The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leinster v Munster

+22
asoreleftshoulder
LordDowlais
profitius
The Saint
TJ
Rory_Gallagher
glamorganalun
LeinsterFan4life
Notch
VinceWLB
PredictorofTeams
FecklessRogue
Sin é
GoodinTightSpaces
MunsterMac
Golden
wolfball
George Carlin
Submachine
thebandwagonsociety
SecretFly
ME-109
26 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Leinster v Munster - Page 3 Empty Leinster v Munster

Post by ME-109 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 11:22 am

First topic message reminder :

Game on next weekend. Its Wednesday and not one insult thrown....seems to show the lack of lustre about this fixture these days. Probably given its been mostly one way over the last few years...

Anyhow. Looks like a full Landsdowne Road, POM back for Munster.

Given the way Munster are playing it could be an embarrassment. But hey we live in hope.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Leinster v Munster - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster v Munster

Post by ME-109 Tue 07 Oct 2014, 1:52 pm

GoodinTightSpaces wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
Sin é wrote:
GoodinTightSpaces wrote:just on a side note from leinster being awful, i think munster need to take alot of credit for the victory. dispite 4 yellow cards (which they will have to look at) they completely dismantled leinster.

Axel's take on the Yellow Cards - BJ's and Varley's were wrong calls.

thescore.ie wrote:Asked for his view of the refereeing of the encounter, Foley explained that he disagreed with the decisions surrounding Varley and Botha’s exits.

“I thought what Eoin Reddan did was petulant in terms of throwing the ball off Damien Varley. He had the opportunity to pass it to a Leinster player. Other referees would have viewed that the same, it’s something that shouldn’t be in the game of rugby.

We’ve got to make sure that we don’t get this crossover with soccer, fellas diving and milking penalties. I think it’s a physical game and a game that needs to be managed.

“You look at that yellow card, it’s not a yellow card. I don’t think it would have been a try. If it was a try-scoring thing, I would have agreed with a yellow card, but it was out of the 22.

“BJ’s thing is a point of law. If there’s no ruck formed, which there wasn’t, he’s entitled to play the ball from that direction within the laws of the game. I know it looks horrible, it looks wrong, but it’s actually a rule in the game of rugby. BJ was entitled to do that.

“BJ knows the rules, he’s a World Cup winner, he knows what he’s entitled to do there. There was no ruck called, so he’s entitled to immediately play the ball there.”

http://www.thescore.ie/anthony-foley-munster-leinster-referee-1709066-Oct2014/

He thought Dave Foley's was deserved, but ref was inconsistent as similar situation arose with Leinster pulling down a maul.

The other area where Leinster are masters off is in terms of the "Not rolling away" penalty. Redden is always throwing a hissy fit at the breakdown and the knee dropped (not to hurt but to stop them from moving away) on the tackling player by a Leinster forward is a particular favourite of theirs.

for me if you can get away with why not.

No argument here, in the run up to Varleys yellow Leinster got two penalties doing the exact same thing. Why not indeed but its a bit soccerish no?

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Tue 07 Oct 2014, 1:56 pm

Sin é wrote:
GoodinTightSpaces wrote:just on a side note from leinster being awful, i think munster need to take alot of credit for the victory. dispite 4 yellow cards (which they will have to look at) they completely dismantled leinster.

thescore.ie wrote:Asked for his view of the refereeing of the encounter, Foley explained that he disagreed with the decisions surrounding Varley and Botha’s exits.

“I thought what Eoin Reddan did was petulant in terms of throwing the ball off Damien Varley. He had the opportunity to pass it to a Leinster player. Other referees would have viewed that the same, it’s something that shouldn’t be in the game of rugby.

We’ve got to make sure that we don’t get this crossover with soccer, fellas diving and milking penalties. I think it’s a physical game and a game that needs to be managed.

“You look at that yellow card, it’s not a yellow card. I don’t think it would have been a try. If it was a try-scoring thing, I would have agreed with a yellow card, but it was out of the 22.

“BJ’s thing is a point of law. If there’s no ruck formed, which there wasn’t, he’s entitled to play the ball from that direction within the laws of the game. I know it looks horrible, it looks wrong, but it’s actually a rule in the game of rugby. BJ was entitled to do that.

“BJ knows the rules, he’s a World Cup winner, he knows what he’s entitled to do there. There was no ruck called, so he’s entitled to immediately play the ball there.”

He thought Dave Foley's was deserved, but ref was inconsistent as similar situation arose with Leinster pulling down a maul.

I was actually thinking the same when I saw it myself. BJ made the tackle got to his feet and played the ball. No ruck away you go. But watching the replay there was another red jersey on the ground at the breakdown. Just because ruck is not called does not mean it is not a ruck.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Tue 07 Oct 2014, 2:02 pm

ME-109 wrote:
GoodinTightSpaces wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
Sin é wrote:

The other area where Leinster are masters off is in terms of the "Not rolling away" penalty. Redden is always throwing a hissy fit at the breakdown and the knee dropped (not to hurt but to stop them from moving away) on the tackling player by a Leinster forward is a particular favourite of theirs.

No argument here, in the run up to Varleys yellow Leinster got two penalties doing the exact same thing. Why not indeed but its a bit soccerish no?

i dont think so. there are loads of examples in rugby, Neil Back, Quinny vs Toulouse in 08!

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 07 Oct 2014, 2:04 pm

GoodinTightSpaces wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
GoodinTightSpaces wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
Sin é wrote:

i dont think so. there are loads of examples in rugby, Neil Back, Quinny vs Toulouse in 08!

True...I guess its what you can get away with...some refs are more aware than others which is where it gets contentious.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Tue 07 Oct 2014, 2:42 pm

Look at what a rugby ref has to be aware of at say a ruck v a soccer ref making a decision on a tackle. Is the tackle legal, did he roll away, did the first man in have any involvement in the tackle, if so did he release before going back in, did tackled player release the ball in good time, did counter ruck use arms, come in from the side, join from behind the back foot, are those not involved behind the back foot? And at least a ruck is fairly stationary, trying to police all of that in a maul is much more difficult.
I think most refs get far to0 much stick on here and elsewhere. It is an extremely difficult job. They all make mistakes but the ones who tend to get the plaudits are the good communicators who can have a bit of banter with the players. The more regimented, stickler types like Alain Rolland get stick but he was still a great ref.
What about Nigel Owens, he makes just as many mistakes as the next ref?  Yeah but Nigel Owens has got personality. Personality goes a long way.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 07 Oct 2014, 4:00 pm

Submachine wrote:Look at what a rugby ref has to be aware of at say a ruck v a soccer ref making a decision on a tackle. Is the tackle legal, did he roll away, did the first man in have any involvement in the tackle, if so did he release before going back in, did tackled player release the ball in good time, did counter ruck use arms, come in from the side, join from behind the back foot, are those not involved behind the back foot? And at least a ruck is fairly stationary, trying to police all of that in a maul is much more difficult.
I think most refs get far to0 much stick on here and elsewhere. It is an extremely difficult job. They all make mistakes but the ones who tend to get the plaudits are the good communicators who can have a bit of banter with the players. The more regimented, stickler types like Alain Rolland get stick but he was still a great ref.
What about Nigel Owens, he makes just as many mistakes as the next ref?  Yeah but Nigel Owens has got personality. Personality goes a long way.

+1 Totally agree.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 08 Oct 2014, 11:31 am

Only actually caught the full game on Monday I think - in Welsh! - which may be a 'celtic' language, but where them Celts came from I'll never know with that language of theirs.  They must be the Martian strain of Celts wot did build the Pyramids in Egypt before getting to Wales for a rest and some relieving, cooling rain.

Anyway, quite impressed by Munster!  Some say Leinster didn't play well (well, maybe they didn't, that's their business) - some say they weren't let play (I'd treat that as actually another insult to Munster)  No, what seemed to happen in certainly the first half is that Munster simply played Leinster off the field with a degree of intensity and flared nostrils that I haven't seen from them in quite a while.  Some guys were playing out of their skins.

Old Foley might be the right man for the right job after all!  Good stuff.  But his Irishness is letting him down.  Could he not even have a stab at some "Good on ye, mite" stuff for the media just to make me feel more comfortable???

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Wed 08 Oct 2014, 12:07 pm

Let's see if they can reproduce it on Friday against the Scarlets.

Getting up for and beating an under-strength Leinster is one thing but what most Munster supporters want is a consistent level of intensity and performance.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 08 Oct 2014, 12:14 pm

MunsterMac wrote:Let's see if they can reproduce it on Friday against the Scarlets.

Getting up for and beating an under-strength Leinster is one thing but what most Munster supporters want is a consistent level of intensity and performance.

I'm comparing their own game... not judging it on the lack lustre Leinster presence. I'm talking Munster simply looking sharper and hungrier around the filed, and being Smart with the ball. If those attributes cling, and there is no reason they shouldn't, and no reason they shouldn't even consolidate and improve now through the season, then they'll be a handful down the line for any Pro12 team.

I'm talking about what they were doing in their own right, and that didn't require a bad Leinster team in front of them - they simply bossed the game with old Munster values of physicality and subtle smarts.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Wed 08 Oct 2014, 12:43 pm

Fine but it's not against the Leinsters and Toulouses of this world in front of large crowds I'll be judging Munster this season.

It's against the lesser teams in half empty stadia.

We all know how well they can play when the fit takes them and they're 'up for it'.

It's just as a season ticket paying out my hard earned cash to follow them I want them to be 'up for it' all the time.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Wed 08 Oct 2014, 12:50 pm

I don't think it's a question of "up for it". I think there are certain personnel that Munster can't perform well without, Murray and O'Connell being key. If "lesser teams" are facing Munster with Duncan Williams at nine, they have a much better chance of facing a disjointed, laboured team. MUnster have fantastic strength in depth in some positions, but very poor in key areas. (Ulster are the same with a tissue-thin selection of quality backrowers.)

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Wed 08 Oct 2014, 1:23 pm

I don't agree.

Both Murray and POC started against Ospreys last week in a strong team and the team that lost to Ulster's 2nd team last May had Jones, Laulala, Zebo, Keatley, Kilcoyne, Varley, Foley, POC and Coughlan starting with Earls, Murrray and TOD coming on.

I think it's all to do with being up for it and some players such as Murray have admitted as much.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 08 Oct 2014, 1:33 pm

MunsterMac wrote:Fine but it's not against the Leinsters and Toulouses of this world in front of large crowds I'll be judging Munster this season.

It's against the lesser teams in half empty stadia.

We all know how well they can play when the fit takes them and they're 'up for it'.

It's just as a season ticket paying out my hard earned cash to follow them I want them to be 'up for it' all the time.

Grand.  Munster are good.  'Nope, they're bad'.  Munster are bad, 'Now look here Fly!, f**k off, they're not all that bad'.  Wink

Guess I'm the kinda guy that can't be agreed with on principle.  Anyway, I'll stick with my reading.  Foley seems to be finding something that looks far more interesting than last year.  Giant killer?  Nah, would need far more evidence of that of course; you're obviously right there.  But for now, it's okay.  Foley has something to work with so good luck to him so far too.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Wed 08 Oct 2014, 1:43 pm

Weirdly, I was signed out before I got to post the long, conisdered reply I'd written.

Long story short, I take your point, MM. Although we've framed them as such, our arguments aren't mutually exclsuive. Munster need to both be up for it, and also not fielding Duncan Williams or Billy Holland.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Wed 08 Oct 2014, 5:03 pm

Billy Holland is a good soldier who does a job whenever called on.

I am bewildered by the continued presence of Duncan Williams. It says it all that whenever Williams is brought on as a sub there is a collective moan from the crowd.

I'd love to know what the story is with Cahal Sheridan.

It's even more head scratching when watching the EPL highlights on Sundays to see Peter Stringer still doing a job for high flying Bath 2 to 3 years after being shown the door at Munster.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3