The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leinster v Munster

+22
asoreleftshoulder
LordDowlais
profitius
The Saint
TJ
Rory_Gallagher
glamorganalun
LeinsterFan4life
Notch
VinceWLB
PredictorofTeams
FecklessRogue
Sin é
GoodinTightSpaces
MunsterMac
Golden
wolfball
George Carlin
Submachine
thebandwagonsociety
SecretFly
ME-109
26 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Leinster v Munster - Page 2 Empty Leinster v Munster

Post by ME-109 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 11:22 am

First topic message reminder :

Game on next weekend. Its Wednesday and not one insult thrown....seems to show the lack of lustre about this fixture these days. Probably given its been mostly one way over the last few years...

Anyhow. Looks like a full Landsdowne Road, POM back for Munster.

Given the way Munster are playing it could be an embarrassment. But hey we live in hope.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Leinster v Munster - Page 2 Empty Re: Leinster v Munster

Post by George Carlin Sat 04 Oct 2014, 8:15 pm

Back to 13 men again. Munster doing everything they can to lose this.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 04 Oct 2014, 8:15 pm

What did I say about imploding

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 04 Oct 2014, 8:25 pm

Stuart Barnes - "Conor O'Murray"

picard

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 04 Oct 2014, 8:26 pm

4 yellows now. At least that one was necessary to incur.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 04 Oct 2014, 8:27 pm

Brave ref got all those yellows right IMO and the penalty try. Can't remeber when I last saw 4yellows in one game if ever.
Great game - really enjoyed it.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 04 Oct 2014, 8:30 pm

Great game, deserved win for Munster at the end.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 04 Oct 2014, 8:30 pm

Played very much like the Munster of old tonight. That has to be the first time in a few years that Leinster came away from a league game without a single point?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 04 Oct 2014, 8:30 pm

Excellent game - see what happens when Munster goes back to what suits them?

Can't remember the last time Leinster got nul points at home.

Always too early to do a team down but if you're a Leinster fan you have to be a little worried when your best broken field midfield runner is a hooker.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 04 Oct 2014, 8:35 pm

Backline needs an almoghty shakeup. Madigan to 10 and start giving the likes of SCM, Kelleher, Dardis and Adam Byrne some gametime.

On a positive note the Byrne twins look like the real deal. Very impressed.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Oct 2014, 8:48 pm

Good game with plenty of tries, and incidents. Great to watch Munster back to playing as they can. Munsters discipline let them down in the 2nd half, but a deserved win nonetheless.

Leinster never really seemed to get into it, and didn't make the most of their chances when 2 men up. Gopperth aimlessly kicking the ball away didn't help.

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 04 Oct 2014, 8:53 pm

I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed by it all. Leinster were just not very good and I thought we were like complete headless chickens with regards to all the yellow cards and except for the plays making the two penalties in the second half we were fairly poor.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 04 Oct 2014, 9:04 pm

ME-109 wrote:I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed by it all. Leinster were just not very good and I thought we were like complete headless chickens with regards to all the yellow cards and except for the plays making the two penalties in the second half we were fairly poor.

I'd agree with that. Happy but not overly excited about the win.  

Physicality was impressive but there wasn't much guile out there from either team. Munster blew them away at the breakdown in the first half. Second half Munster were just happy to sit back and kick the ball away.

BJ Botha should be fined a weeks wages after that yellow card. Brainless/

As for Leinster, Gopperth was a joke. Their backrow were quiet. Sean Cronin and the Byrne twins looked good.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sun 05 Oct 2014, 9:48 am

Really enjoyed that game last night, it was a good advert for our league, and how many times have we said that this season ? There is a high standard of rugby being played so far and with games now being aired on sky more fans will start to tune in. This gan only be good for the Pro12.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 05 Oct 2014, 11:35 am

LordDowlais wrote:Really enjoyed that game last night, it was a good advert for our league, and how many times have we said that this season ? There is a high standard of rugby being played so far and with games now being aired on sky more fans will start to tune in. This gan only be good for the Pro12.

You sure, Lord?  This fan didn't bother watching!!! ...on the secret streamed illegal feed Wink  I was busy anyway, but still, had it been on terrestrial I might have picked up bits and pieces as I moved between houses!

Right now, even at this early point, I can safely say I watched a helluvah lot more Pro12 last year than this year.  
Sky?  Sky Sport?  Me?  A virtual non-sport fan of every other damned sport you might mention ... and an absolute non drama-box-set fan Wink.  
Nope, I have no general need to pay Sky subscription fees, so I'll catch some of the games on terrestrial, a few on stream but mostly I've consigned myself to watching LESS Pro12 this year.

That's not to say the Sky deal doesn't make sense to the teams in the Pro12 in this PRL/Top14 dominated world.  It obviously does make a lot of financial sense to them and good luck to them.  But I'm not all that certain at all that MORE fans tune in with the move to Sky

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sun 05 Oct 2014, 11:47 am

SecretFly wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Really enjoyed that game last night, it was a good advert for our league, and how many times have we said that this season ? There is a high standard of rugby being played so far and with games now being aired on sky more fans will start to tune in. This gan only be good for the Pro12.

You sure, Lord?  This fan didn't bother watching!!! ...on the secret streamed illegal feed Wink  I was busy anyway, but still, had it been on terrestrial I might have picked up bits and pieces as I moved between houses!

Right now, even at this early point, I can safely say I watched a helluvah lot more Pro12 last year than this year.  
Sky?  Sky Sport?  Me?  A virtual non-sport fan of every other damned sport you might mention ... and an absolute non drama-box-set fan Wink.  
Nope, I have no general need to pay Sky subscription fees, so I'll catch some of the games on terrestrial, a few on stream but mostly I've consigned myself to watching LESS Pro12 this year.

That's not to say the Sky deal doesn't make sense to the teams in the Pro12 in this PRL/Top14 dominated world.  It obviously does make a lot of financial sense to them and good luck to them.  But I'm not all that certain at all that MORE fans tune in with the move to Sky

People who have sky sports, to watch other sports, like football or boxing or the Ryder cup, might think, oh hang on, there is nothing else to watch, and if am paying for sky sports, so I might try out that Pro12 rugby that they are showing, and with the quality of rugby we are serving up so far this season, it might just, only a little, cause people to think, hang on, those Celts are onto something here, and it might get people on board.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 05 Oct 2014, 12:12 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
People who have sky sports, to watch other sports, like football or boxing or the Ryder cup, might think, oh hang on, there is nothing else to watch, and if am paying for sky sports, so I might try out that Pro12 rugby that they are showing, and with the quality of rugby we are serving up so far this season, it might just, only a little, cause people to think, hang on, those Celts are onto something here, and it might get people on board.

True Lord.  BUT............and it's a massive BUT................ BUT...the Sky deal has the potential to lose me! Wink  Now you folks don't want to lose me!!! - an already paid-up Celt mouthpiece rugby nut???  Whistle

Okay................ yis don't have to answer that one then......................................

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 05 Oct 2014, 1:41 pm

A good win from Munster's perspective. Maybe too good from Ireland's perspective.

It seems that O'Connor & Goppert are copping a lot of flac on tinternet. Leo Cullen or any of the forwards seem to have got away (as usual) without any mention. Leinster need to drop Heislip as captain and appoint Rob Kearney. Anyone see the image of Heislip in the dressing room at half time? Laughable!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 05 Oct 2014, 1:49 pm

Kearney? The Flaming Eagle of Cinematically Gorgeous Frown?

Are you guys serious? Kearney for Captain? He does okay sometimes...sometimes he don't. Sometimes he huffs and puffs and it gets him somewhere, sometimes he huffs and puffs and he's ten yards back from where he started his huffs and puffs.

Much too much junk written about Rob Kearney, and the way he might look at you if you had a pint.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 05 Oct 2014, 2:01 pm

Unfortunately, Kearney is probably the only option. Possibly Ruddock (if he has secured his starting spot).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 05 Oct 2014, 2:05 pm

Sin é wrote:A good win from Munster's perspective. Maybe too good from Ireland's perspective.

It seems that O'Connor & Goppert are copping a lot of flac on tinternet. Leo Cullen or any of the forwards seem to have got away (as usual) without any mention. Leinster need to drop Heislip as captain and appoint Rob Kearney. Anyone see the image of Heislip in the dressing room at half time? Laughable!

How would that help,do you think Kearney is holding back some sort of fantastic leadership that he could be showing just cos he's a vice captain and not the full captain.I know Munster prefer the Scrappy Doo type of captaincy that PoM uses but our problems run far deeper than that.

MoC gets flack cos he's been head coach for a year and the team gets worse the longer he's in charge (reminds me of Ireland under Kidney),he is also the defense coach so you would assume that it was at his direction that we left the rucks light on numbers to have a strong line across the pitch.Why you would do this against a team with no real threat in the backs (some threat from the wings but centres not good enough to give them useful ball) only he can answer.

Gopperth is getting flack cos in the 3 home games this year has directly contributed to a try for each of our opponents.He also continuously kicks the ball away and even worse he kicks it badly.We can only hope that Madigan gets the nod at 10 soon as while he still has a long way to go to be a top player he deserves the chance to try.Gopperth is a decent player when on form but he is woefully far away from being on form now.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 05 Oct 2014, 2:47 pm

Sin é wrote:Unfortunately, Kearney is probably the only option. Possibly Ruddock (if he has secured his starting spot).

I'll wait until we see what happens in Europe for the first few games there before I get around to finally opting to Decaptainise O'Connor.  That's the real area of seeming fragility.  He just doesn't seem to have the tactical awareness to have control of a team of Leinster's ability and expectancy.  The Leicester fans yawned when he left them.  With ringing endorsements like that you gotta feel he wasn't the right choice.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by FecklessRogue Sun 05 Oct 2014, 3:05 pm

Jaysus Leinster are sh!te. Remind me of a mid-table Aviva Premiership team. They drain enthusiasm for the game of rugby right out of me. If we're going to be a cr@p team could we at least be cr@p with a bit of style like the good old days?

Fly, to be fair Leinster had almost no time to find a Schmidt replacement. But team Ireland takes precedence.

Sin I'm with you on Heaslip not being a good captain. As his brief tenure as Ireland captain showed. A fullback would not be my preferred choice though.
FecklessRogue
FecklessRogue

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 05 Oct 2014, 3:50 pm

Make Sexton Captain in absentia like Cotter was Scottish coach in absentia.

Sexton could write in his weekly orders and Skype through his motivational halftime speeches.

Don't laugh... it's a goer.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sun 05 Oct 2014, 9:21 pm

Any word on McFaddens injury? Looked pretty bad from where I was sitting, but havent had the will to watch it back yet.

Leinster are just getting progressively worse under MOC so I think the stick he get is warranted. Goppereth kicking the ball away aimlessly when Munster are down two men was so infuriating, hopefully Madigan gets a chance in the 10 shirt soon. Changing captain would have very little impact on the team IMO except possibly knocking Heaslips confidence.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 05 Oct 2014, 10:28 pm

Like I say... give it the pool stages of the RCC and let's see where O'Connor's true form is.  If Leinster look like a lame duck out of their depth then that's what they truly will be and it'll be time to pay off O'Connor and find a much more driven coach.  
He says it was a dream job to get Leinster but he's never looked honest in that claim.  If he felt he was given the keys to a racing car and felt he had the driving skills to make it purr then.............. well, he's either over-sold his driving skills so far or he's taken the keys of a heap of schit disguised by a few go-fast furry dice!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 05 Oct 2014, 10:35 pm

Do Leinster have the players to be the force they once were? They seem to lack a lot of fire power in their back line.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun 05 Oct 2014, 10:38 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Sin é wrote:A good win from Munster's perspective. Maybe too good from Ireland's perspective.

I know Munster prefer the Scrappy Doo type of captaincy that PoM uses but our problems run far deeper than that.

As opposed to what? The Scooby Doo type of captaincy like J'Aime offers. picard

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 05 Oct 2014, 10:40 pm

Injuries have crippled the backline and the whole team really. Putting Zane and Fitzy into the backline along will make the world of difference and Sexton can't come back quick enough!

Having said that we really do need to start bringing through the likes of Crosbie, SCM, Adam Byrne and Kelleher. We aren't mixing things up in the backline at all. Fanj has started every game so far for example.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 05 Oct 2014, 11:05 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Do Leinster have the players to be the force they once were?  They seem to lack a lot of fire power in their back line.

I guess the point is that with Mr EasyStreet, we're never going to find out.  But Leinster always has been more than O'Driscoll - the philosophy was always to play fast and cute.  O'Connor is supposedly a fast and cute expert but he's bluffing someone - either us or himself.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 05 Oct 2014, 11:07 pm

FecklessRogue wrote:Jaysus Leinster are sh!te. Remind me of a mid-table Aviva Premiership team. They drain enthusiasm for the game of rugby right out of me. If we're going to be a cr@p team could we at least be cr@p with a bit of style like the good old days?

Fly, to be fair Leinster had almost no time to find a Schmidt replacement. But team Ireland takes precedence.

Sin I'm with you on Heaslip not being a good captain. As his brief tenure as Ireland captain showed. A fullback would not be my preferred choice though.

Schmidt recruited O'Connor (and they knew about a year ahead because Schmidt intended to leave at the end of the following season anyway to go back to New Zealand).

As for Heaslip - before the game the tv cameras in the dressing room showed him shouting and roaring (very quiet in the Munster dressing room in contrast). This is him at half time  - he'd make you want to Crying or Very sad

https://i.servimg.com/u/f39/16/53/77/41/dressi11.jpg

Another thing worth noting about him - he keeps looking around when being interviewed - makes him look very shifty.

Last edited by Sin é on Sun 05 Oct 2014, 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun 05 Oct 2014, 11:19 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:Do Leinster have the players to be the force they once were?  They seem to lack a lot of fire power in their back line.

I guess the point is that with Mr EasyStreet, we're never going to find out.  But Leinster always has been more than O'Driscoll - the philosophy was always to play fast and cute.  O'Connor is supposedly a fast and cute expert but he's bluffing someone - either us or himself.

Not to sure about that....BOD has been the catalyst as player and leader of that group for quite some time. Life after him is turning out to be something else entirely. That is of course disregarding the MOC factor...if there is one.

Regarding the comment concerning MOC being equal to Kidney. The fact is Schmidt got out at the right time knowing the team was on the wane which was obvious from their HC results. Its about the players...similar to DK. Holy Joe had a set first team that rarely changed they did well for him but once they started to wane then the signs were there.

Speaking of. It will be interesting to see how Ireland go now with BOD gone.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 05 Oct 2014, 11:28 pm

Sin é wrote:
As for Heaslip - before the game the tv cameras in the dressing room shouting and roaring (very quiet in the Munster dressing room in contrast). This is him at half time  - he'd make you want to Crying or Very sad

Another thing worth noting about him - he keeps looking around when being interviewed - makes him look very shifty.

Dear God, Sin Yahoo You've never forgiven him for........................... for wearing his denims below his jockeys.  Anyway, that's just a side note on your eternal plan to have Heaslip dropped - from anything he's part of.  The magic words is 'Drop him' -and all because his style was to drop 'em.
Anyway, I'm being sidetracked.  My main point was that reference to a quiet Munster dressing room?  Is this the New Plan by Foley after Emailgate?  A quiet Munster dressing room, eh???  Might be on to something there - although a quiet, orderly dressing room did scare the living schit out of poor Paulie when he was with them horridly robotic Lions lads.  He said the idea of no talking under Captain Warburton put the bejasus up him.... he didn't seem to like the approach.

Last edited by SecretFly on Sun 05 Oct 2014, 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 05 Oct 2014, 11:33 pm

ME-109 wrote:
Speaking of. It will be interesting to see how Ireland go now with BOD gone.

Neither one of us has to worry about that now, ME. It'll be 15 Ulster men for the foreseeable future... with Sexton benching for Jackson.
Take a break. Our work is done. The future is white.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun 05 Oct 2014, 11:35 pm

Indeed....apparently Darren Cave has become an overnight sensation and now that Ulster have had a similar start to last year anyone in a white shirt is fandabbydoozy and should be immediately picked....and that means right now....reminds me of that sketch in the fast show by paul whitehouse

everything is brilliant...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knYOcaQ-x5o

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Mon 06 Oct 2014, 12:03 am

On the fullback for captain idea, it hasn't done Felix any harm. Thought he was outstanding last night as, were the Cronins.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Mon 06 Oct 2014, 9:06 am

ME-109 wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

I know Munster prefer the Scrappy Doo type of captaincy that PoM uses but our problems run far deeper than that.

Good job on missing the point completely. clap

Try reading the full quote,I was asking does Sin think Rob Kearney is holding back on his leadership abilities just cos he's not full captain.If you just want an argument then please jog on.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Mon 06 Oct 2014, 9:14 am

That's not the point at all. We want MoC to get the best out of the players he has right now,most Leinster fans understand we don't have the quality to dominate Europe like we did but we think we can be a lot better than we are right now.If MoC was getting the best out of the players available then there wouldn't be this outcry,we don't expect to win every time but we do expect to compete.

The big thing Leinster fans learned under Schmidt is that if performances are good the results will usually be right.Under MoC we are seeing poor performances consistently and we were afraid that even though we kept sneaking results last year to win the league,eventually our luck would run out.It has now happened and just like Ireland under Kidney,we have a poor coach who looks lost and will only keep ploughing on in the hope that somehow things will work out.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by kunu Mon 06 Oct 2014, 10:22 am

asoreleftshoulder wrote:

That's not the point at all. We want MoC to get the best out of the players he has right now,most Leinster fans understand we don't have the quality to dominate Europe like we did but we think we can be a lot better than we are right now.If MoC was getting the best out of the players available then there wouldn't be this outcry,we don't expect to win every time but we do expect to compete.

The big thing Leinster fans learned under Schmidt is that if performances are good the results will usually be right.Under MoC we are seeing poor performances consistently and we were afraid that even though we kept sneaking results last year to win the league,eventually our luck would run out.It has now happened and just like Ireland under Kidney,we have a poor coach who looks lost and will only keep ploughing on in the hope that somehow things will work out.

Absolutely right. Most of us have been complaining about MOC early last season when we were actually winning games. This is not a knee jerk reaction to a few losses. We may not have the same players of old, but we certainly have the players to compete with that Munster team.

Schmidt was able to rest BOD and Sexton for most games and still get the team to produce a performance, and more importantly some recognisable patterns. MOC's only stamp on Leinster thus far is he's managed to turn the best passing team in Europe into a team who passes behind the person nearly every time -  assuming Gopperth actually gets the pass away and doesn't pass the ball into thin air directly behind him, which he has already done twice in 4 games, leading to an opposition try both times.

MOC wants his players to read the game and the positions of opposition players at every phase and attack accordingly. Isaac Boss described it as more "heads up" style in an interview last season. I suppose this is the reason they're lining up so flat. What MOC apparently refuses to acknowledge is Gopperth isn't good enough to do that. Neither are most of our players. We are not the Aussie national team.
kunu
kunu

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Mon 06 Oct 2014, 10:26 am

for me there are three main issues
1. this one have been overlooked some what but the imjury list is have a huge effect on performances. the reality of the situation it is hard to remain competitive when squad players are playing week in week out. Under Schmeidt Leinster were relatively lucky to have a fairly clean bill of health which allowed fringe players to play with senior players which aided their development.

2. Gopperth. i really dont think he is the up to the standard that leinster need and i think he is left awfully exposed when madigan isnt beside him.

3. MOC.as stated before on this tread he is not giving the players a game plan to preform in my opinion. last year i can count on one hand the number of good performances by leinster. his saving grace was that the team were not playing well but still winning matches.

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 06 Oct 2014, 10:32 am

For me I think it is not unrealistic to think that one of Leinster or Munster could miss out on a top six finish this season, especially when you see the squads that teams like the Cardiff Blues and the Scarlets have, luckily for the big two, three of the Welsh regions are doing all they can to feck things up for themselves, but come international time things could get very interesting.As it stands in no particular order, this is what I can see the top six being at the end of the season:-

Glasgow
Ulster
Ospreys
Scarlets
Munster
Leinster

But it could easily be:-

Glasgow
Ulster
Ospreys
Scarlets
Blues
Leinster or Munster

The second list should be unthinkable, but as we are at the moment, you could easily see one of them missing out.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 06 Oct 2014, 10:37 am

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

Try reading the full quote,I was asking does Sin think Rob Kearney is holding back on his leadership abilities just cos he's not full captain.If you just want an argument then please jog on.

I only suggest Rob Kearney because he is the only one that displays any leadership qualities. Ruddock is another one maybe. J'aime is a bloddy disaster. You just would not want to follow him into battle.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Mon 06 Oct 2014, 11:02 am

Gopperth was absolutely dire and I've no doubt Leinster fans were tearing their hair out when he aimlessly booted the ball away when Munster were down two players. Apart from being a second rate 10, he hasn't a clue how to run the line and inspires no confidence. We buy in a second rate Aussie coach from England and then a second-rate 10 from that rugby powerhouse, Newcastle - what do we expect.

And to those who say we\re blaming it all on MOC, Cullen as forwards coach also has big questions to answer, especially as to how an all-international back row is bullied unmercifully at the breakdown. It's just not good enough to say that Munster were pumped up for this game and played like men possessed especially in the first half. Of course they were, but our back row are supposed to be pro rugby players and allowed themselves to be bullied out of it. As regards Ireland, Ruddock took an almighty step backwards on Saturday, as did Heaslip.

But the problems start inside Gopperth at 9 - it's fair to say that we must have the two slowest SH's in Ireland. Reddan has always been out of the Chris Whittaker school of SH play - two steps sideways before he passes the ball with the result that his 10 and 12 usually have defenders on top of them. OK he makes the odd break but that doesn't balance out his inadequacies elsewhere in his game.

Boss is well over the hill and his passing is as bad as Reddan's - Boss is supposed to be the aggressive type of SH, sniping around the ruck and maul but we're seeing damn all of that in his little cameos. Cooney had his faults but I would have kept him any day and unloaded Boss somewhere else and why Luke McGrath cannot even get on the bench is something only MOC can explain.

As for the Ireland team, Murray (starting) and Marmion (bench) have to be the two SH's in a 23-man squad. After that who knows but there is one 9 - probably the best pure passer we have had in recent years - apparently playing out of his skin for the top team in England right now, Bath. We'll need three SH's for the world cup - as things stand Leinster shouldn't supply any of them.

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Mon 06 Oct 2014, 12:10 pm

just on a side note from leinster being awful, i think munster need to take alot of credit for the victory. dispite 4 yellow cards (which they will have to look at) they completely dismantled leinster.

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 06 Oct 2014, 12:54 pm

Thought the ref had a very solid game.

Munster bossed the breakdown and capitalised on Leinster mistakes (which there were many).
Gopperth was poor.

Leinster had a very weak bench and probably were getting false hype for the quality of their starters. Even in the front row being without Moore, Healy, McGrath and Strauss was tough. Burning through Ross, Furlong (unfortunate knock) and having to switch Bent (as decent LH but sh!te TH) during the game was always going to create problems. Munster front row outplayed them in the loose.
Toner was quiet and there was no graft out of McCarthy (when that is all he can add to a game). POC was typical POC and Foley impressed alot.
Backrow for Leinster, other than Dom Ryan's tackle at the start of the game, were quiet to put it politely. O'Donnell was the marquee loose-forward on the field by some distance and I hope Joe took note.

Unlike some of the previous posts I thought Reddan did very well behind a poor performing pack. Gopperth was useless, 1 intercept and should have been another only for a fortunately call back on a knock-on advantage.

The entire backline was knocked out of shape by MOC faffing about. Doubt we'll hear the true reason behind it and it will be put down as a 'knock' on Kearney in the warmup. But Macken came out of the dressing room to warmup with no bib (so already a starter) before any assessment could have been done on a player. Then if Rob was injured why do you risk him (1) on the bench and (2) substituting him into the game. Madigan was practicing simple kicks 35 metres out from goal centre of the field and was one of the first players out on the field.

Before the routine group warm-ups, the squad assembled on the half way line (west stand) and do their usually run to the corner and along the back of the goal line to get the crowd going and kick off the group warm up sessions. Madigan stayed practicing his kicks. He also didn't vary his angles and distances too much either which they have always done in the past.

Any preparation during the week with the backline was completely thrown out by rejigging so many positions at that late stage (and there did not appear to be any knock on Kearney). Unfortunately I think something is coming to the boil at the Leinster and not in a good way.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 06 Oct 2014, 1:23 pm

Gopperth and O'Connor are dire. Would quite like to see them both axed. Neither are good enough for Leinster.

Decent atmosphere at the match but dont think either of these teams will win anything this year. Neither look particularly strong overall compared to past Munster and Leinster sides.

Brough my 5 year old son to the match for his first game of rugby. On our way in a nice old lady from Munster offered him a big Munster flag to wave at the game. Oh well, at least he enjoyed it.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 06 Oct 2014, 1:26 pm

Sin é wrote:

As for Heaslip - before the game the tv cameras in the dressing room showed him shouting and roaring (very quiet in the Munster dressing room in contrast). This is him at half time  - he'd make you want to Crying or Very sad

We get that you dont like him. Still a class act though. Cool

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 07 Oct 2014, 1:09 pm

GoodinTightSpaces wrote:just on a side note from leinster being awful, i think munster need to take alot of credit for the victory. dispite 4 yellow cards (which they will have to look at) they completely dismantled leinster.

Axel's take on the Yellow Cards - BJ's and Varley's were wrong calls.

thescore.ie wrote:Asked for his view of the refereeing of the encounter, Foley explained that he disagreed with the decisions surrounding Varley and Botha’s exits.

“I thought what Eoin Reddan did was petulant in terms of throwing the ball off Damien Varley. He had the opportunity to pass it to a Leinster player. Other referees would have viewed that the same, it’s something that shouldn’t be in the game of rugby.

We’ve got to make sure that we don’t get this crossover with soccer, fellas diving and milking penalties. I think it’s a physical game and a game that needs to be managed.

“You look at that yellow card, it’s not a yellow card. I don’t think it would have been a try. If it was a try-scoring thing, I would have agreed with a yellow card, but it was out of the 22.

“BJ’s thing is a point of law. If there’s no ruck formed, which there wasn’t, he’s entitled to play the ball from that direction within the laws of the game. I know it looks horrible, it looks wrong, but it’s actually a rule in the game of rugby. BJ was entitled to do that.

“BJ knows the rules, he’s a World Cup winner, he knows what he’s entitled to do there. There was no ruck called, so he’s entitled to immediately play the ball there.”

http://www.thescore.ie/anthony-foley-munster-leinster-referee-1709066-Oct2014/

He thought Dave Foley's was deserved, but ref was inconsistent as similar situation arose with Leinster pulling down a maul.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 07 Oct 2014, 1:43 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

Still as sensitive as ever...and no doubt even more so now. I was just commenting on the different approaches to captaining and giving the example of what J'aime offers using your own rather silly analogy... Cool. Lighten up...by the time this season is finished I think you'll need to be.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 07 Oct 2014, 1:46 pm

Sin é wrote:
GoodinTightSpaces wrote:just on a side note from leinster being awful, i think munster need to take alot of credit for the victory. dispite 4 yellow cards (which they will have to look at) they completely dismantled leinster.

thescore.ie wrote:Asked for his view of the refereeing of the encounter, Foley explained that he disagreed with the decisions surrounding Varley and Botha’s exits.

“I thought what Eoin Reddan did was petulant in terms of throwing the ball off Damien Varley. He had the opportunity to pass it to a Leinster player. Other referees would have viewed that the same, it’s something that shouldn’t be in the game of rugby.

We’ve got to make sure that we don’t get this crossover with soccer, fellas diving and milking penalties. I think it’s a physical game and a game that needs to be managed.

“You look at that yellow card, it’s not a yellow card. I don’t think it would have been a try. If it was a try-scoring thing, I would have agreed with a yellow card, but it was out of the 22.

“BJ’s thing is a point of law. If there’s no ruck formed, which there wasn’t, he’s entitled to play the ball from that direction within the laws of the game. I know it looks horrible, it looks wrong, but it’s actually a rule in the game of rugby. BJ was entitled to do that.

“BJ knows the rules, he’s a World Cup winner, he knows what he’s entitled to do there. There was no ruck called, so he’s entitled to immediately play the ball there.”

He thought Dave Foley's was deserved, but ref was inconsistent as similar situation arose with Leinster pulling down a maul.

The other area where Leinster are masters off is in terms of the "Not rolling away" penalty. Redden is always throwing a hissy fit at the breakdown and the knee dropped (not to hurt but to stop them from moving away) on the tackling player by a Leinster forward is a particular favourite of theirs.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Tue 07 Oct 2014, 1:48 pm

ME-109 wrote:
Sin é wrote:

The other area where Leinster are masters off is in terms of the "Not rolling away" penalty. Redden is always throwing a hissy fit at the breakdown and the knee dropped (not to hurt but to stop them from moving away) on the tackling player by a Leinster forward is a particular favourite of theirs.

for me if you can get away with why not.

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next