I totally agree with that... Mayweather would make mega money fighting a journeyman from Guadeloupe. I would love to see him fight before he retires and wouldnt be bothered who he fought.

adamk

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:05 pm

Sam_London wrote:
hogey wrote:At least Maidana earned the shot, and even though he is likely to get beat at least he has that power and intensity that could make a few periods of the fight interesting. The only fighters that have troubled Floyd have been ones that have kept pressure on him Maidana will do that from the first bell it might be more competitive than people think. I am glad the Khan fight has not happened he did not deserve it and other than speed he has nothing to offer, after a round or two Floyd would have worked out his timing and then finished him off in short order.

The only thing that troubles Mayweather is speed and say what you like about Amir, he has speed in abundance. Maidana has lost to every skilled fighter he has fought (Khan, Kotelnik and Alexander). Broner is an overated lightweight who was lucky to beat Malinaggi. Sure, Maidana has heart and power but is slow of foot and hand and telegraphs his wild punches. Easy points win, or late stoppage, for Floyd.

Castillo, Cotto, Dela Hoya gave Floyd his hardest fights all done it by applying pressure none are what i would call high speed merchants, other than that we have Judah gave him a bit of trouble for a couple of rounds before he was worked out and outboxed comprehensively. For all this nonsense about speed the only way to beat Floyd is as we have already seen from Castillo when he was robbed is to work hard for 3 minutes of every round banging in shots to the body or wherever you can hit him and take advantage of Floyd's low work rate. I have always thought Manny has a good shot of beating Floyd because he possesses the intensity and also great handspeed, that in my opinion is why you have never seen Floyd in a ring with him.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass1234 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:06 pm

As I said before I am Mayweathers biggest fan, He is without a doubt the best boxer I have watched in my life time and apart from Ali, my favourite boxer of all time, I think he is top 10p4p of all time, but what is frustrating is there is fights out there which are more than winnable that for me could make him a nailed on top 5 !!

Cass1234

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:10 pm

Sam_London wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Sam_London wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Sam_London wrote:

You're right Mate I'd have preferred Khan because he's a logistically harder fight.......

I'll ignore the wally

Fair enough. I think Broner suffers because he was unfairly compared to Mayweather even though he isn't as talented (although he is a considerable force in his own right).

My personal opinion is that Mayweather has done more than enough to be considered an all time great ( Probably in the top 20 of all time). His resume is a who's who of modern day top names. However, the face that he never fought Manny, when Manny was at his peak, will always be a black mark against him.  

Floyd will fight Maidana - Page 2 1347041234 

Not sure what that's supposed to mean. I'd put him Mayweather top twenty rather than top ten due to the fact he never fought Manny.

Wasn't a dig at you.  It was more a reference to previous threads, one in particular that ran for about 15 pages which was exclusively Truss arguing till he was blue in the face against the entire rest of the v2 forum that Floyd was nailed on Top 10 ATG and it was a disgrace to have him anyway else (even 11).

Last edited by TopHat24/7 on Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:11 pm

Sorry Hogey but JMM worked Manny out..........You also forget that Castillo got beaten in the rematch....with no controversy..

My guess is Floyd had a bad night...........All fighters do.......

People have a nice habit of forgetting Castillo fought Floyd twice..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:17 pm

Horses for courses Truss Bradley worked JMM out, but Manny beat him easy except in the eyes of some visually impaired judges.
The Second Castillo fight was much closer than people think as well Truss and many wanted a 3rd match, Floyd did not want to know.
Its all a styles thing Floyd Beats JMM easy he is made to measure for him, but Manny is a completely different fighter one who presents the problems that would give Floyd problems in my opinion.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:19 pm

It will be like Gatti 2.

Let's hope no one buys it

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:22 pm

In fairness Truss, you're right in saying that, in its simplest terms, there is nothing wrong or laughable with this fight from the outset. Maidana is a good fighter. A proven and capable fighter at world level, who is coming off an impressive win and who is also one of the hardest-hitting Welters out there. He also holds a title currently, so it's hardly an absurd idea that he gets matched with the proper, consensus champion at the weight, who also happens to be the best pound for pounder on the planet.

But here's the rub. He isn't regarded by anyone as the most difficult fight out there for Mayweather in or around his weight class, be it in terms of style, current form, size etc. We've already seen, more than once, what beats him. He's highly likely to be one of these fighters who is only viable as a Floyd opponent for a tiny little window of time (never has been before, never will be again afterwards), just a convenient 'because he's there' kind of deal. His selection as an opponent just looks a shade cynical on Floyd's part, confirming that Mayweather only seems interested in taking genuinely risky assignments if he absolutely has to these days.

Just about all of the above applied to Ortiz, just about all of the above applied to Guerrero, and they all apply to Maidana. You could argue that some of them applied to Cotto as well. No qualms with the Alvarez fight from me, but if you look at those last few fights, that doesn't give Floyd all that good a strike rate. It's forgivable, but less so if it keeps happening.

Lots of elite-level fighters have done the same as this, and in some cases it can be out of their hands somewhat, but Floyd will naturally be judged by more stringent standards - and so he should. It's not as if he'd be short on fight offers; he's the biggest name in the sport and the big pay day they all want. He reminds everyone that all roads lead to him and he can fight whoever he wants, whenever he wants, wherever he wants. He's called himself the greatest boxer in history, too. You could argue that people expect too much of it, but he's brought some of that on himself and his position of power over who he fights is rightly going to lead to criticism if he takes on men who flatter to deceive, or who shouldn't be right at the front of the queue.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:22 pm

hogey wrote:Horses for courses Truss Bradley worked JMM out, but Manny beat him easy except in the eyes of some visually impaired judges.
The Second Castillo fight was much closer than people think as well Truss and many wanted a 3rd match, Floyd did not want to know.
Its all a styles thing Floyd Beats JMM easy he is made to measure for him, but Manny is a completely different fighter one who presents the problems that would give Floyd problems in my opinion.  

I don't recall many wanting a third match........and Mayweather is a better version of JMM and will be fighting a poorer version of Manny than the one JMM worked out..............

Not that it matters but JMM doesn't give Manny a prayer...............

Rod would rather watch Louis v Galento on PPv..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:26 pm

88Chris05 wrote:In fairness Truss, you're right in saying that, in its simplest terms, there is nothing wrong or laughable with this fight from the outset. Maidana is a good fighter. A proven and capable fighter at world level, who is coming off an impressive win and who is also one of the hardest-hitting Welters out there. He also holds a title currently, so it's hardly an absurd idea that he gets matched with the proper, consensus champion at the weight, who also happens to be the best pound for pounder on the planet.

But here's the rub. He isn't regarded by anyone as the most difficult fight out there for Mayweather in or around his weight class, be it in terms of style, current form, size etc. We've already seen, more than once, what beats him. He's highly likely to be one of these fighters who is only viable as a Floyd opponent for a tiny little window of time (never has been before, never will be again afterwards), just a convenient 'because he's there' kind of deal. His selection as an opponent just looks a shade cynical on Floyd's part, confirming that Mayweather only seems interested in taking genuinely risky assignments if he absolutely has to these days.

Just about all of the above applied to Ortiz, just about all of the above applied to Guerrero, and they all apply to Maidana. You could argue that some of them applied to Cotto as well. No qualms with the Alvarez fight from me, but if you look at those last few fights, that doesn't give Floyd all that good a strike rate. It's forgivable, but less so if it keeps happening.

Lots of elite-level fighters have done the same as this, and in some cases it can be out of their hands somewhat, but Floyd will naturally be judged by more stringent standards - and so he should. It's not as if he'd be short on fight offers; he's the biggest name in the sport and the big pay day they all want. He reminds everyone that all roads lead to him and he can fight whoever he wants, whenever he wants, wherever he wants. He's called himself the greatest boxer in history, too. You could argue that people expect too much of it, but he's brought some of that on himself and his position of power over who he fights is rightly going to lead to criticism if he takes on men who flatter to deceive, or who shouldn't be right at the front of the queue.

clap
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:26 pm

88Chris05 wrote:In fairness Truss, you're right in saying that, in its simplest terms, there is nothing wrong or laughable with this fight from the outset. Maidana is a good fighter. A proven and capable fighter at world level, who is coming off an impressive win and who is also one of the hardest-hitting Welters out there. He also holds a title currently, so it's hardly an absurd idea that he gets matched with the proper, consensus champion at the weight, who also happens to be the best pound for pounder on the planet.

Now scroll up to my Holmes post about 17 down from the start of the thread and comment on the 12 out of 20 defences Holmes picked...........The Holmes who proclaimed himself the greatest ever and the one you give a free ride to........

and talk stringently about that.......because I know you too well on here to think you could possibly have double standards..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:29 pm

I am not too fussed what JMM says mate, he still thinks he beat Bradley, Manny has the style, Speed and intensity to give Floyd real problems.
I do agree Maidana will be fairly easy pickings for Floyd and he clearly is taking the fight because its low risk, but i think it might have a few interesting moments, one thing about Chico he will not be beaten by the mind games before he gets in the ring he will be coming to win from first till last.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass1234 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:34 pm

Holmes for me is a totally different scenario, he isn't really comparable to Mayweather, talent wise or the options he had available to him.. Mayweather is a top 10 p4p for me, but for a lot of people he isn't. With the talent he has and the fights he COULD of had and would of more than likely won thas wouldn't even be debateable, that's the most frustrating thing for me..

Cass1234

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:37 pm

Manny is too easy to hit for me Hogey................Love to have seen a 147 pound Starling (who got up for big fights!!) dismantle him........Starling was great at turning the shoulder also...

Always thought Manny who comes in ....on a straight line would be countered to death.........

Envisage Honey-Starling 2.......When I think of Floyd-Manny............

I think he's made for Floyd........You don't..........and It's fairplay Mate......I respect your opinion as I do 90% of guys on here even If I can be blunt at times........

Certainly want severe drug testing If Floyd ever did fight Manny........I've never bought Manny in the past and I still don't...........

Guy was a flyweight at 22..........and I don't see Mccallum struggling with Michael carbajal........

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:38 pm

By the way welcome aboard the 606 machine Cass......

The Holmes comment is bollox...........Holmes is every bit as comparable..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:44 pm

Not surprising and can't be met with any kind of enthusiasm.  

Floyd can fight whoever he wants and he's perfectly entitled to a "nothing" fight if he can get away with it, but can't see how anyone can be excited by this fight.  

I do look forward to the D4 style revisionism developing over the coming weeks though.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:46 pm

Always good to look forward to something............Like an Independent Scotland !! devil 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:46 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Manny is too easy to hit for me Hogey................Love to have seen a 147 pound Starling (who got up for big fights!!) dismantle him........Starling was great at turning the shoulder also...

Always thought Manny who comes in ....on a straight line would be countered to death.........

I think he's made for Floyd........You don't..........and It's fairplay Mate......I respect your opinion as I do 90% of guys on here even If I can be blunt at times........

Certainly want severe drug testing If Floyd ever did fight Manny........I've never bought Manny in the past and I still don't...........

Guy was a flyweight at 22..........and I don't see Mccallum struggling with Michael carbajal........

Too be fair i would be surprised if both of them have not dabbled in the dark arts of performance enhancement, certainly lots of rumours of going around about Floyd and failed drugs tests a while ago as well. I am fairly skeptical about any fighter who comes through weight divisions so easily these days, which takes the shine off of them a bit for me.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:53 pm

hogey wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Manny is too easy to hit for me Hogey................Love to have seen a 147 pound Starling (who got up for big fights!!) dismantle him........Starling was great at turning the shoulder also...

Too be fair i would be surprised if both of them have not dabbled in the dark arts of performance enhancement, certainly lots of rumours of going around about Floyd and failed drugs tests a while ago as well. I am fairly skeptical about any fighter who comes through weight divisions so easily these days, which takes the shine off of them a bit for me.

Mate you could be right...........You know how I feel about Ped use in sports...........

When the best Doctors are working against the system..........You have a problem...............

Mayweather started at 130.............Manny was fighting at Fly at 22...............

But like you say................Who is to know..........But I'd certainly want regular testing before I fought the filipino.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass1234 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:55 pm

Cheers Trussmate.. Been a long time reader, basically every day since the BBC days.. Never really felt the need to comment due to fear of getting ripped apart by the more knowledgeable posters.. (though I doubt anyone has as much experience either actually boxing as me or the amount of Professionals Ive been around) but Im now on a tour of afghan and the days are literally dragging by, so hence me commenting more often.. Anyway enough of me back on topic, For me personally there not comparable, (I mean I agree Holmes does get an easy ride for his opposition and Mayweather has fought a far higher calibre of opponent) I just think there is fights Mayweather could of had that would make such a difference to how people view him, for Holmes there isn't too many people I could think of if any that could push his standing higher up.

Cass1234

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:58 pm

Khan hasn't fought at WW. He got KTFO by Garcia and since then has laboured against mediocre opponents and has now been inactive for far too long. If anyone can tell me how Khan, on the back of that, can give Floyd any more issues than Maidana then I'll be suprised. He'll come to rumble, he won't shy away and he packs a punch.

Floyd beats him of course but Maidana deserves the shot far more.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:01 pm

Molina was unbeaten and Diaz drew with Shawn porter in the fight before Khan...

You look stupid when you say they are mediocre....

Come on..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:01 pm

You're wasting your breath Cass, Mayweather could've announced Curtis Woodhouse as his next fight and Truss would still bloke smoke up Mayweathers backside. As for the drug testing , as fans do we give a toss anymore ? It's been done to death , Mayweather wants no part of Pacquiao for whatever reason.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:03 pm

I did comment that it wasn't a perfect choice.......Roddy..

Mate I've written a Burns-Hart article....You'd be better spent commenting on there...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:16 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Certainly want severe drug testing If Floyd ever did fight Manny........I've never bought Manny in the past and I still don't...........

Me too, with all A AND B test results publicised, so that no cheat can just pay to keep them secret......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:17 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hogey wrote:

Mate you could be right...........You know how I feel about Ped use in sports...........

When the best Doctors are working against the system..........You have a problem...............

Mayweather started at 130.............Manny was fighting at Fly at 22...............

Same weight at the same age. Same Trussman still full of the same Poopie.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:19 pm

Cass1234 wrote:Cheers Trussmate.. Been a long time reader, basically every day since the BBC days.. Never really felt the need to comment due to fear of getting ripped apart by the more knowledgeable posters.. (though I doubt anyone has as much experience either actually boxing as me or the amount of Professionals Ive been around) but Im now on a tour of afghan and the days are literally dragging by, so hence me commenting more often..  Anyway enough of me back on topic, For me personally there not comparable, (I mean I agree Holmes does get an easy ride for his opposition and Mayweather has fought a far higher calibre of opponent) I just think there is fights Mayweather could of had that would make such a difference to how people view him, for Holmes there isn't too many people I could think of if any that could push his standing higher up.

Tour of Afghan ?? ..........Are you in a rock band ??... Laugh 

Good boy....You are doing a good job....and keep commenting.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:23 pm

So happy that Khan got swerved, done nothing to earn the shot and has turned down shots against the likes of Alexander and Brook chasing floyd and now he's got nothing to go for, so happy

That said, maidana-Flpyd doesn't set the pulses racing and if it's PPV (which it will) then I won't pay for it. Maidana right now is the harder fight as floyd can KO khan whenver he wants whereas maidana will at least bring the fire and can take a lot of punishment too. He has also improved his boxing but he's no match for floyd

The fact is there isn't a huge challenge for floyd at 147 unless you want to dip into topranks stable which won't happen

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass1234 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:30 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Cass1234 wrote:Cheers Trussmate.. Been a long time reader, basically every day since the BBC days.. Never really felt the need to comment due to fear of getting ripped apart by the more knowledgeable posters.. (though I doubt anyone has as much experience either actually boxing as me or the amount of Professionals Ive been around) but Im now on a tour of afghan and the days are literally dragging by, so hence me commenting more often..  Anyway enough of me back on topic, For me personally there not comparable, (I mean I agree Holmes does get an easy ride for his opposition and Mayweather has fought a far higher calibre of opponent) I just think there is fights Mayweather could of had that would make such a difference to how people view him, for Holmes there isn't too many people I could think of if any that could push his standing higher up.

Tour of Afghan ?? ..........Are you in a rock band ??... Laugh 

Good boy....You are doing a good job....and keep commenting.....

Laugh Never thought of it like that, had the pleasure of working with quite a few of your USMC, great blokes. find it hilarious finding out they used to get issued with cards before joint op tours saying "Do not fight with the English, Do not drink with the English, Do not gamble with the English. YOU WILL LOSE"  Laugh 

Cass1234

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass1234 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:33 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:So happy that Khan got swerved, done nothing to earn the shot and has turned down shots against the likes of Alexander and Brook chasing floyd and now he's got nothing to go for, so happy

That said, maidana-Flpyd doesn't set the pulses racing and if it's PPV (which it will) then I won't pay for it. Maidana right now is the harder fight as floyd can KO khan whenver he wants whereas maidana will at least bring the fire and can take a lot of punishment too. He has also improved his boxing but he's no match for floyd

The fact is there isn't a huge challenge for floyd at 147 unless you want to dip into topranks stable which won't happen

Agree with all that, (apart from I wlll be watching the fight as its always a pleasure watching Mayweather for me) There is definitely no challenge at 147 though apart from the obvious, I just don't get why at this stage in his career when he's set up financially for life he doesn't start chasing the hardest challenges (and lets be honest he wouldn't even have to chase) and really cementing his legacy in EVERYONES eyes.

Cass1234

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:51 pm

Couple of things: Maidana may hold an alphabet title at 147 but he's really a junior welterweight whose most high-profile wins at 147 came against a blown up lightweight and a fellow junior welterweight.

Also, Mayweather isn't the consensus welterweight champion. Junior middleweight yes but not welterweight.

I don't have a problem with this fight. If Floyd wants to select opponents he knows he can beat for the most money available then that's fine and more power to him. Money, and it's accumulation, is his overriding objective as a boxer -- he makes no bones about that and fans just need to accept that.

Please, though, let's put an end to this top ten all-time great nonsense. The truly legendary fighters dared to be legends. They actively sought out other great fighters to test themselves against; merely being one of the best welterweights in the world wouldn't have sufficed for these men.

You can't have your cake and eat it. You can't accept that Floyd's taking easy fights for big money and expect him to be ranked alongside Ray Leonard. In my opinion, it's doing the true legends of the sport a gross disservice.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:51 pm

Like Hagler ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:55 pm

Funny thing is If Mayweather stayed at 130 or Oscar did..........and cleaned up crap for seven years like Hagler at middle..

Haz would say "Please none of this top 10 crap because they never moved up in weight and tested themselves"..........

"The past was better because it isn't now".........Great line and how true when it comes to Boxing..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:55 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Like Hagler ??

Hagler fought everyone he was mandated to -- other than towards the end of his reign where he chose Ray Leonard over Herol Graham.

Hardly the same thing. I'm bored of debating Hagler anyway. I'm sure the rest of the posters are just as sick of seeing him crop up.

There comes a point where you just have to look at what you're defending and ask yourself why? Being a die-hard fan doesn't mean you have to defend everything the fighter does or doesn't do.

I took Lennox Lewis personally growing up but he still annoyed me to death with that bad habit he had of taking his eye off the ball.

Last edited by hazharrison on Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:56 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Funny thing is If Mayweather stayed at 130 or Oscar did..........and cleaned up crap for seven years like Hagler at middle..

Haz would say "Please none of this top 10 crap because they never moved up in weight and tested themselves"..........

"The past was better because it isn't now".........Great line and how true when it comes to Boxing..

I've never criticised a boxer for not "moving up". Andre Ward could stay at 168 for life for me and it wouldn't affect my opinion on him.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 2:00 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Funny thing is If Mayweather stayed at 130 or Oscar did..........and cleaned up crap for seven years like Hagler at middle..

Might actually have got the Manny fight at least.......or maybe not.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 2:02 pm

Mayweather has moved up from 130 to jr midd........Just beaten the number 1 guy there.......

Michael Spinks routinely came in at 171............Hagler fought Hamsho twice, Obelmijas twice, Roldan, Lee, Vito...........but couldn't be bothered with Spinks..

and Hearns who'd never fought at middle was his best win !!............Haz is moaning Maidana hasn't fought at Floyd's weight !!

Hagler gets a pass on Spinks...That isn't a lack of ambition..

You gotta laugh...........Or you'd cry..

Mayweather never tried to seek out the best..........But Hagler did apparently...

We'll agree to disagree............Don't want to argue.......

BTW You'll have Toppy agreeing with you to try to wind me up...........My advice is to ignore him like I do..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 25 Feb 2014, 2:13 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Mayweather has moved up from 130 to jr midd........Just beaten the number 1 guy there.......

Michael Spinks routinely came in at 171............Hagler fought Hamsho twice, Obelmijas twice, Roldan, Lee, Vito...........but couldn't be bothered with Spinks..

and Hearns who'd never fought at middle was his best win !!............Haz is moaning Maidana hasn't fought at Floyd's weight !!

Hagler gets a pass on Spinks...That isn't a lack of ambition..

You gotta laugh...........Or you'd cry..

Mayweather never tried to seek out the best..........But Hagler did apparently...

We'll agree to disagree............Don't want to argue.......

BTW You'll have Toppy agreeing with you to try to wind me up...........My advice is to ignore him like I do..

1. Moving up in weight isn't a precursor to greatness. Manny Pacquiao achieved a similar leap, as did Tommy Hearns. I'd rate a fighter who stayed at one weight and fought all of their top peers over a guy who moved through numerous divisions without meeting their greatest rival.
2. I'm not moaning about Maidana not having fought at 147 as that's incorrect -- he's fought there numerous times.
3. I'm not sure Hagler "gets a pass on Spinks" as it was never an issue and so there's no reason to give anyone a pass. Hagler was the bigger name (and a career middleweight) and Spinks couldn't make 160. The fight was never anything more than a couple of whispers.
4. Hagler fought everyone he had to in order to get a title fight. He then fought everyone he was mandated to afterwards.

Last edited by hazharrison on Tue 25 Feb 2014, 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 2:14 pm

We'll agree to disagree Mate..........

Just think you don't give him enough credit for his achievements..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 25 Feb 2014, 2:16 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:We'll agree to disagree Mate..........

Just think you don't give him enough credit for his achievements..

I think he's the most successful boxer who's ever lived. That's his aim and so I'm sure he'd be happy with that.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 25 Feb 2014, 2:27 pm

I thought you didn't give fighters credit for winning catchweight matchups Truss ? Or does that only apply to fighters that are not named Mayweather ?

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 2:48 pm

Rodney wrote:I thought you didn't give fighters credit for winning catchweight matchups Truss ?

Yeh, that one magically changed over-night.....

Same as how we never get "10-1-1" anymore now Truss has decided the Boxrec result is all that matters (helps Bradley to p4p#3 and ATG status).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 2:50 pm

lambertm100 wrote:I have a funny feeling that Maidana catches Mayweather with one of his looping overhand rights and sends money to queer street. Dont' know why but I do.

Have a funny feeling.........They'll be plenty on here saying...I told you all a long he was crap"..........right after !! thumbsup 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue 25 Feb 2014, 2:53 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Sam_London wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Sam_London wrote:

I'll ignore the wally

I'll buy that.............But will offer the view that where legacy is concerned............People view the record and longevity............

Holmes never fought Page or rematched Witherspoon......Even gave up his belt.............No one remembers that !!

Dempsey never fought the great black fighters of his day !! ....No one cares about that !!

Time heals all wounds my friend......You are generally marked on what you did rather than what you didn't.

Not sure that people don't remember that though Truss, everytime Larry is dicussed his lack of defining fights, poor quality of oppostion, losing twice to a LHW, the dodgy decision over Witherspoon etc are always mentioned, and considered when rating him, -I have never heard anyone rate larry as a top tenner, and v.rarely in their top 20, which would suggest that these shortfalls are factored by most. FMJ is however discussed in those terms, and therefore the scrutiny paid to opponents is fair.
And as far as Dempsey goes, most fans accept that the colour line prevented lots a talented black fighter getting the fights they deserve, but you have to look at Dempsey's record in the context of those times, and on top of that it is only the real hard core of fans than held anything more than a cursory knowledge of most of the fighrers around those days, whereas we are all very well informed about those currently operating, and as such are in a more informed postion to judge.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:17 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Molina was unbeaten and Diaz drew with Shawn porter in the fight before Khan...

You look stupid when you say they are mediocre....

Come on..
Molina is a lightweight. It would be like Wlad beating up a cruiser weight... Pointless.

Diaz is long passed his peak. Yet he still bashed up Khan.

Khan is a joke. Mayweather doesn't do pity...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next